Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Who's Online Now
124 registered members (ajames, Adypiano, accordeur, Almaviva, agraffe, aleksivu, 28 invisible), 2,006 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2625093 - 03/19/17 09:02 AM Piano Lessons More Than 1 Time Per Week  
pianoMom2006 Offline
pianoMom2006  Offline

My 10 year old son has been taking lessons for 3.5 years now and I'm finding that when he has lessons more than one time a week that he makes even better progress...the extra lessons have all been at my request....

How uncommon is it for a person this age / or any age for that matter to take lessons more than once a week? I am considering having him take lessons next school year 2 times a week but I have not yet mentioned this to her. I do not get the impression that any of her other students take lessons more than 1 time per week.

A little bit about my son. He's only in level 3A Faber..but his teacher's philosophy with him is that she takes it very slow. She wants quality and that's what I want too. I'd much rather him play a simple piece to a high standard than a harder piece to a mediocre one. Also,I am not interested in him participating in competitions etc...just doing piano because it's fun. FWIW- my son's teacher is a graduate of a top conservatory...but she isn't in the "competition" circuit.

The reason that I'm considering a second lesson is that he does practice consistently and I'm afraid that as his pieces he get harder it will hurt him if he's making mistakes for an entire week.

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 03/19/17 09:11 AM.

Yamaha G2
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2625102 - 03/19/17 09:31 AM Re: Piano Lessons More Than 1 Time Per Week [Re: pianoMom2006]  
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Pennsylvania
My daughter gave me some good advice years ago when she played basketball.

She said .... "Dad, you are pushing kind of hard". She was near tears.

I had been getting her up early to practice (with me) at the local Y. Signing her up for summer camps on basketball. "pushing".

I stopped immediately and never regretted it.

No, she did not become the "star" that I had envisioned. But she enjoyed her years in school with many friends and activities.

From your description of how things are progressing (high quality), you seem to have him with the right teacher.

I am sure that a lesson each week will suffice for playing piano for "fun".

Last edited by dmd; 03/19/17 09:36 AM.

Don

Current: ES8, ProFX8 Mixer, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD598 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, JBL LSR305 Powered Monitors, Pianoteq 5,TruePiano,Ravenscroft275,TrueKeys American,Galaxy Vintage D,Ivory II,Alicia's Keys,CFX Concert Grand, The Grandeur
#2625106 - 03/19/17 09:35 AM Re: Piano Lessons More Than 1 Time Per Week [Re: pianoMom2006]  
jakatak4423 Offline
jakatak4423  Offline

Let your son guide your choice, it should be his desire and decision.

Jack

#2625107 - 03/19/17 09:37 AM Re: Piano Lessons More Than 1 Time Per Week [Re: pianoMom2006]  
sara elizabeth Offline
sara elizabeth  Offline

Well I'm just an adult learner, not a music teacher, expert or anything else, so take this for what it's worth. If your son is on board and wants to do it, I'd say go for it. I wish I had the $$ to do two lessons a week myself. Or more accurately if I had the time to practice enough to support two a week! It would also give me more time for stuff like theory and ear training. If I win the lottery, I'm buying a giant grand piano, a house big enough to put it in, practicing two hours a day, and doing two lessons a week. Lol

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2625112 - 03/19/17 09:49 AM Re: Piano Lessons More Than 1 Time Per Week [Re: pianoMom2006]  
dogperson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
dogperson  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Florida
I would let your son decide what he wants and not based on his progression with the piano. Yes I had two lessons per week as a child but I was one of those children who was obsessed with the piano .... I would walk by the piano and decide to just play for a minute and that it would be hours later and I would still be there.

So I started having one lesson per week of repertoire and one lesson per week of Ear training and theory.

If you don't see this sort of behavior in your son, and you only think that he would progress faster with two lessons per week, let it go. You don't want him to get where he hates music and quits piano lessons totally. I don't think that concern that he would make mistakes for one week is a good reason to add a second lesson for a child. Ask your teacher if she could write out good notes so he doesn't make the mistakes for the week , or you attend his lessons and take notes.

You want to keep the lessons on a level that is fun for him, whatever that is, and not good for him

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin

"My toy was my piano" -Alicia de Larrocha
"Just waiting until I can retire from my day job so my piano can be my toy"- dogperson
#2625113 - 03/19/17 10:05 AM Re: Piano Lessons More Than 1 Time Per Week [Re: dogperson]  
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by dogperson
I would let your son decide what he wants and not based on his progression with the piano. Yes I had two lessons per week as a child but I was one of those children who was obsessed with the piano .... I would walk by the piano and decide to just play for a minute and that it would be hours later and I would still be there.

So I started having one lesson per week of repertoire and one lesson per week of Ear training and theory.

If you don't see this sort of behavior in your son, and you only think that he would progress faster with two lessons per week, let it go. You don't want him to get where he hates music and quits piano lessons totally. I don't think that concern that he would make mistakes for one week is a good reason to add a second lesson for a child. Ask your teacher if she could write out good notes so he doesn't make the mistakes for the week , or you attend his lessons and take notes.

You want to keep the lessons on a level that is fun for him, whatever that is, and not good for him

All good thoughts.

However, I would not suggest asking teacher to "write out good notes". I would not get too involved with the pedagogy of the learning process. Teachers do that. Your part is to encourage your son and take notice of his progress and let him know you love to hear him play things. The rest will take care of itself.

Don

Current: ES8, ProFX8 Mixer, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD598 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, JBL LSR305 Powered Monitors, Pianoteq 5,TruePiano,Ravenscroft275,TrueKeys American,Galaxy Vintage D,Ivory II,Alicia's Keys,CFX Concert Grand, The Grandeur
#2625115 - 03/19/17 10:11 AM Re: Piano Lessons More Than 1 Time Per Week [Re: pianoMom2006]  
Pianoperformance Offline
Pianoperformance  Offline

lol Sara Elizabeth...pretty my dream too..beach home..grand piano and big home theatre as hub and me love movies

An adult student, if not working, would have more time to study and second lesson would push my theory, etc side other than just working on my practice pieces.

Last edited by Pianoperformance; 03/19/17 10:12 AM.

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
#2625172 - 03/19/17 03:23 PM Re: Piano Lessons More Than 1 Time Per Week [Re: pianoMom2006]  
pianoMom2006 Offline
pianoMom2006  Offline

Definitely not looking for a second lesson to push per se...just thinking he may enjoy piano with more frequent feedback..He's doing a few double weeks this spring so I guess I'll see how it goes. I know he enjoys piano more the better he plays. I am more wondering if this is not done usually unless someone is super serious..My son is just a normal boy.

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 03/19/17 03:25 PM.

Yamaha G2
#2625195 - 03/19/17 05:14 PM Re: Piano Lessons More Than 1 Time Per Week [Re: pianoMom2006]  
PhilipInChina Offline
2000 Post Club Member
PhilipInChina  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Bulgaria
In China I would usually have 2 lessons per week. It helped. That was with 2 teachers who were quite different.

There is no " one size fits all". If it works, and he is happy with 2 lessons, go for it.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
#2625207 - 03/19/17 05:42 PM Re: Piano Lessons More Than 1 Time Per Week [Re: pianoMom2006]  
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by pianoMom2006
Definitely not looking for a second lesson to push per se...just thinking he may enjoy piano with more frequent feedback..He's doing a few double weeks this spring so I guess I'll see how it goes. I know he enjoys piano more the better he plays. I am more wondering if this is not done usually unless someone is super serious..My son is just a normal boy.

Well, I would just plain ask him.

Be sure to emphasize that you are perfectly happy with him taking 1 lesson per week but if he prefers you are willing to have him take 2 lessons each week. It must be entirely his choice.

And ... make it clear he can revert back to 1 lesson per week if he should decide 2 is not working.

Make it entirely HIS choice. I cannot emphasize that enough.

You sound like a nice mom ...

Don

#2625209 - 03/19/17 05:52 PM Re: Piano Lessons More Than 1 Time Per Week [Re: pianoMom2006]  
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Australia
Originally Posted by pianoMom2006
..My son is just a normal boy.

I too am just a normal boy, just the wrong side of 58. At the moment I have a weekly practical lesson with my permanent teacher and a separate theory lesson at our local conservatorium. This will continue until June when I sit the theory exam, take a holiday, and come back to prepare for a practical exam. At that point I intend to take two practical lessons a week up to the exam (perhaps a month or two). When you are reaching for a goal obviously it is best to give yourself the best chance of success. However for most of the time, if not sitting exams, one weekly lesson would suffice. In an average weekly lesson I can get enough to try out and mull over for the entire week that sometimes the next lesson is upon me without progress. However in saying that there is more to piano than just learning pieces, so increased time with a teacher would mean a more in-depth musical life which is not a bad thing.

The internet famous piano guru, Bernard from pianostreet, wrote that all new students would be required to attend daily lessons with him. I am so glad I found his writings after his departure from the internet as I could easily have been lured into his cult smirk

Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#2625224 - 03/19/17 06:36 PM Re: Piano Lessons More Than 1 Time Per Week [Re: pianoMom2006]  
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Stubbie  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Maybe you should get his teacher's input before putting it to your son. She and your son have been working together long enough that she probably has a pretty good idea of how useful it would be for him--and how well it would mesh with her teaching style.

[Linked Image]
#2625230 - 03/19/17 06:50 PM Re: Piano Lessons More Than 1 Time Per Week [Re: pianoMom2006]  
pianoMom2006 Offline
pianoMom2006  Offline

I would definitely talk with his teacher first...I just want to think it through completely before I talk with her. She definitely knows both of us the best and I know she'd recommend what she thinks is best for him.

Twice a week lessons I could afford but daily would be crazy at least for my goals and his current level.

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 03/19/17 06:55 PM.

Yamaha G2

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
What's Hot!!
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Searching for my perfect piano
by vais4pianists. 06/22/17 10:47 AM
Used QRS midi strip /Pianodisk midi strip
by Marc NY. 06/22/17 09:42 AM
1899 Knabe Concert Grand
by Keith D Kerman. 06/22/17 09:29 AM
Returning to Piano after awhile
by acdyer23. 06/22/17 06:38 AM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics180,389
Posts2,638,175
Members88,153
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Check It Out!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission