2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
AB99 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
recommendaions?

Kawai MP11 - best piano and strings sound? Something better?

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
FWIW (I don't have either a recording studio or an MP11) --

I would be surprised if the sounds built into the MP11 would be better than, or even "as good as", a good software piano "sample library", or the many string-section sample libraries (and modelled strings -- e.g. AAS "String Studio").

I recognize that using software instruments has its own problems. But you did say "best piano and strings sound", without any limits.

And I might be biased, as well as ignorant.

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 03/12/17 05:19 PM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Depends what is most important to you. IMHO it's a lot more difficult to find one's best compromise for piano sound/touch vs a real acoustic grand than for other sounds, even strings. So if you prefer the Kawai MP11, use it and as mentioned MIDI it to your favorite strings module or sample library.

OTOH, if you give equal importance to piano and strings, Kurzweil have excellent sounds for both. I personally now use a Kronos-2, on which I can add third party libraries to the Korg sounds.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Do you want realistic string/orchestral sounds, or nice string sounds for use in a band setting?

Generally, if you're going to make an album of solo piano with strings layered in there, you want them to sound like real string players. This is where virtual instruments would be best. In a studio setting, you can record the software strings and then massage the MIDI to make it sound quite realistic and beautiful.

Personally, I think making a recording using a string sound on a DP will sound like just that - you won't fool anyone into thinking they're strings. However, if you are making great music, no one will care.

If I were to use a DP or keyboard for a string sound, I'd pick something with a lot of options for strings available. The MP11 only has a few to choose from, which are very nice, but it's limited and may not suit all applications. Using the MP11 as a controller of a keyboard, module, or software might be best.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I also agree with this. 100%. For your money the virtual libraries are the best and you have lot of to choose from. Some of those are also sold for keyboards like Korg Kronos (as it is basically a x86 motherboard running linux) but they are costly, and Kronos is another can of worms.~~~~
The Kurtzweil used to have most listenable strings and orchestra, but still it is no match for the Virtual Instruments. And most of them have awful keyboard.

As for hardware keyboard if you insist: I have Roland FA08 and can very much recommend it as an 88 piano action keyboard with an incredible amount of high quality sounds. The expansions are now free and you have a whole sets just for orchestra and strings - hundreds of tones of each category. And the SN sounds being the newest generation from their Integra module you are sure it is the best sound roland has at its disposal at this moment. But again, same thing apply with comparison to Virtual Instruments. A good virtual instrument will smoke roland for breakfast.

Last edited by oscar1; 03/12/17 11:12 PM.

Casio PX-860, Roland Fantom G, Kurzweil PC1X, Korg Micro X
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Yeah, for a good orchestral\chamber mockups the better contemporary virtual instruments are the best, but I'm still struggling to find some good orchestral virtual instruments playable on a live keyboard setup.

There are some great playable VIs for some single instruments, most of them are keyboard instruments, and you have to buy seperately each one - great virtual pianos, harpsichord, pipe organs, electric organs, electric pianos, etc.

But for other instruments, all the VIs I'm familiar with, were designed for MIDI productions usage, to give realistic results.
But when you play keyboard you don't need realistic sound with many articulation, you just need a few nice sounding strings\brass patches which is very playable on keys, but it's really OK if it sounds like synth eventually - because that is what it is!

Korg Kronos is a great example: it has amazing built in VIs designed particularly for keyboard playing.
Unfortunatly, I have yet to encounter any high end VIs bundle which is capable to compete with something like the Korg Kronos.

K
K
If you can add an expression pedal or breath controller to your workflow on a keyboard, or can get used to using a wind controller (akai ewi/yamaha wx/roland ae-10) samplemodeling has some solo instruments that are very playable and can give pretty great results.

A
AB99 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Maybe the VCp1 with piano/string libraries in the computer makes the most sense. One would think by now that someone could get the best of these piano and string samples in a hardware unit by now. It is not like memory is that expensive! But I should have mentioned that a piano action as good as the MP11 is important to me as well.

P
P
Originally Posted by AB99
One would think by now that someone could get the best of these piano and string samples in a hardware unit by now.

One would think, but one would be wrong.

But if you want to wait for it to happen, you can. Wait, and wait, and wait.

Otherwise, pick the controller of your dreams and hook it up to a fast computer to which you can add new and revised sounds as they are released. This IS the way to go for recording.

Hardware innovation is mostly done. Workstations are now bought by gigging musicians and as such they don't need the best piano sound nor the most pristine orchestra. Nobody is going to hear it on the stage. They need a reliable and easy to access instrument. Sound is secondary.

People who really need the best orchestra sound spend thousands on the 50GB libraries and sit at home or studio with a midi keyboard, computer, yerba mate tea and mouse. (And then they send the final sheets to the real orchestra.
This is the way things are now and going to be for years to come.

Casio PX-860, Roland Fantom G, Kurzweil PC1X, Korg Micro X
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Didn't know, that Korg Kronos is running on Linux. Maybe that's not a bad idea. Linux is lighter on resources than at least Windows, and with a OS in the backend, a digital piano has almost become a mini computer. Not sure if I can skip the almost in the sentence before, or not!

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
A
AB99 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Well - I went with the Roland RD2000. Not an easy decision. Maybe the weight made a difference - plus the idea that it will have access to a sounds library which may be helpful.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by AB99
recommendaions?

Kawai MP11 - best piano and strings sound? Something better?

Probably for both purposes, software instruments will give best recordings at reasonable cost. Garritan CFX has good review for the piano sound.

On-board sounds:

Historically, Yamaha orchestral sounds have been good (if we are talking on-board sounds). If I were looking for good string sounds, I'd check out the Montage 8: FM strings tend to be a bit warmer in character than PCM based sampling.

If you were doing more than just piano/strings in the studio on a regular basis, I'd suggest two instruments - Tyros 5 and a piano controller. The Tyros 5 has ensemble voice, which can turn your strings playing into an actual string quartet. The Tyros 5 is perhaps one of the best electronic arranger instruments ever made, but that's why it's hellishly expensive.

Tyros 5: Ensemble voice feature - strings

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
N
N
Originally Posted by hag01
Yeah, for a good orchestral\chamber mockups the better contemporary virtual instruments are the best, but I'm still struggling to find some good orchestral virtual instruments playable on a live keyboard setup.

Symphobia or the Essentials Series from Project Sam is great for this. These are more focused on complete orchestra sounds rather than only separate segments.
https://www.projectsam.com/Symphobia

Another option is Spitfire Audio - Albion Series.
http://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/ranges/albion/

Piano: Kawai MP11 / Yamaha upright accoustic
Recording: Cubase 11 Pro / Roland Octa-Capture 16x10 / Nektar Panorama P1
Main VST's: Kontakt 7 / Omnisphere 2 / Arturia V collection
F
F
Spitfire Albion One.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission