Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
140 registered members (bennevis, AssociateX, anotherscott, Balezin Dmitry, ajames, accordeur, Agent88, 30 invisible), 1,832 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Buying a Yamaha Grand G7 vs C2 #2632966
04/14/17 01:10 PM
04/14/17 01:10 PM
A
AmDG Offline OP
AmDG  Offline OP
A

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here (yay!). I have a problem deciding between two used Yamaha grand pianos:

1) Refurbished 1966 G7
2) 1999 C2 (all original)

Both were approved by my piano technician. The G7 sells for around $7K while the newer C2 is $6K. Space is no problem and I like bigger pianos but isn't the G7 too old? This G7 has new strings, pins, and hammers btw. Maybe the C2 is a better choice (or not?).

Last edited by AmDG; 04/14/17 01:12 PM.

"The wine of Love is music,
And the feast of Love is song:
And when Love sits down to the banquet,
Love sits long."
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Buying a Yamaha Grand G7 vs C2 [Re: AmDG] #2632974
04/14/17 01:43 PM
04/14/17 01:43 PM
H
huaidongxi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
huaidongxi  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H

you didn't give details about the music you play, and what differences you felt/heard when you tried the pianos out. the age of the bigger piano should not discourage you, if it was well maintained and has new strings, pins, hammers. a lot depends on the use each piano has experienced over the years, but in general a piano under 5'10 has to be pretty exceptional to match up with the same manufacturer's 7 ft. semi concert grand.

Re: Buying a Yamaha Grand G7 vs C2 [Re: AmDG] #2632975
04/14/17 01:44 PM
04/14/17 01:44 PM
Atlanta, GA
PianoWorksATL Online content
3000 Post Club Member
PianoWorksATL  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member

Atlanta, GA
That price for so young of a C2 is silly cheap unless it has significant issues. Hard to comment about the refurb G7.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Re: Buying a Yamaha Grand G7 vs C2 [Re: AmDG] #2633010
04/14/17 03:22 PM
04/14/17 03:22 PM
USA
G
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
gnuboi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

USA
Super price on the C2... but I would still lean toward the G7 if the technical inspection passes. Buy both and sell the C2 at profit.

Re: Buying a Yamaha Grand G7 vs C2 [Re: AmDG] #2633063
04/14/17 06:41 PM
04/14/17 06:41 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
I agree the price on the 1999 C2 is a very good price, and the price on the G7 is not bad, if the work done was quality work. As far as the age difference, my philosophy in regards to acoustic pianos, is that newer is better, as a general rule. However, I would not rule out the older G7.

Which one do you like the best?

I came across a 1978 Yamaha C7 offered for sale by a large church, and it was in such good condition, I thought it had been rebuilt. I found out later it was indeed all original, and had not been rebuilt. The C7 is by far my favorite piano. In fact, I just played it a while this afternoon. The low bass and the upper treble are superb, as well as the action, which does have a some wear on it.

I'd play both, and then play them again; since your piano tech has approved both, I'd lean toward the G7, because a larger, semi-concert grand offers some degree of tonal advantage over smaller grands, as a general rule.

Good luck, and keep us informed!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Buying a Yamaha Grand G7 vs C2 [Re: AmDG] #2633093
04/14/17 08:41 PM
04/14/17 08:41 PM
A
AmDG Offline OP
AmDG  Offline OP
A

Wow thank you all for your suggestions!

Huaidongxi: I play Chopin preludes and Mozart sonatas easily. I'm starting to practice Cramer etudes, Beethoven sonatas, and Bach. With that kind of repertoire, would a smaller C2 hold me back?

PianoWorksATL: The C2 owner is planning to buy a Steinway, so he's selling it low to get rid of it. Lucky me.

gnuboi: Good idea! I would like to buy both, but I'd have to sell my Petrof upright and cry.

Rickster: If it were a blind test, I would choose the older G7. I had the same experience as you with that wonderful low bass and nice action. However, my biggest fear is that this is a 1960s Yamaha. I've read online that people should stay away from G-series of this era? I'm confident in its performance, but the age is holding me back. My Steinway techie also said that "any future issues depends on the extend of refurbishment."

I hope that helps. Thanks again everyone!

Last edited by AmDG; 04/14/17 08:43 PM.

Love sits long."
Re: Buying a Yamaha Grand G7 vs C2 [Re: AmDG] #2633104
04/14/17 10:38 PM
04/14/17 10:38 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by AmDG
Wow thank you all for your suggestions!

Huaidongxi: I play Chopin preludes and Mozart sonatas easily. I'm starting to practice Cramer etudes, Beethoven sonatas, and Bach. With that kind of repertoire, would a smaller C2 hold me back?

PianoWorksATL: The C2 owner is planning to buy a Steinway, so he's selling it low to get rid of it. Lucky me.

gnuboi: Good idea! I would like to buy both, but I'd have to sell my Petrof upright and cry.

Rickster: If it were a blind test, I would choose the older G7. I had the same experience as you with that wonderful low bass and nice action. However, my biggest fear is that this is a 1960s Yamaha. I've read online that people should stay away from G-series of this era? I'm confident in its performance, but the age is holding me back. My Steinway techie also said that "any future issues depends on the extend of refurbishment."

I hope that helps. Thanks again everyone!

Well, in my view, and based on my limited experience, the price for either piano is excellent. I wouldn't be afraid of the older G7. From what I've read, about the only difference between the G and C series, is the C series has a heavier plate and a bit more robust. For home use, I think the G7 would be fine.

If the age of the G7 really bothers you, go with the C2. But then you would be haunted by the thought that maybe you should have gone with the G7. smile

Bottom line... it sounds like either would be a good choice.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Buying a Yamaha Grand G7 vs C2 [Re: AmDG] #2633115
04/15/17 12:36 AM
04/15/17 12:36 AM
Georgia, USA
terminaldegree Offline
4000 Post Club Member
terminaldegree  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
They're not really comparable because of the difference in size (5'8" vs 7'4") and age (18 years old vs 51). Particularly with the older piano, the quality of refurbishment and current condition is far more important than the name on the front.

The prices are pretty low for both - most good techs I know would charge more than the asking price just for the work listed on the G7, so I suspect it was done a while ago. Can you be more specific in terms of what your tech had to say about both pianos?

A good C2 wouldn't hold you back from learning anything. A big piano in good shape is intoxicatingly fun, but it does tend to take up most of the room. Other than condition and age, the only other caution I'd have is the G7 would probably not be that easy to sell 5-10 years down the road compared with a newer C2, if that matters to you... as it's 3 evolutions older than the current model. Small grands sell in greater numbers in the US market (you don't note your location).

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Re: Buying a Yamaha Grand G7 vs C2 [Re: AmDG] #2633128
04/15/17 01:52 AM
04/15/17 01:52 AM
H
huaidongxi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
huaidongxi  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
H

AmDg, which piano responded to you better (nuance, touch, expression) ? the smaller piano won't hold you back if its sensitivity and response are comparable in your music. you sound like your emotions might be pulling you to the older one, hence Rickster's "you would be haunted...", but have concerns it might need more care in the near future. did your technician indicate if there were signs that some components would need replacing soon ? did you get a feeling for either piano's personality when you played them -- as you know, your choice will become a daily companion. your Petrof no doubt has developed a personality from your association.

Re: Buying a Yamaha Grand G7 vs C2 [Re: AmDG] #2633155
04/15/17 04:57 AM
04/15/17 04:57 AM
A
AmDG Offline OP
AmDG  Offline OP
A

Hi everyone!

Update: My tech checked up on this 1966 G7's history. He says that this refurbisher is notorious for selling shiny "furniture" pianos. And he also mentioned that the serial number is tampered too! (only on the metal plate). But the piano itself passes my tech's standards.

We both played it in person, a little Rachmaninoff to test its limits hehe. There were some keys in the tenor section that felt "mushy" but overall slightly better than the C2. My tech said it's only a minor problem. It was tuned to 440Hz (he had a tuning device). We noticed that when he took out the action rack, the action is still the original one, with obvious discoloration, although the hammers, strings, and pins are newly replaced. Soundboard is also original (a little dirty), he used a flashlight to check if there were any cracks underneath, none.

G7 owner's reason for selling: It occupies too much space in his living room, which is true. Based on my observation, it's been sitting for quite a while in his house.

The C2 owner is now lowering his price to $5.5K! He's even selling his Rolex to desperately buy his Steinway. Hilarious. He bought his C2 only last year but now regretted it. The C2 passed with flying colors, although below in performance to the G7.

As for me, I just need a good grand piano for daily practice. Cheers.

Last edited by AmDG; 04/15/17 05:01 AM.

Love sits long."
Re: Buying a Yamaha Grand G7 vs C2 [Re: Rickster] #2633158
04/15/17 05:12 AM
04/15/17 05:12 AM
A
AmDG Offline OP
AmDG  Offline OP
A

Thanks for the advice Mr. Rick!

I would be haunted by the maintenance costs even more, pianos sure are expensive to keep in shape. eek

Last edited by AmDG; 04/15/17 05:14 AM.

Love sits long."
Re: Buying a Yamaha Grand G7 vs C2 [Re: AmDG] #2633167
04/15/17 06:12 AM
04/15/17 06:12 AM
SouthWest Michigan
R
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Roger Ransom  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

SouthWest Michigan
I have a Yamaha G7 that was built in 1961 and bought by me in 1966, among the first Yamaha pianos imported here. It's been a wonderful piano over the years. I have never even had a sticky key and nothing has ever broken. This piano gets played a couple hours every day too.

Several years ago I had some work done on it. New strings, new hammers, new keytops etc. The action just needed some bushings and a thorough regulation. I recently scheduled my tuner and he didn't even have to tune the whole piano, just touched up a few unisons.

I never get tired of the deep smooth bass. It has been a great piano for many years. I wouldn't hesitate if you check it out and know it's in good condition.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Buying a Yamaha Grand G7 vs C2 [Re: Roger Ransom] #2633189
04/15/17 07:33 AM
04/15/17 07:33 AM
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Steve Cohen Offline
Steve Cohen  Offline

Maryland/DC/No. VA
Originally Posted by Roger Ransom
I have a Yamaha G7 that was built in 1961 and bought by me in 1966, among the first Yamaha pianos imported here.

Not to burst your bubble, but we were the oldest Yamaha dealership in the US and started selling Yamahas in 1961. The G7 was among the first model imported.

Piano Industry Consultant- http://www.linkedin.com/pub/steve-cohen/6/b92/b80

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
Re: Buying a Yamaha Grand G7 vs C2 [Re: AmDG] #2633218
04/15/17 09:45 AM
04/15/17 09:45 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
Not to burst your bubble, but we were the oldest Yamaha dealership in the US and started selling Yamahas in 1961. The G7 was among the first model imported.

Steve, I'm not sure why you say you didn't want to burst Roger's bubble.... you just verified/confirmed everything he said. I thought bursting someone's bubble was revealing indisputable evidence to the contrary of what they said.

Update: My tech checked up on this 1966 G7's history. He says that this refurbisher is notorious for selling shiny "furniture" pianos. And he also mentioned that the serial number is tampered too! (only on the metal plate). But the piano itself passes my tech's standards.

We both played it in person, a little Rachmaninoff to test its limits hehe. There were some keys in the tenor section that felt "mushy" but overall slightly better than the C2. My tech said it's only a minor problem. It was tuned to 440Hz (he had a tuning device). We noticed that when he took out the action rack, the action is still the original one, with obvious discoloration, although the hammers, strings, and pins are newly replaced. Soundboard is also original (a little dirty), he used a flashlight to check if there were any cracks underneath, none.

If a former dealer/owner deliberately altered the serial number, that is a serious infraction in my book. On the other hand, the serial numbers are usually just some sort of ink/dye/paint stamped on the plate and can easily rub-off/fade in time. There should be a serial # on the action that matches the plate.

So far, it appears that the G7 is the better of the two pianos, in more ways than one (except for the altered serial number). But the final decision is yours... thumb

All the best!

Rick

Re: Buying a Yamaha Grand G7 vs C2 [Re: Steve Cohen] #2633231
04/15/17 11:23 AM
04/15/17 11:23 AM
SouthWest Michigan
R
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Roger Ransom  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

SouthWest Michigan
No bubble here. I don't know who originally imported it (maybe you, I don't know) but the serial number has it built in 1961 and we bought it used in New Jersey in 1966 - could have been 1967 but think it was 1966. It's been an excellent piano all those years.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Buying a Yamaha Grand G7 vs C2 [Re: AmDG] #2633233
04/15/17 11:46 AM
04/15/17 11:46 AM
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Steve Cohen Offline
Steve Cohen  Offline

Maryland/DC/No. VA
Sorry. I misread your post.

Piano Industry Consultant- http://www.linkedin.com/pub/steve-cohen/6/b92/b80

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
Re: Buying a Yamaha Grand G7 vs C2 [Re: AmDG] #2637083
04/27/17 08:58 PM
04/27/17 08:58 PM
A
AmDG Offline OP
AmDG  Offline OP
A

Good news everyone!

I'm getting the Yamaha G7. The seller lowered the price to 6.5K.

There's one issue though: The top octave has a clanky wooden sound though my tech says he can fix it.

Is that normal for an old piano?

Thanks to all of you!

Love sits long."
Re: Buying a Yamaha Grand G7 vs C2 [Re: AmDG] #2637095
04/27/17 09:50 PM
04/27/17 09:50 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Good news everyone!

I'm getting the Yamaha G7. The seller lowered the price to 6.5K.

There's one issue though: The top octave has a clanky wooden sound though my tech says he can fix it.

Is that normal for an old piano?

Thanks to all of you!

Congratulations! You will love the low bass (and the rest of the octaves too:-)

Not sure what you mean by clanky wooden sound, but most any piano, new or old, may have an audible click or thud if you depress the key and release very slowly. My Yamaha C7 does it...

But you can't hear it or notice it with normal playing.

If your tech is confident they can fix it, that's great!

All the best!

Rick

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New old guy here; just starting piano journey at 58!
by PianoWVBob. 11/15/18 03:38 PM
One vs. Two-Hnaded Sight Reading
by BbAltered. 11/15/18 01:08 PM
Casio PX-160 or Yamaha P-125 for Beginner
by jediknight. 11/15/18 11:42 AM
Late 19th - early 20th century Pleyel pianos.
by Wckoek. 11/15/18 08:36 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,343
Posts2,761,397
Members91,493
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission