2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
38 members (chopinetto, crooow, anotherscott, Beowulf, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, Damyan, 13 invisible), 479 guests, and 481 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Started practicing piano... again :)
#2636587 04/26/17 01:39 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Hello all,

I've had digital piano for four years and I have not played in two years since last time I got frustrated about not picking up the skill.

I just started playing piano again and decided to focus on Fur Elise this time. I am practicing 30 minutes a day and I see steady progress which I didn't see last time. My secret? Not giving up and slowing down a lot. I realized that one cannot just pick up the piece and start practicing it full speed. I tried and re-tried with very slow tempo and didn't practice for more than 30 minutes a day. Each day I noticed how much my brain has been working on the finger dexterity while I was sleeping. On each day I noticed how much better my fingers co-operate with me.

I also like the Skipping Rope piece which is found on ABRSM level 1 syllabus, thinking about starting that as well to get some variation.

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
Chopin - Waltz in A minor
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Started practicing piano... again :)
Artur Gajewski #2636635 04/26/17 03:43 PM
E
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
glad to hear you are making a return to piano. One of my bigger "ah ha" moments was letting go of of the desire to learn ever increasingly difficult pieces. I just try to do what I can and those little improvements made each day are enough to keep me going.

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Artur Gajewski #2636643 04/26/17 04:08 PM
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Welcome back!
I have the same experience: it clearly seems that the brain needs to get triggered by the stimulus, and then it is adopting to optimize its reaction for the requested task. This takes some time. The overnight effect. Can in my observation even happen over a week-of-rest-at-the-piano period. And at the piano, the muscles as well as the feedback loop of listening-evaluation-playing become trained. Both together is the advancement.

Well thought and concentrated practicing by STRICTLY CORRECT ONLY playing, usually best obtained by slow playing, usually for some period only focusing on little parts of the music, is obviously a more successful path than sloppy long time practicing and/or only repeating the full piece over and over again.

Artur Gajewski #2636646 04/26/17 04:11 PM
J
J
Hope you don't mind me saying so but when you focus on one piece that, so it seems to me, is above your skill level, you aren't learning to play the piano: you are only learning to play that specific piece. To pick up skill and actually learn to play piano, start with lower grade pieces which you can actually handle. But hey, if you like what you are doing, keep doing it. wink

BTW I was surprised to see you created and sell a piano lessons package while you apparently can't play the piano well...? Confusing. wink

I fully agree about the taking it slow part btw. You might also try doing it bar by bar and line by line too. That way you will learn the piece a lot quicker compared to when you play the entire piece over and over again. (So I found out only yesterday LOL)

EDIT
Wuffski typed quicker and beat me to it about slow and small parts. wink

Last edited by J van E; 04/26/17 04:13 PM.
Artur Gajewski #2636671 04/26/17 05:41 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Welcome Artur. Wishing you much enjoyment!

J van E #2636753 04/26/17 11:10 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by J van E
BTW I was surprised to see you created and sell a piano lessons package while you apparently can't play the piano well...? Confusing. wink

I do know how to play piano, it's just that classical pieces are challenging to me and I haven't touched piano in years. The package includes a set to teach a child the very basics as well as getting an adult started with the piano. Nothing fancy or advanced here, just the basics I am well capable of playing like scales, finger dexterity exercises, LH/LR coordination and very easy songs to practice smile

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
Artur Gajewski #2636757 04/26/17 11:20 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Hope you don't mind me saying so but when you focus on one piece that, so it seems to me, is above your skill level, you aren't learning to play the piano: you are only learning to play that specific piece. To pick up skill and actually learn to play piano, start with lower grade pieces which you can actually handle. But hey, if you like what you are doing, keep doing it. wink

Ofcourse I don't mind and you are correct, perhaps this is harder for my skill level but there is something about Fur Elise that just makes me want to practice it. I actually am getting better at it and when I get the first eight bars correct, the enjoyment I get out of it just makes me want to practice it more. Way different feeling than few few years back.

I fully agree about the taking it slow part btw. You might also try doing it bar by bar and line by line too. That way you will learn the piece a lot quicker compared to when you play the entire piece over and over again. (So I found out only yesterday LOL)

Yes, exactly. Little part after another until that one part is played well and on beat. That is exactly how I do it smile

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
Artur Gajewski #2636758 04/26/17 11:32 PM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Artur
Many of us here would recommend that you learn piano in a progressive way-- building one skill at a time and advancing repertoire as those skills develop. Rather than picking out individual pieces, which may not provide learning the skills you need, you should consider starting with an adult method book that builds skills sequentially.

This lessens frustration and leads to longevity of learning to play. Last time you tried to learn, you became frustrated and quit. Why not try a different approach? Choose the pieces you NEED rather than the pieces you like---- until you are ready for them. Fur Elise is not for a beginning pianist who needs to develop skills, if you want, as others have mentioned, to really learn to play classical rather than learn to play a couple of pieces. You will progress farther, faster, if you develop patience.

Decide if you are in it for the long run this time, or if you want to learn only your favorite pieces.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Roland LX706 Review
by Colin Miles - 12/04/20 06:41 AM
Best Headphones for Digital Piano - your experience
by lukasz-zsakul - 12/04/20 05:10 AM
Is the Hailun 218 solid spruce?
by Sonepica - 12/04/20 04:55 AM
Schiff talked about Bartók's style of playing
by symphonicdance - 12/04/20 01:46 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,254
Posts3,030,353
Members99,467
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission