2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2625317 03/20/17 04:50 AM
johan d Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
When you buy a new nice clean score, do you take copies of it, and let your teacher make remarks on that paper to spare your new book, or in your new book to have it "personalized" :-) ? Probably a personal thing, but...

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
How will you open it 10 or 20 years from now and find forgotten advice? I'm forever - 'I studied this? Sheesh.'

Laissez tomber les mains
johan d Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Minor problem: Probably my sons will have to play the same pieces within a few years when he continues.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
If you have a teacher whose advice you treasure - well, there you go, I just said it!

Laissez tomber les mains
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I work from the book and like having my teacher's comments and instructions (whether written by me or her) there for future reference. I like the 'historical document' aspect of it.

For your situation with your sons likely learning from the same book, I'd say it depends: if the book is of early pieces that you likely won't go back to as you progress, then you could save yourself some money by photocopying the pieces and working from those such that your sons would have a fresh score to start with. On the other hand, if you think you might be returning to these pieces from time to time, then use the book--make it your own--and spring for the cost of a new book for your sons, when the time comes.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I don't like following the scores my sister learnt from with the fingerings pencilled in or the pieces that my teacher scrawled over in pen.

It's important to keep the notes your teacher makes. Really, it is. But whenever I revisit a piece I ALWAYS begin with a fresh score - even if I have to write it into Finale and manually adjust for changing clefs - and refer to all the other versions of a piece that I might have for fingering, whether other editor's or my own. Some pieces, particularly Bach, where the fingering is crucial, I have over a half a dozen copies of from different publishers and editors, most of which I revisit periodically.

If your score is a bound edition including other pieces (and may be used by others), I'd consider a cheaper edition just for lessons.

Richard
johan d Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zrtf90
It's important to keep the notes your teacher makes. Really, it is. But whenever I revisit a piece I ALWAYS begin with a fresh score - even if I have to write it into Finale and manually...

Think I will make copies for lessons and save them in the back of the book

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I prefer to use a copy for learning, and I can be as liberal as I like with my pencil, highlighter, etc.

I wouldn't have an issue annotating an original book, but when I'm making the notes I don't know which are the "keepers" that I want for the long term, and which are just passing reminders which will be just clutter in the longer term.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by johan d
Minor problem: Probably my sons will have to play the same pieces within a few years when he continues.

I got a good hoot out of my dad's notes scrawled in the margins of Paradise Lost.. It must have seemed quite saucey in a more innocent age.

"Motivation is simple, you eliminate anyone who isn't motivated." - Lou Holtz.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Initially I want to keep them all nice and pristine, but once something come up that is important that all goes by the wayside. All markings are in pencil of course, but these books will have to be presented at an exam without comments. So as I get better at the piece I erase comments (usually just my own) and all but fingering is removed. I also have erasable highlighters which are a wonderful invention.

I have tried keeping copies but I find that becomes a bit of an admin problem, although on reflection need not be.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar
Initially I want to keep them all nice and pristine, but once something come up that is important that all goes by the wayside. All markings are in pencil of course, but these books will have to be presented at an exam without comments. So as I get better at the piece I erase comments (usually just my own) and all but fingering is removed. I also have erasable highlighters which are a wonderful invention.

I have tried keeping copies but I find that becomes a bit of an admin problem, although on reflection need not be.
Do you have to play from the book at the exam or can you play from a photocopy (made before markings or comments were added) of the relevant pages in the book?

I have a tendency towards the urge to "save" something precious or scarce for when I really might need it. I've been trying to change that mindset because when I really might need it rarely happens, in my experience. So now I don't hesitate to mark up my books, even to wear them out. Did I wince just a tiny bit writing (in pencil, of course) in my Henle edition of Mozart sonatas? Just a quick 'ouch' and then I didn't look back. smile

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Stubbie
[/quote]Do you have to play from the book at the exam or can you play from a photocopy (made before markings or comments were added) of the relevant pages in the book?

you can use a photocopy providing you can prove you own the book.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The more markings in any book the better for me! I have notes and marks in my Beethoven urtext editions for pieces I haven't even played myself, but if I come across something regarding the piece, I will head to the score and take notes right there!

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission