Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
55 registered members (cmb13, bounced, 36251, camperbc, bwv872, Chrispy, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 641 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
You never know what folks are going to like... or not. #2622757 03/11/17 05:56 PM
Rickster Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Never in a million years would I have imagined that my YT music video, "An old upright piano adventure; the saloon sound", would have received over 2,000,000 views! (2,000,635 and counting)

It just goes to show that when it comes to playing the piano, whether the piano or the player, or the genre of music, you never know what folks are going to like, or not like. It's a big surprise to me every time I think about it...

Initially, I thought it was one of the worst music videos I ever recorded and uploaded to YouTube, just for fun. I'm not that good of a piano player and the piano in the video is old and warn out, and, well, sounds like an old saloon piano. smile

But for some reason, a lot of folks seem to like watching the video. Not sure if it's the appeal of the term "saloon piano" or my strong southern accent, or the honest and genuine expression of the fun and enjoyment I was experiencing while I was recording that video at the time, or a combination of it all.

Either way, I cherish the thought of having helped to put a smile on a lot of people's faces. And, based on some of the comments I've received, inspired some folks to want to learn to play the piano. On the other hand, not everyone who has watched the video liked it. Not sure why they watched it. But I've received some very nasty and negative comments. One person said it was a sad day when I was born into the world... ouch! smile

But when you record your playing and put it on the internet, you open yourself up to lots of criticism as well as complements. Of course, I realize that the video has more entertainment value than musical value; but that's okay too. Maybe what I lack in musical skill (which is a lot) I make up for with entertainment skills. wink

Oh yea, and for the record, this thread is not meant to be a promotion of the video in any way; just thought I'd share some of my excitement with all my PW friends.

Moral of the story? Learning to play the piano, (any piano), and sharing our music with others is a lot of fun! smile

All the best,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: You never know what folks are going to like... or not. [Re: Rickster] #2622761 03/11/17 06:16 PM
J
Jeanne W Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Hi, Rick.

I LOVE your video! You are absolutely having fun and so was I watching you play. I, too, love that tiger wood case. That's beautiful wood.

Thank you for posting it and for sharing it with us here on Pianoworld!

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8776.html#000000
Re: You never know what folks are going to like... or not. [Re: Rickster] #2622774 03/11/17 06:48 PM
R
Retsacnal Online Content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content

4000 Post Club Member
R
2 million! That's incredible! thumb
I remember when it was approaching "only" 1 million.

Count me among the folks who enjoy the video.

"If it sounds good, it is good." - Duke Ellington
P E R F O R M A N C E over p r o v e n a n c e
Re: You never know what folks are going to like... or not. [Re: Rickster] #2622778 03/11/17 06:53 PM
D
DiarmuidD Offline
D
Well you put a smile on my face. Again. That's as iconic a western bar-room piano as I've ever heard. You should sell it to a film studio.

Re: You never know what folks are going to like... or not. [Re: Rickster] #2622785 03/11/17 07:30 PM
Rickster Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the comments and the complements!

And, DiarmuidD, ironically, I've been offered as much as $5000 for the piano. But I sold it for a whopping $100 after recording that video and having a lot of fun with it for about a year. And, the older gentleman who bought it was thrilled with it.

Unfortunately, all my current pianos are in tune... smile

I haven't recorded or posted any new music videos on YT in a while; but I am working on a new, original boogie-woogie tune called "Contemporary Boogie". I've also taken a liking to some of James Brown's music, which you don't hear much played on the piano. I'm working on "I feel good", by James Brown....

I wonder if there is a demand for "Back-woods-hillbilly-funk-soul piano"? grin

Thing is, I always liked James Brown's "I feel good". It makes you feel good just playing it and singing it... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: You never know what folks are going to like... or not. [Re: Rickster] #2622833 03/11/17 10:11 PM
R
Retsacnal Online Content

4000 Post Club Member
Online Content

4000 Post Club Member
R
James Brown was from my hometown, and, as luck would have it, good friends with some good friends of mine. It wasn't unusual for "Mr. Brown," as he was known around town, to drop by unexpected, sometimes alone, and sometimes with an entourage. I was there on a few occasions over the years when he dropped in, and it was always a treat.

Believe it or not, he could play the piano like nobody's business! He was also a genuinely friendly and considerate person. Anyway, I'm sure he'd feel good to know that someone was playing his songs on the piano.

Re: You never know what folks are going to like... or not. [Re: Rickster] #2623160 03/12/17 11:42 PM
Maximillyan Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
We are watch your TV, Rick!
We are like it's too!

Re: You never know what folks are going to like... or not. [Re: Rickster] #2623245 03/13/17 10:09 AM
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Rick,

It's a hoot, so people like it. And it's genuine, something lacking in today's world.

Gary
Essex EUP-111 at the mountains
W. Hoffmann T-122 at the beach
Re: You never know what folks are going to like... or not. [Re: Rickster] #2623256 03/13/17 10:52 AM
R
RickG1 Offline
R
You know I am one of your fans, Rick! Your humbleness and enthusiasm is delightful. I think you are a great entertainer and love your style. You are braver than me. I have never purposely posted any of my playing on Youtube and other than others doing little clips at church or here at home that others have posted, I have never recorded anything to be put on the Internet. And I am considered a "professional". LOL

Keep up the good work and your piano collection. :-)

Mason-Hamlin "A" and Schlicker 2 manual and pedal pipe organ
Re: You never know what folks are going to like... or not. [Re: Rickster] #2623258 03/13/17 10:57 AM
rocket88 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Excellent, Rick!

Piano teacher.
Re: You never know what folks are going to like... or not. [Re: Rickster] #2623296 03/13/17 12:11 PM
G
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
A sunny disposition (in our case, Rickster) wins hearts and minds smile Gotta go smile some more!

Re: You never know what folks are going to like... or not. [Re: Rickster] #2623316 03/13/17 12:51 PM
K
Keith D Kerman Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Rickster that is entertaining and charming, congratulations on all the views! If you want tips on how to get around 100 views for a piano video on YouTube, I can help.

1 International competition winning pianist
2 Super difficult hyper virtuosic piece played fantastically well
3 200k + Piano perfectly prepped, custom etc
4 Professionally recorded
5 Profit!

For anyone here wanting to see how it is done to get literally dozens of YouTube views, go to https://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel/videos lolololololol!!!! :P:P:P:P:P:P

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
Rebuilding & Sales - vintage and used Steinway, Mason & Hamlin
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Baldwin
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Re: You never know what folks are going to like... or not. [Re: Rickster] #2623344 03/13/17 02:04 PM
L
LindebladPiano Offline
L
I enjoyed watching the video. Thanks for sharing and letting me add to your number of views. Also, Keith, nice job with your videos and appreciate your advice on getting views on youtube smile

Todd Lindeblad
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
todd@lindebladpiano.com
www.lindebladpiano.com
Re: You never know what folks are going to like... or not. [Re: Rickster] #2623354 03/13/17 02:26 PM
Rickster Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Keith D Kermin
Rickster that is entertaining and charming, congratulations on all the views! If you want tips on how to get around 100 views for a piano video on YouTube, I can help.

1 International competition winning pianist
2 Super difficult hyper virtuosic piece played fantastically well
3 200k + Piano perfectly prepped, custom etc
4 Professionally recorded
5 Profit!

For anyone here wanting to see how it is done to get literally dozens of YouTube views, go to https://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel/videos lolololololol!!!! :P:P:P:P:P:P

Thanks again for the kind words, All!

And, Keith, I've thought about your tips on how to get lots of views on YT from piano recordings/videos. And, it's a mystery to me. Some of my other music videos I uploaded to YT, which I thought were much better than "An old upright piano adventure; the saloon sound", have not received nearly as many views. So, I'm with you there...

When you figure it out, please let me know. smile

By-the-way, I really enjoyed watching your music videos!

Hence, there is a lot of truth in the title of my thread; you never know what folks are going to like, or not, and there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason. smile

Rick

Re: You never know what folks are going to like... or not. [Re: Rickster] #2623647 03/14/17 01:28 PM
HJKMusic Offline
Wow, 2 million views.. That's amazing. I'm also trying to build up a Youtube channel and I would love one of my video's to blow up like that!

I think your video did so well because it is just this man (you) who is extremely happy playing a very old piano.
The music itself isn't even necessary spectacular. It's how you played it.
You played it like it was nothing and you played it with a smile! People love that!

Also this is just one of many videos you uploaded, so you really put in the necessary work to deserve something like this. That gets rewarded. wink

And in the end you also need a bit of luck to get a video like this.
Anyway, you did a great job and created a viral video!

Play it like you mean it!
You can find my songs here:
HJKMusic on Facebook
HJKMusic on Youtube
Re: You never know what folks are going to like... or not. [Re: Rickster] #2623678 03/14/17 02:42 PM
R
Retsacnal Online Content

4000 Post Club Member
Online Content

4000 Post Club Member
R
My brother has posted a few videos online accompanying himself singing on the guitar. They have a few thousand views.

I'd say two-million and counting makes you a youtube sensation! Or a youtube star! thumb

Re: You never know what folks are going to like... or not. [Re: Rickster] #2623699 03/14/17 03:52 PM
Rickster Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
My brother has posted a few videos online accompanying himself singing on the guitar. They have a few thousand views.

I'd say two-million and counting makes you a youtube sensation! Or a youtube star! thumb

Thanks, Randy, and All!

Not sure I'm a YT sensation or a star, and I'm still stunned and surprised at all the YT views. I guess a lot of YT viewers just enjoy the video for some reason; I think, mostly, because it makes them smile. smile

I played the piano for a program at the small community college where I teach a couple of weeks ago, and played Louis Armstrong's "When you're smiling, when you're smiling, the whole world smiles with you". smile

Of course, not everyone likes the video or me. Like I said, I've received some very nasty comments. But, "you can't please everyone" (Ricky Nelson, "Garden Party").

I think HJKMusic has it right... I just got lucky with this music video.

But, hey, I still like to be liked... :-)

Rick

Re: You never know what folks are going to like... or not. [Re: Rickster] #2623774 03/14/17 07:00 PM
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well, I jut put "saloon piano" in the google, and guess what came up at the very, very top?

Gary
Essex EUP-111 at the mountains
W. Hoffmann T-122 at the beach
Re: You never know what folks are going to like... or not. [Re: Rickster] #2623787 03/14/17 07:25 PM
F
FrankCox Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Even google loves him!

And success leads to success in that regard. I suspect lots of folks will seek out more of his videos after watching that.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
Re: You never know what folks are going to like... or not. [Re: Rickster] #2624275 03/16/17 12:54 PM
S
SoundThumb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Rick,
There is no mystery here. Your video tells a story and feeds everyone's fantasy...

"Gee, for just $75 and a little practice maybe I could play like that."

That makes it a great video. I love it.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai K18
by J20 - 01/24/20 06:04 PM
What pieces do you think I have the abilities for?
by iaintagreatpianist - 01/24/20 04:02 PM
Free Westwood Felt piano VST
by sleutelbos - 01/24/20 02:20 PM
serious problem with Clavinova clp635
by saeedrff - 01/24/20 02:10 PM
Brahms Op. 21 no 1 for audition
by D959 - 01/24/20 11:40 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,491
Posts2,916,774
Members95,719
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission