Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Ad
Schumann's 4th Finger
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved
Who's Online
129 registered (alexcawley, 36251, ajames, AdrianR, Almaviva, alwatson, 28 invisible), 1446 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2624962 - 03/18/17 07:30 PM 61 key keyboard
deltamud Offline

Loc: Houma, La
63 year old newbie working on my bucket list. Learning to play piano. I'm away from home 2-3 weeks at a time for work. I can't bring a full size keyboard with me so I was thinking about a 61 key. I've heard that learning on a short keyboard is not a good idea but I was thinking in my situation it's better than not playing at all.
Looking for opinions and recommendations. I would need the keyboard to have it's own speakers as I'm limited in space and would like to keep it under $1200 if y'all think it's a good idea

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2624964 - 03/18/17 07:41 PM Re: 61 key keyboard [Re: deltamud]
Richrf Online   content

Definitely go for it. Just learn the instrument you are playing and learn the music you want to pay. Learning to play an instrument is the same in some ways and different in other ways from every other instrument - and every other art for that matter. As long as you are enjoying yourself learning what you are learning, it is all great!

Creativity, imagery, relaxation and patience are the pillars of my arts.

#2624966 - 03/18/17 07:51 PM Re: 61 key keyboard [Re: deltamud]
Anita Potter Offline

Loc: Colorado
I learned on a 49 key keyboard before I got a full sized one a few weeks ago. You may not be able to do dynamics but it's definitely a starting point. I agree with Richrf enjoy yourself smile

Casio Privia PX-160
Yamaha PSR-160

#2624969 - 03/18/17 07:52 PM Re: 61 key keyboard [Re: deltamud]
macuaig Offline

Loc: Virginia/DC
I'm sure you've investigated, but I'm still amazed at how small a full 88 keyboard is - if you resist doubling the depth by choosing to lug around thousands of digiprocessing fiddlybits and LCD screens. I recently chose a Yamaha P115, one of the smallest and lightest full action keyboards I believe there is - and at half your budget. Extra functions if you want to learn the few buttons, or it plugs into an iPhone app.

I have frustrating memories of trying to learn on a short Casio keyboard as a kid, and when I was shopping recently a friend kept stopping his demo by saying "and I don't have those notes, so I'm transposing on the fly", etc. Sheesh, I have enough to think about.

Anyway, I'd consider whether it's the size or the weight that you'd object to more. Also, check on a recent thread I started called "Traveling with DP" for a couple of helpful observations on plane travel and shipping.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2624970 - 03/18/17 07:53 PM Re: 61 key keyboard [Re: deltamud]
dogperson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
hi Deltamud
What a great screen name for someone from Louisiana Would a full- size keyboard be better? Yes. But please don't delay starting to learn the piano because of your travel limitation. You might want to post your question about which one to buy in the digital piano forum where you will get a lot of assistance

What you might also want to include with your post is when your circumstances might change and you could upgrade to a full-size keyboard That might make a difference in what you want to spend now.

#2624984 - 03/18/17 08:26 PM Re: 61 key keyboard [Re: deltamud]
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I might be one of the very few people ever to take a full size keyboard to an ultramarathon laugh

I still have that DP which is a Yamaha P105. The newer P115 is probably the same, relatively small and light compared to most.

I don't think there is a 63 key piano with fully weighted keys, which IMHO is essential. However to just get started I would not rule out a touch sensitive 63 key instrument, but you will have to expect to "outgrow" it probably in the first year.

13x

#2624986 - 03/18/17 08:32 PM Re: 61 key keyboard [Re: deltamud]
sara elizabeth Online   content

Would it be an option to get an 88 key for home and a shorter one for travel?

#2624990 - 03/18/17 08:47 PM Re: 61 key keyboard [Re: deltamud]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I strongly recommend that you get an 88 key unit.

88 key keyboards typically have the keyboard mechanism designed to duplicate the touch and feel of of a real (acoustic) piano.

61 key keyboards on the other hand have mechanisms that do not attempt to duplicate the touch and feel of a real piano. Instead they have a spring or something under the key that causes it to rebound.

Students who learn on the 61 key non-pianos thus do not develop the proper physical movement response that learning on a real piano, or a 88 key digital can provide.

Its like going to the gym and working out using weights that look like real weights, but are much lighter.

Furthermore, 88 key digitals typically have graded actions (the name for the mechanism) that respond differently to different velocity and pressure of touch, whereas the 61 key keyboards are more like an on-off switch.

I have been teaching for about 17 years full-time in a music store, and have been down this road numerous times with many students.

Students with the 62 key units typically do not thrive as piano players, whereas those with 88 key units often do thrive and develop.

BTW, the width of a Casio Privia PX360 is 52" wide; it is a good 88 key digital...the width of a Casio CTK-6200 (a 62 keyboard) is 37 inches. Is 15 inches really a deal-killer?

Also, 88 key units usually sound much more like a real piano.

Most people who start lessons with a 62 key unit either quit, or quickly become dissatisfied with the 62 key unit. Remember...62 key units are NOT smaller pianos...they are more like toys.

At least that is my experience working literally hundreds and hundreds of students over the years.

#2624992 - 03/18/17 08:55 PM Re: 61 key keyboard [Re: deltamud]
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Northern VA, U.S.
The Roland RD64 is the closest thing to a short keyboard with a reasonable piano action.

I travel a lot too and, depending on my ability to manage luggage for a specific trip, I either take the RD64 or a Yamaha NP11 (61 keys, unweighted, but only 11 pounds, compared to 30+ for the Roland). The NP11 is better than nothing (IMHO -- not everyone agrees), but just barely.

When I can drive to my destination, a take an 88-key Casio, which is far preferable to the other two.

Edited by ClsscLib (03/18/17 08:56 PM)

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins

#2624993 - 03/18/17 08:56 PM Re: 61 key keyboard [Re: deltamud]
Swain Offline

Look into the Roland RD-64. it's portable, 64 ivory feel fully weighted keybed.

https://soundcloud.com/swain-9

#2624994 - 03/18/17 08:59 PM Re: 61 key keyboard [Re: ClsscLib]
Swain Offline

you beat me by one minute!

https://soundcloud.com/swain-9

#2625005 - 03/18/17 09:34 PM Re: 61 key keyboard [Re: deltamud]
Tone Deaf Offline

Loc: Canada

Am in agreement with what rocket88 and others have posted re the need for a fully weighted keyboard.

I began as a comlpete novice on a 61 key, unweighted Casio. Within 4 months I was looking for something much better.
The difference between my teacher's acoustic and my Casio was night and day. Any practice done at
home was mostly (in hind sight) a waste of time. Not only were the keys unweighted, but they were not full sized (length) keys.
As in the size (length) of keys found on an acoustic or 88 key DP.

Make sure whatever keyboard you select has Full length keys, and that the space between each key(s)
feels comfortable under your hands. Don't forget the headphones.

#2625020 - 03/18/17 10:32 PM Re: 61 key keyboard [Re: deltamud]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks Tone Deaf...I was going to mention that the key size of the 61 keyboards are smaller...not as wide, not as long, thus closer together than the keys of 88 key digitals and acoustic pianos (except some spinets which are now obsolete, thats another thread story).

The size difference can be disorientating when switching over to a full-size 88 key digital...BTW, all the contemporary 88 key digitals have "grand" size keys. (at least all those I am familiar with...there may be exceptions, but I doubt it).

#2625053 - 03/19/17 04:24 AM Re: 61 key keyboard [Re: deltamud]
fiver Offline

Loc: West Michigan
Travel means compromise. Get a decent full size 88 key hammer action keyboard at home and something else to take with you on the road.

For travel, what you end up buying will have a lot to do with your mode of travel and how much weight / bulk you are willing to deal with. For 1-2 day air trips I have a 25 key that fits in a mid sized suitcase with the rest of my clothes. 3-4 day trips a 37 key that fits in a full sized suitcase. No you can't work on any serious repertoire but as least you can work on song sections, scales arpeggios and what not.

Longer air trips I have a 49 key midi controller that fits in a Pelican flight case I already owned for a rifle. I'd like to fly with something bit bigger but it's what I had and the whole package is pretty light and manuverable. Unless you don't care about the extra baggage fees when flying you need to worry about total weight and volume of keyboard + case. Not to mention physically humping it through airports with the rest of your luggage. Any decent flight case is going to have a fair amount of weight in and of itself. So when shopping for bigger stuff to fly with be sure to do the math of the total weight of the potential case + keyboard and keep in mind the logistics of getting in and out of ground transportation, busses etc.

Driving pretty much anywhere, I take a Nord Electo 5HP. It's the almost identical in length to the Roland RD64. The action may not be quite as nice but I'd rather have 73 keys than 64. Any repritore that I'm going to practice that requires the full 88 keys can wait until I get home, very rarely am I limited with 73. I can fit the 5HP + an x stand in the same soft case and the entire package is under 30 pounds and will fit in even compact car.

IMO the only keyboards in current production less that 88 keys with hammer actions that are remotely portable are the RD64 and the Electro 5HP. There is the Kurzwiel model out there but it weighs a ton and is bulky as all heck.

I tried my best to travel with a StudioLogic VMK161 plus for awhile, which is one of the other few sub-88 key hammer actions in the wild. I do not recommend it, the firmware is buggy and unreliable and the velocity curves are terrible and full of obvious gaps. They quit making it for a reason. Not to mention it is a full 10 pounds heavier than the Electro and not much shorter.

Edited by fiver (03/19/17 04:27 AM)

#2625071 - 03/19/17 06:27 AM Re: 61 key keyboard [Re: deltamud]
john f Offline

Loc: thailand
We travel a lot in Asia since I am retired in Thailand. Beautiful and historical places to visit. Plus my wife is an interpreter for the church which requires us to travel a lot. I have a P-45 DP, Yamaha in my bedroom at home. If you travel by car this piano minus the stand is easy to carry. It is 52" long. I am considering buying a second one without the stand just for travel. Volume is easy to keep low enough for in a hotel room unless your wife plays a stupid t.v. and then you need good earphones.

#2625094 - 03/19/17 09:05 AM Re: 61 key keyboard [Re: deltamud]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto, Canada
My sister has the very portable Roll-up Piano she carries around in her suitcase she calls a purse.

I believe the action on it is fairly terrible, but she doesn't use it for that. She's a Guitar player (which she also usually is carrying) so mostly it is for tuning or maybe just the laughs, not sure. It is good for some things I guess, as a shorter keyboard will also be (better of course), but playing isn't one of them. smile

#2625216 - 03/19/17 06:15 PM Re: 61 key keyboard [Re: Greener]
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By Greener
M It is good for some things I guess.......

door stop springs to mind laugh

13x

#2625508 - 03/20/17 07:42 PM Re: 61 key keyboard [Re: fiver]
JohnSprung Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
Originally Posted By fiver
Travel means compromise. Get a decent full size 88 key hammer action keyboard at home and something else to take with you on the road.

+1. That's what I have. The 61 key is only for travel, I got it for $50 on Craig's List. No big deal if it gets stolen or left in a hotel room.

The "doorbell button" action of the 61 key is so light that it's actually helpful to play on once in a while. It reveals where I'm getting lazy and putting weight on keys that aren't supposed to be played. But that's only good in the context of having the vast majority of practice on a real piano and a weighted velocity sensitive 88 key digital. What the 61 key does let you do is practice getting the right fingers to the right places at the right times.

(Edit: BTW, get headphones for your travel keyboard so you don't get complaints from other guests.)

Edited by JohnSprung (03/20/17 07:43 PM)

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2625542 - 03/20/17 09:58 PM Re: 61 key keyboard [Re: sara elizabeth]
deltamud Offline

Sara sorry it took so long to respond. Yes that is the plan. A full size keyboard at home and a small one for the road. The only problem is I spend more time on the road than I do at home.

#2625544 - 03/20/17 10:06 PM Re: 61 key keyboard [Re: deltamud]
deltamud Offline

Folks thanks for all the responses. I'm going to do some measuring and see if I can fit a full size keyboard in my truck. I'm an owner operator and due to federal law I have to stop for a minimum of 10 hrs every day and who can sleep that much? Lots of time to practice.

#2625547 - 03/20/17 10:50 PM Re: 61 key keyboard [Re: deltamud]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I can fit a full-size Roland 88 keyboard in the front seat of my car, angled from the floor to the headrest. Best wishes on your piano journey!

ps...get a soft gig bag carrying case like this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GKB88Slim

#2625787 - 03/21/17 07:51 PM Re: 61 key keyboard [Re: deltamud]
JohnSprung Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
Originally Posted By deltamud
Folks thanks for all the responses. I'm going to do some measuring and see if I can fit a full size keyboard in my truck. I'm an owner operator and due to federal law I have to stop for a minimum of 10 hrs every day and who can sleep that much? Lots of time to practice.

Hmmm.... Maybe you could save a whole bunch of money by going into the long distance piano moving business.... ;-)

Why bother with digital, you could bring a concert grand.... ;-)

Seriously, though, check out the various stage pianos. Many of them run on 12 Volt DC from a wall wart adapter. If you have 12 VDC available in the truck you might save the inverter and wall wart losses.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
What's Hot!!
New Forums Location & New Piano World Site
---------------------
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player!
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
A. Geyer Pianos
A. Geyer Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Piano Lamp LED

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sampletekk Black 70% off
by TheodorN
04/28/17 06:03 PM
MIT Piano Drop
by WhoDwaldi
04/28/17 05:35 PM
Possible to disable internal sounds on Yamaha P60 keyboard?
by Fscotte
04/28/17 03:58 PM
In the middle of choosing a piano concerto
by chrisyip789
04/28/17 02:57 PM
In Search Of The World's Greatest Pianos!
by Rich D.
04/28/17 02:54 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
87,549 Registered Members
44 Forums
179,270 Topics
2,620,245 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission