2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 1,921 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2633236 04/15/17 12:57 PM
E
OP Offline
E
For the past 3-4 days I've been having a mild pain on the inside of my left wrist. It started out as a weird, uncomfortable feeling, numbness is the closest accurate description I can think of, but it was very mild. It was barely there at times, so I wondered if it was my imagination, but nevertheless I decreased my practice time dramatically. The next day, the feeling was still there and started turning into pain. At most the pain would reach a 4 on a 1-10 scale and it wasn't consistent. Occasionally it would 'shoot' up my forearm to the elbow, but that's rare. So, I took a day off and didn't play at all.

I checked the symptoms for all the common pianist injuries such as tendinitis, carpal tunnel, etc. but the symptoms don't match any of them, I have no swelling or redness, my wrist is as flexible as before and there are no sensations in my fingers. Anyone have any idea what this could be? The pain isn't bad enough to go to a doctor, I would think, I forget about it most of the time, but I'm worried that if I play piano as usual I might make it worse.

Last edited by Emeraldz; 04/15/17 12:58 PM.
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
If the pain is completely gone after your day off, try practicing again, but severely reduce the amount of time. Maybe only 15 minutes for the day and see how you do. If you experience no pain, then then next day add 15 minutes, but be sure to take a break in between the 2 15-min. segments.

What are you working on?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by Morodiene
If the pain is completely gone after your day off, try practicing again, but severely reduce the amount of time. Maybe only 15 minutes for the day and see how you do. If you experience no pain, then then next day add 15 minutes, but be sure to take a break in between the 2 15-min. segments.

What are you working on?

I played some scales today and it doesn't hurt to play except when I'm crossing the thumb under my hand, or my hand over the thumb.
I'm working on Turkish March by Mozart, Tarantella by Pieczonka and English Suite 1: Bourree 2 by Bach

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have been dealing with DeQuervians since last Fall. I had no swelling or redness, just started out with a pain on the top of wrist near thumb and 2nd finger. Went to a Dr. in Nov. after it got worse and learned it was indeed DeQuervians. Since then I have had 2 steroid shots, 6 therapy sessions...and it is still there. I can play, but doing low octaves hurts. I must move my body low over the keyboard. I have total flexibility of my L.hand but certain movements like reaching for a door knob cause pain.. I wear a brace most of the day and ice as well. I cannot just totally rest my LH. Am left handed by the way. I recently learned that taking the antibiotic Cipro is VERY bad for tendons. Stopped that! Had been taking it for the last 5 years off and on. I am not sold on the idea of surgery, Have to confer with a Dr. again soon.

Musica 71
M
M
OK, Then it's most likely due to a technical issue, possibly related to your thumb. This is something that can get particularly tense.

If you have a teacher, tell them what's going on and see if they can help or direct you to someone who can. Someone who teaches Taubman is really good.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
DeQuervians IS tendonitis involving the thumb. I do not have a teacher....taught piano for 42 years. I have a degree in Piano Performance. It may also be a result of my doing barn work (shoveling, lifting) , housework, etc. I don 't understand why it would wait until now to show up if it were caused by piano playing. I just turned 80! I'm going to Boston in June for the competition. Played last week at a group and took Advil first..went OK.

Last edited by musica71; 04/15/17 10:13 PM.

Musica 71
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by musica71
I have been dealing with DeQuervians since last Fall. I had no swelling or redness, just started out with a pain on the top of wrist near thumb and 2nd finger. Went to a Dr. in Nov. after it got worse and learned it was indeed DeQuervians. Since then I have had 2 steroid shots, 6 therapy sessions...and it is still there. I can play, but doing low octaves hurts. I must move my body low over the keyboard. I have total flexibility of my L.hand but certain movements like reaching for a door knob cause pain.. I wear a brace most of the day and ice as well. I cannot just totally rest my LH. Am left handed by the way. I recently learned that taking the antibiotic Cipro is VERY bad for tendons. Stopped that! Had been taking it for the last 5 years off and on. I am not sold on the idea of surgery, Have to confer with a Dr. again soon.

That sounds awful!

Poetry is rhythm
E
OP Offline
E
Update:
My right wrist is starting to show the same symptoms even though for the past couple days I've played for 5-10 minutes at most (right hand only, since I'm resting my LH). The feeling is somewhat similar to what you feel when you hit your funny bone, but it's not painful and much milder. But this time, it's not just the wrist, but forearm too. I'll probably have to cancel my next lesson if this doesn't stop. And I'm young (didn't reach middle-age yet), so this is particularly surprising, and I've been playing for years.

@musica71 Sorry to hear about your DeQuervians, hope it gets better. Good luck in Boston!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That sounds like some sort of nerve problem..feels like going to sleep, tingling. I would get it looked at. I have found in my research of this condition that people have different (slightly different) symptoms and respond to treatments differently as well. Pregnant women and women with newborns often get DeQuervians, it is called "Mommy Thumb" and is related to the way they use their hands differently in caring for an infant. It usually goes away on it's own. I am a long time from having a newborn (they are in their 50's.). Repetitive motion is not good....a friend of mine from Julliard got it when unpacking after moving. She was able to totally rest her hand for 3 weeks and it went away. That is hard to do when life goes on.

Musica 71
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Tingling can result from things going wrong from the shoulders on down. It's about trapped nerves.

Laissez tomber les mains
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
Tingling can result from things going wrong from the shoulders on down. It's about trapped nerves.

And a sign to stop whatever one has been doing, since nerve damage is very slow to heal if it's allowed to progress futher.

I'd suggest seeing the doctor to be sure, but it sounds so similar to the tendinitis issues I've been dealing with, as a result of tight forearm muscles. Stretching and massage helps me a lot. Also, a physical therapist told me that shoulder strengthening exercises are very important too, as weak shoulders can cause you to overwork other parts of your arm to compensate.

aka Lady Arabesque
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/hayburner1969
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Emeraldz..I do hope when you find out what is wrong that you will post the update. Good Luck!

Musica 71
M
M
I recently suffered this same "tingling" sensation in my right thumb, due to my cat accidentally biting me. It turned into a fungal infection. These are tough to get rid of. Luckily it doesn't affect my playunf, and my playing doesn't make it better or worse.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by musica71
Emeraldz..I do hope when you find out what is wrong that you will post the update. Good Luck!

I will! And thank you!

E
OP Offline
E
I asked people from my church to pray for me and now the pain is gone. So I guess I won't find out what caused it, but I'm happy I can start playing piano again.

T
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Emeraldz
The pain isn't bad enough to go to a doctor

When I had a pain in my shoulder, I put off going to a doctor until I couldn't raise my arm - torn rotator cuff. Find yourself a good orthopedist. It may be that physical therapy can help - they can do wonders.

Last edited by tend to rush; 04/22/17 07:17 AM.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission