Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Who's Online Now
86 registered members (Almaviva, 36251, ando, AlanB, accordeur, 24 invisible), 1,839 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2625335 - 03/20/17 07:18 AM please comment on my piano practice  
iamanders Offline
iamanders  Offline

Hi!
Please comment on my piano practice: https://soundcloud.com/henrik-hagnell/sets/practicing-piano-arabesqueby-burgmuller
I recorded this with my digital piano (so you won't hear the metronome)

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2625338 - 03/20/17 07:38 AM Re: please comment on my piano practice [Re: iamanders]  
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Pennsylvania
Well, it sounds like you can play it.

Now you need to play it every day in an effort to really gain full control over it.

Then you can make it sound like music.

Good Luck

Don

Current: ES8, ProFX8 Mixer, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD598 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, JBL LSR305 Powered Monitors, Pianoteq 5,TruePiano,Ravenscroft275,TrueKeys American,Galaxy Vintage D,Ivory II,Alicia's Keys,CFX Concert Grand, The Grandeur
#2625344 - 03/20/17 08:46 AM Re: please comment on my piano practice [Re: iamanders]  
pianofan1017 Offline
pianofan1017  Offline

Practice like this to get fluently, then you can try speed it up. I believe this piece is to be played at a faster tempo. Also more dynamic contrast would be great.

In Progress:
1.Debussy Arabasque1
2. Czerny 740 no 3
3. Mozart Sonata K330 1st Movement
4. Bach Prelude and Fugue in C Major
#2625349 - 03/20/17 09:10 AM Re: please comment on my piano practice [Re: iamanders]  
Qazsedcft Online content
500 Post Club Member
Qazsedcft  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

Toronto, Canada
That's not bad. A few comments if I may...

Articulation and dynamics are important to give this piece the right energy. Don't linger on the last note of each slur. It should be an abrupt staccato. You should also observe the markings in the score. I don't know which version you have but in mine it says piano leggiero, then crescendo, then there's a sforzando, then at the end of the middle part there is a diminuendo e poco rallentando. You should take note of these markings and work on expressing the music instead of just playing it. It will sound a lot more energetic even at a slow tempo.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2625356 - 03/20/17 09:42 AM Re: please comment on my piano practice [Re: Qazsedcft]  
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
500 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Orange County, California
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
That's not bad. A few comments if I may...

Articulation and dynamics are important to give this piece the right energy. Don't linger on the last note of each slur. It should be an abrupt staccato. You should also observe the markings in the score. I don't know which version you have but in mine it says piano leggiero, then crescendo, then there's a sforzando, then at the end of the middle part there is a diminuendo e poco rallentando. You should take note of these markings and work on expressing the music instead of just playing it. It will sound a lot more energetic even at a slow tempo.

My score shows the same - you sound like my teacher smile She is very particular about the details. Also make note of the separation between slurs (lift right hand) in the middle part. I'm still trying to get it all right ..

#2625366 - 03/20/17 09:53 AM Re: please comment on my piano practice [Re: iamanders]  
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Boynton Beach, FL
I have a question: is this you practicing, or just a recording showing how you can play it? If it is in fact how you are practicing, then I think you would benefit from taking smaller chunks and practicing them in a manner that is creative but also addresses the individual problems in that passage.

For example, the beginning part suffers a bit from uneven 16ths, and the LH can sometimes be uneven as a result. Compare the introduction of the LH chords only with the LH chords as soon as the RH enters and you will hear that your LH is adjusting for the unevenness of the RH (the first 2 samples it's quite obvious, it's a bit better in the 3rd). Since it's the RH that is the problem, I would address that by practicing RH alone in rhythms: playing them in a long-short pattern (think swinging 16ths), and then when that is easy, switch to a short-long pattern. When easy, then practice with bursts and pauses after each set of (4) 16ths. You play the first 4 notes as fast as you can, then pause and then play the next set of 4 notes as fast as you can, pause, etc.

This method can also help you with the LH melody in the B section.

The articulations also need to be addressed, as mentioned above. Without seeing you play, I'm going to assume that part of this problem is a technical one that would be easier to describe in a lesson. Do you have a teacher? If not, I highly recommend one even if you can only afford a lesson once in a while.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#2625367 - 03/20/17 09:55 AM Re: please comment on my piano practice [Re: iamanders]  
Richrf Offline
500 Post Club Member
Richrf  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by iamanders
Hi!
Please comment on my piano practice: https://soundcloud.com/henrik-hagnell/sets/practicing-piano-arabesqueby-burgmuller
I recorded this with my digital piano (so you won't hear the metronome)

Beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing. Looking forward to hearing more of your music in the future!

#2625368 - 03/20/17 09:55 AM Re: please comment on my piano practice [Re: iamanders]  
zrtf90 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
zrtf90  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Ireland (ex England)
I suspect that playing every day might result in the playing becoming everyday.

A better option, I believe, might be to leave it for a little while and come back to it knowing that the mechanical requirements are in place and that the music needs to be found.

Get rid of the metronome first. You have the rhythmic requirements met, which is all it need be used for. It shouldn't be used across phrases or sections because it can't compensate for the breaths between them.

As mentioned above you need to find the dynamic markings and make the articulation clearer. Then find the climaxes. Music doesn't just move along, it goes somewhere then comes back.

Were I to play the first four measures on their own I would feel the accents on the second rather than the first beat of each bar from the RH figures. This would be supported by the rest at the beginning of M7 and the second beat accent mark in M8. This second beat is lower than the top E in M6 but is reinforced with pedal application. This would be the climax of the this first section (which you seem to have missed) and where there needs to be a healthy pause for the weight and the fuller sound to live in and make its presence felt. We've moved to C Major here, the relative major and this climax is on its dominant seventh. The end of the phrase comes on the first beat of 10.

For the B section, the accent is clearly on the first beat of each measure until it's transferred cleverly back onto the second beat in M18.

In the reprise of the A section we reach E7, the dominant seventh of A minor, in M23 to reach the home key for M26. The move to the dominant is sweeter and less expected after reaching the relative major in the opening. The coda delays the final conclusion, which comes with a firm resolution into the tonic.

The recording isn't very clear, especially considering it's a digital, but the LH is too loud for the delicate RH of the outer sections and is a little uneven.

The tempo is fine for your level and experience. The marked tempo might be reached when your tone is under better control and a lighter touch developed.

Richard
#2625373 - 03/20/17 10:05 AM Re: please comment on my piano practice [Re: iamanders]  
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
rocket88  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

What does your teacher say about your playing?

Piano teacher and Blues and Boogie-Woogie pianist.
#2625388 - 03/20/17 11:21 AM Re: please comment on my piano practice [Re: iamanders]  
sara elizabeth Online content
sara elizabeth  Online Content

Nice job. everyone has made great comments. I wanted to say that I have the same issue as you with the left hand being too loud and taking over. Its very common. The left should be more of an accompaniment to the melody. You can practice by touching the left keys but not actually playing, if you do that a few times your left will almost magically lighten the next time you play properly.

#2625390 - 03/20/17 11:41 AM Re: please comment on my piano practice [Re: sara elizabeth]  
dogperson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
dogperson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by sara elizabeth
Nice job. everyone has made great comments. I wanted to say that I have the same issue as you with the left hand being too loud and taking over. Its very common. The left should be more of an accompaniment to the melody. You can practice by touching the left keys but not actually playing, if you do that a few times your left will almost magically lighten the next time you play properly.

Graham Fitch has a good video tutorial on this practice technique, which he calls 'miming'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNGWFxnA_SQ

#2625405 - 03/20/17 01:00 PM Re: please comment on my piano practice [Re: iamanders]  
iamanders Offline
iamanders  Offline

Thanks for the comments! I do have a teacher but still wanted to hear from you.
My teacher say I mustnot be afraid to play with Dynamics and with short staccato.

#2625496 - 03/20/17 06:40 PM Re: please comment on my piano practice [Re: iamanders]  
Cutestpuppie Offline
Cutestpuppie  Offline

It sound fine 10/10 what is wrong with it?

Also are you beginner or advance?
May I ask if you could link the sheets?

#2625533 - 03/20/17 09:04 PM Re: please comment on my piano practice [Re: Cutestpuppie]  
dogperson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
dogperson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by Cutestpuppie
It sound fine 10/10 what is wrong with it?

Also are you beginner or advance?
May I ask if you could link the sheets?

You can download a PDF version here
http://www.free-scores.com/download-sheet-music.php?pdf=362

#2625721 - 03/21/17 03:28 PM Re: please comment on my piano practice [Re: iamanders]  
SonatainfSharp Offline
500 Post Club Member
SonatainfSharp  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Minneapolis
Maybe it's my headphones or something, but it sounds like you are accenting each 8th note after each group of 16ths. The slurs are very specific in that piece: your wrist should be floating-off at the end of each slur, which would actually make the 8th notes the lightest notes of each figure. The staccato 8th note (instead of just writing another 16th), reinforces that.

I do music stuffs
Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony [2017]

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
What's Hot!!
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
To Shake up the Digital Piano scene?
by peterws. 06/22/17 06:08 PM
HELP: Lirika String Measurements
by Lirika. 06/22/17 05:01 PM
Chopin Revolutionary Etude - Tempo?
by hag01. 06/22/17 02:25 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics180,398
Posts2,638,312
Members88,164
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Check It Out!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission