2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments. Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
71 members (BachToTheFuture, anotherscott, brdwyguy, Abdol, accordeur, Beowulf, 16 invisible), 934 guests, and 568 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Chopin Etudes perspective:
#2629412 04/02/17 01:48 PM
A
antony Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I've come to view the primary purpose of the Chopin Etudes as "compositional" in nature, and therefore the resulting component of developing a specific piano technique a byproduct

Re: Chopin Etudes perspective:
antony #2629442 04/02/17 03:19 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Because the Etudes usually focus on one technical problem I can't really agree. Of course, Chopin was trying to compose great music also, but why concentrate only on one technical problem if writing a great composition was the main motive?

I think some of the Liszt or Rachmaninov Etudes could be better classified as "mainly" (or at least significantly) compositional because they are somewhat less focussed on one technical problem.

antony #2629457 04/02/17 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by antony
I've come to view the primary purpose of the Chopin Etudes as "compositional" in nature, and therefore the resulting component of developing a specific piano technique a byproduct

I mostly agree.
Actually I should say I totally agree because I've posted sort of the same thing a couple of times. grin

I agree in that they seem more a thing of showing how such things can be made into great music, than pieces with which to develop technique. Chopin's etudes are often spoken of as pieces with which to improve your technique of ______ (whatever; fill in the blank), and have sometimes been suggested as such on here. I don't see them much that way; I view them more as pieces for seeing and showing what your technique is.

However, since saying that, I've seen how the etudes can sort of improve your technique. smile
But I still see them mostly the other way, and I think that for any given technical aspect that a person might be wishing to work on, there are far better ways than practicing Chopin etudes.

antony #2629466 04/02/17 04:27 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Was not Chopin said to be amused at Czerny's cranking out exercises and etudes, and that Freddie wished to show everybody what an etude realiy should be?

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
Mark_C #2629472 04/02/17 04:42 PM
Online Content
Originally Posted by Mark_C

I mostly agree.
Actually I should say I totally agree because I've posted sort of the same thing a couple of times. grin

I agree in that they seem more a thing of showing how such things can be made into great music, than pieces with which to develop technique. Chopin's etudes are often spoken of as pieces with which to improve your technique of ______ (whatever; fill in the blank), and have sometimes been suggested as such on here. I don't see them much that way; I view them more as pieces for seeing and showing what your technique is.

However, since saying that, I've seen how the etudes can sort of improve your technique. smile
But I still see them mostly the other way, and I think that for any given technical aspect that a person might be wishing to work on, there are far better ways than practicing Chopin etudes.
First, I think the Chopin Etudes are definitely a way to develop technique and have been used by students and teachers extensively like this forever. Almost all students who reach an advanced intermediate or early advanced level are given some Chopin Etudes to improve their technique. That certainly was my experience in high school and college although I could not play the fast ones at a professional tempo.

What could be better than playing great music to work on some technical issue if that issue is something covered in one of the Etudes? Should one really work on some Czerny or even Moszkowski Etude dealing with the same problem when one has the Chopin Etudes available?

IMO it's only if one assumes that one is going to perform one of the Etudes in a high-level situation that your idea of the Etudes as a vehicle to show one's already developed technique makes any sense.

But whether one assumes the Etudes are suitable for learning some technique(me) or more for "what your technique is"(you)...either way that would imply that their "technical" aspect is a significant part of them.

antony #2629475 04/02/17 04:56 PM
A
antony Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I wasn't implying that the improvement of one's technique would not occur through the study of the Etudes, but that Chopin's intention may have been a challenge to himself and others, from a compositional standpoint, to say "let me show you what can be created by limiting oneself to x, y,z Also, a lot of the technical challenges in his Etudes didn't even exist at the time in other compositions when they were written. He actually created the challenges by writing the Etudes themselves.

You could say op 10#1 is an Etudes for arpeggios, but Chopin was saying "let me show you how I'm going to explode our conception of what an arpeggio can be!"

antony #2629478 04/02/17 05:02 PM
Online Content
I wasn't implying that the improvement of one's technique would not occur through the study of the Etudes, but that Chopin's intention may have been a challenge to himself and others, from a compositional standpoint, to say "let me show you what can be created by limiting oneself to x, y,z
Perhaps more like "let me show you what I can create as an Etude to work on x,y,z." OTOH, since etudes certainly existed before Chopin, he may just have decided to write some etudes and, being Chopin, wrote ones that were more musically satisfying than others before him.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/02/17 05:05 PM.
pianoloverus #2629484 04/02/17 05:22 PM
A
antony Offline OP
OP Offline
A
That may be true as well; it's just that a lot of the technique within didn't exist when written. I think the terms used for these pieces at the time were getting blurred. Did a "scherzo " exist as a stand alone piece the way in which Chopin wrote his at the time...

antony #2629581 04/02/17 10:35 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
I think the etudes are a mixed bag, and not all of them are successful musically or technically, and some are not successful either way.

Semipro Tech
antony #2629617 04/03/17 02:46 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
And I'm of the opinion that Chopin wrote his etudes as a way to teach the world the chopinesque way of playing. If you play them the Czerny way (to name a guy) they are unplayable and unbearable to listen to.
They are a way to provide you with the technique to play -his- oeuvre. Not Beethoven's or Mozart's or Schubert's or whoever..
The technical challenges in them are used to make music instead of dry clinical exercises just as his 'normal' compositions should be played. The interpretation of the music is just as important as the technique.

Last edited by chopinoholic; 04/03/17 03:02 AM.

Paul

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
BDB #2629648 04/03/17 07:24 AM
Online Content
Originally Posted by BDB
I think the etudes are a mixed bag, and not all of them are successful musically or technically, and some are not successful either way.
Can you give us some specifics?

pianoloverus #2629685 04/03/17 09:14 AM
Online Content
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by BDB
I can't think of one that isn't successful musically. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Carey #2629723 04/03/17 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Carey
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by BDB
I can't think of one that isn't successful musically. smile

Me neither, and 'not successful technically' seems even more inscrutable.

BTW "inscrutable" is sort of a euphemism. ha

BDB #2629777 04/03/17 12:46 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by BDB

I'm in the same camp as those who find all the Chopin Etudes musically satisfying and technically brilliantly conceived.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
BruceD #2629788 04/03/17 01:20 PM
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by BDB

I'm in the same camp as those who find all the Chopin Etudes musically satisfying and technically brilliantly conceived.

I'm wondering if BDB is pulling our collective leg.

Jason

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 190
by Walkman - 01/15/21 12:02 PM
My 'Gentle' and 'quieter' tuning technique
by Beemer - 01/15/21 10:46 AM
The Yamaha CFX ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/15/21 10:39 AM
Hello, I'm back.
by CarlosCC - 01/15/21 10:30 AM
Kawai rebates (US, 2021)
by luckywood - 01/15/21 10:16 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,259
Posts3,046,894
Members100,061
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission