2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
OP Offline
G
What's your favourite piece that you learned in your first two years playing? Not sure how far people would have got in that time, maybe grade 4 and below, grade 5 at a push. Classical, or possibly a film soundtrack style.

I've been working hard on a couple of pieces and am looking for some things that I could get up to speed in a shorter space of time. And also because we have friends visiting in a month and it would be good to play them something easier and not worry about messing it up. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That must be Bach's Menuet AHN 114

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Over the Rainbow from the Wizard of Oz was the first song I learned and remains one of my favorites.

As with many songs with lyrics, there are easy arrangements and not so easy arrangements. I did block chords plus simple melody. It still sounds good to me played that way after five years.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by GoldmanT
What's your favourite piece that you learned in your first two years playing? Not sure how far people would have got in that time, maybe grade 4 and below, grade 5 at a push. Classical, or possibly a film soundtrack style.
The ABRSM Grades are approximately one a year. Younger starters might need to add the Preliminary Grade for their first year.

I've been working hard on a couple of pieces and am looking for some things that I could get up to speed in a shorter space of time. And also because we have friends visiting in a month and it would be good to play them something easier and not worry about messing it up. smile
If time is of the essence this little morsel shouldn't take long. It falls well under the fingers and sounds harder than it is. I think it's a Grade 2 piece.

If you get each 4-bar phrase memorised and up to speed quickly before moving on to the next the transitions shouldn't trouble you at all. If each phrase takes more than a few minutes to memorise and master this is not the piece for you, in which case, what other pieces are you working on or what pieces have you recently mastered?

Richard
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by zrtf90
The ABRSM Grades are approximately one a year. Younger starters might need to add the Preliminary Grade for their first year.

If time is of the essence this little morsel shouldn't take long. It falls well under the fingers and sounds harder than it is. I think it's a Grade 2 piece.

If you get each 4-bar phrase memorised and up to speed quickly before moving on to the next the transitions shouldn't trouble you at all. If each phrase takes more than a few minutes to memorise and master this is not the piece for you, in which case, what other pieces are you working on or what pieces have you recently mastered?

That's a lovely little piece.
Putting on a tuxedo and presenting the title before playing, should impress on most guests.

Will do some R&B for a while. Give the classical a break.
You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
G
OP Offline
G
Can't see the piece in the post above until I get home (presume it's embedded video) but have been working on Rona Alla Turca, Blue Rondo a la Turk (coincidence!) and a few Chopin Preludes. So maybe grade 4 or lower, really just as long as it sounds nice (and a little advanced harmony, more romantic than baroque) it'll do me. So many piece recommendations are about advancing technique and I specifically want to avoid that and just enjoy playing something for a change!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Like johan, I enjoyed learning BWV 114. BWV 115 is nice too.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
The Chopin Preludes remain among my favorites. You wouldn't go wrong playing one or two of these for your visitors.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I'm looking at what you're working on but I still have no idea where you are with them or what you've finished recently. Alla Turca and "a few" Chopin Preludes would put you around Grade 6. I'll assume they're suitable material for you and that you'll be memorising your recital piece within the month.

I'm wondering what your previous pieces are and why they wouldn't be suitable.

The embedded video was Haydn's Sonata Hob XVI/8, 4th Movement, Allegro.

You might like to look at Grieg's Watchman's song, Op. 12/3, Schumann's Erster Verlust, Op. 68/16 or his Trauemerei, Op. 15/6, if you prefer a more advanced harmony. These are all only a few phrases and very memorable within a month.

If you're into syncopation Gliere's Le Soir, Op. 43/5, is easy to memorise or Delius' Waltz for a Little Girl. They're both harmonically adventurous for their level.

These pieces are all immediately playable, assuming the syncopation doesn't stall you, without any mechanical difficulties and well within a month's work going by the pieces you're currently working on.

Richard
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Can't see the piece in the post above until I get home (presume it's embedded video) but have been working on Rona Alla Turca, Blue Rondo a la Turk (coincidence!) and a few Chopin Preludes. So maybe grade 4 or lower, really just as long as it sounds nice (and a little advanced harmony, more romantic than baroque) it'll do me. So many piece recommendations are about advancing technique and I specifically want to avoid that and just enjoy playing something for a change!

Well, it really depends on what you're able to handle technically. Not everyone develops the same abilities in the same order. For instance, can you easily do large stretches? How about an arpeggio over a couple of octaves? Large jumps?

Here are some "nice sounding" pieces that I have learned in my first two years, but keep in mind that YMMV.

Anna Magdalena Bach pieces (114, 115, 116, 132, but any one in that notebook will be nice)
Bach prelude in C (BWV 846)
Moonlight sonata 1st mvt.
Chopin A minor waltz (posth. B 150)
Tchaikovsky "The Sick Doll" (op.39 no. 7)
Satie Gnossienne 1
Satie Gymnopedie 1

G
OP Offline
G
I got to grade 5 organ many years ago and played guitar off and on since then - only started piano again in January and haven't quite got any existing pieces so solid that I'd want to play them in front of people (not without a whisky first, either for me or for them).

A few of those pieces sound nice but not quite what I'm looking for - even went through the ABRSM lists and it was only a few from the List Cs that caught my attention. Probably the best bet is to go through the Chopin Preludes/Etudes and see if there's something not too long or tricky that sounds impressive.

Cheers,

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Early on, I had a lot of fun playing The Siamese Cat Song and then Rubber Ducky from this Hal Leonard anthology:

https://smile.amazon.com/Best-Childrens-Songs-Ever-Author/dp/B010BECO58/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1489537352&sr=8-7&keywords=best+children%27s+songs+ever

There are some other good ones too.

Learner
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

"Whispering" -- the Paul Whiteman hit from 1920. Still in my book today.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My first Beethoven German Dance in original form. Great piece, as well as a great early milestone...

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I have only been playing 23 months, but, my favorite has been Alexandre Tansman's Final (Conclusion). I submitted it in pretty good form (for me, anyway) for the November, 2016 ABF Recital, and have been improving it through daily playing ever since. I don't anticipate dropping this one in the forseeable future.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
X
X
Scriabin poem op 32 no 1 , underrated piece for sure.

Last edited by xSense; 03/15/17 08:52 PM.
M
M
If the audience are not piano aficionados you can't go wrong with Fur Elise wink

August Förster 190
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
I got to grade 5 organ many years ago and played guitar off and on since then - only started piano again in January and haven't quite got any existing pieces so solid that I'd want to play them in front of people (not without a whisky first, either for me or for them).

A few of those pieces sound nice but not quite what I'm looking for - even went through the ABRSM lists and it was only a few from the List Cs that caught my attention. Probably the best bet is to go through the Chopin Preludes/Etudes and see if there's something not too long or tricky that sounds impressive.

Cheers,

Hi Goldman
I come from an exact opposite background as you -- I started first with piano and then added the organ. Certainly you have a Head start in learning the piano, but I do want to caution you that the in learning the piano, but I do want to caution you that the technique is so different between the two that you do not want to be impatient with yourself and make too many assumptions The Chopin études are completely out of the question, and there are very few preludes that you can handle right now They really are much more difficult to play well than they look. Look at Numbers four, six and 20

Since you have a strong Organ background, have you considered starting with Bach on the piano? That would give you enough similarities and also highlight the differences between the two instruments

Again I do not want to diminish your enthusiasm and I hope I haven't done that. I just want to encourage you to be patient so that you can make it through the long journey without getting discouraged and quit

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My two absolute favourites were Arabesque by Burgmuller, and an easy arrangement of Scott Joplin's The Entertainer. I was about 7 and they impressed my rellies no end!

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Debussy: The girl with the flaxen hair. ( if I wrote it in french it would be illegible)

What is the piece you had the hardest time with in the first two years:

Bach Invention for me.

Last edited by Isabelle1949; 03/18/17 10:26 AM.

Always working to improve "Chopsticks". I'll never give up on it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission