2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 8 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
novos Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hello there,

I'm a conservatorium graduate, been studying to play for 11 years, in a so so level. Haven't played much in the last 7 years but i attend to come back to this, this summer.

I'm a student so i'm not sure where i'll live in the years to come, so i haven't decided which is better for me, the portable versions or like an upright piano version.

I only play classical music, I might try jazz somewhere in future.

I haven't tried any digital piano yet, but from the internet research i've made, i'm pretty much down to 2 models: Yamaha YDP-163 or Casio AP-460.

Basically the things that are important to me the most are the sound (of course, to be resembled as a piano and not electric one), and the touch, or so to say- the action.

I have no experience with them and this is only based on online research.

Just wanted to know what were your thoughts about them, and whether if there were models that would come out soon, so the prices of the above mentioned models will go down, since i'll buy it in about 2 months.

Thanks!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
When first venturing out to try digital pianos I had the casio AP line in mind due to price but 5 minutes spent at one changed my mind.
The action resembled a very low end acoustic upright, the sound was tinny and unconvincing to me sorry to say.

I do not know your budget - digital pianos seem to vary in price very much depending on locale so your short listed models say little in this regard - but I would urge to go to some stores and try as many as you can.

Roland HP605|Senheiser HD558|MSFT Surface Pro 4|coffee
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
I would choose the Yamaha because:
- I like the sound more (completely subjective, I know)
- The action is closer to a real piano in some aspects like the key length/pivot point (and might not be in some others, also this is somewhat of a matter of taste)
- It probably tolerates heavy use better without becoming clunky, rattly and in general an annoyance in a year or so (a hypothesis somewhat backed with empirical evidence from web forums)
- It's a Yamaha. A Casio is a Casio. (Now I'm just being silly.)

And the Clavinova CLP-525 might not be much more expensive. It was just replaced by CLP-625 so now the prices are low and soon they all sold out.

I don't remember exactly how the CLP-525 is better than the YDP-163. There are some minor things under the "Real Grand Expression" label, "smooth release" perhaps(?)

I haven't seen any rumours about a YDP-164. The YDP-163 used to cost a little more some time ago, I think.

A Kawai CN-27 wouldn't cost an awful lot of more than those models and it has a nice selection of (actually) different piano sounds. Some suited for classical, some for jazz and there's even an upright, which is a rare thing to find.

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
...and people in general seem to be impressed by Kawai CN-37's improved speaker system over the CN-27, but then the price rises even more.

N
novos Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thanks for your replies. Budget is around 1500$. I don't live in a place where i can try many models, only some of the Yamaha,Casio and Roland.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by novos
I haven't tried any digital piano yet, but from the internet research i've made, i'm pretty much down to 2 models: Yamaha YDP-163 or Casio AP-460.

You should try out a lot of pianos in person. I can assure you, you will end up with a decision much different from what you expected before.

Internet research can't tell you if you like an actual instrument.

Yamaha P-515
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoeT
Originally Posted by novos

You should try out a lot of pianos in person. I can assure you, you will end up with a decision much different from what you expected before.

Internet research can't tell you if you like an actual instrument.

+1

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
N
novos Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Yeah well, I knew that already.. i just thought that maybe i'd hear some interesting opinion before i go and hear them.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
My favorite is the Yamaha. I dislike thr Casio keyboard. But your preference may differ.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Why not plan a small vacation to a large city and take a tour of several music stores.

Another option for you is to rent a piano.

For more money you can buy an actual hybrid with a realistic grand piano action. Yamaha, Casio, and Kawai make such hybrids.

Spend more time online and definitely spend more time here. There's a wealth of information here.

I'm a professional pianist and I would personally stay way from acoustic pianos unless you have the resources to keep the beast perpetually tuned. When I owned an acoustic grand I would have it tuned up to six times a year. Now with a hybrid, I have a grand piano action and every morning I'm greeted with a perfectly tuned piano; that doesn't get old.

The Yamaha NU1, an upright piano hybrid, might be worth your time to investigate. It's more than you want to spend but you'll save a s***load of money on tuning. smile

Casio also makes two hybrids. Give them a try.

Good luck with your quest!

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
You might try a Roland FP-90. It's $1,800, just above your budget. But see what an extra $300 will buy.

You'll need a stand, and maybe a 3-pedal unit. And it will be _really_ easy to move, in the future.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
N
novos Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I don't think i'll buy a DP above 1500$, but i'll check this model out.

Thanks.

Last edited by novos; 04/15/17 02:09 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
good value that one - Roland puts its top of the line action and sound engine in there.. and sticker price need not be price paid with some negotiation

Roland HP605|Senheiser HD558|MSFT Surface Pro 4|coffee
You can try any recent model casio to get the feeling of it, they have one keyboard and one piano muli-sample that is used in all the current PX and AP, except the AP700 (which is out of your budget).
I have PX-860 and I am rather satisfied with it - how it plays, sounds as well as how it looks.

Casio PX-860, Roland Fantom G, Kurzweil PC1X, Korg Micro X
N
novos Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thank you all for your comments.

J
J
If we are looking for a bit more expensive digital pianos, in this case I would recommend CA-17 instead of CN-37... Over budget but could still worth to try before making the final decision.

O
O
I started out in a very similar way. Did some internet research to see what pianos had good reviews etc. Figured I go to my local shop and look at Casios, Yamahas and Rolands.

Took about 15 seconds to realise I couldn't stand the Casios due to their action. Loud, clicky, harsh...+ any other description of their action that you can find here. I was surprised given how well they are reviewed for their value elsewhere. Tried some Yamahas and Rolands, seemed similar in feel/action. Salesperson suggested I sit down at a couple of Kawais - the KDP90 and CN27. KDP90 was OK. But good lord the second I touched the CN27, the feel was so many times better. Threw me for a loop as I wasn't intending to look at Kawais at all.

Ok Ok, so the CN27 has a very nice feel. Oh, what's this one next to it? A CN37 you say? Let's try that one - oh ok the sound is better on this one. Hmmmmm, a CN37 you say. A few more visits to the shop later playing this piano....oh wait, what's this one next to it? A CA97 you say? Ok wow, once again, another step up in feel and WOW the sound on this is incredible, even through headphones!

But maybe the CA17 or the CA67 is more reasonable/affordable. None in stock, CA67s apparently have a waiting list a couple of months long in Australia. Great.

Salesperson offers amazing deal on a CA97 for about the same price as a CA67. Done.

Went in looking for a casio/yamaha - walked out a few weeks later with a new Kawai CA97. Couldn't be happier. Feel is amazing. Sound is amazing. Only had it a week or so, but I'm going to enjoy this smile

Kawai CA97 (soon to be CA98)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congrats ori0n! Thank you for sharing your DP shopping experience. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
J
J
One more remark after ori0n's comment:
As far as I understood, key action is a real priority. So I simply applied the general advice to look for a better keyboard instead of lots of extra features. (however some new resonance features of CN-37 could be important with respect to sound).

Kawai KDP-90

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission