Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
120 registered members (bagovarna, anotherscott, 90125, ando, accordeur, 7uturu, AZNpiano, 27 invisible), 1,355 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2641718
05/09/17 11:38 AM
05/09/17 11:38 AM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

UK
Why bother with a compact when you can enjoy all the layers even in lite and you got to install all the layers anyway ( as I understand it, I don't own it, but as said it has all the velocity layers but just for one mic perspective).

I agree, as Slobajudge put it in another tread, give the piano all its love in full smile For mixes where piano is not that important it may have its merits and saving some resources to cut down layers, but for solo piano as long as you can run it okay, why bother cutting down to fewer velocity layers, you'd be missing out.

Ivory American has something similar where you can load keysets with as little as 4 layers, 8 layers etc up to 20, with or without soft samples.

For fun I tried it for the first time the other day to see how obvious it would be, it is indeed obvious when playing when you go down to 4 layers with ACD. The piano still sounds nice, however I noticed immediately when changing dynamics the colour/timbre does not follow in the same circumstances playing the same passages with the full 20 layers, it then sounds the same much more often across the dynamic range. It still feels smooth enough to play I thought, but the tonal variation is just reduced quite noticeably.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: TheodorN] #2641857
05/09/17 07:58 PM
05/09/17 07:58 PM
UK
lolatu Offline
1000 Post Club Member
lolatu  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

UK
Originally Posted by TheodorN
In the full CFX, when users are having problems, snap, crackle, and pop city, does it help to switch to the compact presets? Think I saw in one video, that there are compact presets, supposedly to help with performance issues.

Yes the crackles appear even if you use Compact presets. It's not due to the size of the samples; it's just a bug in the Windows 10 version if you don't have lots of RAM to spare. I'll post findings in more detail later, but in brief it's what I said before: whatever Kontakt is doing to protect its memory, Aria needs to do it too. You can work around it by restarting the whole thing, and I think it shouldn't be a problem if you keep the application active and don't use any others while you still have Aria open.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2642070
05/10/17 11:04 AM
05/10/17 11:04 AM
B
bsntn99 Offline
bsntn99  Offline
B

Well, CFX Lite is going the shelf. Just picked up the Waves Grand Rhapsody which was just released for $19 after taking their online survey which gives you a $10 coupon. This is how the CFX should have been recorded by Garritan with no extraneous hammer noise. The downside is it takes longer than CFX Lite to load with a 14 GB library. 8 different mic setups included, 3 allowed at one time, plus a better equalizer, no hokey presets. Doesn't seem to have half pedaling though, but I can live without this considering how good this sounds. Check it out if interested. Glad I didn't waste money on the full CFX version.

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2642078
05/10/17 11:27 AM
05/10/17 11:27 AM
Sweden
TheodorN Offline
2000 Post Club Member
TheodorN  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sweden
Is this a sampling of the same piano as the Wavesfactory Mercury?

My YouTube channel

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX. Prod. Voices: Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand Compact, Est. Grand, Studio Grand LE. NI Giant. Galaxy II Blüthner Baby Grand. AcousticSamples C7. AK Studio Grand. Sampletekk Black. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater 1000s of deals on Gear
Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2642082
05/10/17 11:33 AM
05/10/17 11:33 AM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

I think there was a thread on this a couple of months back. It's the same piano, sampled nearly at the same time by two different companies with unfortunately similar names. People were assuming there was a name change or acquisition and the two products are the same thing, but apparently that isn't the case.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50 || Kawai NV-10, MP11
Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: bsntn99] #2642721
05/12/17 02:07 PM
05/12/17 02:07 PM
Sweden
TheodorN Offline
2000 Post Club Member
TheodorN  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sweden
Originally Posted by bsntn99
Just picked up the Waves Grand Rhapsody which was just released for $19 after taking their online survey which gives you a $10 coupon....Glad I didn't waste money on the full CFX version.

Did too. I had a €10 coupon from when I got the Galaxy German Baby Grand, and for meager €19, there was little doubt.

First impressions

Bright and cutting, presets pretty good, but the dynamic range was diminished quite a lot in some of them. That may be fixed by playing with the settings, it seems possible to morph the sound of this instrument to suit many genres of music, thought I'll probably prefer it's basic character, a bright piano, and use my other libraries for a muddy or warm sound.

I wouldn't say I'd been wasting my money by getting the Garritan CFX, but if I want a Yamaha Grand, I think I prefer the AcousticSamples C7, even more than any of the Sampletekks. Just hoping there'll be a sale on it, this summer. cool

My YouTube channel

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX. Prod. Voices: Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand Compact, Est. Grand, Studio Grand LE. NI Giant. Galaxy II Blüthner Baby Grand. AcousticSamples C7. AK Studio Grand. Sampletekk Black. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: newer player] #2643406
05/14/17 05:11 PM
05/14/17 05:11 PM
UK
lolatu Offline
1000 Post Club Member
lolatu  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

UK
Originally Posted by newer player
* Not sure this daily restart comment is fair. I run some complex statictical and math programs, the full MS Office suite, and plenty of small trivial programs. Most clearly run better with a restart every morning. Windoze 10 also runs better with a daily restart.

EDIT - BTW I don't dare run any work computer without restarting every morning.

My experience is different. I only ever restart Windows when I'm forced to by an update, about once a month. I don't notice any slow-downs, or speed-ups after restarting. Windows 10 is pretty good, excellent in fact when it comes to memory management. I have no trouble doing anything I want with just 4 GB of RAM and an SSD. I've deliberately tried overloading it by opening all the most memory-intensive applications I have (Sony Movie Studio, Cubase, Kontakt, Firefox etc), and all that happens is that the Memory Compression process works quietly in the background, and presumably pages it off to the SSD. When I switch back to those apps, 500 MB is read back off the disk in a second (less if you have an newer m.2 or PCIe one), and it's seemless; I don't even notice it. The ONLY app that stuffs up for me is Garritan Aria.

* Agreed Garritan CFX does not always work well after the computer wakes from sleep.

On this subject, I've made a video to show the issue. This happens every time:

I don't believe the fault can be pinned on Windows. I don't have problems with any other Windows applications when waking from sleep. It just proves that there's something very wrong with Garritan's Aria software!

I did some experiments about a week ago using Task Manager and the Resource Monitor.

a) I had the Engine Max RAM Allocation in CFX Lite set to 256 MB. Total reported being used by Aria was 485 MB. However when I shut the app down, total memory use drops from 2631 MB to 1543 MB, a drop of 1088 MB. Why? I don't know. Suggests a memory leak. I tried it with Vintage D, which takes 430 MB, and on closing, the total memory use drops by exactly 430 MB, no more.

b) Opening lots of other apps after loading CFX Lite, private memory use for Aria drops from 485 MB to 34 MB, showing its memory has been compressed. Then I try playing it and it's all crackles. Vintage D seemed to stay at 430 MB for a long time, eventually going down to 367 MB, but continued to play properly.

So it seems like there are two problems: a) A memory leak (maybe why Garritan say that more RAM is always better, and suggest regular restarts). You can stave off this by having more RAM, but it will get you eventually. And b) It doesn't prevent its memory being compressed, and doesn't uncompress it, which causes glitches. This might be related to why sleep causes the player to become unusable as shown in the video.

If anyone from Garritan is reading, perhaps you could fix this urgently?

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2643450
05/14/17 08:30 PM
05/14/17 08:30 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Hey folks,

I pulled the trigger on CFX full after reading this thread. Prior to installation, one thing wasn't really clear to me and I was hoping someone knew:

Can I install CFX Grand on multiple computers? I assume once I create that pass card .png file, I can use that on multiple installations? I have a laptop from work and a home system I'd like to use it on, and need to know ahead of time if I'm only going to be stuck with one working copy at a time (or permanently).

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2643454
05/14/17 08:45 PM
05/14/17 08:45 PM
Zilthy Offline
Zilthy  Offline

I looked at that Gombessa, the license specifies 2 computers, cannot use both at same time. But I did check, because if I get it, I would want it on my iMac and on my MacBook Pro

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Zilthy] #2643486
05/14/17 08:59 PM
05/14/17 08:59 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Originally Posted by Zilthy
I looked at that Gombessa, the license specifies 2 computers, cannot use both at same time. But I did check, because if I get it, I would want it on my iMac and on my MacBook Pro

Thanks Zilthy. I think I'm fine with that, so long as I can transfer the copies between multiple (>2 if needed) computers with proper registration/de-registration (e.g., I'm upgrading my work laptop later this month, and if I'm going to be hassled about multiple installations, I'd rather not install it at all on the current one and wait until I get the new machine).

Their support page does talk about being able to use it on a system without internet access, as long as you get the key card file, so I suspect you can run it on as many systems as you want if they're offline. It'd be nice to know if there's some kind of online system registration or session check for connected computers, since I'm not going to the trouble of disabling/enabling internet every time I use it.

In other words, I'm hoping the license restrictions are just contractual terms, rather than a description of actual technical controls.

Last edited by Gombessa; 05/14/17 09:00 PM.

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: lolatu] #2643514
05/14/17 09:39 PM
05/14/17 09:39 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted by lolatu
If anyone from Garritan is reading, perhaps you could fix this urgently?

While it's certainly possible that they may be reading PW and other forums, might I suggest that you consider contacting the developers directly.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2643684
05/15/17 09:45 AM
05/15/17 09:45 AM
The Netherlands
P
pianistje Offline
pianistje  Offline
P

The Netherlands
Wow lot's of troubleshooting with the Garritan CFX.
I have the full version running as smooth as anything and with all buffers and samples set to maximalise the sound.
I have an I7 computer 16GB and RME internal soundcard.
I went to a custom computer shop and told them my new computer would have to run the CFX without any latency, cracks ,pops or whatever,,,,,
From day one (two years ago) it works flawlessly each and every time.

It is surprsingly ackward to read about so many problems,....i feel sorry for those who tried to make the CFX work.

I have purchased the Waves Grand Rhapsody this weekend and i like it very much.
The Garritan is of course different sounding , but the pedal samples, superb playability and more make it the best piano vst out there for me personally....althaugh the waves is a nice addition too.
It is extremely satisfactory to play the CFX, because it's that good.
I can't say the same about the Hammersmith pro, doesn't get used much, all because the Garritan is such an outstanding vst.

And the full CFX version allows for the personal creation of a wide variation of user presets.

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Gombessa] #2643689
05/15/17 10:10 AM
05/15/17 10:10 AM
S
similar Offline
similar  Offline
S

Originally Posted by Gombessa
Can I install CFX Grand on multiple computers? I assume once I create that pass card .png file, I can use that on multiple installations? I have a laptop from work and a home system I'd like to use it on, and need to know ahead of time if I'm only going to be stuck with one working copy at a time (or permanently).
I recently sent a related inquiry to the makemusic help request. I was interested in re-installing the software on one computer multiple times on different drives and even after fresh OS installs, all with one install operating at a time. The reply was that this should be no problem, all counting as one "usage" of the two that are allowed via the usage license, and that the png file used to authorize the software could even be downloaded again without using up another "usage". I'm unaware of any mechanism of enforcement of the usage limit. Hope that helps.

Beethoven, Bach -> Kawai CA-97 -> Garritan CFX Full -> Neumann Klein and Hummel 310s
Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2643692
05/15/17 10:29 AM
05/15/17 10:29 AM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Thanks very much similar, this pretty much answers my question!

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2643762
05/15/17 02:24 PM
05/15/17 02:24 PM
Zilthy Offline
Zilthy  Offline

I finally pulled the trigger on the full version. Unfortunately, I also pulled the trigger on a Yamaha S90XS also. shocked

Well, I should be in DAW Piano and Synth heaven for awhile!

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Zilthy] #2643780
05/15/17 03:12 PM
05/15/17 03:12 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Originally Posted by Zilthy
I finally pulled the trigger on the full version. Unfortunately, I also pulled the trigger on a Yamaha S90XS also. shocked

Well, I should be in DAW Piano and Synth heaven for awhile!

Nice! So, I went to see Hamilton this weekend, and guess what I saw in the orchestra pit?
[Linked Image]

That looks like one beefy machine, watch yourself with it!

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2643824
05/15/17 05:03 PM
05/15/17 05:03 PM
B
bsntn99 Offline
bsntn99  Offline
B

I can't believe people love this piano so much they willing to fork over for the full version. You only get an even brighter mic position with worse hammer noises and a player position, including some ambience samples, all of which just would make the sound worse and muddy. Add a good convolution reverb if you want to add ambience. The piano itself sounds flat, some of which can be fixed with a good eq, and has variable hammer noises on the samples. The only way I could live with this is to resample and fix the samples myself. I doubt Garritan gives a damn about the quality enough to fix it since they are raking in the cash on this. The Grand Piano 1 in Sampletank 3 sounds better than this one, not to mention the Grandeur and others. I only got the lite version to try out because of the way people gushed over it and am sorry I wasted my money. I will know better next time then to trust opinions on this site. For reference, I have played a variety of both Yamaha and Kawai pianos and have a CA-95 which sounds superb.

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2643831
05/15/17 05:16 PM
05/15/17 05:16 PM
Sweden
TheodorN Offline
2000 Post Club Member
TheodorN  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Sweden
The CFX sounds a bit flat and liveless, I feel the AcousticSamples C7 Grand has more body, judging from online demos. Some say they can't be trusted, but when I compare demos from the VSTs I do have, what I hear when playing them, sounds a lot like the online demos. Of course they don't say anything about the playability, except maybe the dynamic range.

My YouTube channel

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: Fscotte] #2643892
05/15/17 08:46 PM
05/15/17 08:46 PM
B
bsntn99 Offline
bsntn99  Offline
B

I'll have to spend some time looking into the AcousticSamples C7. Given the excellent job they did on the B5, this may be a better choice for a Yamaha library. They have at least some different closer mic'd positions that might be more usable, although I don't like mixing since it tends to introduce time alignment issues. Saw one vst that actually had an adjustable delay for each mic position which I thought was cool way to get around this problem. If recording, I can just separate the mic positions to different tracks and adjust the delay per track. I'll play around with resampling the CFX. Maybe I can get acceptable results. Would be nice if the CFX had a sample start adjustment or envelope control built in like I've seen on a few other vsts.

Re: Garritan CFX Lite $59.95 [Re: bsntn99] #2643956
05/16/17 02:38 AM
05/16/17 02:38 AM
The Netherlands
P
pianistje Offline
pianistje  Offline
P

The Netherlands
Originally Posted by bsntn99
I can't believe people love this piano so much they willing to fork over for the full version. You only get an even brighter mic position with worse hammer noises and a player position, including some ambience samples, all of which just would make the sound worse and muddy. Add a good convolution reverb if you want to add ambience. The piano itself sounds flat, some of which can be fixed with a good eq, and has variable hammer noises on the samples. The only way I could live with this is to resample and fix the samples myself. I doubt Garritan gives a damn about the quality enough to fix it since they are raking in the cash on this. The Grand Piano 1 in Sampletank 3 sounds better than this one, not to mention the Grandeur and others. I only got the lite version to try out because of the way people gushed over it and am sorry I wasted my money. I will know better next time then to trust opinions on this site. For reference, I have played a variety of both Yamaha and Kawai pianos and have a CA-95 which sounds superb.

Wow, i couldn't disagree more....
Do you personally have the full version of the CFX ? Because you must bo doing something wrong....terribly wrong in my opinion.
The Garritan is next to Pianoteq the most playable vst out there with minimal quirks , no weak registers (contrary to many top vst's like the Hammersmith) and superb sustain and softpedal implementation based on multiple samples instead of some lame overhyped physical modelling attempt. The 122 GB of memory is providing all you need.
Almost everyone who owns the full version praises the fact how extremely playable this Garritan is....

Sound is of course very personal and what person A consideres as warm, is ''out of tune'' for person B.
I personally love all wooden Kawai keybeds from the MP9000 till today.
I am heavily involved in the (digital) piano industry for 27 years and the CA-95 is an average sounding piano by todays standards.
To even remotely compare it to the Garritan CFX is very strange indeed.....no pun intended, but the obvious looped decay, few sample layers, static close samples are sounding extremely fake when you have played on the Garritan CFX for some time.(I do from a Kawai controler)
Really there is no going back to any hardware piano without noticing the various memory and other limitations that are sometimes hidden with some obvious weak physicall modelling attempts.

My friend has the Grandeur and the whole Komplete package .....the CFX is much better in every thinkable way, unless of course you dig a Steinway sound and hate Yamaha.
The grand piano 1 in sampletank 3 ? Sorry but this sounds like trolling,...i don't know why you would claim such a thing.....the only thing i can think of is that you didn't play the Garritan CFX full version from your Kawai CA-95 ever.
That's the only reasonable explaination i can think of......

Last edited by pianistje; 05/16/17 02:43 AM.
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Concerns about buying the MP11SE due to possible MIDI issues
by Scriavel Bachmanin. 01/17/19 05:14 PM
Debussy plays Clair de Lune
by prout. 01/17/19 05:11 PM
Yamaha P-255 to P-515?
by MegaPiano. 01/17/19 03:56 PM
Roland Keyboard with Alexa Voice Control?
by JohnSprung. 01/17/19 03:49 PM
Time for first tuning?
by mackguy. 01/17/19 12:47 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,631
Posts2,782,925
Members92,143
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission