2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
I want to get a piano for my son (10) who has been learning for a few years (albeit still very basic-intermediate level). I want to take it up myself too hence want something that I can keep for a VERY long time.

A year ago a friend recommended a Kawai BL-71. Went to the store yesterday and I was shown a better model (so they said) Kawai US 50 US$2,450 and Kawai ND 21 (brand new) US$3,100. They also have a BL 71 for US$2,050.

Which one would you recommend for a novice like me?

H
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
H
the US 50 in its time was one of Kawai's top uprights, intended for professional use and a long lifetime. its age and condition will determine if that price is fair and a better choice for you than the brand new piano. is the BL 71 also used ? those can be nice big uprights too. since you don't play yourself, take someone, your son's teacher maybe, who's owned or played a wide range of pianos and can properly test and audition the candidates. your consultant (ideally someone who knows what to check over as far as worn out or problematic components in used pianos) or you might not even like how one or two of them sound or play. model numbers and prices aren't the way to assess pianos, they're only shopping data.

T
OP Offline
T
Thank you for your response. The Sales Consultant recommended that I purchase a brand new one as the technology is better and offers peace of mind as oppose to owing a used one.

Kawai US 50 serial no. is K1394061

How do I check it's history or when it was built?

Yes all teh Kawai US 50 & BL 71 are secondhand. Bl71 is rather loud.

H
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
H
is this a Kawai dealer that showed you the three pianos ? it should be simple and straightforward for them to verify the manufacture year for the US 50 if they chose to, and my expectation from a dealer would be for them to know it and provide it as a matter of transparency. its age is just one factor ; the degree and type of use it saw, how it was kept and maintained, are equally or more important. the US 50 was a model built in Nippon i.i.r.c., while the ND 21 is probably Indonesian, but others are much more knowledgable about Kawais. in your initial post you said the US 50 was suggested because it is "a better model" but the sales associate is pushing the new piano out of concern for your 'peace of mind' ? the 'technology' in the US 50 is by no means obsolete, the variable is how hard it's been used and its care. you understand of course as soon as you take delivery of the brand new piano it depreciates.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission