2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 9 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2625550 03/20/17 11:12 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
On the train, this morning on my way to work, I was quietly and internally, reveling over my most recent piano breakthrough. As I quietly relived this recent micro-triumph, my mind was soon filled with a stream of memories of pieces of advice I have picked up here, and the resulting upticks in the quality of my play over the two years I have been a member of this forum.

It occurred to me that without the influence of this forum, I would be struggling much more than I do, and would still be mired in the very beginner stages of piano playing, perhaps as developmentally delayed as I was after only a few months of playing. And, I would be riddled with doubts about whether I could ever decipher, much less, play the piano. I might not even be playing piano anymore.

But, I don't have to worry about those travails, because, I am a member of this forum. And what is this forum, but a collective of very caring, devoted, and enthusiastic, mentors, teachers, and colleagues, friends, and extremely decent human beings. This forum is nothing without the individual contributions that make up its content. And, I am the beneficiary.

I know life is very busy, difficult, and consuming for most of us. So, when someone takes the time, their very own precious, personal time, to read a struggling colleague's questions, to carefully and thoughtfully consider the issue raised, and then to spend even more time composing their thoughts and crafting an articulate, pointed, and concise response, well, I say something wonderful has just happened. No gift can match the gift that comes from one's own personal effort, and this forum is filled with just such gifts. And, I just couldn't resist the urge to publicly acknowledge as many of those who are so generous with their time, energy, and talents as I could.

When I first thought of this, I was struck with terror over the possibility of slighting someone, someone who contributes mightily, but who simply escapes my attention as I compose this. It is a consideration that weighs on me, as, I would love express my gratitude to ALL who have been so helpful to me over these two years.

But, in the end, it is important to me to just do what is right, and thank all that I can. The risk of omission, and the personal embarrassment I might suffer as a result, is just not sufficient cause to let all the benefit I have received go unacknowledged. To anyone I do not mention, and there will be some, I am sorry for my inability or failure to be comprehensive enough. I am already embarrassed as I type.

For their seemingly unending care and concern for their fellow members, evidenced by their faithful and steady willingness to do the hard work of listening, considering, and very effectively addressing the concerns and questions of us newcomers and struggling beginners, I would especially like to thank Keystring, Rocket88, Morodiene, zrtf90, Stubbie, dogperson, 8 Octaves, Whizbang, earlofmar (and so many others). Each of you goes far beyond mere kindness in your efforts to respond to the questions, comments, and discussions posted here.

And, I am sure that I speak for many, when I say that you have contributed in many, many immeasurable ways to our development as pianists. How many more, besides myself, might no longer be playing without the contributions you have made, and continue to make, to our budding development. Your selflessness is simply wonderful. I truly, truly hope that someday I can be as helpful to those who follow as you have been to me.

There is also much work that goes on behind the scenes here at ABF. The most obvious to me is the ABF recitals. I don't know all of the names of all the members who contribute the great effort and energy that goes into what, for me, is one of the high points of my life. I love these recitals, and, they are an important motivational event for me. I practice hard, and some of that comes from wanting to play a nice piece for these beautiful recitals. The only persons I know of, for sure, who do the hard work of creating these recitals are Sam S and Monica K. I just don't have a way to thank you enough for what you do for us. And, I am quite certain that you don't need the thanks, that this kind of giving is just part of who you are. But, thank you, anyway, for all that you do, you are very special.

Now, I'm going to shut up, wrestle with the aforementioned embarrassment, and continue to enjoy my journey with all my very special ABF friends. I'm a lucky, lucky guy!

smile

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
Ralphiano #2625569 03/21/17 02:42 AM
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Group hug from me, too! Self-teaching can be a lonely way to go - and for several years being part of Piano World in general, and the ABF in particular, has been a very important part of my ongoing piano journey. As you pointed out, the ABF Recitals are simply invaluable for motivating and focusing - and I, too, will be forever grateful. Thank you all! 2hearts

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
Ralphiano #2625584 03/21/17 05:21 AM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
+1000

[Linked Image]
Ralphiano #2625587 03/21/17 05:37 AM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I got a mention in dispatches, how wonderful cool

actually I never give any advice, I just tell everyone of the mistakes I have made and beg them not to follow smirk

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Ralphiano #2625589 03/21/17 05:45 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
There are so many people here that I think of as my friends, even though I have never met them, never will meet them, and wouldn't know their faces if I saw them - but I would probably recognize their music if I heard them playing.

Keep it going!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Ralphiano #2625615 03/21/17 09:30 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes! I totally agree. The people here are so wonderful.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I completely agree! I have learned so much from others on this site, and hearing about everyone else's journey creates a wonderful camaraderie.

Ralphiano #2625683 03/21/17 12:58 PM
+1 for all of you lovely people!

[Linked Image]
Ralphiano #2625705 03/21/17 02:41 PM

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
{{{}}}} right back at ya!! heart

This is, imo, the best internet forum out there, and the only one I have stuck with for over a decade. Without this forum, I would never have been introduced to the music of Einaudi or David Nevue-- inconceivable!!!

This forum has enriched not just my piano playing--I doubt I would've persisted without the help and support of the people who post here--but my entire life. I have a lot of gratitude. Thanks to Frank Baxter for creating a space for all of us to enjoy. 3hearts

Ralphiano #2625763 03/21/17 05:45 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Hugs.
Love hugs.
Couldn't agree more, however frequent or infrequent, and especially for those who volunteer re recitals, MOYD, 40 pieces, etc, owners of this forum...the struggles are real, as are the triumphs, and giggles. Best 'community' forum, keeping it real 🤓
Ooh shout out to digital piano forum too, who helped me in my recent DP upgrade purchase decision.

Last edited by Pianoperformance; 03/21/17 05:47 PM.
Ralphiano #2625775 03/21/17 06:46 PM

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Beautifully said Ralphiano.
I couldn't agree more and I join you in thanking those who are always there with a kind word of support, encouragement or direction.

This is one of the nicest group of people you could hope to meet on line - or in person. I feel so fortunate to have made friends here, and to have had the chance to meet a number of members in person.

My piano journey would be significantly less joyful without the wonderful people here who take the time to share the ups and downs of their own journeys, to commiserate with problems and rejoice in successes.

It's good to take a moment and reflect on just how wonderful our community is.

Thanks for starting this thread!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Ralphiano #2625776 03/21/17 06:50 PM
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ralphiano
......No gift can match the gift that comes from one's own personal effort, and this forum is filled with just such gifts.....
For me, this forum has been the best of gifts. Nice ribbon on the outside, then open it up and all kinds of cool stuff is inside.

Participating in these forums is one way to give back and keep PW vibrant and strong for those that follow. It's a small price to pay for all the advice, encouragement, different points of view, and pure entertainment these forums offer. Thank you, all of you!

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Ralphiano #2625858 03/22/17 06:58 AM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Please let me add my agreement that this forum is a source of motivation, support, and learning. Opening this page each morning is a gift...a glittering Christmas gift under my tree that I anticipate and enjoy. The world at large, at least my world, is not interested in hearing about the piano journey. They seem to assume that if you play as an adult, you must be very good. LOL. Only here do we share our frustrations, accomplishments, and hopes. I, too, feel like I know many of you and want to join in the group hug.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
Ralphiano #2625869 03/22/17 08:35 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
also +1000

And a sincerely warm hug back. I don't post a lot lately but I am incredibly grateful for my piano family from all around the world.

Cheers, and I hope to meet more of you in Bulgaria this year!

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
Ralphiano #2625898 03/22/17 10:26 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This forum has been invaluable to me and my continued development as a pianist. There are so many to thank; so many with the patience to guide new members; so many with kind words of encouragement; so many with stories, anecdotes, and links that provide insight that helps us move forward. I am very fortunate to have found this musical room of the internet.

Thank you all!

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
Ralphiano #2625903 03/22/17 10:37 AM
P
P
Another +1000

Thank you!

Slowly, Separately, Sections - Graham Fitch
My SoundCloud
Ralphiano #2626651 03/24/17 09:50 PM
M
M
And from me too! Thank you all for the suggestions and good humor. The details are important - as Ralphiano said, the care and commitment from everyone who takes the time to post their advice or observations is so valuable to all of us. And it does inspire me, both on good days and bad, to know that there are so many kindred spirits out there.

Mason & Hamlin A ('97)
Ralphiano #2627100 03/26/17 11:17 AM
M
M
What a wonderful commentary about a great site!! I don't believe that there are many here who could have stated what you did as well as you. I am only a few months into my piano journey and come to Piano World for inspiration. It is my favorite.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission