Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Ad
Schumann's 4th Finger
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved
Who's Online
129 registered (alexcawley, 36251, ajames, AdrianR, Almaviva, alwatson, 28 invisible), 1446 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2625520 - 03/20/17 08:20 PM What are some of your favorite things about tuning?
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Obviously we all love to tune. There are some parts of the process that just jump out at me. I love setting a temperament and listening to it fall into place. Now and then, a temperament just works on the first try without having to go back and tweak a note here or there to smooth it out. I love when that happens.

Another thing I love is tuning bass octaves (on well-scaled pianos, that is!). I love the sound of the partials we tune to.

Those are some of the things I find particularly rewarding when tuning. I'm sure I"ll think of others. Anyone else?

(ad 800)
PTG 2017 Convention
PTG Convention 2017 St Louis
#2625548 - 03/20/17 10:57 PM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: Loren D]
Chris Leslie Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
I like that time, after the job is done, when sitting in the car in the driveway and hearing the piano being played.

#2625549 - 03/20/17 11:01 PM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: Loren D]
P W Grey Online   content

Loc: New Hampshire
I would say that one of my favorite things is walking in to a piano that is absolutely HORRIBLE sounding, totally unusable, essentially dead musically, and two hours or so later it is like a musical resurrection. Everyone is smiling, happy, can't believe the difference, didn't think it was possible, yet here it is. That feels good every time.

The fact that it brings happiness back to their ears and faces is really the part I like!

Pwg
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
(Best way to contact me privately)

#2625551 - 03/20/17 11:14 PM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: Loren D]
Gene Nelson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Old Hangtown California
On the mechanical end of tuning I like a well designed piano with properly drilled pin block, carefully notched and pinned bridges, minimal friction at aliquots, well designed scale. All the things that facilitate less struggling with setting the pin, stability, false beats, etc. mostly found in quality restorations.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2625585 - 03/21/17 05:24 AM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: Loren D]
UnrightTooner Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
I like it when a couple of young siblings are maneuvering to be the first to play the freshly tuned piano as I am doing the final checks.

Or when the hound of the house cant help but let you know what the pitch of a certain note really is supposed to be: Ooooowwwooowwwoo!

And the relief in a Music Director's voice over the phone when you tell them, yes, you can get the piano tuned in time for next week's concert and the sticking key shouldn't be a problem.

#2625609 - 03/21/17 08:41 AM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: Loren D]
RonTuner Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicagoland
For me, it has turned out to be the long-term 'snapshot' relationships as families get a piano for a young student and I follow that piano through the years. Many of those adults are now deciding to take lessons with the kids gone!

The trust clients show.

I suppose if I just stick to "tuning"... it would be the first big leap from way out of tune- unplayable - to sounding decent - and having the client notice!

Ron Koval

my piano videos:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=drwoodwind

#2625624 - 03/21/17 09:50 AM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: Loren D]
terminaldegree Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
Five things for now:

1. Returning to a piano I tuned sometime ago (weeks/months) and still thinking, "Hey, that's still a good sounding/usable tuning!"

2. The feeling of satisfaction when all the "checks" work out well at the end of a tuning, concluding with a good sounding test piece or two.

3. Hearing a positive progression in my tuning over time through recordings: The difference between a year ago vs just 6 months later is pretty noticeable.

4. Making clients happy.

5. Having another income generating skill related to the music field.

#2625648 - 03/21/17 10:58 AM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: Chris Leslie]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Chris Leslie
I like that time, after the job is done, when sitting in the car in the driveway and hearing the piano being played.

Yep, very rewarding!

#2625695 - 03/21/17 01:31 PM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: Loren D]
Gadzar Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mexico City
The most I like is been able to play in tune pianos.

My experience tells me that almost all pianists play out of tune pianos most of the time and they seldom play an in tune piano, only on specials venues as recitals... and once per year (the day the tuner comes to tune their piano).

Me, I never play out of tune pianos!

I buy used pianos to repair and sell and the first thing I do when a piano arrives at home is tune it and play some music to have an idea of what it needs to become a good piano for sale.

I can not sell a piano until it satisfies me in the first place. If there is something wrong I fix it, included tuning. Yes, I know the piano is going to go out of tune 3 weeks after it leaves my shop, but I just can not deliver it out of tune.

Edited by Gadzar (03/21/17 01:32 PM)

Serving Mexico City and suburbs.

http://www.afinacionpianos.com.mx

#2625712 - 03/21/17 03:05 PM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: Loren D]
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
My favorite thing about tuning is watching someone encounter a well-tempered piano for the first time. My second favorite thing is fireworks.
Regards,

#2625713 - 03/21/17 03:07 PM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: Loren D]
SonatainfSharp Offline

Loc: Minneapolis
As a non tech, what I love about tuning, if I am around when my tuner is there, is when a unison sounds in tune to me, but then when it is REALLY in tune, that moment when the note moves from an almost non-detectable waver into a pure, unwavering sound is just awe-inspiring and satisfying, and I feel my muscles relax with it.

(Similar when I am tuning a guitar in unisons for some keys, but not nearly as dramatic).

#2625726 - 03/21/17 03:56 PM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: Loren D]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Lots of great comments here! Looks like we all appreciate a lot of the same things.

#2625778 - 03/21/17 07:02 PM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: Loren D]
Mark Cerisano Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I love it when I don't have to refine the temperament. I also love when the large intervals hum when the stretch is just right.

Edited by Mark Cerisano, RPT (03/21/17 07:03 PM)

#2626184 - 03/23/17 09:38 AM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: Loren D]
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Being my own boss - doing what I love to do - every day is different, every piano is different - never boring.

#2626197 - 03/23/17 10:40 AM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: Loren D]
UnrightTooner Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Or yesterday. A piano that a retiree owner got brand new when 4 years old. Hasn't played it for years because it wouldn't stay in tune. Gave the pinblock a CA treatment that worked wonderfully. I don't even need to be around to know that things in the house are now a bit different. This isn't like fixing a hot water heater...

#2626383 - 03/23/17 10:44 PM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: Loren D]
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I love to get a piano into as perfect tune as possible AND the client pays me enough for the work too!!!

#2626449 - 03/24/17 09:02 AM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: Loren D]
music kitchen Offline

I love it, when having finished tuning, the client asks for my card for recomendation... all 'cos we both know and glad the piano is back in tune and alive!

Edited by music kitchen (03/24/17 09:04 AM)

#2626486 - 03/24/17 12:26 PM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: Loren D]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

This week I've had quite a few 75-cent flat spinets from the 70's. Pitch correction and tuning, some voicing, minor regulation (lost motion, etc) and the customers say things like "I had no idea that piano could sound like that."

#2626504 - 03/24/17 01:41 PM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: Loren D]
UnrightTooner Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Here's a puzzler. I will be tuning 2 pianos in different parts of the same house today. Last time I tuned them, one was 200 cents flat and I brought it up to pitch. This time I will be bringing that one back down to 200 cents flat, but tuning the other to A-440. There is a reason. Who will be the first to guess correctly. smile

#2626563 - 03/24/17 05:18 PM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: UnrightTooner]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By UnrightTooner
Here's a puzzler. I will be tuning 2 pianos in different parts of the same house today. Last time I tuned them, one was 200 cents flat and I brought it up to pitch. This time I will be bringing that one back down to 200 cents flat, but tuning the other to A-440. There is a reason. Who will be the first to guess correctly. smile

I'm sure you have a good one, but I can't for the life of me come up with any reason to lower the pitch of a piano 200 cents!

#2626672 - 03/25/17 12:30 AM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: Loren D]
rysowers Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
One of the best things I love about tuning is that usually my first appointment is schedule at 10:30 in the morning!
www.pianova.net

#2626695 - 03/25/17 02:45 AM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: UnrightTooner]
daniokeeper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Because you want it to "B" 440? smile
(semi-retired)

#2626770 - 03/25/17 10:16 AM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: rysowers]
Loren D Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By rysowers
One of the best things I love about tuning is that usually my first appointment is schedule at 10:30 in the morning!

I like to get up and get going! First appointment usually 9:00 AM.

#2627532 - 03/27/17 08:36 PM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: Loren D]
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
My first stop is usually at 10 am, which gives me time to arrive 6 am at the University and tune a couple of pianos before students arrive, then I go home, take a shower, and begin my day.

#2627663 - 03/28/17 10:11 AM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: daniokeeper]
UnrightTooner Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By daniokeeper

Nope, it's Bb 440. wink

I'll give a couple of hints. The Bb-440 piano was raised to A-440, but now is back to Bb-440. The other piano is used with instruments and is maintained at A-440.

#2627915 - 03/29/17 01:55 AM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: Loren D]
Hemloch Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Perhaps because the pianos get played at the same times regularly and having them tuned like that they don't cause each player accoustic interference so badly?

#2627932 - 03/29/17 04:19 AM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: UnrightTooner]
daniokeeper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Nope, it's Bb 440. wink

I'll give a couple of hints. The Bb-440 piano was raised to A-440, but now is back to Bb-440. The other piano is used with instruments and is maintained at A-440.

Maybe I'm missing something. If you lowered it 200 cents, didn't you lower it one whole-step? Or, maybe I'm missing the joke?

Edited by daniokeeper (03/29/17 04:19 AM)
(semi-retired)

#2627953 - 03/29/17 07:25 AM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: Hemloch]
UnrightTooner Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Hemloch
Perhaps because the pianos get played at the same times regularly and having them tuned like that they don't cause each player accoustic interference so badly?

No, but that is a cool thought!

#2627955 - 03/29/17 07:30 AM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: daniokeeper]
UnrightTooner Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Nope, it's Bb 440. wink

Maybe I'm missing something. If you lowered it 200 cents, didn't you lower it one whole-step? Or, maybe I'm missing the joke?

Ugh, I wasn't firing on all cylinders yesterday...

Yes, it was tuned to B-440, which also means when playing C on the piano, it is Bb concert pitch, turning the piano into a Bb instrument like a trumpet or clarinet. Hence my blunder. But that is not why it was tuned that way.

I'll post the reason given later today if no one has guessed it. It makes perfect sense only from "the other side of the fence." laugh laugh laugh

#2628047 - 03/29/17 01:58 PM Re: What are some of your favorite things about tuning? [Re: Loren D]
UnrightTooner Offline
5000 Post Club Member

So why lower the pitch of a piano back down 200 cents? So guests could again sing to it easier. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
What's Hot!!
New Forums Location & New Piano World Site
---------------------
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player!
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
A. Geyer Pianos
A. Geyer Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Music Theme Scarves

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sampletekk Black 70% off
by TheodorN
04/28/17 06:03 PM
MIT Piano Drop
by WhoDwaldi
04/28/17 05:35 PM
Possible to disable internal sounds on Yamaha P60 keyboard?
by Fscotte
04/28/17 03:58 PM
In the middle of choosing a piano concerto
by chrisyip789
04/28/17 02:57 PM
In Search Of The World's Greatest Pianos!
by Rich D.
04/28/17 02:54 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
87,549 Registered Members
44 Forums
179,270 Topics
2,620,245 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission