2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, 5 invisible), 1,110 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
lolatu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
So I'm thinking of splashing out my hard-earned €49 on one of the piano models above. (Maybe it'll inspire me to practice a bit more and learn some new pieces!) I've had a play around with the demo versions and have some ideas which I prefer, but I don't really trust my own judgement and need your input, so long as you've tried at least two of them.

I've got the Pianoteq Stage version so can't alter the presets much, and I play mainly Bach and Chopin. I've already got the D4 and K2 that were included.

Which is your pick, if you could only choose one?

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Grotrian. Big sound, long decays, lots of inter-string resonance. So it'll fit Chopin very well.

For Bach, I'd try some of the "vintage" instruments. They're free, and interesting.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I'm very satisfied with Bluthner, haven't try Grotrian yet though.

L
Lam Offline
L
Grotrian is very convincing. I am a big fan of it.

lolatu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
For Bach, I'd try some of the "vintage" instruments. They're free, and interesting.

Yes, I like the Neupert Clavichord. Sounds good and it makes playing so much easier due to the reduced velocity dependency. Piano sounds add an extra level of difficulty since you need a much more even touch, else notes stick out or get lost.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
F
F
I had Grotrian, Blüthner and Model B. Dropped the latter, though interesting. Loved the idea of owning the "authorized" ones, as they're quite different from one another.

H
H
Dropped? You can get rid of Pianoteq instruments?

Instruments: Roland RD-2000 + Roland A-49
Software: REAPER and MuseScore
T
T
I've been thinking of adding one of those three as well but so far have only used the demo versions. Between them I tend to favor the Bluthner, although I also like how the other two sound on certain things.

lolatu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Fleer
I had Grotrian, Blüthner and Model B. Dropped the latter, though interesting. Loved the idea of owning the "authorized" ones, as they're quite different from one another.

Which do you prefer out of the Grotrian and Blüthner?

I was having another play around today, comparing Grotrian Prelude with Bluethner Daily, running through my CA95 speakers. Both very nice tones.

Blüthner has a softer, fuller sound and seems more dynamic insofar as the timbre goes very soft (muffled, almost) at low velocities. Even perhaps a bit unrealistic in this respect.

Grotrian has a brighter sound, and a much better bass (first couple of octaves) than any other Pianoteq model I've tried. Much more body, more rounded and realistic. The top couple of octaves seem too loud. The C3 to C4 octave sounds a bit weak compared to the Bluethner and CA95 sounds that I'm used to.

I tried some of the other presets, which alter to varying extents the characteristics noted above, which is partly why it's so hard to make an overall comparison.

The Model B is pretty nice as well, somewhere between the Bluethner and Grotrian in brightness and quality of bass. Main thing I didn't like about it was that a bunch of the notes in the right hand sounded rattly and slightly detuned to me. I think this would annoy me. I'll probably rule this one out unless someone can persuade me otherwise.

L
L
I like the Bluethner a lot. I wasn't super keen on the Grotrian demos but I haven't tried it myself yet.
I find there is always some tweaks I want to make with any piano though which is why I think Pianoteq standard version or above is a much better choice than stage.

lolatu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Yes there are certainly tweaks I'd like to make, but mainly just to certain areas of the keyboard, e.g. scale down the volume in some parts and beef up other areas. Unfortunately you have to get the Pro version to do that... and unless I win the lottery I think I can always find better ways to spend a few hundred euros.

F
F
You can find out a lot by using the demo versions, then you'll know which one to hang on to and which one to drop.
Grotrian has more grandeur and bass than Blüthner but I do like the latter's subdued sound, a wonderful softness. They complement each other very well.

M
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
M
I have been playing around with the three of them lately, I have Pianoteq with the pianos that came with it, the K2 and D4 as well as the free ones and have been thinking about picking up another software piano. You know for some reason I really like the Model B. I am hearing about all the love for the Bluethner and Grotrian but for some reason I always seem to come back to the Model B. All are wonderful instruments and I would like to have all of them but one for now and we will wait and pick up another perhaps.

Acoustic: Cunningham Parlour Grand
Digital: Kawai ES-8 / Pianoteq 6

lolatu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Fleer
You can find out a lot by using the demo versions, then you'll know which one to hang on to and which one to drop.
If only it were so easy... one thing's for sure, I'm going to regret my decision whichever way I go.

Grotrian has more grandeur and bass than Blüthner but I do like the latter's subdued sound, a wonderful softness. They complement each other very well.
Aaarrrgh... but I only have €49!! smile

Originally Posted by Michael.
You know for some reason I really like the Model B. I am hearing about all the love for the Bluethner and Grotrian but for some reason I always seem to come back to the Model B.
You're not making this any easier. wink

D
D
Of the three you asked about, I also prefer the Blüthner, it has a nice soft sound that is actually quite like the real thing (at least, the early 20C Blüthner that I've practiced on).

If I want a stronger sound then I seem to end up on the model D rather than the model B or Grotrian.

FP-30. Pianoteq Stage into Naim/Spendor.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have a hard time noticing any difference between any of the Pianoteq pianos. There are some differences, but not to speak of. If it is any of the pianos, that stand out from the rest, it's the upright piano, U4, and some of the historical pianos. They are quite unique.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
M
M
If you can't decide amongst multiple Grand Pianos, maybe they all sound close enough to you so you should branch out instead into something different -- pick an electric piano package instead.

lolatu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the input guys. I can tell the difference between the various models, but it's more a case of deciding which I'll enjoy practicing with most and which is going to give me more options if I want to make a recording.

I thing the Bluethner sounds and feels really nice, particularly its soft, warm sound when played over the CA95 speakers. It much better than the D4, but it does sound pretty similar overall.

The Grotrian has a very different, more realistic sound over headphones. Purer and more expansive. I really like the "Grotrian Recording 1" preset.

I think the Bluethner wins if I want a mellow tone... there's the "Grotrian Concert Royal" preset which is mellower than the "Prelude", but it's kind of more muffled than the Bluethner. I don't really have a mellow preset with the D4 or K2, so that would be kind of nice.

Will have another fiddle around tomorrow.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by lolatu
Will have another fiddle around tomorrow.

Absolutely !

Another reason to skip practice ... LOL ...

BTW ... How are you coming on Chopin's Ballade 1 you were working through 3 years ago ?

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
lolatu Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd
Another reason to skip practice ... LOL ...

Practice? What's that?

BTW ... How are you coming on Chopin's Ballade 1 you were working through 3 years ago ?

Haven't played it for a while now... I think I'd memorized up to and including the waltzy bit around bar 140, about 60% of the way through, and after about 6 months hit a bit of a wall of interest and started playing other things. I've forgotten how to play it now. Maybe one day I'll pick it up again!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission