2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
One of the best things I love about tuning is that usually my first appointment is schedule at 10:30 in the morning!

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
Here's a puzzler. I will be tuning 2 pianos in different parts of the same house today. Last time I tuned them, one was 200 cents flat and I brought it up to pitch. This time I will be bringing that one back down to 200 cents flat, but tuning the other to A-440. There is a reason. Who will be the first to guess correctly. smile

Because you want it to "B" 440? smile

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
L
Loren D Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by rysowers
One of the best things I love about tuning is that usually my first appointment is schedule at 10:30 in the morning!

I like to get up and get going! First appointment usually 9:00 AM.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
My first stop is usually at 10 am, which gives me time to arrive 6 am at the University and tune a couple of pianos before students arrive, then I go home, take a shower, and begin my day.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by daniokeeper
Here's a puzzler. I will be tuning 2 pianos in different parts of the same house today. Last time I tuned them, one was 200 cents flat and I brought it up to pitch. This time I will be bringing that one back down to 200 cents flat, but tuning the other to A-440. There is a reason. Who will be the first to guess correctly. smile

Nope, it's Bb 440. wink

I'll give a couple of hints. The Bb-440 piano was raised to A-440, but now is back to Bb-440. The other piano is used with instruments and is maintained at A-440.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
H
H
Perhaps because the pianos get played at the same times regularly and having them tuned like that they don't cause each player accoustic interference so badly?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Nope, it's Bb 440. wink

I'll give a couple of hints. The Bb-440 piano was raised to A-440, but now is back to Bb-440. The other piano is used with instruments and is maintained at A-440.

Maybe I'm missing something. If you lowered it 200 cents, didn't you lower it one whole-step? Or, maybe I'm missing the joke?

Last edited by daniokeeper; 03/29/17 04:19 AM.

Joe Gumbosky
Piano Tuning & Repair
www.morethanpianos.com
(semi-retired)

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hemloch
Perhaps because the pianos get played at the same times regularly and having them tuned like that they don't cause each player accoustic interference so badly?

No, but that is a cool thought!

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Nope, it's Bb 440. wink

Maybe I'm missing something. If you lowered it 200 cents, didn't you lower it one whole-step? Or, maybe I'm missing the joke?

Ugh, I wasn't firing on all cylinders yesterday...

Yes, it was tuned to B-440, which also means when playing C on the piano, it is Bb concert pitch, turning the piano into a Bb instrument like a trumpet or clarinet. Hence my blunder. But that is not why it was tuned that way.

I'll post the reason given later today if no one has guessed it. It makes perfect sense only from "the other side of the fence." laugh laugh laugh

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
So why lower the pitch of a piano back down 200 cents? So guests could again sing to it easier. smile

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
This explanation makes no sense to me at all.
First, I don't think pianos are made to have that much alteration in tension and stress, particularly when it goes up and down --
But, more important, a competent pianist will be able to _transpose_ the music, playing, say, in F major when the musical work is written in G major. To me, that is an expected skill for anyone who shows up as an accompanist (even soloists sometimes need to sing in a lower key).
I think your customers are fortunate to have you rather than me as their tech, but I do worry about the long-term health of their piano.
Disclaimer: I can transpose. Not a big deal.

Dorrie Bell
retired piano technician
Boston, MA
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Or you need a Heintzman Transposing Piano!

Paul.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Hi, Paul --
Wild guess: a mechanism changes which key pushes which hammer? So the string tension is not affected?

Dorrie Bell
retired piano technician
Boston, MA
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Did you see the Jiffy Key leads at each end of the piano to prevent the keys that are not under a dowel from dropping?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bellspiano
This explanation makes no sense to me at all.
First, I don't think pianos are made to have that much alteration in tension and stress, particularly when it goes up and down --
But, more important, a competent pianist will be able to _transpose_ the music, playing, say, in F major when the musical work is written in G major. To me, that is an expected skill for anyone who shows up as an accompanist (even soloists sometimes need to sing in a lower key).
I think your customers are fortunate to have you rather than me as their tech, but I do worry about the long-term health of their piano.
Disclaimer: I can transpose. Not a big deal.

I have to smile. smile

See, the owner can transpose, playing by ear only, but the guests that play cannot. As far as long term damage to the piano, it's a Hallet Davis spinet with more and more hammer felts needing to be glued and wired to the moldings. I have brought up the pitch on many old pianos as much as 300 cents and usually find that the strings have more elasticity than you would otherwise expect. I don't think it harms the piano.

I will say it was difficult to tune. I guess the lower tension increased the inharmonicity, amplifying any scaling jumps. Also the tone was muddy, not to mention the false beats from the bends at the upper termination now being in the speaking portion. At least I think that is a factor.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
So why lower the pitch of a piano back down 200 cents? So guests could again sing to it easier. smile

Interestingly in Bach's job the organ was tuned a semitone up from A=440 and the instruments (most of them) a semitone down from A=440. So the organist had to transpose, but occasionally Bach wrote it out transposed. The "Bach organ" in Bach's former church in Leipzig which was completed around 2000 (tuned a semitone above a=440) has a lever to transpose down a whole tone.

Tuning down a whole tone from A=440 is the pitch used in 18th century France.

Kees

M
M
My Favorite thing?

The mini-recital I always play at the end of the tuning!

I always play freshly tuned pianos! Haha!

grin

Piano Player
Part-time Professional Piano Tuner/Technician
Piano Voicer In-Training
D
D
My favorite thing is the improvement in sound,the delight the client experiences,and a future appointment is made. Sometimes they ask for a business card.

David Schwoyer
Dave's Piano service
Piano Technician
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission