2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (brennbaer, AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,222 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Inero Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Has anyone any experience, either direct or indirect, with the piano tuition offered by Rod Russell?

http://therussellacademy.com/program.html

I haven't come across any discussion on PianoWorld but it might be I just haven't found it. Russell has been around for a several decades now. His instruction is based on CDs/DVDs accompanying written material. In this respect his is not your typical online course. His focus is on popular music, though the range is not specified on his website.

Just curious
Michael

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Well, he is selling THE DREAM just like tons of others.

He is teaching you to play piano with an emphasis on CHORDS.

It might be ok. You would have to try it to be sure.

Here is a link where you can get it for a one dollar "trail" (there spelling, not mine) subscription.

This link also sells the product for $10 less per month than the link you provided.

So, you see ... it is the standard LEARN TO PLAY FAST type of course.

For a buck you might find it useful.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
I
Inero Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Don, thanks for the comment. For a while I thought I'd achieved the impossible: a post that garnered over a hundred views but no replies. I was under the impression that nothing moved in the piano universe without some forum member somewhere knowing about it. Perhaps Rod Russell toils away in obscurity. He's been at it a long time as I recall seeing a print ad of his in a magazine back in the Jurassic Period.
I think you put your finger on it in saying that he, along with many others, is selling a dream. I'll pass, thank you.
Michael

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Inero
Don, thanks for the comment. For a while I thought I'd achieved the impossible: a post that garnered over a hundred views but no replies. I was under the impression that nothing moved in the piano universe without some forum member somewhere knowing about it. Perhaps Rod Russell toils away in obscurity. He's been at it a long time as I recall seeing a print ad of his in a magazine back in the Jurassic Period.
I think you put your finger on it in saying that he, along with many others, is selling a dream. I'll pass, thank you.
Michael

He is selling "The Dream".

However, just to be fair ....

Just because he is selling a dream does not mean the course he provides is not valuable. He may have very good material and concepts which will help someone become a good pop piano player using his methods.

However, it probably will not be as EASY and FAST as is implied by his commercial. I have utilized course material like what he describes and it is useful and it helps but it is not EASY and it is not FAST.

It all takes time and dedication to reach a point where you can actually play something that someone would enjoy hearing.

It AINT EASY !

Good Luck to you

Last edited by dmd; 04/01/17 09:53 AM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Michael

First of I have no experience with this course. I just had a quick look at the website and (officially) at $39 a month for 16 months ($624) I'd be very wary, well actually I wouldn't have anything to do with it!

The website claims are quite fanciful; a "Musical Innovator" who plays a simplified version of Joplin's The Entertainer to demonstrate what he can teach.... hmm. "You won't be able to learn this anywhere else" - or words to that effect. Maybe not 20 years ago but now, that's just not true.

And his basic premise that adults don't have the time, or are intimidated by one to one lessons is flawed. If you want to learn to play the Piano, you'll make the time, whether you're a self-taught prodigy, or having some form of lessons.

But like DMD I don't want to condemn the man for trying, and I'm sure he's got more talent than me (that's guaranteed) but it all looks a bit formulaic to me.

Cheers

Simon

Casio PX-S3000
Korg SV2S (73)

ABRSM Grade 7 distinction 2023.
Decent blues/rock Pianist.
Try to play Jazz Piano, but pretty rubbish.
Studying ABRSM grade 8 now.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dmd
Well, he is selling THE DREAM just like tons of others.

He is teaching you to play piano with an emphasis on CHORDS.

It might be ok. You would have to try it to be sure.

Here is a link where you can get it for a one dollar "trail" (there spelling, not mine) subscription.

This link also sells the product for $10 less per month than the link you provided.

So, you see ... it is the standard LEARN TO PLAY FAST type of course.

For a buck you might find it useful.

I just noticed ... I did not put the link in there.

Here it is ....

http://www.rodrussellpianosystem.com/join/subscribe-to/1-monthly-membership

Don

C
C

Here are a couple of videos of him playing on YouTube. They should give you an indication of  what to expect. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gpoa24JmTI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i-N_65l3_ac

I am learning to play the piano. My main influences are Gospel, R&B and Jazz piano
Visit http://cmajorninekeyz.info/index.html

S
S
Unfortunately there is not much on the interweb about this particular course.
The teacher is based in Canada and he's an active performer.

I like the styles Rod shows in the intro video, and for 1 buck I'm tempted to sample the course, but typically just the two first lessons do not give much idea of the overall quality of the program and how it progresses.

Total cost would be ~$450.

C
C
Originally Posted by Stopparde
Unfortunately there is not much on the interweb about this particular course.
The teacher is based in Canada and he's an active performer.

I like the styles Rod shows in the intro video, and for 1 buck I'm tempted to sample the course, but typically just the two first lessons do not give much idea of the overall quality of the program and how it progresses.

Total cost would be ~$450.

To be honest, it looks like a good course, I can recognise some of the main techniques used in the demo. For example Stride left hand, right hand harmonisation ect.

If the course is not selling well you could make him an offer say $150 and ask him to send you the whole course at once.

I have done this on many occasions and you'd be surprised how many are willing to see some return when times are tough.

I am learning to play the piano. My main influences are Gospel, R&B and Jazz piano
Visit http://cmajorninekeyz.info/index.html

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission