2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'd have to go with 10/3/II as well... but if there's room for a runner-up then I nominate the Debussy prelude, Des pas sur la neige.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
SiFi Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Carey
But if we're talking abut downright depressing.....

https://youtu.be/Hgw_RD_1_5I

I have never found this moving, for some reason. And I don't think it's that sad. Actually, knowing what I know about Chopin, I think it's possibly a kind of parody, except for the middle section. The irony to me is confirmed by what I see as the deliberately gauche ending. JMI.

Changing the subject a bit, but sticking to the Chopin Sonata, do you all listen to music waiting for your favorite bits? Maybe you even fast-forward past the boring stuff? Or just hit the stop button when the good stuff has finished? For me, the Chopin Bb minor sonata is over after the end of the second movement, though I will sometimes listen to the last movement on headphones when I need to clear my mind. Anyway, just asking.

One other thing, do other people replay their favorite bits ad infinitum? Technology makes this easy, of course, but it's something I do and I feel sad about my motives but happy with the results. An example from classical music would be the passage in the slow movement of Rachmaninov's second symphony starting at around 4:00 and continuing through the lovely recap of the theme in the strings is something I could loop through for hours. Likewise the section towards the end of the last movement of the Dvořák's cello concerto - everyone who knows it will understand what I'm talking about.

One more thing. How do we distinguish real sad stuff from Kitsch? What should one think of this, for instance?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O4-RCjwal0

I happen to love it and think it's really sad, but exploitative. I think Beethoven Op. 10 No. 3 mov. II is still leading the pack.

SRF
SiFi Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
BTW, the sad quality of that Schubert movement is somewhat blunted for me by what I once heard at a recital. The pianist kept 'missing' the third left-hand note of the groups -- not playing wrong notes, but failing to make the note sound. It seemed like it was happening about half the time. Evidently he was trying to have each measure sort of fade away, and it wasn't working on that piano, and he didn't adjust. Since then, it's impossible for me to hear the piece without thinking of that performance, so I'm half tearful over the piece and half laughing over the missed notes.

Meta-sadness. And a genuinely sad story.

SRF
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SiFi
Meta-sadness. And a genuinely sad story.

But I'm going to make it funnier. Or maybe just smirkier.

I sort of knew the pianist's parents, peripherally, and they were fellow attendees at a festival/celebration a few years ago. Y'know, we like to be positive and kind, especially to elder folk (which some of us have already become) ha .....and so I took the opportunity to be extra positive and kind with them. I told them that I still remembered a couple of the pieces that their son had played, all those years ago, and that the performances were still ringing in my ears. They were so happy.

By the way, the reason I remember the other piece (Bach-Busoni Toccata, Adagio, & Fugue) is that he was unhappy with his first note of the fugue, stopped and shook his head, and started it again. There is more than one way for a performance to be unforgettable. grin

BTW the pianist wasn't just some kid. He's a guy with a real career. Anything can happen to anybody. And really, despite the things I mentioned, it really was a very good recital.

SiFi Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Another piece, in the same key, is the slow movement of Mozart's A major Concerto (K. 488).

Definitely. I performed this concerto once, with the late and truly great Philip Ledger directing. In the slow movement, when it got to the decorated reprise of the big second theme, perhaps the apex of sadness in an otherwise sad as heck piece in F# mnor - I'm sure we all know which bit I'm talking about - I was so conscious of it being one of the most poignant moments in all of Mozart that I for some reason lost my bearings and performed it like a Czerny exercise. One of the biggest lost opportunities of my creative life! Oh how I would love to have those thirty seconds back again.

SRF
X
X
If we are going non piano then perhaps the devil's trill sonata? there is a lot of despair.

Back to piano, Alkan's L'Enfer from his Grand Duo Concertant in F sharp minor. it is both beautiful but also incredibly depressing, as it really captures the whole idea of being doomed to heck forever. (not like I have experience with that)

I now have a signature.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
Originally Posted by Carey
Schumann - The Happy Farmer
https://youtu.be/It8rvzdhPrw

As played by students who haven't practiced since the last lesson. ha

Oh, I forgot, anything sung by Ralph Stanley is a bit of a downer.

[video:youtube]2xmRWj7gJEU[/video]

If Ralph Stanley is on this list we have to add The Man In Black.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Any piece by Einaudi, since it causes anyone who hears it to instantly commit suicide.

Regards,

Polyphonist
SiFi Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
Rondo in A Minor?

If you mean Mozart K.511, yes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP665A8iA8g

Last edited by SiFi; 03/25/17 08:05 PM.

SRF
Originally Posted by BDB
Rondo in A Minor?

If you mean Mozart K.511, yes!

Well, it also could have been this piece! grin

BTW, most performances by professionals seem to forget that it's marked "Lento"! (Usually you need the player to be an amateur in order for the tempo to be reasonable.) ha

One time I played the Mozart and the person I was playing for thought it was a Chopin waltz.
That made me realize the piece needed some more work....

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Beethoven piano sonata op. 110 3rd movement first half and then followed by pure ecstasy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0VsTnuipEE

Do or do not. There is no try.
C
C

SiFi Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Is the grin because you're just being silly and trying to pretend that BDB didn't say Rondo? Or is it something else? I think we should be told!

SRF

Is the grin because you're just being silly and trying to pretend that BDB didn't say Rondo? Or is it something else? I think we should be told!

Two things:
Mainly, that in fact the waltz could be seen as a rondo. (!)

But also, meaninglessly except to me grin ....when that thing happened where the person thought the Mozart Rondo was a Chopin waltz, of course (of course???) I thought of this A minor Chopin waltz, and the pieces became forevermore linked in my mind.

It's not just that the two pieces are in A minor and that the Mozart is also in a triple time. For example, I never would have linked the Mozart with the Chopin posthumous A minor waltz. I think there is indeed somewhat of a spiritual similarity between the Mozart and the Op. 34 A minor. Although not when the Chopin is played allegretto grin as it often is.

SiFi Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ralph
Beethoven piano sonata op. 110 3rd movement first half and then followed by pure ecstasy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0VsTnuipEE

Yes, and what a performance! Gould's fingers are (sorry were cry ) things of beauty. What a musician! Genius!

SRF
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

there is no sadder piece than that liszt is such a genius in his late works

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

One more thing. How do we distinguish real sad stuff from Kitsch?

No worries - it's all kitsch. Otherwise, this thread wouldn't be possible.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Tchaikovsky: 6th symphony, 4th movement.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
SiFi Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
Tchaikovsky: 6th symphony, 4th movement.

And the end of the development section of the first movement. However, I think we're drifting a bit from sad to tragic now. Admittedly a fine distinction, but a distinction nevertheless.

SRF
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson
Hi, SiFi! A few that come to mind:

Brahms Intermezzo, Op 119 - 1
Ravel Pavane for a Dead Princess
Brahms Intermezzo, Op 116 - 4
Schumann In der Nacht
Mompou Cancion, from Cancion y Danza #12
Rachmaninoff Mvt #2, Piano Sonata #2
Scriabin Mvt #3, Piano Sonata #3
Rachmaninoff Vocalise*

*OK, not a piano song - but there have been several transcriptions for solo piano.

Curiously, I don't place anything of Schubert in "saddest of all" category, even though he's often spoken of as coming from an especially sad place. For me, Brahms and Rachmaninoff were the absolute masters at conveying "sad" especially well.

Agreed, Rach Sonata 2 mvt. 2 immediately came to mind. For me, listening to it is almost like listening to a friend tell you about something bad happening in their life and trying to comfort them.

Last edited by trigalg693; 03/27/17 01:20 AM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission