Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
57 registered members (campfire, Artur Gajewski, Beowulf, Animisha, bambooninja, Alex C, A Guy, 90125, 13 invisible), 936 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Recommend a Piano Bench - Thomann? #2623869
03/15/17 05:18 AM
03/15/17 05:18 AM
Denmark
pinkfloydhomer Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
pinkfloydhomer  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Denmark
I need a good quality adjustable piano bench. I want to avoid the worst ones of low quality, the ones that creak when you move and so on. On the other hand, I don't want it to be insanely expensive. I'm looking for good value.

Which models can you recommend?

I live in Copenhagen, Denmark, Europe so I am especially interested in recommendations that are available within the EU, on Thomann or in stores in Copenhagen. There are a lot of different ones on the Thomann site https://www.thomann.de/gb/piano_banks_and_stools.html but I have no idea about the quality or value?

Nordiska 120CA (Dongbei) upright from about 2004. Yamaha CP33 digital. Sennheiser HD 600.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Recommend a Piano Bench - Thomann? [Re: pinkfloydhomer] #2623871
03/15/17 05:24 AM
03/15/17 05:24 AM
B
barbaram Offline

1000 Post Club Member
barbaram  Offline

1000 Post Club Member
B

I have this one: cheap Thomann bench

It came bundled with my CS8 and was an improvement on my previous one.
However after less than a year it has started to get pretty creaky. Likely enough I need to tighten some screws, but I did a quick check and couldn't immediately find the source of the problem.

I'm sure you are looking a bit up the price range from that one anyway

Re: Recommend a Piano Bench - Thomann? [Re: pinkfloydhomer] #2623876
03/15/17 05:56 AM
03/15/17 05:56 AM
Denmark
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Denmark
It is interesting to hear experiences with different price levels, brand etc. I am not fixed on anything particular yet.

After looking a bit (and looking at which benches have a lot of positive reviews), I seem to be homing in on some of the better Thomanns like this

https://www.thomann.de/dk/thomann_kb85bp.htm

or one of the many Andexinger benches like https://www.thomann.de/dk/andexinger_486_s_schwarz.htm

Some further questions:

1) What is the difference between the Andexinger versions with S at the end of the model number and the ones without the S? The Andexinger web site is not very useful.

2) I will not be adjusting the height very often, the bench is primarily for me. I don't need the convenience of automatic hydraulic/gas lifting. But if there is a difference in the risk of creaking, the stability, the durability that would be important. So will a classic bench with the two manual hand "screws" on either side be fine for me or are there advantages to choosing the lift-o-matic ones?

3) Appearance is not very important to me, so I don't care whether the cover is leather or something artificial. But I do mind about the usability and the feel. I don't want to buy a bench with an artificial cover that is horrible to sit on, that makes me sweat and so on. Do I need leather or will the cheaper covers do fine?

Nordiska 120CA (Dongbei) upright from about 2004. Yamaha CP33 digital. Sennheiser HD 600.
Re: Recommend a Piano Bench - Thomann? [Re: pinkfloydhomer] #2623920
03/15/17 09:20 AM
03/15/17 09:20 AM
Germany
JoBert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Germany
Originally Posted by pinkfloydhomer
1) What is the difference between the Andexinger versions with S at the end of the model number and the ones without the S? The Andexinger web site is not very useful.

I don't think that there actually is an Andexinger 486S, at least not according to the Andexinger website. I think that's a mistake by Thomann, or maybe Andexinger changed the name recently. According to the Andexinger site, there is only an Andexinger 486, not a 486S (but there is a 486A, which is the same as the 486, but with hidden height adjustment knob). According to the Andexinger website, the 486 has a seat size of 55x33cm, which conforms to what Thomann says about the 486S (with a slight difference: 55x32cm). Actually, other German online shops have the 486S too, and they quote the size as 55x33cm, just like Andexinger does for their 486 (sans-s).

Now why am I fixated on the size? Because according to the Andexinger website, for the 484 there actually are two versions: The 484 and the 484S, and those two do differ in size (75x33 and 65x33 respectively), so it seems that the "S" suffix does indeed mean "small", at least for the 484 model. But since the 486 model only comes in one size, Andexinger lists it only as 486, but many retailers list the same size as 486S, which makes me assume that it's just a name mixup and they are otherwise identical.

2) I will not be adjusting the height very often, the bench is primarily for me. I don't need the convenience of automatic hydraulic/gas lifting. But if there is a difference in the risk of creaking, the stability, the durability that would be important. So will a classic bench with the two manual hand "screws" on either side be fine for me or are there advantages to choosing the lift-o-matic ones?

I have never tried the 486, but seeing the very good quality that Andexinger has, I would assume they they don't creak and are very stable.

I myself have the 484, (the lift-o-matic) and I am very happy with it, even though I don't adjust the height very often myself (actually, once I brought it home I adjusted the size once and that was it). It is very stable (feels quite massive) and doesn't creak at all. What I like so much about the 484 is the size. At 75cm it is a full 20cm wider than the 486 (even the "small" 484S is still 10cm wider) - it really gives the impression of a real bench (not a stool) and, in a pinch, can even be used for 4-hand play (although not comfortably over longer times, but certainly for a bit of fooling around on the keys together with a child...). Note that the wider 484 cost the same as the smaller 484S.

3) Appearance is not very important to me, so I don't care whether the cover is leather or something artificial. But I do mind about the usability and the feel. I don't want to buy a bench with an artificial cover that is horrible to sit on, that makes me sweat and so on. Do I need leather or will the cheaper covers do fine?

I didn't want leather (or artificial leather) either, because I don't like sweating on leather in the summer (I used to have a car with leather seats and a leather couch, but no longer - for those I prefer a nice soft fabric too).

Fortunately, I was able to actually visit Thomann's brick-and-mortar shop and check out the benches in real life, to get a feel for the fabric (I already knew that I wanted the Andexinger 484, but wasn't sure about the fabric).

I can tell you that I didn't like the feel of the "standard" fabrics, the ones that Andexinger calls "Stoffe" on this page: http://andexinger.de/html/stoffe.htm.

But the ones that Andexinger calls "Plüsch" on this page: http://andexinger.de/html/velours.htm are very nice.

Confusingly, while the page itself is called "velours.htm", the text on that page calls the fabrics "Plüsch". Well "Velours" is the french word for "Velvet" ("Samt" in German and Google tells me "fløjl" in Danish), while "Plüsch" would be very similar but maybe a bit less "soft" (Google tells me it's "plys" in Danish). Whatever the actual difference between "Samt/Velvet" and "Plüsch", the seat fabric feels very good, soft and, indeed, like velvet.

So I ordered my bench with the 25A Plüsch (which is black, not dark grey as the image on the Andexinger website might suggest) and I'm very happy with it.

But for the 484, I actually had to call Thomann to order it with the 25A fabric, because there was no way to order it online. For the 486, I see that there is this variant of the bench on the Thomann site:
https://www.thomann.de/dk/andexinger_486_s_verschiedene_farben.htm
where you are asked to specify the wood color and seat covering upon ordering (I don't know how that works though).
For the wood you could refer to here: http://andexinger.de/html/holzfarbtoene.html
and for the seat covers to here: http://andexinger.de/html/sitzbezuege.html.

Or you just given them a call (if you want to order from them). smile

Re: Recommend a Piano Bench - Thomann? [Re: pinkfloydhomer] #2623963
03/15/17 12:20 PM
03/15/17 12:20 PM
Denmark
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Denmark
Wow, that was incredibly helpful, JoBert! smile

I think I will order one of these Andexingers soon!

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Comparing DP to acoustic, muffled/metallic sound etc...
by Artur Gajewski. 01/16/19 01:27 AM
Need Roland HP170 service manual/schematic
by btsui. 01/15/19 11:15 PM
Discord Online Jamming Central server looking for pianists
by Tyrone Slothrop. 01/15/19 11:02 PM
NU1X white noise?
by Eienkei. 01/15/19 10:51 PM
What keyboard should I get???
by jbear876. 01/15/19 08:42 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,592
Posts2,782,181
Members92,114
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission