2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, 13 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
A FREE webcast concert with Jim Brickman and a chance to WIN a Roland FP-30 digital piano!

When? Wednesday April 12, 2017 - Two showtimes availalbe 3pm & 6pm PDT so Pacific Time
Where? Anywhere with an internet connection (and a suitable viewing device)!

http://www.rolandus.com/newsletters/ads/2017/03-27_jim_brickman_webcast/

Are you curious how digital pianos sound and perform? Jim will be playing the Roland GP607 digital grand piano and taking questions and song requests so you can hear for yourself and enjoy a concert all at once.

***Please note that we checked with the wonderful owner of Pianoworld, Frank, and he approved this post to allow the members here a chance to win a Roland Digital Piano as well as the opportunity to interact with Jim in a live stream. No purchase is required whatsoever.***

Thanks and enjoy the free show!
Jim Brickman Music

Jim Brickman Music
www.jimbrickman.com
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
International participants (Europe, Asia, South America, Canada, Australia, ...) could win the FP-30 and the delivery of it?

OP Offline
Good question, my apologies for not clarifying. Unfortunately, the contest portion is only open to US residents whom are the age of majority, but the webcast is free worldwide.

Jim Brickman Music
www.jimbrickman.com
C
C
Jim, I am searching for a piano and it will be with me for ever at my middle age here.....I am interested in a digital, but it just doesn't "seem right" somehow, compared to a "real" piano.....can you really "feel" the keys and does it really sound like a grand piano? Or is it really just, well "digital". I have a hard time thinking it would have a soul or character like traditional pianos.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Charleyanne
Jim, I am searching for a piano and it will be with me for ever at my middle age here.....I am interested in a digital, but it just doesn't "seem right" somehow, compared to a "real" piano.....can you really "feel" the keys and does it really sound like a grand piano? Or is it really just, well "digital". I have a hard time thinking it would have a soul or character like traditional pianos.

Hey Charleyanne,
This would be a great question to ask on the webcast smile
Here are some quick points from my experience:
- Like acoustic pianos, digital pianos will have a different feel between brands and models and sometimes even between the same model.
- Digital pianos can do a great job at mimicking the feel of an acoustic piano. Some of them are even loaded with the exact same "hammer action" mechanisms as an acoustic. I would suggest visiting your local music or piano store and spending some quality time with them to get an idea.
- The sound of a good quality digital piano is carefully and painstakingly modeled after one or several acoustic pianos, they capture the nuances of an acoustic piano as best as possible. Will it have the same "quirks" as an acoustic piano? Not really, since each model of digital piano is loaded with the same sounds. The sounds they come loaded with vary between models and manufacturers.
- That can also be beneficial since digital pianos require virtually no maintenance. An acoustic piano should be tuned and serviced at least once a year while digital will always stay in tune.
- As for soul and character, well that can be a personal opinion, by far. As you may have seen in my "story time with Jim" (you can find it on YouTube) segment, I have my favorite acoustic piano. It has a "thing" for sure, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy playing a good quality digital piano. Once you try a few and weigh the pros and cons you'll probably have a great idea what you want for a long term investment"
Thanks for asking!
Jim Brickman Music

Last edited by Jim Brickman; 04/08/17 01:40 PM.

Jim Brickman Music
www.jimbrickman.com
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
I'm bumping this back up because I'd love to see one of our own win the keyboard.

Please be aware, Piano World has no involvement in this broadcast or contest. We are not receiving any compensation, nor are we endorsing any particular artist or product.

Someone from Jim's team contacted me to ask permission, we discussed the details including that there could be no selling involved. I checked the signup procedure and decided to go ahead for two reasons.
I thought an interactive session with Jim might be fun for anyone that is a fan, and there is a chance of winning a new keyboard.

Good luck.

Frank B.
Piano World

OP Offline
Thanks Frank!

Jim Brickman Music
www.jimbrickman.com
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Who won? I had to deal with a family matter so I missed the podcast frown

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
OP Offline
The lucky winner is Stephanie Anderson, she has been contacted already. I'm sorry you were unable to watch and hope everything is OK now. There is a stream link on Jim Brickman Music facebook page if you'd like to see the show.

Jim Brickman Music
www.jimbrickman.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jim Brickman
There is a stream link on Jim Brickman Music facebook page if you'd like to see the show.
Thank you.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission