2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2623060 03/12/17 05:37 PM
D
OP Offline
D
I'm looking for an upgrade to my FP-30; my main gripe is the audio quality, and I'd like an action that feels more realistic and less unnaturally heavy. I've got a great piano-sized space behind a sofa and don't want anything too tall (no LX-17). I live in a first floor flat, so often use headphones or turn the volume down.

So I'm looking at the usual suspects, CS8, CA67/97, CLP-585, etc. But I'd welcome feedback and thoughts from owners on their experiences. In particular, I tried out the CA67 & CA97 yesterday, and had some questions:
  • they are loud! I loved the vibrations with the soundboard, but maybe my neighbours wouldn't. Does it carry more than sound from speakers? The CA97 was against a wall; does that make a difference?
  • I found the dynamics a bit too much; it got much louder when I pressed harder, the treble especially. So much that through headphones it was piercing and uncomfortable. It seems this is all adjustable - can I make it a bit more like the FP-30 (until I get used to it)? i.e. what settings should I use in the showroom to check I am comfortable with the sound?
  • The CS8 action felt slightly lighter, is that expected?

Unfortunately the only other pianos in the showroom were in the Steinway model-B class, so the DP didn't compare too well...

Next weekend I should be able to compare the Roland & Yamahas against each other.

FP-30. Pianoteq Stage into Naim/Spendor.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Have fun. I tried the Kawai, Roland and Yamaha as part of my search for new DP...my goal was to improve techniques and my piano friends that as a student, keyboard action was critical. This lead me to Kawai that had great action and heavier action feel. One advice I would like to share, is to make sure the dp is back at manufacturing setting. Your experiences sound like previous players may have adjusted the settings.

for me, is that my action control has improved tremendously since practicing on the Kawai . Search on forum for ca97, cs11, Roland, many great advice given that helped me on my search, Not notices as many Yamaha clp owners though.

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks - I'll get the instructions for the factory reset for my next visit.
Apart from speaker quality, getting an improved action is my other motivation. I find I pick up bad habits on finger technique on the FP-30. And I'm currently trying to use the Czerny exercises for finger strength, and find them harder on the FP-30 than various GPs (C Bechstein, Kawai, Bluthner).

On the DPs I actually like the action of the Casio Celviano best, but the GP-500 is ruled out for many other reasons. After that, I prefer GF-II > CLP-585 > CLP-575 & PHA-50, but the difference is not enormous.

FP-30. Pianoteq Stage into Naim/Spendor.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Given the examples you re looking at, you are getting really decent speakers. Sound was secondary for me, but not to say, I wasn't torn in the decision process. I have had my Kawai since last august, and no regrets at all. Yes, I noticed I was wasting time in my lessons with transition from Arius, great beginner DP, and acoustic upright in my lessons. Let us know what you chose in the end, and you will enjoy the new action and playing regardless of the model you choose, 🤗

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission