2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, 11 invisible), 1,602 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
oscar1 Offline OP
OP Offline
For the next two weeks you can get PX-860 for 1K CAD in Costco online CANADA ($300 off). So this makes it the same price as PX-350 and PX-760. For this money it is an interesting proposal. The PX-860 is positioned as a top of the lower end Privia Series furniture piano (Higher, more featured and also more expensive models are Privia stage piano PX-560, PX-5S, Celvianos AP and of course GP).

Just so you know PX-860 is a 2015 model (and we probably may have 2017 models announced this year - perhaps even with some of the new sounds, who knows?)

P.S. If this is too much, in April you can get PX-160 with pedal stand for $550 CAD

I am actually waiting for a delivery right now on one of them PX-860.….
I don't work for neither costco or casio.

Last edited by oscar1; 03/14/17 12:39 PM.

Casio PX-860, Roland Fantom G, Kurzweil PC1X, Korg Micro X
oscar1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Ordered yesterday, and today it arrived. Just finished assembling the px-860. This model is loud!

Last edited by oscar1; 03/14/17 06:21 PM.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congrats! Didn't take a long time to send it. Yes, I've heard the PX-860 really rings. Happy playing.

Last edited by TheodorN; 03/14/17 07:06 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
oscar1 Offline OP
OP Offline
For anyone interested, this is heavy stuff. 90 pounds but tightly packed in a box. I did assembled it alone, but the biggest problem was to take it out of the box and manipulate the box inside the house. Once the bits and pieces were out, it was bit easier. Still heavy stuff.
Assembled it doesn't feel wobbly or lightweight at all, but rather solid sturdy. I was sort of expecting it to be more cheap looking, seeing some other models in store. The finish is rather nice, it is MDF of course with a laminate, but not wal-mart style. Rather an Ikea style with thick MDF, if you get my drift.
keyboard is exactly like every other Privia I tried. Feels good.
Sound is really loud and well balanced. From 2 meters it sounds remarkably like a good acoustic vertical piano and has good dynamics. There are two usable pianos the Grand and The Modern. The other "Classic Piano" sounds remarkably like it is lifted from their cheaper keyboard range.... and Mellow is just one of them with muffled EQ. The Strings 1 is improved over what I heard before in PX and actually now usable as a dual layer without overpowering the highs. Not sure why they bother with any other sounds, maybe because everyone else does it? But they are... well you know anyway.
Oh, yes hall simulator is nice, I just bit laughed inside by the description that one is a dutch church in amsterdam, other is a french cathedral in Paris...hmmm, yeeees definitely I hear paris there... well those are just different hall effects with a fancy name, but not bad, not too digitally sounding neither.
When comparing it to my FA08, I like the keyboard of casio more (maybe because it is new) but it is louder. The sound, I guess the casio sounds more like a real piano, and the roland super natural more like you want a real piano sound in recording?
The pedals are short - Why? IS there some weird preference for this model to be for small feet? Or just to further differentiate between PX and AP? Because there is zero reason for short pedals - this is not a portable piano.

Last edited by oscar1; 03/15/17 03:02 PM.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for sharing your initial experience on the PX-860 oscar1, I enjoyed reading it.

Can you control the volume of each voice, when you layer two sounds?

PS A picture/pictures would be nice, if you would bother. cool

Last edited by TheodorN; 03/15/17 04:22 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
oscar1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes, you can control the volume of the layers with the typical function + piano key.
But unlike the others casio I tried, notably - PX-160, the string volume is right(ish) from first go in px-860 when added as a layer. In Px-160 this was annoyingly overpowering in mid to highs (you can also change the volume there as well I think) - mostly due to the different more "squeaky" strings they used.
Also when you hold the sustain, the 160 string as a layer would get really crazy, multiplying the string sound to infinity and beyond. Here it is a bit more under control... (I still think that a string layer should ignore sustain pedal because of the natural decay, but whatever)
Other than that if someone thinks to get privia for the other sounds, then please don't. On this PX-860 there are exactly 2 good group of sounds, the pianos and the strings 1. On PX160 there was only one... (I had many synths over the time, korg, yamaha, roland so you can't bribe me with a half good sound).
After bushing the keys for the last few days, for hours and hours (we have so much snow that there is nothing else to do), I think the px-860 is very playable and enjoyable instrument. Also funny thing is my daughter would not touch the FA08, but I had seen her playing the casio here and there, so I'd say the piano screams "play me". Probably because you just press button and play, no need to mess with amps etc.
I'll take some pics and post them later.

Last edited by oscar1; 03/16/17 05:55 PM.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the clarifications, oscar1. A nice cabinet just does something for the playing experience. Sometimes I wish I had a cabinet-style piano, though I like the PX-5S's tweaking power.

Last edited by TheodorN; 03/16/17 06:09 PM.

Me on YouTube

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission