2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 457 of 540 1 2 455 456 457 458 459 539 540
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Palmpirate, speedy recovery, you inspire us with your strength, and I hope MOYD 2017 isn't a complete miss for you.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Palmpirtate,

Sending you my best positive vibe and wishing you a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thinking of you palmpirate, and sending you good wishes and positive vibes for a successful surgery and smooth recovery

[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
At my piano lesson this week I butchered my Bach, but my teacher said my Mendelssohn represented a breakthrough. Being of a scientific mind, I told her it only counted if it was reproducible. smile Still, I was pleased with the compliment, especially after what I did to poor Herr Bach.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Stubbie
Being of a scientific mind, I told her it only counted if it was reproducible. smile

That's hilarious! laugh

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
@Stubbie, what Bach and what Mendelssohn are you doing?

The difference between dreams and reality is action.
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Worked with my duet partner yesterday and we are making progress!!! So much fun!!!

Always working to improve "Chopsticks". I'll never give up on it.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
... Being of a scientific mind, I told her it only counted if it was reproducible. smile ...

My teacher always laughs when I report a percentage.

Learner
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I got a new teacher this week. Imagine my shock when after hearing me play she pulled out the RCM Level 7 and Level 8 books and asked me to pick something. I don't feel like I'm anywhere close to that level! eek

Sometimes we feel like we've plateaued at a certain level and then we realize after a while that the plateau is more of a gradual slope and that we've made a ton of progress. Well, that's how I feel now. smile

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
... Being of a scientific mind, I told her it only counted if it was reproducible. smile ...

My teacher always laughs when I report a percentage.
I started to tell my teacher it was an N = 1, but "N of one" usually gets heard something like "enovwon" and then there's a lot of explaining to do. smile

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cathryn999
@Stubbie, what Bach and what Mendelssohn are you doing?
The Bach is the Allemande from French Suite No. 6 and the Mendelssohn is May Breezes, Op. 62 no. 1, from Songs Without Words. For the Bach, the fingering needs to be just so, but I had a hard time figuring out and sticking to a fingering for the Mendelssohn. I have a new newly assigned Mendelssohn, Elegy, Op. 85 no. 4. It's beautiful and, bonus, the fingering seems more straightforward.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Haha Stubbie!

"enovwon" would be a great user id!

Learner
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Isabelle, the duet does sound like fun. Is it just for fun (and enrichment) or are you going to perform it for a group?

Qazsedcft, it's always a buzz when you get reinforcement that you're making progress. Congrats!

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
After some challenges with triplets over quarter notes, I finally made progress to end of page 2 of Debussy arabesques 1..with slow practice in play. So happy. Working on right hand fingering on first 4 measures on page 3...; Chopin nocturne 9.2, finally both hands for first 5 measure...slow practice...ha. Doesn't seem a lot if measured in number of measures, but significant for me and before next lesson. With e-recitals in play, plus a ravel that teacher wants me to tackle. I think I may do a staycation soon...🤗

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Over the last week or so, I went back to finish up the remaining pieces in my RCM, Level 1 books, which, I had neglected in recent months in favor of more advanced pieces by Tansman, Gillock, and some others. Last night I finished the final RCM Level 1 piece.

I enthusiastically opened the Level 2 Repertoire book, and started tinkering with a couple of pieces. To my great pleasure, they started yielding to me almost instantly. I was a bit shocked. I think my excursion through these other composers, more in the Romantic era mode, really helped me. I never doubted that those materials, especially Tansman, were more difficult, but, I had no idea by how much. I'm optimistic that I will progress through RCM Level 2 materials at a faster rate than I proceeded through Level 1. I'm very happy and excited about this. smile

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Ralph- what a great feeling! It is great when we start being able to recognize our progress in a concrete way.

I had another great lesson - yup, I'm on a roll for sure!

I played through the 1st movement of my new sonatina (Diabelli Op 168 N1) HT for the first part, HS for the second - but implementing the suggestions from last week rather well - I was happy, so was my teacher.

I also played Traumerei with the pedal and my teacher was pleased that I had a good sense of when and where to apply it - though he pointed out a few things I had missed.

Every week, for quite a while now, I've been feeling wonderfully satisfied with how the lessons unfold, and how I've been able to implement my teacher's feedback from one lesson to the next. I don't know how long this phase is going to last, but I am going to enjoy every moment of it.

I think one of the most important things that happened to me, internally, was that I finally, consciously, got to the point where I realized and accepted that the lesson is not a performance (well, 95% of the time). I've been able to separate the "demonstrating what I practiced" from the "ok, this piece is performance ready" moment that only happens at the end of the study period for a given piece.
That has helped me be so much calmer during lessons and lets me perform without worrying about errors or little glitches.
SwissMs posted about that and her message really hit home. So, thanks SwissMS!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I had a small AOTW I want to share. With some significant changes in my life over the past 12 months, I'm getting barely any time to practice, and I've been wondering how on earth I'll ever progress from here.

Today, being Saturday, I ignored the washing, the housework, and mowing the lawn, and instead managed to work my Mozart up from 70bpm to 90 bpm with only about another 10bpm to go. Woohoo!

I'm feeling confident I'll have this nailed for the EPP2017 (Bulgaria), yay!

The difference between dreams and reality is action.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Cathryn - that's a big leap in tempo! Good for you!

My ATOW doesn't come from any of the pieces I'm currently working on .

I was looking at my Diabelli OP 168 book and just flipping forward -- my experience has been that N1 and N2 in any given OP are easier and I was wondering what N3 would be like. I looked at the first movement and though...oh dear. Then the second movement...Hhmm. Not bad. 6/8 time, hmm, I started reading it and realized I could actually read both lines as if I were playing AND I could hear it in my head. Now, I don't really think I heard it exactly as it truly sounds, - but "close enough" - It's the first time I've read music "silently" like that to such effect.

I was very pleased.

Oh, and yes, my study pieces are coming along well too smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cathryn - That is a big leap in tempo. Good for you! which Mozart are you playing?

Casinitaly - Being able to hear a piece while reading the sheet music without playing it is a really valuable skill! It sounds like you are doing great.

I had my last "on the piano lesson" last Tuesday, and all of my pieces went very well. The teacher was very pleased with how my exam pieces are sounding, and she complemented my on my Beethoven, which I had not played in a lesson for a while. My AOTW was hearing that she felt my technique had really improved since we started lessons in January. That really made me happy!

I am taking theory and aural test lessons now, until my new piano can be delivered to our home. That will probably be two more weeks. frown However I am really enjoying the theory work, sight singing, and piece analysis that we do in lessons. It is like a crash course in music theory, and has led me to do more analysis of the pieces that I am playing. I am having a blast with it!

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Hello everyone! Nice topic)
I've finally understood that it's almost a year and a half since I've been playing piano, but I still got no peices learned)) I mean, entire pieces, not just a small parts, a dozens of measures etc. It's so hard to learn one piece from the beginning to the end when all these sonatas and etudes and scherzos I like are so difficult and long)) So, I found an easy way out - to be learned from the beginning to the end, a piece should be short)) I've chosen nice little piece by Scriabin and made my first video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIlpKWWVT-c

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

Page 457 of 540 1 2 455 456 457 458 459 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission