2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (1200s, busa, clothearednincompo, 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,135 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by hughconway
Yamahas are known for the brilliance (i.e. clean, crisp, treble heavy) of their voicing across the range of acoustics and this is mirrored in the digitals. Some love this sound others do not.

It *was* mirrored in their digitals, perhaps, but it isn't in the CLP-585. Compared to other piano's (even other Yamaha's), the CLP-585 is very dark. It's even dark through a Sennheiser HD598, and that's *not* a dark sounding headphone.

I would dread listening to a CLP-585 through a Senn HD600 or 650, which are a lot darker and more laid-back than the HD598.

====

Personally, my list is as such:

Action:
1. Kawai GF2 (CS11) / GF1 (MP11)
2. Roland PHA-50 (HP/LX) / Kawai RM-3 (CA17)
3. Kawai RHII (MP7) / RHIII (ES8) / Roland PHA-4 (RD-800)
4. Yamaha NWX (585)... and I really disliked that one. I don't even consider lesser Yamaha actions to be worth trying, to be honest.

(Above are the actions I've played on while testing piano's in the store. The tested piano's are mentioned in brackets.)

Sound:
1. Roland modeled sound (HP603/605, LX7/17)
2. Kawai Hi-XL sound (MP7, CS11)
3. Older Kawai and Roland sounds (RD-800, MP10)
4. Somewhere far down below... Yamaha.

I wouldn't want to be found dead behind a CLP-585. Honest. That is one lifeless piano if ever I heard one, IMHO. I can't get a CS11/CA97 up the stairs, and I resolved that if I couldn't have the LX-17 for whatever resaon, I would stick with my MP7.

Last edited by Falsch; 01/20/17 10:52 AM.

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7
(Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers II, Karsten, KIVIR, Steinway D, K2)
Intel NUC J5040, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Y`know, you can listen to stuff folk write, and listen to what you hear. But if you don`t know how to handle the piano in question, like, different settings, onboard pianos, etc etc, and you can hardly see the little black buttons in the showroom, you need to get somebody standing alongside demonstrating it`s capabilities.

Well, you might not but I do. I plink around haphazardly and I always seem to arrive at the same conclusion.

Best piano action found on CN35. Even better without escapement.
Best piano sound found on DGX 660. Had depth in the bass. No understatement.

Yamaha CLP585 had little dynamic range.
Kawai CA17? Too much. How strange!
Roland HP603 and Yamaha NU1
One was uninspiring for me,
The other had gone . . . .

A Steinmayer acoustic was better than any of `em. And a Yamaha B1 silent, both on headphones and otherwise; was also pleasantly agreeable. Or should it be agreeably pleasant?

I`d be reluctant to spend money on digitals at the moment.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by peterws
Y`know, you can listen to stuff folk write, and listen to what you hear. But if you don`t know how to handle the piano in question, like, different settings, onboard pianos, etc etc, and you can hardly see the little black buttons in the showroom, you need to get somebody standing alongside demonstrating it`s capabilities.

Well, you might not but I do.

If there is one thing I don't need in this world, its assistance with regard to using digital stuff. I can use/find that out on my own, and (in case of a digital piano) am fully capable of comparing it to one or two grands or uprights in the same room.

Last edited by Falsch; 01/20/17 05:27 PM.

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7
(Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers II, Karsten, KIVIR, Steinway D, K2)
Intel NUC J5040, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
It`s when you compare them (default) to acoustics (also default) that you notice the gulf. The acoustics in my local shop are in a wonderful state of tune at the moment, and what a difference that makes. And the action just seemed better overall. More playable. Dammit, I could get a nice shiny brown one with a gold name for £1350 . . . .the silent B1 was around £3.5k new.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
I
I
I can't find any news on clp series at namm this year... are there still some chances of a late unveiling of the products or is it dead ?

M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Perhaps read all the messages in this thread and you can clearly see my answer to this question. Yamaha announce new digital pianos at musikmesse not namm anymore, so you will have to wait until April to find out what they have developed, I expect a new clp range and cp4 update this year from yamaha.

P
P
Originally Posted by mwf
Perhaps read all the messages in this thread and you can clearly see my answer to this question. Yamaha announce new digital pianos at musikmesse not namm anymore, so you will have to wait until April to find out what they have developed, I expect a new clp range and cp4 update this year from yamaha.

Nice...

F
F
I did my own estimations. Up from 2002 or maybe even earlier Yamaha is adding new CLP revisions each 3 years. The last one was announced at 2014, so the new one should be there this year. Most probably new CLP 600 versions like it was mentions should be announced at Musikmesse.

For the CVP pianos the difference is a little bit bigger, they are announcing it in 2-4 years intervals, typically 1-2 years after equivalent version of CLP piano. I did linear fitting to the CVP pianos which were launched between 1993 and now. There are some chances that CVP 800 series would be presented this year, but it is more possible that it will be there on the marked next year. As I know how the hardware and software is typically build most probably there is the same team making CLP and CVP piano series. That it is why CVP series is done after CLP pianos.

I was trying to find out for longer if there was any possibility to move software from higher version of Yamaha device to the lower one, but I never found the answer to this question. Most probably the devices are too expensive and too rare to experiment on their software.

When it comes to sound. I prefer the most Yamaha. Roland has a very nice pianos and very nice keys press, but beside the piano all the sounds on it are so dry to my ears. When I hear organs or guitars and other instruments at Yamaha, in particular with Voice articulation they are so great there.

Of course the best it would be always to have own piano at home, mechanical instruments have so great sound, but then they take a lot of space and they are really loud instruments, one can not use it in apartment so often.

Online Content
I don't believe it's a question of if Yamaha will launch a new series of Clavinova models at Musikmesse, but rather when the company will announce them.

The previous generation CLP-5x5 models were announced in the second week of March 2014 - a month or so before being exhibited at Musikmesse. If Yamaha follows the same pattern for the CLP-600 series, the company may well announce these new model as early as next week.

Place your bets! wink

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
F
F
So If I follow it is confirmed that new Yamaha CLP series will be there on the marked very soon:
https://fccid.io/MSIP-REI-ymk-CLP-685
https://fccid.io/MSIP-REI-ymk-CLP-675
https://fccid.io/MSIP-REI-ymk-CLP-645

No news about new CVP 800 series, so most probably it would not come to the market rather during this time or have other name. I predicted that it will be on the marked next year on in two years, because it is always introduced 1-2 years after equivalent CLP series.

And finally some news from french webpages:
http://www.francepianos.com/pn/yamaha-clp685.php
http://www.francepianos.com/pn/yamaha-clp675.php
http://www.francepianos.com/pn/yamaha-clp645.php
http://www.francepianos.com/pn/yamaha-clp635.php
http://www.francepianos.com/pn/yamaha-clp625.php

Description of Yamaha CLP 685 translated from French to English by google translator, it could be a copy of CLP 575 description, with some update?:
Keyboard wood 88 Notes heavy keys NWX with simulation escapement
Blank keys covered with synthetic ivory
Counterweight keyboard with exhaust simulation and weight of each graduates individually linearly
2 sounds of concert pianos Pianos CFX YAMAHA and Bosendorfer
Key-by-key sampling
Modeling of sound samples (VRM system)
6 touch settings
New GH3X Mechanics
34 sounds
Polyphony of 256 notes
Resonance of fall of dampers
Resonance of strings
Resonance by sympathy
6 Reverberation settings + chorus + brilliance (+ IAC acoustic control of room)
Dual function and layer (sound overlay)
Split function (keyboard sound cutting in 2)
Metronome
Accompaniment rhythm system: 20
Transposer (with fine tuning + historical temperaments)
Recorder
303 music executives (download partition by iPad)
Stereophonic optimization
Wireless connection iPad (optional interface)
New LCD interface
New CSP
Recorder 16 tracks
Audio on USB
Amplification 2 x (35W + 35W + 35W) with 3-way speakers (with speaker block)
Dimensions: W 146mm x D 459mm x H 927mm Weight: 58 Kg
Finishes: Satin Black Walnut, with extra black gloss
The YAMAHA CLAVINOVA CLP685 digital piano is available in 2 finishes: CLP-685B satin black, with extra charge: CLP-685PE black lacquered
Guarantee 5 years after registration on the site of YAMAHA FRANCE

YAMAHA CLAVINOVA CLP-675
The high-end YAMAHA: the YAMAHA CLAVINOVA CLP675 digital piano, in our opinion after testing the CLP675, one of the best digital pianos in demonstration. YAMAHA know-how is there.

The keyboard is heavy touch with simulation of the exhaust on each key.
Each key has a graduated weight linearly as in a real grand piano
The NWX Keyboard (wooden) has white keys with synthetic ivory top
New GH3X Mechanical for even more precise gameplay

6 touch settings for the comfort of each player
Each key is individually sampled
New sound modeling system (VRM system)
The piano CLP675 has 2 sounds of concert pianos: Pianos CFX YAMAHA and Bosendorfer Imperial
34 other sounds of pianos, electric pianos, vintage, jazz and liturgical organs ...
Polyphony is maximum 256 notes
Note that the piano also produces the resonances of fall of dampers + the resonance of the strings + the Resonance by sympathy
6 Reverberation settings + chorus + brilliance (+ IAC acoustic control of room)
Dual function and layer (sound overlay)
Split function (keyboard sound cutting in 2)
Metronome
Accompaniment rhythm system: 20
Transposer (with fine tuning + historical temperament)
Recorder
303 musical exercises to learn the piano (download partition by iPad)
20 rhythms to accompany and learn to improvise
Stereophonic optimization for headphones
Wireless connection iPad (optional interface)
New LCD interface
New CSP
Recorder 16 tracks
Audio on USB
Amplification 2 x 40W (HP + speaker blocks)
Sliding cover
Dimensions: W 146mm x D 459mm x H 927mm Weight: 58 Kg
Finishes: Satin black, satin white, rosewood and with supplement shiny black
The Yamaha CLAVINOVA CLP675 digital piano is available in several finishes: CLP-675B black satin finish, CLP-675WH matt white, CLP675R rosewood (rosewood) and with supplement: CLP-675PE black lacquered
Guarantee 5 years after registration on the site of YAMAHA FRANCE

Last edited by firstmithrandir; 03/14/17 12:35 PM.
A
A
Interesting! I looked at the specifications of the 625 and 635 from that french site, they are identical to the 525 and 535. So I think they just took the 500 series specs and put them there which is a bit stupid. I suppose we have to wait a few more days to find out what the updates are..

Adult beginner, playing since October 2016
Yamaha CLP-645 Soundcloud
B
B
Yea, they've just copy pasted the previous model descriptions and done a find and replace on the model numbers.

That or yamaha are taking the *&*£ smile

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
I think they drunk too much wine and mixed everything, old with new pianos wink

I did Å„ot found other sites with clp series. We have to wait for official Release. However, hoping for revolution may be too much wink

I think the new Clavinova release will follow the pattern that we've see from Yamaha before.

Here's the current CLP-585: [Linked Image]

The new CLP-685 might look like this: [Linked Image]

Major cosmetic improvements!
- Tail fins!
- Chrome strips!
- Scroll work!
I'm so excited. smile

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
If it looks like that, sign me up. shocked

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Me to heheh.
And we will see probably NWXII action and counterweight will still be available in the most expensive model...

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
<deleted, did not realize we know nothing yet>

Last edited by Hendrik42; 03/15/17 02:16 PM.

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Is it safe to assume there will also be an updated cp4? Maybe cp6 or something, as that's due an upgrade like the clp series as I'm sure they were all released early 2014.

F
F
Current model comparison: CLP-585 CLP-575 CLP-545 CLP-535 CLP-525
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...2_437968_437969_579581_&mode=compare
Other nice table:
http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=68572

And current CLP vs CVP: CLP-585 CLP-575 CVP-705 CVP-709 CVP-609 CVP-605
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...2_437968_437969_579581_&mode=compare

As for me I will try to look for CVP-709 model as it replacement will come on Q3 or more probably next year. I would like to have VRM and nice church organs voices. CVP-709 have more nicer voices ones than CVP-705 model. There is small pity that with CLP-585 one gets much more voices than with CLP-575 model and I do not think that it will change at CLP -6xx series.

There are already start to be a nicer prices on some pianos. I have not seen in Germany too much CLP-575 or CLP-585 models at after sale. I do not think that there are too many of them on the market and if people get one they keep them for longer. For other models I saw following prices for used pianos (black matte or bronze):
CVP-701 - 1900 EUR / USD
CVP-705 - 3900 EUR / USD
CVP-609 - 3900 EUR / USD - excellent price, if it has VRM I would go for it.
CVP-709 - 6000 EUR / USD (6200 EUR for PE glossy version used for one month, I should bought this one, shop price is 8200 EUR)

I have to find some better search pages at which I can look for this instruments across whole Europe. Now I have a good pages working well for Germany.

T
T
If you can find a CVP 709 for 6000 euros - get it! You won't regret it.

Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission