2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
54 members (chopinetto, achoo42, CyberGene, Beowulf, David Lai, David B, 14 invisible), 548 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What is your long term piano goal?
#2631480 04/09/17 05:22 AM
S
OP Offline
S
What level are you aiming for with piano? What are your ultimate goals?

I know our goals change but I would like to achieve a level where I can play intermediate level pieces with comfort and ease after practice. Maybe the occasional late intermediate with a lot of practice.

I desire to be very good at reading music (not sight reading) so I can learn new pieces fast.

I would like my sightreading to be upto the usual standard of a few grades below playing level but have no real desire for it to be exceptional. I also have no real desire to improvise.

It would be very interesting to know what other members aims and ambitions are.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: What is your long term piano goal?
Scottswald #2631481 04/09/17 05:32 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Initially my goal was word-for-word similar to yours, and it still is my goal but only for the mid-term. But now that I can call myself "early intermediate" I feel more and more that my goal of being able to sight-read or at least learn intermediate pieces is very much possible in a few years' time so recently I extended my goal to become proficient enough to enter a top conservatory in my country. Not that I'm planning to get a piano degree--I just want the possibility open in the future. I don't want to hold back in my learning. I'm diving right into the deep end!

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
Scottswald #2631483 04/09/17 06:04 AM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
What is almost impossible for me is to define ' intermediate ' Or 'advanced' Or any combination of the above. Not only do those definitions seem to change from person to person, but my definition of what they are changes the more I improve. Therefore, I no longer describe my goals as a level, but the ability to play the things on my long-term wish list, which I only think of as 'someday but not yet list'.

Part of this problem is due to the way I personally approach music. It is not an enough for me to say, 'yes, I can play that ', so it can be ticked off the list. But I want to play everything at a performance standard worthy of Carnegie Hall . A tough personal standard, indeed. I've learned to accept that with such a standard , I may never get to where 'there' is, but to enjoy every moment of where I am. It is the only thing that works for me to avoid frustration at not moving fast enough .

I don't know if this really helps you or not, but it is the best explanation I think I can give of what is my personal goal.

Scottswald #2631488 04/09/17 07:00 AM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I'm aiming to surpass the beginning steps in piano playing, and that without tension or frustration.
The ultimate goal I put away as far as possible.

Czerny's Piano School Vol. 1, now at #77 and giving it a break.
Scottswald #2631489 04/09/17 07:00 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
To be good by the time I'm 60, and play until I'm at least 90. "Good" means able to play some kick-arse big pieces and lots of smaller but beautiful pieces to a reasonable performance level, confidently and without anxiety. Also to keep the art of acoustic piano playing alive by inspiring younger generations to learn and persevere. Also, to keep learning, to fend off Alzheimers!

Last edited by cathryn999; 04/09/17 07:25 AM.

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
cathryn999 #2631493 04/09/17 07:10 AM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by cathryn999

Also, to keep learning fend off Alzheimers!

grin

Czerny's Piano School Vol. 1, now at #77 and giving it a break.
RaggedKeyPresser #2631495 04/09/17 07:24 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RaggedKeyPresser

Also, to keep learning fend off Alzheimers!

grin

grin... edited!

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
Scottswald #2631500 04/09/17 08:23 AM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I had no specific long-term goal when I was a student, and to this day, I don't have one wink . The good thing about that (for someone like me with less than mediocre talent) is that I enjoyed every step of the journey with no long-term pressure on myself - even the stresses involved in exam preparation (which I liken to training for the marathon, or Everest, a few decades later), because of the feeling of achievement to be gained afterwards. And that I kept on with it while surveying and taking in the scenery (i.e. discovering beautiful music) along the way, and the better I got, the more I was able to take in, and the more depth I could get into the scenery. And therefore, the more I enjoyed it.

It's like rock-climbing - as a beginner, you're just concentrating on keeping your balance and not falling off. When you get better, you can take in the intricacies of each step you take (and how you're going to approach each step), and even enjoy the exposure, and the scenery around you, without worrying about falling off.

So, when I was a student, I was just doing what my teachers asked of me to the best of ability, trusting that they knew their job. Knowing that they knew their job, because I kept improving technically & musically, and each year, I found I could play pieces that the year before, I barely managed to get my fingers round the notes. Of course, I also had 'independent confirmation' of that via the ABRSM grades. And that they equipped me with the skills to learn a lot of stuff on my own, collaborate with fellow music students playing other instruments, or playing piano duets, sing in the school chapel choir (because I had enough aural skills to sight-sing adequately), even conduct.

But what about now, as an adult? I'm now learning, and performing, much more difficult pieces than I ever did as a teenage student. It just evolved gradually, when I finally acquired my own piano in 2010 and could practice any time, rather than rely on very occasional access to pianos (as I had to since finishing with university). Quite a surprise to me that I can still get better, even at my age.

Public performance was something that was never on my cards as a student - my performance anxiety saw to that, but like so much of what I'm now doing musically, it came about first by accident (when I was playing for an audience without realizing it because I was so engrossed in the music), then through a series of opportunities offered (firstly, a lecture-recital, where I could 'hide' behind my lecture notes on the table beside the stool, therefore wasn't so 'exposed' to the audience), and taken up: I was invited to do a monthly recital series a few years ago, and it's gone from strength to strength, and given new purpose to my learning of new pieces.

And seeing how the audience appreciated the music more than makes up for my performance anxiety issues, which never left me: I just manage it better, helped by the fact that my audience aren't classical aficionados, and therefore I wasn't under scrutiny and being compared to all the greats they've ever heard. They were just there to enjoy the music. And a bonus that I never anticipated - my recitals had inspired a few lapsed pianists to dust down their old uprights, get a tuner, and restart playing. A couple even restarted lessons, and some others had asked me on how to 'get into' classical music, and how to start learning piano. (My advice? Exactly the same as what I offer here in ABF).

In other words, without putting myself under pressure to achieve specific goals, I've found myself doing a lot, lot more with my piano playing than I ever thought I would. grin

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Scottswald #2631505 04/09/17 08:43 AM
P
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
P
Asked when I started lessons 4 years ago, now, and in 4 years time. The goals have changed, and a little knowledge of one self gets dangerous! I am grateful I have teacher who sees my self drive and self motivation that I am guided to play and study pieces like Debussy arabesques or Chopin nocturne 9-2. Is the theory at that level, nope, but I made a tough decision that I m not going to sit exams...[done too many for my profession already, I needed to enjoy this experience]. As young kid whose parents could not afford lessons, and now as adult learning, my simple goal remains the same: learning to play piano! But the Act of playing has given me back so much more than I ever could imagine, and right at the time I needed it in my life. My list of would like to play one day keeps growing,and jazz is still on the cards, but classical repertoire is keeping me busy! This forum has been blessing in helping me to meet some challenging goals like MOYD and 40 pieces...e recitals. I am forever breaking through my own expectations that I don't set them anymore, and continue to push out my comfort zone, which I decided is very much man-made😬

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
Scottswald #2631506 04/09/17 08:45 AM
A broad long term goal I have with the piano is to have the ability to play whatever I compose. Right now I'm writing passages that are too difficult for my fingers. I want better and/finger independence so that I can play many voices at once.

I also want to one day be able to play Chopin's Winter Wind Etude, as well as Beethoven's Kreutzer sonata with a violinist friend.

cathryn999 #2631511 04/09/17 09:10 AM
M
M
To be good by the time I'm 60, and play until I'm at least 90. "Good" means able to play some kick-arse big pieces and lots of smaller but beautiful pieces to a reasonable performance level, confidently and without anxiety. Also to keep the art of acoustic piano playing alive by inspiring younger generations to learn and persevere. Also, to keep learning, to fend off Alzheimers!
I am already over 60, so I want to learn as many pieces as I can. Considering that I started playing seriously less than a year ago without a teacher, I seem to be making progress satisfactorily. I have memorized the first movement of Pathetique and am working on a few other pieces including the third movement of Moonlight. I hope to be able to play the g-minor Ballade in the near future,

Scottswald #2631513 04/09/17 09:13 AM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I can't say I ever had or have any goals. I just play everyday, learning something new and discovering something new. My wife enjoys listening and I enjoy exploring.

Richrf #2631516 04/09/17 09:29 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I've been at it 5 years, self-taught. I've acheived a few goals. I have performed live on stage on a grand piano. I have written several pieces, including a modest suite of music.

I would love to be able to sing and play piano, but that's where that aptitude thing comes in. I've been asked not to sing on more than one occasion. Perhaps with tremendous effort and voice lessons I might be able to sing at second or third rate level (instead of having people ask me to stop). However, spending all that time and money seems like a vain pursuit that probably leads to more aggravation and disappointment than anything else.

So for now, I seek to enjoy the journey, not worry about what others are doing or might want to tell me to do. It is a good place, even if I am no longer moving very much in terms of goals or skills, or skill level.

Scottswald #2631543 04/09/17 11:08 AM
M
M
I am happiest when I can motivate myself by progress. Setting a level - an achievement - is okay, but gets frustrating if I can't hit it in the time I had expected. As others have just pointed out, you get to the same place regardless of whether you measure progress/process or achievement, but by different roads. "I will play a 3rd movement of a Mozart Sonata this year" or "I will begin to learn some music that has difficult passage work at speed, and here are the steps I will take.....I will find enjoyment when I untangle even one measure....I will find the steps that will help me get through a transition without having to stop for a second to remember where I am.....I will recognize that this passage isn't working because I'm letting my thumb drop below the keyboard level, and I need to keep it in active position.....". Gets you to the same place, but for me specifically, the second option gives a lot more check points and a lot more places to declare individual victories.

Mason & Hamlin A ('97)
Scottswald #2631555 04/09/17 11:27 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I can't say I have a long term goal, I should probably come up with one. My outlook on piano today is much different than what it was at the beginning of 2016. It will probably be different at the beginning of 2018, who knows. I try to keep it simple. My goal today is to suck a little less than yesterday ... that's all I can do laugh

Seriously though, piano is just a hobby for me. It will never be a profession, but I enjoy learning it. It beats watching brain dead TV. I don't even have cable anymore, so that $100 a month can go towards lessons. I just watch Gaia.com.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube
[Linked Image]
Scottswald #2631564 04/09/17 12:29 PM
K
K
Despite having interest in learning piano, my family didn't have the resources to send me for lessons when I was young. Eventually, I self-taught myself piano for many years since elementary school and played whatever score I could get my hands on, at a time where internet was still not widespread. It also helped that I joined a musical group in school for a decade or so which developed my reading skills.

Fast forward, I started taking fortnightly lessons close to a year ago and now hope I can be as proficient as my ability allows. I find that playing piano (or making music) works a different part of my brain from work and family and I often find myself refreshed during lessons and practice.

[Linked Image]
Scottswald #2631588 04/09/17 01:52 PM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
It's not a "long term goal". I have a list of pieces that I want to play.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
wouter79 #2631591 04/09/17 01:58 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by wouter79
It's not a "long term goal". I have a list of pieces that I want to play.
Same here. I don't really have long-term goals at this point, just pieces that I hope to someday have the time to learn (or learn correctly).

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Scottswald #2631594 04/09/17 02:00 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Just to keep improving - I think every year I have improved.

Of course, I am the judge, and my standards are low...

As I approach the second half of my 60th decade, I know I can't keep improving forever!

Sam

Morodiene #2631597 04/09/17 02:06 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I aim to play "The Lark" by Balakirev. Then I`ll be able to play 3 decent tunes I can remember . . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Roland A-88mk2 - clunky black keys?
by Karnevil - 07/13/20 01:53 PM
PianoLink International Amateur Competition
by SiFi - 07/13/20 01:17 PM
Searchable databases for prior VI deals
by newer player - 07/13/20 12:16 PM
Rythm Apps
by dima5222 - 07/13/20 11:27 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,233
Posts2,980,238
Members97,760
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission