2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Norbert Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Sometimes things get funny, this is what I have received in my email this morning:

James is my name and I am sending this email to you in regards to some Pianos I will wish to order from your shop.Kindly send me the lists and prices of the used or reconditioned Grand Pianos you have available for-sale.If that may be a problem for you to do,then I will kindly ask you to email me back with a website so that i can just choose the pianos that will suit what I really want to order. I hope to hear from you soon and also do you take Credit Card as form of payment?

Perhaps he hopes to have me send some concert grands for free?

Norbert grin

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
I knew a couple of guys from HS that thought they were the shitz. During college they called me to join in on a utilities-resale team to sell alternative electricity providers to local homes. I wanted a real job without having to go door-to-door so I declined. Only later did I learn what a pyramid scheme is. Such friends!

Originally Posted by gnuboi
I knew a couple of guys from HS that thought they were the shitz. During college they called me to join in on a utilities-resale team to sell alternative electricity providers to local homes. I wanted a real job without having to go door-to-door so I declined. Only later did I learn what a pyramid scheme is. Such friends!

Many years ago, I attended a Seminary college (who'd a ever thought it, right?). Many years later, one of my fellow seminary classmates, who was pastoring a church in a small town about 50 miles away, calls me on the telephone. Remember, I have not heard from this person in 40+ years. He asked me if I was the Rickster who attended such-n-such seminary back in 19**, and I said it was. He says, "hey, this is so-and-so, do you remember me"?

Well, yes, I remembered him well. A very nice guy, and very bright and intelligent. Next, he tells me he's pastoring a church about 50 miles away, and asked if I would be interested in meeting for lunch or dinner. I said I might. Next, he begins his sales pitch, which didn't take me long to guess why he wanted to meet and have this glorious friendship/fellow classmate reunion. AMWAY... or as he put it, American Way.

Next, I tell him over the phone that I'm not interested in selling Amway products. He says, "how can you say you are not interested when you have not heard what I have to say"? I tell him I've heard it before, and, from a few fellow church members.

Moral of the story? Can't we be friends without trying to sell me something, or recruit me to sell something for you?

And, to make this post relevant, Norbert, maybe that was Jesse James who sent you the email. laugh

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I used to get those emails, and I'm not a dealer. I can't believe anyone would fall for that, given the way it's written.

Norbert Offline OP
OP Offline
I used to get those emails, and I'm not a dealer. I can't believe anyone would fall for that, given the way it's written

You're totally right.
That's why I thought it was actually quite amusing...

Norbert grin

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Hey, as long as you guys are putting these inventory lists together, how about sending me the best piano on your list? I've already sent each of you a certified check for $1,000,000.00, so just tuck some cash into the bench to cover my refund when you ship me the piano. thumb

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
This is why we can't have nice things. Like trust.

O
O
I own a small business, manufacturing air compressors. I get 5 to 10 of these, in various forms, every day. It is a sad commentary on society we have so many out to take what they haven't earned, instead of being productive.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
And watch out for the fence salesman who will sell you only the HOLES that the fence posts go into! 😀

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
And watch out for the fence salesman who will sell you only the HOLES that the fence posts go into! 😀

If he'll dig the holes, we might have a deal.

Poetry is rhythm
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Norbert
I used to get those emails, and I'm not a dealer. I can't believe anyone would fall for that, given the way it's written

You're totally right.
That's why I thought it was actually quite amusing...

Norbert grin

There was a thread awhile back about 'scamming the scammer'.... why don't you guys think up a way to scam him? I'm not very creative, but you could probably keep him going for quite some time by sending him a piano list, waiting for a response, and then telling him 'two have been sold'. Replace those two after a few days, then sell off more. There are probably creative ways to elaborate on this.
You could find a way to keep him busy... over nothing

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
It's too bad that pianos are so big...

Laptop Scam: turnabout is fair play!

P

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by phantomFive
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi

If he'll dig the holes, we might have a deal.

Indeed. That's the hard part.

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
dogperson,
A retail business would have to be careful enacting your plan. State and federal consumer protection laws require you to honestly respond to inventory and pricing. If your response lists lower prices than what you have been advertising, you may be accused of fraudulent advertising.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Originally Posted by EdMcMorrowRPT
dogperson,
A retail business would have to be careful enacting your plan. State and federal consumer protection laws require you to honestly respond to inventory and pricing. If your response lists lower prices than what you have been advertising, you may be accused of fraudulent advertising.

In my view, the best way to deal with a scammer, via telephone or email, is to completely ignore them and not respond at all. Hang up the phone, or permanently delete the email.

You might get some giggles playing around with them and keeping a dialog going, but you won't do anything to get back at the scammer. I've been down this road already.

I've called the local sheriff's department, the State governor's office of consumer affairs, and the US Federal Trade Commission to try and go after phone and email scammers.

The local Sheriff's department took a report, and gave me a case number, and said they would investigate, but there wasn't much they could do. I never heard back from them.

The guy I spoke to on the phone with the Governor's office of consumer affairs was very nice, cordial, and professional; he wrote down the information I provided and gave me a case number, but said there really wasn't much hope in finding these people, because often, they are located in foreign countries where the US has no jurisdiction. He referred me to the FTC and provided a phone number.

Surprisingly, someone at the FTC answered the phone right away, without much waiting, and the guy was also cordial and professional. He asked me several questions regarding my scammer complaint, which I answered, and provided the scammer's phone number. He took the information and gave me a case number, but also told me that the phone and email scammers were difficult to catch and prosecute because they were often located in foreign countries where the US has little or no jurisdiction.

He also told me that when they do find the location of the scammers, they have packed up and moved, leaving no evidence behind. He said the best thing to do was to just hang up if we don't know the person calling, and not open or respond to emails we suspect are scammers.

So, this menace to society is a difficult cancer to fight. Expect more of the same, and be wise and on guard against the scammer(s); they are not difficult to recognize, as a general rule. But senior citizens and individuals with disabilities are especially vulnerable.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bob
I can't believe anyone would fall for that, given the way it's written.

I know a guy who has sent over $20,000 to some, supposedly, woman in Ghana. They're going to be married once she flies over here, but somehow one thing or another keeps going wrong on her way to the airport which requires him to send more money.

So far both her mother and chauffeur have died. And she's been detained by customs in both London and Amsterdam trying to bring a bunch of gold bars with her.

Gary
A
A
After reading the whole post, I have learned more about this topic. Thank you so much.

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Plowboy
Originally Posted by Bob
I can't believe anyone would fall for that, given the way it's written.

I know a guy who has sent over $20,000 to some, supposedly, woman in Ghana. They're going to be married once she flies over here, but somehow one thing or another keeps going wrong on her way to the airport which requires him to send more money.

So far both her mother and chauffeur have died. And she's been detained by customs in both London and Amsterdam trying to bring a bunch of gold bars with her.

man, some people just can't catch a break... when it rains it pours. wink

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Sadly, a friend of mine got caught up in one of these things (my best friend's sister, who had married another close friend of ours).

She was determined that she was going to "score" somehow, and kept sending more money. It's really sad to see someone so deluded. She was also sick, and had been for many years, and somehow she thought this "money" was going to make a difference in her life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission