2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, 8 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
VTMama Offline OP
OP Offline
V
I've been looking for a starter piano my 7-year-old can learn on, and a neighbor recently offered us his 1969 Yamaha P2 Nippon Gakki for $500. This price would include bringing it to our curb. Not knowing anything about pianos, I wasn't sure if this was a good idea or no. I would welcome advice!

Here are the details I have on this instrument:

Quality Yamaha P2 Nippon Gakki upright piano. Really full and warm sound. Very nice. Probably manufactured in Japan, but this model was also manufactured in the USA. Serial number 894138. The serial number puts the year to 1969. It is well preserved, has some minor wear, some minor scratches near the music stand, but the keys are all still nice, firm, and the hammers well felted. I think the wood is walnut. The dimensions are: wdith 59", depth 24", height 44 1/2". The keyboard is 28 1/2" off the floor. There are 7 registers from a(dddd) to c'''''. It is on 4 double wheels and two strong people can easily lift it. The chair is 19" high, 30" wide, and 14" deep and contains a 2 1/2" deep box for music sheets.
The piano lists in the piano blue book between $1500-$1800. Of course it needs tuning after having been moved (around $150).

There are pictures of the piano here: EBay

What do you think?

Thank you for your time!

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
you did not mention if you play piano yourself, or if your child has a piano teacher. at a minimum, you should consult with someone who knows what a $500. piano should perform like, have her or him play it and check it out inside(especially) and out. keep in mind that two tunings with adjustments, regulation und so weiter could easily cost you another $500. this could be anything from a nice bargain starter piano, to something too close to its expiration date that your child gets no joy from learning music on it. you are doing something great for your kid, good luck.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
You should have this piano inspected by an independent technician prior to purchase, to make sure the major systems are in order and that it will hold a tuning. Otherwise, it could be promising. The two red flags I see from the pictures are what look like stains on the top of some of the hammers, and that it's being kept in a garage in Vermont, which is definitely not ideal.

If this is your maximum budget for a complete beginner, you may be better suited for a new, 88-key fully weighted digital piano setup in the $700-1200 price range instead. So long as you don't spill anything in it, your maintenance cost is essentially zero until it comes time to upgrade 3-5 years down the line (if at all). Economically, consider the total cost of ownership: help with moving, 1-2 tunings a year, whatever repairs come up, and little to no depreciation for the older Yamaha, vs. the purchase price of a new digital piano which will lose half its value in 5 years, but requires no maintenance and has a warranty for the first 1-5 years of ownership.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The Yamaha website says this was not made for the US market. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but it means it spent its youth in Japan probably and was brought over in a container load of used pianos. Most of these grey market pianos are in decent shape. You should be able to expect it to be serviceable at least as long as a digital piano given proper care.

Semipro Tech
V
VTMama Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Thank you everyone for your feedback! I played piano many years ago but it's been a good decade so I'm not sure how a piano should sound anymore. (This piano would probably be for me too.) It sounds like this piano may not be a good deal, though I will ask our son's piano teacher to take a look at it. $500 isn't our budget, it's just what our neighbor offered and sounded way better than the $2K price attached to other pianos the same age that have been offered to us. There isn't a piano store where we live so it's something of a maze to find an instrument. The nearest large piano store I've heard of is in Montreal, which is about 2 hours away from us here in northern VT.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission