Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
54 registered members (Angelos58, Carebear, cathryn999, Beowulf, beeboss, cliowa, Alex C, bennevis, Agent88, 11 invisible), 1,215 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Can anyone suggested Galaxy Vintage D settings? #2622210
03/10/17 10:11 AM
03/10/17 10:11 AM
Israel, Haifa
M
michaelvi Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
michaelvi  Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
M

Israel, Haifa
Hello all,
I am here again with my Vintage D saga...

I didn't want to continue another my thread because I am now in a very different situation:

With a new dedicated PC, freshly installed Windows with no software/drivers other than needed for piano I got Vintage D sounding ... well, much better than internal Casio's sound and even better than Pianoteq (in some aspects, not all).

But still this sound is very far from what I heard in many other Vintage D demos / recordings. Especially low notes sound too heavy and produce some echo.

At first I thought (probably naively) that I need to turn off all those "noises" - key release, hammer, damper, etc. While it did make sound cleaner it also made it too "synthetic". Looks like those "noises" are not just "fancies" but they should be there in certain portions if I want to get closer to a "real" piano (or may be not?).

Also there is "Tone", "Space", "Pads", "Articulation", "Tuning" in addition to "global presets"...
I just feel that I won't have enough time to try all possible permutations of all possible settings and I don't have right understanding how each of them actually affects sound. Sure I can try change each one and listen to result, but result is composite and it's hard for me to understand each setting's effect individually...

Ok, so what I want to ask is if anyone here who has Galaxy Vintage D (and likes it) can share their settings and/or suggest some ways to tune it. I don't want any "fancy" effects like have "an old totally destroyed piano" or "rain noise" and "audience breathing" layers. I want simple but rich sounding single piano layer. As much natural as it is possible with Galaxy Vintage D

Thank you very much!

Last edited by michaelvi; 03/10/17 10:14 AM.

Started 2016-01-29
Casio Privia PX-760 => Garritan CFX Lite, Ravenscroft 275 => Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 =>ATH-40mx, Sennheiser HD598, JBL LSR305
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Can anyone suggested Galaxy Vintage D settings? [Re: michaelvi] #2622219
03/10/17 10:59 AM
03/10/17 10:59 AM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

UK
I can't help you there Michael, but I hope you get what want. When I considered buying it, I opted for Ivory American D in the end. I do recall watching the tutorials though while I was swaying to an fro trying to decide between them. Just in case you missed them you may find it helpful, The vintage D is covered at some point in that video with classical in mind.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Re: Can anyone suggested Galaxy Vintage D settings? [Re: Alexander Borro] #2622225
03/10/17 11:17 AM
03/10/17 11:17 AM
Israel, Haifa
M
michaelvi Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
michaelvi  Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
M

Israel, Haifa
Originally Posted by Alexander Borro
I can't help you there Michael, but I hope you get what want. When I considered buying it, I opted for Ivory American D in the end. I do recall watching the tutorials though while I was swaying to an fro trying to decide between them. Just in case you missed them you may find it helpful, The vintage D is covered at some point in that video with classical in mind.

Thank you Alexander!
I watched that video but it mostly talks about two other pianos. Vintage D is briefly mentioned at the end and this guy plays with it but he doesn't unveil how he managed to get that sound, which btw is one of those recordings that I mentioned in my post. I would very much like to get that sound but I cannot...

Started 2016-01-29
Casio Privia PX-760 => Garritan CFX Lite, Ravenscroft 275 => Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 =>ATH-40mx, Sennheiser HD598, JBL LSR305
Re: Can anyone suggested Galaxy Vintage D settings? [Re: michaelvi] #2622328
03/10/17 03:00 PM
03/10/17 03:00 PM
T
Thomas B Offline
Thomas B  Offline
T

Hi Michael,

Vintage D is the only piano sound I play and I use it pretty much out of the box with the preset "Basic Grand". I added the "Silent Key" articulation in Vintage D and some compression and reverb in MainStage. Depending on the song I adjust the tone color, but only slightly - e.g. for a pop song at 1 o'clock for a ballad at 11 o'clock.

What are the current settings that you like best?

Regarding the sound of other recordings: these are normally compressed which changes the sound quiet a bit (makes it sound louder/fatter). You can add compression e.g. in your DAW software or maybe even in the Kontakt player. Then there's also another truth that affects "sound": some people just play better. No matter how hard I tried, my teachers always sounded better than I do on the same instrument...

Thomas

(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater - Lowest Prices on Gear
Re: Can anyone suggested Galaxy Vintage D settings? [Re: Thomas B] #2622608
03/11/17 11:36 AM
03/11/17 11:36 AM
Israel, Haifa
M
michaelvi Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
michaelvi  Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
M

Israel, Haifa
Originally Posted by Thomas B
Then there's also another truth that affects "sound": some people just play better.

Absolutely! And I am taking it into account of course :-)
So I just recorded simple sequence of keys from C5 to C2. Here are MIDI file and 3 ways it sounds through 3 Vintage D settings:

C5-C2.mid

C5-C2 - Overtones and release off.wav

C5-C2 - Basic grand.wav

C5-C2 - Basic grand with silent key.wav

May I ask you to confirm that if you play C5-C2 on your installation you get more or less the same sound?

What are the current settings that you like best?

I don't have such settings. I can say what out of those 3 I dislike least - "Overtones and release off", which "by the book" is not a right setting. Indeed, in that youtube recording when that guy added release tones it made sound better. In my case it becomes worse (simple C5-C2 sequence)

And just in case simple exercise that I am playing now. Please don't blame me too much - I know that rhythm is destroyed and dynamic is far from what it should be, I am still working on this piece, but it mostly has simple key sequences, so I think how each individual key sounds is not seriously affected by my bad playing:

Spanish melody.mid

Spanish melody - Overtones and release off.wav

Spanish melody - Basic grand.wav

Spanish melody - Basic grand with silent key.wav

Started 2016-01-29
Re: Can anyone suggested Galaxy Vintage D settings? [Re: michaelvi] #2622738
03/11/17 05:16 PM
03/11/17 05:16 PM
T
Thomas B Offline
Thomas B  Offline
T

The sound is identical here. What you are hearing is the Vintage D :-)

The difference with overtones and release samples on/off is really subtle for me. I would definitely not be able to notice it when playing. If you like it better without release samples and overtones - leave them off, it does not do no harm.

What is lacking (also in comparison with the Youtube video) is the reverb. To add the reverb you can activate the space section e.g. with "Rec. Studio medium", send at 11 o'clock and you have a nice sounding piano for practice. For the impressive concert sound (as in the video) switch to the "Concert Hall" space and send at 2 o'clock (but I would not use that when practicing).

If you want to tweak further, but keep it simple I would:

1. use the colour knob to make the piano sound softer or brighter
2. use the space type ("Concert Hall", ...) and the send knob to get the right reverb
3. do not bother too much about any other settings - it is really fine tuning in my opinion

Your Spanish melody is already sounding nice - thanks for sharing!

One last tip: you can make the bass notes less prominent using the + sign on the tone section and adjust the low keys slider. However, keep in mind this is a concert grand and a real Steinway D has nice sounding bass notes :-)

Re: Can anyone suggested Galaxy Vintage D settings? [Re: Thomas B] #2622762
03/11/17 06:18 PM
03/11/17 06:18 PM
Israel, Haifa
M
michaelvi Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
michaelvi  Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
M

Israel, Haifa
The sound is identical here. What you are hearing is the Vintage D :-)

keep in mind this is a concert grand and a real Steinway D has nice sounding bass notes :-)

Thank you Thomas!
So I should probably conclude that I just need to get used to this sound (especially after >1 year practicing with Casio's internal one) and what I hear in other performances is actually performances (maybe post-processed)

Thank you very much for suggestions! I will try them...

Started 2016-01-29
Re: Can anyone suggested Galaxy Vintage D settings? [Re: michaelvi] #2622784
03/11/17 07:26 PM
03/11/17 07:26 PM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

UK
Good stuff Michael. Further to what Thomas was saying, interestingly I kind of viewed it in this way when I was going to reply earlier.

True, sure you can play with the slider to bring the bass notes down a bit, on the other hand I thought it may be worth experimenting a bit with the actual playing, in projecting a more powerful tone in the melody in particular.

I don't know the piece or have the sheet to say for sure, but as a piece of music in its own right I think you could play it a bit louder, in the right hand mainly. I did not check the midi file or anything to see what velocities you were hitting, but it sounds a bit dark muffled in timbre for that type of tune ... perhaps ... as if you are not accessing the louder brighter samples possibly. It could be just me though, I don't own the piano nor an expert, it is just how it comes across to me a little bit.

If you got a light touch for example you may wish to experiment listening back and playing around with the touch velocity curve, and then in that knowledge play it again and try to replicate that ( If you think it sounds better)

All the best. thumb

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Re: Can anyone suggested Galaxy Vintage D settings? [Re: Alexander Borro] #2622894
03/12/17 04:07 AM
03/12/17 04:07 AM
Israel, Haifa
M
michaelvi Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
michaelvi  Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
M

Israel, Haifa
Originally Posted by Alexander Borro
I think you could play it a bit louder, in the right hand mainly. I did not check the midi file or anything to see what velocities you were hitting, but it sounds a bit dark muffled in timbre for that type of tune ... perhaps ... as if you are not accessing the louder brighter samples possibly.

Thank you Alexander,

Yes this piece is supposed to be played in that "classical" way - melody in right hand (louder) and accompaniment in left hand. I almost achieved this when I played it with Casio's sound but when I started with Vintage D I intermediately understood that I need to change Casio's "touch response" from 2 to 3 - that's without any questions about Vintage D. So I need to change the way I played this piece for a quite a long time and probably I'll also need to tweak velocity curve for Casio - but that's I'm going to do only after I find correct "basic" setting. Also, this piece should be played much faster, which I also did with Casio and cannot yet do with new setup. But this looks like entirely different problem: it seems to me that my Focusrite's latency is not very good - when I play too fast I sometimes still hear previous note when I already want to hit next one. Or maybe this is again how it should be with "real" piano - a little "aftersound", and I just need to get used to it?

So, there are many things I need to do with my new setup and I really appreciate your help with determining directions to go...

Thank you very much!

Last edited by michaelvi; 03/12/17 05:20 AM.

Started 2016-01-29

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Success through failure: Thank you ABF
by Zilthy. 11/19/18 11:31 PM
Online lessons for advanced student viable?
by rach3master. 11/19/18 10:25 PM
Black Friday iOS Sales
by IosPlayer. 11/19/18 05:25 PM
Standard piano literature progression
by vetrano. 11/19/18 03:44 PM
Kawai CA87 key action noise in comparison
by Carebear. 11/19/18 02:11 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,423
Posts2,762,768
Members91,525
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission