2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,914 guests, and 364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hi There,

My niece is interested in learning to play piano. I play and can help her, but she's looking to get a book to get started on her own at home. Obviously lessons would be best but her parents can't afford them right now.

My wife is doing great with the Alfred Adult Beginner's series, but I'm not sure if there is something better for teens? My niece is 15.

Can anyone recommend a book series?

Thanks,
Jamie

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I treat beginners at this age much like adult beginners, so I use adult method books most of the time.

Does she have any musical background? If she can do basic reading, I recommend Frances Clark's Keyboard Musician for the Adult Beginner. It's a no-frills book, but has an excellent forward to the student on how to practice. This book contains sightreading exercises, technical exercises, and exercises in harmonizing and transposing. I find this to be the most complete method.

I'd still recommend a separate theory book to work alongside this. I used Keith Snell's Fundamentals of Piano Theory.

Another decent method for adults is Hal Leonard's Adult Method. This may be a bit more appealing visually and comes with CDs to play along with, but is not as deep as the Clark book. But still a good method, IMO. I prefer it to Alfred.

Lastly, I also use Accelerated Piano Adventures once in a while, but I only use this is certain circumstances. The problem is that even though it's accelerated, it's still not usually "fast enough" for later beginners. Also, I feel that since it's accelerated, it's not as deep as it should be.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the info.

She started with violin and switched to viola. From what she says, the school did a horrible job teaching her. They would write in the letters of the notes on the sheet music, and never taught her how to properly sight read. For most of the music in band, she's had to write the letters in her self or memorize. When I played trombone in school, the teachers were great and started from scratch and I was able to learn properly.

Her school seems to neglect string instruments. They stuck the violins and violas in with the regular band and they can't hear themselves play.

She's dropping viola and wants to switch to piano (not in school, just for herself).

M
M
Originally Posted by Piano Tipping
Thanks for the info.

She started with violin and switched to viola. From what she says, the school did a horrible job teaching her. They would write in the letters of the notes on the sheet music, and never taught her how to properly sight read. For most of the music in band, she's had to write the letters in her self or memorize. When I played trombone in school, the teachers were great and started from scratch and I was able to learn properly.

Her school seems to neglect string instruments. They stuck the violins and violas in with the regular band and they can't hear themselves play.

She's dropping viola and wants to switch to piano (not in school, just for herself).

Then I think she'd do well with the Frances Clark book. It is less focused on individual note reading and more focused on intervals, but of course the individual note reading shouldn't be neglected: it's just this book assumes you can read the individual notes.

So she would simply supplement with the music theory book and music theory websites that drill note reading like musictheory.net and teoria.com.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
OK, great. Thanks for the info!

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission