Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Tea Light
Tea Light with Frosted Music Staff Candle Holder

-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
58 registered members (augustm, almo82, AZNpiano, 16 invisible), 952 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Gombessa] #2665927
08/03/17 02:19 PM
08/03/17 02:19 PM
UK
lolatu Offline
1000 Post Club Member
lolatu  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
UK
Originally Posted by Gombessa
The pre-caching is "install disk pre-caching." Which I assume is if you install the library on a separate/external hard drive; it assumes your boot disk is faster, and will load a portion of the attack samples onto the boot disk. Who knows why it needs this the library is installed on your main disk/partition already.

According to the help text, "Increase the value in the Inst. Disk Pre-Caching menu to load more of the beginning of played notes into RAM. This gives your hard drive more time to stream the rest of the note." So it's referring to RAM caching of the disk where you installed it.

I have 1.5GB RAM allocated. At startup, it shows 182MB used with 16kB cache. That seems like a very small amount of data for a 45-second startup time.

I think it must actually load the whole of each file and then discard everything but the first 16k. Yes very inefficient. When you first select the Pre-caching amount ideally it would write that 182 MB to disk so that it would load almost instantly next time.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2666347
08/05/17 08:53 AM
08/05/17 08:53 AM
Michigan USA
T
TonyDIGITAL Offline
TonyDIGITAL  Offline
T
Michigan USA
Just bought also the CFX Lite and am very please with the tone / dynamic.
I'm using the default settings and it's already very pleasant.
What are your favorite settings? There are lots of Preset so it's hard for a beginner like me.
Also there's an update from Jan. 2017 with adding Timbre / improved Half-Pedaling.
Does anyone know whether this update has been already integrated into the current download? Garritan does not post version number so it's quite confusing.
Would be great if you folks can share your current version numbers.
Thank you

[Kawai VPC1/ES100, VST/ranking: Garritan CFX Full > VILabs Italian Grand / Ravenscroft 275 > Pianoteq 6 Stage Bluethner, Ableton Live 9 Lite, Tascam US2x2, SMSL HP-AMP, Schiit Fulla 2, Sennheiser HD700 / Sony MDRV6, Presonus E5+T10, iloud micro monitors, Mackie BIG KNOB]
Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2666364
08/05/17 10:54 AM
08/05/17 10:54 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
C
CyberGene Online content
2000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
Sofia, Bulgaria
Latest update should be included in your download so no worries. Cheers!

Last edited by CyberGene; 08/05/17 10:54 AM.

Soundcloud Profile - solo piano compositions, arrangements, reharms
Currently: Kawai ES7 -> Garritan CFX
Previously: Kawai MP6, Kawai CA63, Roland RD-700SX, Roland FP-5, Yamaha P90, Korg SP-200, Casio CDP-100
Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: TonyDIGITAL] #2666373
08/05/17 11:45 AM
08/05/17 11:45 AM
中国
N
newer player Offline
500 Post Club Member
newer player  Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
中国
Originally Posted by TonyDIGITAL
What are your favorite settings?

Garritan wouldn't tell me what "default" would look like with "minimal processing". Following are my settings today (I keep tweaking) for Garritan CFX. I am using the "full>classic>default piano" which is my favorite.

-First, someone here noted that the "limit" button on the master volume must be "off" as it does not work properly; that was a great observation! Not sure if that button is on CFX Lite (MAIN tab etc).

- I do like it with the two microphone perspective (m49/km184 & 4006/tlm50) and from time-to-time, reduce the gain on the ambient mic just a very little to vary things.

- I am finding the dials around 12 O'Clock for the timbre (PIANO tab) and for all the dials in the piano tab (there are 6 in CFX full).

- I don't use any reverb or EQ (STUDIO tab). I have the stereo image at "performer". Timbre at 12 O'Clock. Amb Pre-Delay & Saturation off.

- On CFX, it seems most people run velocity curve (ADVANCED tab) at the default, although a few have minor tweaks based on their keyboard or adjust based on material played (there is a thread dedicated here on velocity curves for Garritan CFX). Dynamic range at 50%. I have the Max engine RAM allocation & Disk pre-caching at max settings (16GB & 256kb, respectively). You can activate pedaling options in this tab and there are some custom pedaling tweaks posted by CyberGene:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2602752.html

- I have the interface running at 44.1k with a buffer of 64 with the RME ASIO drivers; that provides very low true "round-trip" latency of around 5-6 seconds from key contact to sound reproduction (I measured that with an external mic) and makes playing very realistic. It took me a bit of effort to get that level of latency and there is a thread here. . .

- Finally, I use a pair of fantastic Sony open-backed, large headphones which I think were only sold in Japan. I am still struggling to get loudspeakers and a sub to sound as good with any Virtual Piano. . .

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: newer player] #2666822
08/07/17 02:29 PM
08/07/17 02:29 PM
中国
N
newer player Offline
500 Post Club Member
newer player  Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
中国
Philip Johnston was kind enough to post the settings he typically uses for his live recordings on Garritan CFX. I think he uses the "solo piano 1" with a few tweaks (kill the limit button on the master volume, adjust master volume, change dynamic range, CyberGene pedal tweak. . . )

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...demo-real-enough-series.html#Post2599256

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2602752.html

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] [/quote]

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2666860
08/07/17 07:23 PM
08/07/17 07:23 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Very interesting! He turns off partial pedaling, and runs 96khz sampling with 1024 buffer size? I find that anything over 128 buffer lags noticeably on my MBP.

His resonance settings are quite low too, maybe he is going for a drier, crisper sound?

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50 || Kawai NV-10, MP11
Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Gombessa] #2666876
08/07/17 08:39 PM
08/07/17 08:39 PM
中国
N
newer player Offline
500 Post Club Member
newer player  Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
中国
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Very interesting! He turns off partial pedaling, and runs 96khz sampling with 1024 buffer size? I find that anything over 128 buffer lags noticeably on my MBP.

His resonance settings are quite low too, maybe he is going for a drier, crisper sound?

Good catch. I got this working at 44.1kHz sampling with a 64 buffer and it is very playable. Frankly, I'm not sure if I can always differentiate 64 to 128. For me the differences become more obvious at 256 and more irritating at 512 and higher.

Philip's "studio" setting knobs seem to be close to default for the "Solo Piano 1," except he seems to have just a bit more "room/release decay".

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: newer player] #2666888
08/07/17 10:30 PM
08/07/17 10:30 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
I can get 44khz/64 buffer working on a vanilla MBP and nothing else running. 128 is more reliable if I have other threads in the background. I can kind of tell the difference but honestly it is not too much to me. I feel more of a lag difference between 128 and the hardware tone generator in the MP11 (which is really just purely instant). 256 is definitely noticeably laggy (I hear the thump of the key hitting the keybed slightly before the note rings out).

Re-reading the thread, it seems Phillip doesn't actually play the audio through CFX, so the buffer size doesn't really matter for his use. He plays to the N3's native sound engine during the performance, while sending the CFX output directly to DAW rather than to monitors/headphones. In that sense it is kind of like saving a midi and rendering offline.

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2741949
06/04/18 05:29 AM
06/04/18 05:29 AM
Sydney, Australia
A
ArtlessArt Offline
ArtlessArt  Offline
A
Sydney, Australia
Sorry to drag this up. I've been researching this little package and it seems like it packs a punch and well worth it's price. It is still currently $59.95 @ Sweetwater, so I'm really really tempted since I don't yet have any Yamaha samples. Wife has agreed for me to buy, so just a couple of Q's before pulling the trigger:

How does this compare to Pianoteq. Knowing modelling vs sampling and personal preference is subjective, I'm interested in how it compares according to your experience.

Are you happy with the purchase? Do you use it every day? Is it well worth it's price?

Once again, thanks heaps!

Kawai CA78 | Kawai ES110 | Kawai Upright | Alexander Herrmann Upright (Sold) | Korg SP170 (Sold) | JBL LSR305 // Pianoteq Stage // CFX Lite
Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2741951
06/04/18 05:39 AM
06/04/18 05:39 AM
Sydney, Australia
A
ArtlessArt Offline
ArtlessArt  Offline
A
Sydney, Australia
I forgot to mention, my laptop is:

Core i72630QM, 2.0Ghz (4 cores I think)
8GB Ram
SSD (240GB. About 100GB unused)

Would it be suitable for the package?

[Edit:] Never mind, I just found the system requirements. Seems my current laptop should be enough.

Last edited by ArtlessArt; 06/04/18 05:40 AM. Reason: Added "[Edit:]"

Kawai CA78 | Kawai ES110 | Kawai Upright | Alexander Herrmann Upright (Sold) | Korg SP170 (Sold) | JBL LSR305 // Pianoteq Stage // CFX Lite
Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2742042
06/04/18 12:20 PM
06/04/18 12:20 PM
Europe
M
mcoll Offline
500 Post Club Member
mcoll  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Europe
Don't be sorry, it's a worthy subject smile
The laptop will work perfectly for both the CFX as well as Pianoteq.

My impressions: it's a very well sampled piano, very even and it plays great. The sound is beautiful, the pedal responds quite well (with an edit detailed by CyberGene in a thread here), and it's the best sampled VST I've played, compared to a large number of the offerings on the market (from the more appreciated offerings, I haven't compared to Ivory, Ravenscroft, VSL pianos, Production voices). Other people that compared to even more instruments have found it to be among the best or the best. And when you also consider the price, it's probably the best VST one could get right now (depending on what they're after). It's hard to find a better sampled VST than the CFX (lite).
I've used it for half a year (between last summer and the winter holidays) and I've been very please with it.

This being said, there's still that extra last step for it to feel like I'm playing an actual piano. It's almost perfect, but not quite. The sound and resonances are beautiful though (the sustain samples go a long way in this regard).
So during the winter holidays I finally bought Pianoteq (standard, + Grotrian and Bluethner). I might've just as well bought the stage + Grotrian, since all I use now is the Grotrian Player preset (albeit with sympathetic resonance raised to 2, which I couldn't do in the stage version, but I could live without it without knowing any better). And after playing in the Player perspective, if I want to save the recording I switch to the Recording 3 preset to render what I just played.
Since this winter, I only opened the CFX twice, for comparison purposes.
The Bluethner is great and this is what I expected to use, but it sounds better on my headphones which are on the bright side than on the monitors. Also, it requires some editing. But this is what I used in demo mode before the Grotrian came out and I still didn't like the Grotrian as much when I bought them. I didn't expect to use it almost exclusively. But on the monitors, the Grotrian just sounds and feels right.

Pluses of Pianoteq (Grotrian Player preset) over the CFX:
- perfect playability, each key feels right and does exactly what I tell it to do, the pedaling is impeccable, and it has a slight upper hand over the CFX (good as it is);
- the sound scape, the placement of the sound extending in front of me as coming from an acoustic is simply perfect, I feel the depth of the sound, if I wouldn't know any better I'd believe it's emanating from an acoustic extending in front of me;
- quick load times and always recording everything, small footprint (these aren't essential to the experience and there are ways of accomplishing the recording with any VST, but I do enjoy these aspects)
- it will very likely continue to get update and will only get better + there's extra instruments to be had for 50e each (and on rare occasions with a 30% discount).

Downside of Pianoteq:
- the authenticity of the sound is still ever so slightly lacking, but it's at the point where I don't notice it and it leaves nothing to be wanted for me when playing (for myself, or for guests);

Pluses of CFX Lite over Pianoteq:
- the tone is simply authentic, it is a good recording of an acoustic instrument and it sounds beautiful (pedal down samples sound great);
- significantly cheaper;

Downsides of CFX:
- the playability is still not perfect;
- the feeling of the sound I get between playing pianissimo vs fortissimo is somewhat off (even after adjusting dynamic range);
- the way I hear the sound when playing it live doesn't give me the same immersive feeling as Pianoteq does (i.e. it's not like there's an acoustic extending in front of me);
- there's this annoying effect when playing piano and pianissimo notes where you hear a hiss for each key/chord you press (it's more obvious on bright headphones and almost unnoticeable on darker headphones as the HD650);
- what you pay is what you get, there will likely be no future improvements.

Now, to try to sum it up (rather hard):
- if I were looking for a sampled instrument, or something specifically for recording and not so much for live playing, maybe the CFX would be the better choice (although for recording I still like Pianoteq better);
- if I were on a very tight budget, you can't beat the CFX;
- if I was looking for the best playability, and an instrument to play daily, that's Pianoteq (Grotrian) for me - it simply feels right and real when playing it live;
- if I were on a budget, the Pianoteq stage + Grotrian would probably be all I ever need;
- as things stand, I'm glad I bought the standard version and the Bluethner as well, for diversity and adjustability (although I rarely use these);
- at this point, I'm ever so slightly sorry I got the CFX, because it's unlikely I'll use it in the future, but I would've gotten it at one point probably, to see why it's the holy grail for some;
- after going through all of the above, I believe that Pteq stage + Grotrian are probably all I would've wanted for the best possible experience of playing DPs;
- lastly the impressions may be influenced by the sound system used (with bright systems, the hiss in the CFX is more apparent, with systems with poor soundstage the sensation of realism in Pteq's sound placement wouldn't probably be so vivid) and each person will have their own feelings towards each of the two above;
- Pteq Grotrian player is currently my gold standard for a daily playing experience that's as authentic as possible.

And last but not least - at this price it's probably worth getting it, no matter if you'll use it for a long time or not, because it's pretty much as good as it gets for sampled instruments (maybe without going to libraries that cost 5-10 times as much, and even then it holds its own for playing and only loses in recording and miking options).

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2742060
06/04/18 01:15 PM
06/04/18 01:15 PM
中国
N
newer player Offline
500 Post Club Member
newer player  Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
中国
I strongly prefer the Garritan CFX Full to the Lite; I think the extra mic perspective makes a big difference by combining intimacy & nice ambience whilst burying some minor flaws. The lite gives users an "inexpensive" demo but frankly, it risks turning off potential buyers.

I have spent some time messing about with other mic perspectives & tweaks and essentially use only the Full-default settings. Might reduce the ambient mics ever so slightly depending on speakers/headphones/IEMs I choose but these days don't bother.

The Garritan CFX samples are smooth and pleasant; I think the pedaling with CyberGene fix is good.

The room "ambience" bothers me just a bit when playing quietly or when not playing (things go to "full silent" which is a bit jarring as the Abbey Roads samples are rather wet);. maybe that is just the noise floor which several people here have discussed & karvala has provided clear graphs of.

These days I cycle around VIs and use Garritan CFX less frequently. PianoTeq has a great free demo so that gives you an idea what it is about; it plays great but sometimes the sound is a bit artificial. I look forward to the upcoming Production Voices Steinway Full. . .

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2742084
06/04/18 02:35 PM
06/04/18 02:35 PM
France
Frédéric L Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Frédéric L  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
France
@mcoll: you said « there's this annoying effect when playing piano and pianissimo notes where you hear a hiss for each key/chord you press (it's more obvious on bright headphones and almost unnoticeable on darker headphones as the HD650) »

When I put flat headphones (AKG702) on my piano and the piano to the audio interface, the piano amplifies the hisses. I can hear them with Garritan CFX, some Galaxy pianos, VSL CFX. I do get rid of them with a LowPass filter of Reaper (available freely from ReaScript if you have another DAW). The cutoff frequency is high enough to avoid too much coloration, but it is quite efficient. I suppose classical EQ are too limited with the cutoff frequency.

Without the Reaper lowpass filter, you can use the Garritan CFX EQ : 8kHz (maxi) to avoid coloring too much frequencies, and (your mileage may vary) -10dB on the high frequency band.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 06/04/18 02:36 PM.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: mcoll] #2742204
06/05/18 02:23 AM
06/05/18 02:23 AM
Sydney, Australia
A
ArtlessArt Offline
ArtlessArt  Offline
A
Sydney, Australia
@mcoll: Thank you so much for the well thought out, detailed & informative post. That was just what I was after. Really appreciate it.

I forgot to mention that I already own Pianoteq Stage + Grotian, hence wanting to know how it stacks up. I definitely share your sentiments toward the Grotian, which is my default instrument. I also like the Steinway D, especially the lower end.

I have decided to purchase the CFX Lite and see how we go with it. Will be mainly using it on a set of monitors & internal speakers. Just found the thread for the re-pedaling also, lots to play around with!

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2742252
06/05/18 10:07 AM
06/05/18 10:07 AM
Sydney, Australia
A
ArtlessArt Offline
ArtlessArt  Offline
A
Sydney, Australia
Just downloaded, followed the instructions. But when I clicked the launcher "Garritan CFX Lite" or Garritan CFX Lite x64", nothing happens and it doesn't launch. Has this happened to anyone... any ideas?

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2742255
06/05/18 10:40 AM
06/05/18 10:40 AM
中国
N
newer player Offline
500 Post Club Member
newer player  Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
中国
Does this help?

Click on the triangles to expose more information

https://usermanuals.garritan.com/CFXLite/Content/registration_installation_and_activation.htm

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2742257
06/05/18 10:54 AM
06/05/18 10:54 AM
Sydney, Australia
A
ArtlessArt Offline
ArtlessArt  Offline
A
Sydney, Australia
Yes, I have done all that.

I'm up to:

Activation

6. Open the standalone player.

This is where it fails. I double click on it and nothing happens, it doesn't even launch.

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2742266
06/05/18 11:45 AM
06/05/18 11:45 AM
Europe
M
mcoll Offline
500 Post Club Member
mcoll  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Europe
@Frederic L: thank you for the suggestion! When I will use it again I will try your EQ settings. I believe they will help quite a bit!

Don't mention it, ArtlessArt! I really believe it's completely worth the money. I don't remember how the installation went since it's been almost a year ago, sorry for not being able to help.
Do let us know how you like it once you get it sorted out! smile

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2742267
06/05/18 11:47 AM
06/05/18 11:47 AM
Chicago, IL USA
E
EPW Offline
EPW  Offline
E
Chicago, IL USA
Worth a shot to run as administrator. Right click the icon and run as administrator.

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: EPW] #2742273
06/05/18 12:09 PM
06/05/18 12:09 PM
Sydney, Australia
A
ArtlessArt Offline
ArtlessArt  Offline
A
Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by EPW
Worth a shot to run as administrator. Right click the icon and run as administrator.

Yeah I gave that a go already with both the 32bit and 64bit .exe launchers...

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2742280
06/05/18 12:40 PM
06/05/18 12:40 PM
Portland OR
J
Jeff Hurchalla Online content
Jeff Hurchalla  Online Content
J
Portland OR
I'd contact Makemusic customer support - they're pretty on top of things. https://www.garritan.com/support/ For what it's worth, I'm not familiar with this problem myself. Good luck and once things are sorted out, hope you like the piano!

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2742295
06/05/18 01:58 PM
06/05/18 01:58 PM
Sydney, Australia
A
ArtlessArt Offline
ArtlessArt  Offline
A
Sydney, Australia
Yeah, I contacted Garritan Support (opened a ticket) and Sweetwater (where I purchased the product) some hours ago, haven't heard back yet.

After several hours of troubleshooting and fiddling around with possible hardware permutations, I finally found a way to launch it > have to disconnect my audio interface in order to launch the .exe, then reconnect it. Somehow the audio interface (or it's drivers) is interfering with the launch of CFX... weird!

Now I'm having another problem. It can't detect the midi input or the audio interface. So I'm getting no sound and no input (I've already loaded the 'default' preset). This is kind of strange behavior. Since with Pianoteq, I can just go to preferences and set everything up and we're good to go.

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2742301
06/05/18 02:09 PM
06/05/18 02:09 PM
中国
N
newer player Offline
500 Post Club Member
newer player  Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
中国
1. This might help you set up MIDI

https://usermanuals.garritan.com/CFXLite/Content/standalone.htm#set_up_midi_and_audio

Click on the triangle entitled "To set up MIDI and audio in the standalone player on Windows"

Make sure to select a box in the TOOLS>PREFERENCES> "Input MIDI devices". Also, fill in the 5 boxes below.

2. Another idea. If you are playing music out of your interface, you might need to go to your operating system Windows>Sound>Playback> right click and disable any output device you are not using. For example, when using my interface to drive monitors, I disable the default "speakers/headphones"

Feel free to summarise exactly what system and chain of music is. And include snapshot of the preferences screen

Last edited by newer player; 06/05/18 02:10 PM.
Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: ArtlessArt] #2742320
06/05/18 02:51 PM
06/05/18 02:51 PM
Portland OR
J
Jeff Hurchalla Online content
Jeff Hurchalla  Online Content
J
Portland OR
My guess is that for whatever reason, the stand-alone application is having problems with your audio interface driver - that would explain the app not starting when your audio interface is connected. The part about it not detecting your audio interface is more clear to me: I'm guessing the application detects all available audio/midi interfaces upon startup, and so if you connect the interface *after* starting the application, the application probably has no idea it's now available. This is a guess too, though to me it feels fairly likely.
My suggestion:
1) Try using the CFX VSTi in a DAW, or really just any VSTi host. Reaper is free to evaluate, though figuring out how to use it will likely be a bit of hassle at first. A free DAW is now Cakewalk Sonar (I haven't tried this) at https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk - it might be easier to figure out than Reaper, or not. You can load the CFX VSTi from Reaper or Cakewalk or whatever DAW/host. This would remove any problems with the stand-alone application launching or detecting interfaces. That job would be handled by the DAW instead.
2) If you really are interested in getting the stand-alone application going, disconnect your audio interface for a while today. Download ASIO4ALL and with all apps closed, install it. Then start the stand-alone (with your audio interface still disconnected), and choose ASIO4ALL under the asio driver choices in Tools | Preferences. You'll have to load a preset for the piano to make any sounds, but from that point on you should be able to click on the virtual keyboard you see in the app, and hear sounds. If your only MIDI connection is through your audio interface (and it's disconnected), this isn't really a workable solution though, even if you're ok with the idea of using ASIO4ALL. But the keyboard click test to see if you get sound with asio4all would help you narrow down what the problem is. Pragmatically, using a DAW/host may be a whole lot easier, since you'd have a chance at bypassing whatever issues the stand-alone (maybe?) is having with your interface driver.

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2742341
06/05/18 04:26 PM
06/05/18 04:26 PM
Europe
M
mcoll Offline
500 Post Club Member
mcoll  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Europe
I believe Jeff pretty much nailed it. His suggestion might do the trick.
Try it in reaper, since in that case reaper will deal with the interface drivers.
And the CFX only allows selecting midi devices that are already connected when opening the program. This was rather annoying, because if I forgot to turn on the piano before I opened the app (or if I didn't allow enough time for it to be detected by the computer) I had to close the CFX and re-open it, and this took some time. I have no such problem with PT, which allows me to turn on the piano afterwards.

Another thing I noticed is that there are a couple of extra seconds before the CFX opens after I got my new interface (Steinberg UR22 mkII). With the old interface there was no such delay. I think there is a small delay in PT as well, but I don't remember for certain. If there is it's smaller than the CFX. I'm only talking about the window of the program opening, not the loading of the samples. I'm pretty sure this is related to the drivers, since there is no other explanation.

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: mcoll] #2742354
06/05/18 05:28 PM
06/05/18 05:28 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by mcoll
I
And the CFX only allows selecting midi devices that are already connected when opening the program. This was rather annoying, because if I forgot to turn on the piano before I opened the app (or if I didn't allow enough time for it to be detected by the computer) I had to close the CFX and re-open it, and this took some time. I have no such problem with PT, which allows me to turn on the piano afterwards.

Hmm, on my CFX (Mac), the MIDI list refreshes if you just close and open the Preference pane again, without having to restart the whole app (which would be annoying indeed).

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2742359
06/05/18 05:45 PM
06/05/18 05:45 PM
Canada
pianosx Offline
pianosx  Offline
Canada

I'm new to Virtual Piano's, and would like to thank everyone for their recommendation and input on this CFX Lite.

Just to sweeten the deal, SweetWater is currently having a 10% e-gift card promo (get 10% more on your giftcard) until June 18th.

So you can buy a $55 USD gift card, get %60.50 USD on the card, and purchase the Garritan CFX Lite VST for $59.95 USD.

I just did it, and got the confirmation email.

Now waiting on the download link/code/email.

All work and no piano make Homer something something.
--
Kawai ES8 | CASIO PX-160 | Yamaha NP-30 and NP-11
--
Previous:
some old Technics DP | an old CASIO CTK
Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2742427
06/06/18 03:00 AM
06/06/18 03:00 AM
Sydney, Australia
A
ArtlessArt Offline
ArtlessArt  Offline
A
Sydney, Australia
Thank you all for your suggestions and help with troubleshooting.

After more fiddling I got it all to work, both the midi and audio interface which my monitors are connected to. The only minor hiccup now is if I want to play it, I have to; pull out the audio interface usb from laptop, start the standalone, replug it in, go to preferences and set it up every time.

As was mentioned by Jeff, it is definitely the audio interface driver clashing with the CFX Lite standalone program and/or the ASIO4All drivers. So I'm wondering if I uninstall the audio interface drivers (Behringer UCA-222), would I be able to use ASIO4All by itself with the audio interface?

I don't want to risk uninstalling it and mess everything up, since it took me a while to get it all (partially) working.

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2742709
06/07/18 12:04 AM
06/07/18 12:04 AM
Canada
pianosx Offline
pianosx  Offline
Canada
Got my code while at work today, installed on my work computer, and luckily had a spare USB-B cable to hook up my CASIO PX-160 to it and try out during my lunch break.

Couldn't get it to play for a bit, even though it showed as connected.

Was getting a "sample rate not supported" message or something when booting up the standalone, but eventually got it working (don't know what I did exactly, just random stuff troubleshooting).

I don't know if it's just me, but the volume was lower than expected, even with PC volume maxed and the volume was maxed in the standalone editor.

Again, I'm still new to this, so I'm sure I'm missing something.

Piano sound seems pretty good, although right now I still prefer the SK-EX and SK-5 sound samples in my ES8.

All work and no piano make Homer something something.
--
Kawai ES8 | CASIO PX-160 | Yamaha NP-30 and NP-11
--
Previous:
some old Technics DP | an old CASIO CTK
Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2742718
06/07/18 12:42 AM
06/07/18 12:42 AM
G
Gombessa Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
CFX is on the quiet side. I turn off the Limit and crank it up as needed. EQ if necessary.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Piano World 

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Skips Vs.Steps desperation
by Melodies. 06/25/18 12:52 AM
Which tool to polish pedals?
by mivaldes. 06/24/18 10:42 PM
Touchrail system?
by Radio.Octave. 06/24/18 09:47 PM
Can words be used to describe music?
by pianoloverus. 06/24/18 04:21 PM
electronic tuners
by oth47. 06/24/18 02:44 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,120
Posts2,727,179
Members90,446
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission