Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

Ad
Schumann's 4th Finger
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online
143 registered (alwatson, 36251, accordeur, alphonsus, ajames, 43 invisible), 2092 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2631485 - 04/09/17 06:38 AM Best Exercise for Mastering the Bebop Dominant Scale?
Musicdude Offline

I saw an exercise somewhere, where the idea was to
practice rootless dominant 7th voicings in the left
hand, while moving around the circle of fifths, starting
with the key of C.

And with the right hand, you would start at a high
C, and play the Bebop dominant scale down 2 octaves, and then when you switched to the F7, you would start playing the
F Bebop scale, except moving upwards. And then when
you moved to the Bb7, you would move back downwards
again, etc, etc....until you got back to C again.

Then it said to repeat the exercise, but instead of starting
at the root, you would start and end on the 3rd. And then repeat yet again, starting and ending on the 5th.

Does this sound like a good way to get this scale down?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2631536 - 04/09/17 10:49 AM Re: Best Exercise for Mastering the Bebop Dominant Scale? [Re: Musicdude]
jjo Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
It doesn't sound bad, but I tend to like exercies the mimic what you'll find in actual music. While I can think of a few pieces where you have a circle of 5ths movement in dominant chords (Jordu, e.g.), the ii-V is much more common. So in most tunes, you'll be playing the BeBop scale coming off the preceeding ii chord.

The drill I was taught was to practice scales through a series of ii-Vs, each time turning the V7 into the next minor 7 chord. E.G.:

A-, D7, D-, G7, G-7, C7, etc.
This will get you through half the keys. You'll need to start over a half step up.

I've been taught other, more complex ii-V-I drills, but this is the one I return to.

P.S. It'll be real helpful when you get to play How High the Moon!

#2631574 - 04/09/17 01:06 PM Re: Best Exercise for Mastering the Bebop Dominant Scale? [Re: jjo]
36251 Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By jjo
P.S. It'll be real helpful when you get to play How High the Moon!

Transcribing Ornithology or memorizing from Omnibook would also be a good exercise.

#2631832 - 04/10/17 10:34 AM Re: Best Exercise for Mastering the Bebop Dominant Scale? [Re: Musicdude]
JazzPianoOnline Offline

Loc: raleigh, nc
Echoing the sentiments of jjo and 36251, the routine that you outline is a very effective way to learn the bebop dominant scale.

However, if your true goal is to improve your improv you would be better off working on real world transcriptions and learning how to construct a melody line.

I am not a fan of the scales=solos mindset. Scales are only one *part* of a strong melody line. You need to also know how to use chord tones, arpeggios and approach patterns in concert with scale passages to develop a true ability to improvise strong melody lines.

I've got a lesson here (it's free) on my improv concept: http://www.jazzpianoonline.com/jazz-pian...h.w9MHAy3l.dpbs
Step-by-step, easy-to-follow online jazz piano lessons.

#2632621 - 04/13/17 05:29 AM Re: Best Exercise for Mastering the Bebop Dominant Scale? [Re: Musicdude]
Musicdude Offline

Ok, I got a Jazz instructor's opinion, and he said someone totally new to the Bebop scale (like me) should start with the right hand only, or maybe just the root note with the left hand, and using a metronome, start at a slow tempo, at a high root note, and work down and up the scale, two full octaves, using proper fingering.

Go around the circle of fifths, and then increase the tempo a bit, and repeat twice at faster tempos.

Once you are comfortable playing the scales root-to-root, try playing them from 3rd-to-3rds, and then do 5ths, and then 7ths.

I must say, an 8 note scale sure has different fingering than the 7 note scales! TIME TO PRACTICE!

grin

#2634513 - 04/19/17 06:39 PM Re: Best Exercise for Mastering the Bebop Dominant Scale? [Re: Musicdude]
RonDrotos Offline

Loc: New York City
I think it'll be just as effective and a lot more fun if you spent a month or so simply improvising with the bebop scale. Play it in one hand, then with the other, then with both hands an octave or two apart. And at different tempos and feels. After that, use it over chords in all 12 keys.

Along the way, you'll get to know all of the bebop scales inside and out, and you will in fact be improving your technique. After a month, you can practice them as technical exercises but not you'll have a lot of practical experience with them under your belt, so you'll know exactly what you'll need to do from that point on. It will become clearer to you in relation to your own individual musical development.

Good luck!

#2635387 - 04/22/17 01:49 PM Re: Best Exercise for Mastering the Bebop Dominant Scale? [Re: Musicdude]
Cade Offline

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
For the bebop scales, first thing I always do at practice is the bebop dom scale up and down the whole piano length, both hands, from random note to random note, then the bebop major scale (flat 6) up and down, all 12 keys, then the three double-diminished scales, then the chromatic, always both hands and random note to random note. I also think about practicing different kinds of touch, and it's as much about that as the scales themselves.

Then for practicing lines, I have the metronome going and just try to ensure chord tones are on down beats and use the halfstep-below note to pickup to the chordtone note, which often uses a bebop scale if you cross its extra-note zone, but there are other ways you can keep the chord tones on downbeats. Then I do that for 2-5-1-6 loops, on the same loop many times until it's fluid (each day I'm increasing the tempo), then when I want to transition, I minor the 6 and it's the new 2, and it goes around the whole cycle that way.

So just recently I've been adding increasing numbers of techniques so it's not just scaler runs and turns, like arpeggios and stock phrases. Down the road I'm going to start trying scale-combos or scale-arpeggio combos.

Then the third part of my practice is with voicings, just playing a given two hand voicing around the cycle in time with the metronome and speeding it up until I reach a limit. Then I'll do another voicing type. Nothing to do with scales, but I thought I'd add it for completeness. Then the last thing I'll do is improvise on a tune through countless choruses, trying to use some of what I picked up from the practice. So that's my routine. Been doing it almost everyday for a year and 6 months now! Well, it got more organized over that period. It wasn't as efficient early on.

#2635993 - Yesterday at 08:24 PM Re: Best Exercise for Mastering the Bebop Dominant Scale? [Re: Musicdude]
huaidongxi Offline

question from a novice -- what is the working definition of the 'bebop dominant scale' here ? is it the Mixoydian mode, based on lowering the seventh of a major scale by half a step, or something different ? thanks for your patience.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
What's Hot!!
New Forums Location & New Piano World Site
---------------------
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player!
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
A. Geyer Pianos
A. Geyer Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Music Theme Scarves

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How respected is Ludovico Einaudi in the piano community?
by johnjones795
04/25/17 01:03 PM
Would Bach like Classical, Romantic or 20th Century Music?
by dbach
04/25/17 01:02 PM
Is it possible to play Nocturne in C Sharp Minor in 2 years?
by johnjones795
04/25/17 11:57 AM
My right pinky is annoying
by DutchTea
04/25/17 09:58 AM
pedal extender for digital piano
by jiancheng
04/25/17 09:04 AM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
87,503 Registered Members
44 Forums
179,194 Topics
2,619,040 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission