Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Ad
Schumann's 4th Finger
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved
Who's Online
129 registered (alexcawley, 36251, ajames, AdrianR, Almaviva, alwatson, 28 invisible), 1446 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2625246 - 03/19/17 07:57 PM Your top 3 favourite books?
Scottswald Offline

Loc: Northumberland, United kingdom
What 3 books have you used the most/found the most helpful during your time playing piano?

It could be a method book, scales/arpeggios book, excercise book, sight reading, motivational, theory etc

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2625266 - 03/19/17 09:33 PM Re: Your top 3 favourite books? [Re: Scottswald]
Richrf Online   content

As a beginner I am focusing on Nikoleav's Russian School of Piano Playing and using Bastien's series as a supplement. I started off with Alfred's but found it "immobilizing", thus not to my taste.

But the books themselves are not the key. The key is the visual instruction I am getting from the online course I am taking and other Youtube channels. One picture with music is worth a thousand words. 😃

Creativity, imagery, relaxation and patience are the pillars of my arts.

#2625270 - 03/19/17 09:48 PM Re: Your top 3 favourite books? [Re: Scottswald]
sara elizabeth Online   content

I am really liking the Alfred's Greatist Hits book and Alfred's all time favourites. The FunTime series by Faner is also very good but the books are smaller with fewer pieces. They are separated into music genre, so there's a cassical book, a popular book etc.

#2625314 - 03/20/17 04:45 AM Re: Your top 3 favourite books? [Re: Scottswald]
ThaiBlue Offline

Loc: Thailand
I love the Burgmuller, Czerny and Hannon compilation of piano etudes and exercises for technique and musicality put together by Ingrid Jacobson Clarfield. There are 3 books in the series.

Then for perhaps more interesting pieces (though I really enjoy the Burgmuller's anyway) I am very impressed with Classics for the Developing Pianist. There are 5 books in that series.

I think together they should cover my needs for the next few years at least.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2625438 - 03/20/17 03:19 PM Re: Your top 3 favourite books? [Re: Scottswald]
dogperson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
My favorite books change frequently--- I am an unabashed collector/reader of piano books, and I have no problem buying cheap used (sometimes not in great shape)

Right now
Harvard dictionary of music (very expensive new, cheap as new)
The Art of Piano Fingering- Rami Bar Niv (expensive either way but comprehensive)
and for inspiration
'Play it Again' - Alan Rusbridger

#2625461 - 03/20/17 04:33 PM Re: Your top 3 favourite books? [Re: Scottswald]
zrtf90 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
I'm having difficulty keeping to three but:

Source material:
Scarlatti: Sixty Sonatas, specifically the Preface by Ralp Kirkpatrick.
Bach: The Well Tempered Clavier, with the commentary by Donald Tovey.
Beethoven: The Piano Sonatas, again with the commentary by Tovey.
Chopin: The Preludes, just the content.

About playing or practice:
Kendall Taylor: Principles of Piano Technique and Interpretation
Heinrich Neuhaus: The Art of Piano Playing
Neil Stannard: Piano Technique Demystified

#2625600 - 03/21/17 07:29 AM Re: Your top 3 favourite books? [Re: Scottswald]
Wuffski Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe (Northern Spain)
I have been very intensively for months searching for melodious pieces in order to build up my very personal collection of urtext-alike (not arranged) early intermediate to intermediate pieces (levels 3 to 6 out of a 0 to 10 range, focus on 4 to 5). Borrowing at least a dozen of original piano music books of that level from the library of the local public music school and listening to the related recordings which I found on the Internet (mainly Youtube), I then have been of course to IMSLP.org, but also took the chance when traveling abroad to visit some big sheet music stores for selectively gathering my sheets.

If you want to avoid this kind of search through all the boring finger exercises called pieces at that level, and save some 3 month of quite time consuming work, although missing some hardly known gems and of course missing your study on the variety of created piano music, then I highly recommend the books of this series, containing big part of what I found my way:

"Melodious Masterpieces" by Jane Magrath (published by Alfred Music).

- very useful comments on each piece at the beginning of the book
- sufficient and cautious marking of fingering and dynamics
- thoughtful page turns, superb printing quality
- fine CD recording, also enjoyable independent from piano practicing
Sounds like a commercial ad? Well, it is simply the best piano sheet book I know of, and there is almost nothing to complain about it. The only complain is actually this one:
- besides the table of contents listing the pieces by composer and pieces alphabetically within a composer section, there is urgently missing another table of contents listing the pieces simply in the order of appearance in the book, which by the way is the same order as appearing on CD.

#2625706 - 03/21/17 02:43 PM Re: Your top 3 favourite books? [Re: Scottswald]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
No surprises here... My top 3 are:

1. Einaudi, Best of, sheet music collection
2. Einaudi, Una Mattina sheet music collection
3. [tie] Einaudi, Divenire sheet music collection and In a Time Lapse sheet music collection. smile

#2625728 - 03/21/17 04:02 PM Re: Your top 3 favourite books? [Re: Wuffski]
johan d Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
Originally Posted By Wuffski

Your post was so convincing to me, I ordered the 1st book+cd and another one - Masterpieces with Flair 1. AND THESE WILL BE MY LAST FOR A LONG TIME, UNTIL I LEANERD A GREAT PART OF THEM! :-)

#2625736 - 03/21/17 04:32 PM Re: Your top 3 favourite books? [Re: Wuffski]
bennevis Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Wuffski
I have been very intensively for months searching for melodious pieces in order to build up my very personal collection of urtext-alike (not arranged) early intermediate to intermediate pieces (levels 3 to 6 out of a 0 to 10 range, focus on 4 to 5).
..........I highly recommend the books of this series, containing big part of what I found my way:

- very useful comments on each piece at the beginning of the book
- sufficient and cautious marking of fingering and dynamics
- thoughtful page turns, superb printing quality
- fine CD recording, also enjoyable independent from piano practicing
Sounds like a commercial ad? Well, it is simply the best piano sheet book I know of, and there is almost nothing to complain about it.

I've not heard of that series before, and from what I can see of it on Amazon.com, it looks really good.

I've always believed that if you're going to play classical piano/keyboard pieces, you should always play them as they were originally composed, not simplified or abridged or deranged (sic wink ) in any way. After all, there are zillions of great original piano/keyboard music of all levels of difficulty (from the past four centuries or so) out there: go to any classical piano recital by any great virtuoso, and you're likely to hear at least one piece (or movement) that you can play, if you're above beginner standard.

Listen to what this well-known pianist played as his encore:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08jfgh8

- yes, the slow movement of K545 thumb

I've discovered lots of easy attractive pieces that I'd never heard before (often from composers I never knew existed shocked ) from the pull-out scores in Pianist magazine over the years. If ever I was mad enough to start teaching piano, I'd have almost unlimited number of piano pieces from beginner standard onwards for my students, just from those pull-out scores alone. And with 'Melodious Masterpieces' you have lovely music in a convenient format to learn from.

#2625854 - 03/22/17 05:05 AM Re: Your top 3 favourite books? [Re: Scottswald]
earlofmar Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Alfred Complete Book of Scales Arpeggios and Cadences - the single book I thought I could do without, but the one I use so much it would be hard to progress without it.

Essential Piano Repertoire of the 18th 19th & 20th Centuries - my first real books after I dumped Alfred's. So glad I found this series as it is full of gems, and was my staple go to book(s) for several years.

The Pianist's Problems by William Newman - Maybe the last technical book I will ever need. It has been a while since I read it but my main takeaway was to stop looking for miracles and just practice purposefully. Warning to those easily offended, he says Hanon is useless.

13x

#2625861 - 03/22/17 07:22 AM Re: Your top 3 favourite books? [Re: Scottswald]
gingko2 Offline

Loc: MA, USA
Jane Magrath's The Pianist's Guide to Standard Teaching and Performance Literature is a 500 page guide to beginning to early intermediate ("levels 1-10") piano music.

When I realized there was so much great and accessible music out there and a guide to find it I got the inspiration to restart. I read it with morning coffee sometimes!

CW 1500, Kawai CA63

#2625892 - 03/22/17 10:18 AM Re: Your top 3 favourite books? [Re: earlofmar]
Stubbie Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest USA
Originally Posted By earlofmar
Alfred Complete Book of Scales Arpeggios and Cadences - the single book I thought I could do without, but the one I use so much it would be hard to progress without it.

Essential Piano Repertoire of the 18th 19th & 20th Centuries - my first real books after I dumped Alfred's. So glad I found this series as it is full of gems, and was my staple go to book(s) for several years.

The Pianist's Problems by William Newman - Maybe the last technical book I will ever need. It has been a while since I read it but my main takeaway was to stop looking for miracles and just practice purposefully. Warning to those easily offended, he says Hanon is useless.
Ditto.

I happen to have a hardcover copy of the The Pianist's Problems sitting beside my chair, waiting for a second read after my first reading several years ago. I think it will "speak" to me considerably more this time around. I picked up my copy in a second-hand bookstore. It is signed by the author. It reads, "Warm regards to an esteemed colleague in the piano world, Tommy Brockman!" and is signed "Wm S. Newman, 13 Nov 74".

The Wiki for Newman includes this:
Quote:
His intense interests extended from pugilism (specifically, boxing), to hands-on involvement with sports cars, and, of course, the Chopin Études and the Beethoven Sonatas. Pianists should read his The Pianist's Problems.
I love it--boxing and Chopin Etudes. Not your usual combination.

#2625924 - 03/22/17 11:55 AM Re: Your top 3 favourite books? [Re: Scottswald]
David Farley Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
+1 for The Pianists Problems. It's written as advice for young aspiring professionals, but the advice is so straight-forward and practical that it's a good read for anybody who wants to learn piano. It basically outlines a plan that takes you out of the trees of the beginner method books and shows you the entire forest. I still play Hanon sometimes.

#2626333 - 03/23/17 06:44 PM Re: Your top 3 favourite books? [Re: Scottswald]
PianoStartsAt33 Offline

Loc: Murmansk
Shame on me, but for more than a year a read only one book - "The Art of Piano Playing" by Heinrich Neuhaus. May be, it's just because there are so much videos and tutorials etc. on youtube now, with many things explained pretty well, that you just don't feel need to read anything. But I might be wrong.

#2630657 - 04/06/17 11:17 AM Re: Your top 3 favourite books? [Re: Wuffski]
Charleyanne Offline

wuffski,
I took your particular suggestion at heart and purchased this series you recommended.
You were right! It is a wonderful contemplation of work, and by far the best I have experienced. Thank you for your insight and time you took on Jane Magrath.

#2630686 - 04/06/17 12:33 PM Re: Your top 3 favourite books? [Re: Scottswald]
bSharp(C)yclist Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, California
The Melodious Masterpieces looks good. I might have to check them out, but I feel I have too many books. I have the Masterwork Classics series edited by Jane Magrath up through Level 6. I think that can keep me busy for many years.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
What's Hot!!
New Forums Location & New Piano World Site
---------------------
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player!
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
A. Geyer Pianos
A. Geyer Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Music Theme Scarves

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sampletekk Black 70% off
by TheodorN
04/28/17 06:03 PM
MIT Piano Drop
by WhoDwaldi
04/28/17 05:35 PM
Possible to disable internal sounds on Yamaha P60 keyboard?
by Fscotte
04/28/17 03:58 PM
In the middle of choosing a piano concerto
by chrisyip789
04/28/17 02:57 PM
In Search Of The World's Greatest Pianos!
by Rich D.
04/28/17 02:54 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
87,549 Registered Members
44 Forums
179,270 Topics
2,620,245 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission