2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 12 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Alexander Borro
... I see many pianist have their foot positioned on the pedal even when never used, ...

This is good practice. Have your foot in light contact with the pedal in the up position, so that when you do need it, you don't make a tap sound.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
outo #2622886 03/12/17 04:22 AM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Thank you, Alexander. smile

I've watched videos, but pedalling is still not much in my method books (there'll be more in Thompson 2, it seems) so I'm not practicing and it's all a bit mysterious for me at the moment. I also bought a cheap brief book on it.

outo, I typed "pedalling" the first time I used it, but my automatic spellchecker must be American and it changed it...so I let it be.

Pedaling/Pedalling are both correct. It's one of those American/British differences. A page that explains how this is

Other similar examples are Labeling/Labelling -- Traveling/Travelling (Am/Br).

(Another page on the same topic of pedaling/pedalling, explained a bit differently here )

ped•al (ˈpɛd l; for 6 also ˈpid l)

n., v. -aled, -al•ing (esp. Brit.) -alled, -al•ling, n.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pedalling

Last edited by Albunea; 03/12/17 04:39 AM.
Albunea #2622889 03/12/17 04:42 AM
O
outo Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Albunea

Pedaling/Pedalling are both correct. It's one of those American/British differences.

Yeah, I realized it after I posted...I tend to mix between the two English languages a lot these days...

outo #2622915 03/12/17 07:43 AM
M
M
I spent a lot of time practicing waltzes the past year and in many of them, you see the left hand is supposed to make big jumps but there's no dotted (staccato) notation on them. So I'll practice both ways -- left hand waltz beat in staccato and left hand connected together using the pedal. And after a year of this, it's become natural now to use the pedal to extend single notes whenever the hand jumps or I need to a note repeat (double-tap on the pedal) or the hand has to hold down multiple keys while playing more.

outo #2622919 03/12/17 08:27 AM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
One of the things I discovered from watching the videos, was that the damper pads working together, can be used to seemingly completely dampen a set of high strings while a low bass string can keep on ringing without a significant reduction in volume.
I haven't seen this clearly demonstrated before, and still have to hear somebody explain why.
So, I have to try to explain it myself.

How I think it works, is that the low bass string has more significant mass and it requires more energy to reduce it's vibration.
Also which may be even more significant is, that it gets it's damper applied much further away from the maximum of it's vibrating node.
In contrast to the higher strings, where the damper pads are applied only slightly to the side, or even right on to the maximum node of vibration.
Also, the mass of each individual unison ringing high treble string has a significantly lower mass than a low bass string, and so it requires less energy to stop that vibration.

I see this as one of the things that will hold back any type of simulated acoustic piano, from being a real "threat" to a large grand piano well into the distant future.
just adding in various amounts of sampled damped sound doesn't cut it, because of phase problems and other issues.

Will do some R&B for a while. Give the classical a break.
You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RaggedKeyPresser
That's when it helps to play only what you want to hear.

I've actually been playing for 1½ year without using the sustain pedal at all.

But that depends of course on what material you play.

And whether you play acoustic or digital. Digital invariably requires more pedal. There are nothing like the resonances on a digital, and the pedal helps things along a lot.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
peterws #2622985 03/12/17 12:48 PM

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
And whether you play acoustic or digital. Digital invariably requires more pedal. There are nothing like the resonances on a digital, and the pedal helps things along a lot.

Why don't the makers just turn up the default resonances?

8 Octaves #2623140 03/12/17 11:08 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by 8 Octaves
Why don't the makers just turn up the default resonances?

The majority of digitals use sampling technology where every key is recorded one at a time. There is no resonance built-in to the recorded sound. Computer logic can be used to combine samples to create resonance but I don't think any sample-playback product (whether hardware or software VST) manages to cover all permutations. So even if you wanted to just turn the volume up, it may not even recognize the 7 keys you are pressing down makes a specific sound/vibration.

This is why some people prefer modelled pianos (some Roland models, Pianoteq VST). It may not sound exactly like specific piano models you hear on a CD but when you press the pedals down, it acts very close to an acoustic. Using Pianoteq, holding a pedal down for an entire measure -- even if the score calls for it -- ends up overwhelming the sound so I've gotten into the practice of releasing a little with tiny taps to follow the notes.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission