Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Ad
Schumann's 4th Finger
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved
Who's Online
136 registered (alexcawley, 36251, ajames, AdrianR, Almaviva, AJB, 32 invisible), 1456 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2625024 - 03/18/17 10:45 PM Feet flat on ground when you stop pedaling or?
Cutestpuppie Online   content

I have some questions about pedalling. When you hit the pedal, are you suppose to hit the damper right down? Like right down and not half way down?

Let's say bar 1 - 5 pedal then bar 10-15 pedal. Are you suppose to put your right foot flat on the ground when you finish the 5th bar or is your right leg above the damper and not on the ground? (hovering sorta)

When I'm hovering above the damper I get leg pains lol but when I put feet on the ground I start to panic when the pedal starts because I have to lift my right feet up and press it down (2 leg movement) but when I'm hovering aka my foot is above the damper like its just staying there until I start the 10th bar (Just 1 leg movement).

My grammar sucks. thumb

Sorry if I'm confusing you. tired

Edited by Cutestpuppie (03/18/17 10:46 PM)

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2625031 - 03/18/17 11:12 PM Re: Feet flat on ground when you stop pedaling or? [Re: Cutestpuppie]
Ralphiano Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Cutestpuppie
I have some questions about pedalling. When you hit the pedal, are you suppose to hit the damper right down? Like right down and not half way down?

Let's say bar 1 - 5 pedal then bar 10-15 pedal. Are you suppose to put your right foot flat on the ground when you finish the 5th bar or is your right leg above the damper and not on the ground? (hovering sorta)

When I'm hovering above the damper I get leg pains lol but when I put feet on the ground I start to panic when the pedal starts because I have to lift my right feet up and press it down (2 leg movement) but when I'm hovering aka my foot is above the damper like its just staying there until I start the 10th bar (Just 1 leg movement).

My grammar sucks. thumb

Sorry if I'm confusing you. tired

I have watched a lot of very accomplished pianists "hover" their foot above (or lightly resting on) the pedals between actuations of the pedals. So, you would be in good company if you were able to do it this way.

I would suggest that you set aside some of your practice time just to experiment with leg muscle positions and levels of tension. Holding the foot with the toes pointed upwards (hovering above the pedal) puts strain on the muscles that run alongside the shin bone. These are muscles that are not accustomed to fine motor movements, and they tend to make their moves in a big way. Lots of power.

Just mess around with trying to find ways to hold your foot pointed upward, but, with the least amount of strain on those leg muscles. You will probably find an ability to hold the foot without a lot of discomfort.

I suspect this is the same leg work as holding your right foot just above the accelerator pedal in your car. You are probably able to drive long periods without similar pain, so, take the time to search out whatever muscle combination achieves that for you at the piano.

Good luck.

Casio Privia PX-760
Pianoteq Stage
Pianist since April, 2015

#2625044 - 03/19/17 01:03 AM Re: Feet flat on ground when you stop pedaling or? [Re: Cutestpuppie]
outo Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
While I normally prefer flat shoes, I have "pedal shoes" with some heel that I wear when playing. With them it is quite comfortable to keep my foot lightly resting on the pedal. Makes less noise than jumping on it when needed.

Edited by outo (03/19/17 01:05 AM)

#2625263 - 03/19/17 09:10 PM Re: Feet flat on ground when you stop pedaling or? [Re: Cutestpuppie]
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I rest my foot on the pedal as well so I know where it is.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2625511 - 03/20/17 07:49 PM Re: Feet flat on ground when you stop pedaling or? [Re: outo]
JohnSprung Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
Originally Posted By outo
While I normally prefer flat shoes, I have "pedal shoes" with some heel that I wear when playing. With them it is quite comfortable to keep my foot lightly resting on the pedal. Makes less noise than jumping on it when needed.

I have a block of wood under my heel to get the range of pedal travel to match the comfortable range of motion of my foot. Staying in contact with the pedal is a good habit, as you won't be making a little tap sound when you use it.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2625723 - 03/21/17 03:34 PM Re: Feet flat on ground when you stop pedaling or? [Re: Cutestpuppie]
SonatainfSharp Offline

Loc: Minneapolis
I always intend to rest my foot on the pedal when it isn't needed at the time, but sometimes I come across a pedal that will go down just from the weight of my foot. Then I hover, but the tension it creates is horrible, so no one should actually do this, from an injury-preventative point of view....but moving your foot over and back seems laborious, though...

#2625749 - 03/21/17 04:59 PM Re: Feet flat on ground when you stop pedaling or? [Re: SonatainfSharp]
peterws Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Coincidence, I know.. But look at the threads on ABF right now, you'd hardly know the piano was involved.
Yours for example, is a biking thing.

"You wear your shoes out, ya silly bug*er, and yer dad'll slap yer 'ed when 'e gets 'ome from work . . Here 'e comes now!" . .Clump clump Clump . . (brief conversation wi 'er indoors; brow thickens greatly as trepidation looms) . . .WHACK!!

""

#2625795 - 03/21/17 08:21 PM Re: Feet flat on ground when you stop pedaling or? [Re: SonatainfSharp]
JohnSprung Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
Originally Posted By SonatainfSharp
..., but sometimes I come across a pedal that will go down just from the weight of my foot. Then I hover, but the tension it creates is horrible,...

Ideally you need a tech to fix that so you can comfortably rest your foot on the pedal. The spring needs to be stronger.

Of course we often have to play less than adequate pianos, so it's far better to move your foot to the side and risk the little tap noise rather than hurting yourself.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2625840 - 03/22/17 02:18 AM Re: Feet flat on ground when you stop pedaling or? [Re: Cutestpuppie]
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015

Loc: USA
OK, this is how it should be done. Watch the video from beginning and notice what she does at the 1:00 minute mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjRtgX6yEL4

Ha! It's definitely not what I do. If I had to press the pedal any time during the piece, you bet I'm leaving it over the pedal the whole time. Notice on 2:36 minute on, her foot is over the pedal because the need to pedal every few beats.

BTW, the pianist in the video is my teacher, which is why I said it's how it's should to be done laugh , but I never reach for the pedal then put my foot back on the ground. It is proper technique to do so, so weight of your foot won't interfere with the dampers.

Also, as a tangent, my teacher has always told me "don't pedal Bach." Here she's playing Bach with the pedal! Just go to show rules are there to be broken as needed. Pedaling is possibly the most argued thing in piano training including not letting a student to even touch the pedal for the first 3-5 years, old school, because of need to learn proper finger articulation thoroughly without developing bad technique from use of pedal. I didn't get to use the pedal probably for at least that long. First 3 years, I spent lots of time learning finger pedaling.

“Most people overestimate what they can do in one year
and underestimate what they can do in ten years.” - Bill Gates

#2625841 - 03/22/17 02:22 AM Re: Feet flat on ground when you stop pedaling or? [Re: outo]
Meria Offline

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By outo

I do this too. I used to play without shoes at home but my ankle started to hurt little bit. Nowadays I always wear my piano shoes when playing my acoustic. The pedals of my digital piano are much more closer to the floor so no shoes needed.

#2625842 - 03/22/17 02:59 AM Re: Feet flat on ground when you stop pedaling or? [Re: Cutestpuppie]
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Orig. land of Svear&Götar
Yes, the foot is movable.
Hoping to graduate well within two years of study. Now at #72 of Opus 599 and behind schedule.

#2626082 - 03/22/17 10:34 PM Re: Feet flat on ground when you stop pedaling or? [Re: Cutestpuppie]
Cutestpuppie Online   content

Thanks everyone! smile
I think I just hover my foot and feet flat if the pedal is not active for x bars.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
What's Hot!!
New Forums Location & New Piano World Site
---------------------
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player!
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
A. Geyer Pianos
A. Geyer Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Music Theme Scarves

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sampletekk Black 70% off
by TheodorN
04/28/17 06:03 PM
MIT Piano Drop
by WhoDwaldi
04/28/17 05:35 PM
Possible to disable internal sounds on Yamaha P60 keyboard?
by Fscotte
04/28/17 03:58 PM
In the middle of choosing a piano concerto
by chrisyip789
04/28/17 02:57 PM
In Search Of The World's Greatest Pianos!
by Rich D.
04/28/17 02:54 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
87,549 Registered Members
44 Forums
179,270 Topics
2,620,243 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission