Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
63 registered members (Angelos58, cfrederi, Beemer, Agent88, Beowulf, AZNpiano, AprilE, 12 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Nord Piano 3 v Roland RD-2000 Help me What to buy [Re: Dave Ferris] #2616140
02/19/17 05:46 PM
02/19/17 05:46 PM
Tennessee
B
brooster Offline
brooster  Offline
B

Tennessee
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
I've played both and prefer the RD2000.

After 4 years with the Nord pianos - NP88 & NP2- for me their overly bright and even clangy tone simply wore out my ears. The Nords record very realistically and can mirror that same effect when you are standing out front listening to them in the audience. But out on a gig, up close coming through my fairly high end speakers, I gave up trying to like them. It was simply ear fatigue coupled with constantly fighting the inferior action. Again, I tried very hard for 4 years to like them but finally felt relief when the CP4 came out and I was able to sell the NP2.

Also I can't justify paying 3K for anything with a Fatar action. Even though the NP3 is improved, I still find a clunkiness factor associated with it. And now it seems there are an inordinate amount of complaints from users about keyboard action noise on brand new units. Makes me wonder how the NP3 will play in a year or two down the road…even with light gigging. Sorry, for that kind of money, there should be no issues.

I've only spent 20 minutes on the RD2000 at NAMM, in less then ideal conditions. But I heard enough to feel it is their best DP and on par with the CP4 in the area of playability and player connection to the instrument. However the extra 10 lbs. over the Yamaha precludes me from considering it for gigging purposes.

Hello Dave,

Did the RD-2000 sound much different than the FP-90 and the current HP-LX series?

The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Nord Piano 3 v Roland RD-2000 Help me What to buy [Re: brooster] #2616151
02/19/17 06:24 PM
02/19/17 06:24 PM
Glendale, Ca.
D
Dave Ferris Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Dave Ferris  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D

Glendale, Ca.
I've never played that Roland home console model but did post my initial impression here already on the FP-90 & RD 2000 fwiw :

Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
They had about a half dozen RD2000s to play, no lines. Not good phones - Roland's own - but I've heard worse. Definitely better then the Fostex phones Nord were using.

The action - wow, very nice ! On par with the CP4 definitely (I stilll prefer the CFX sample on the CP4 though). And blows away the Nord piano 3 as far as playability. The player connection is the best I've ever experienced on a Roland keyboard , and yes better then the RD800. It also meshes well with the main V-Piano sample. And that sounds even in all the registers. No notes jumping out. Jazz single note lines felt / sounded smooth and phrases were easy to connect. Something I've always had problems with on all Roland pianos in the past.

Part of the bad -- I had to deal with a EDM/ DJ production 25 yards away that was ridiculously over the top LOUD. Luckily I came in on the tail end of it and only had to endure about 7 minutes.

I found the FP-90 to play but another electronic production was starting…of course at ear splitting volume level. So I just had a short play the FP-90 in less then ideal conditions compared to the RD2000 -- I liked the player connection better on the 2000 then the 90. It sounded crisper and an overall more sophisticated sound -- more of a Pro feeling and sounding keyboard where the 90 gave me the impression of a home hobbyist . Could be a better DAC in the 2000 ? You could somewhat tell the action was the same but the 2000 felt easier and more fun to play. To be fair I didn't spend all that long on the 90 -- I really wanted to get out of there at that point because of the sonic pollution.

I like the design of the 2000. I didn't try to lift it but the depth gives the keyboard a somewhat compact look. It didn't seem overly long either.

I didn't try any editing or any EP, pad or organ sounds. I did do a LH bass split with the Ac. bass. That's not on par with the CP4's but it's good.

I think everyone will highly dig this keyboard. thumb cool

I wrote that before being informed that the FP-90 doesn't include the V-Piano piano on the RD2000. That could be the main factor in my initial preference for the RD2000.

I highly wanted to like the FP-90 more because of the internal speakers but simply didn't. At least, again, on a short first play.

And I'm coming to this solely from the point of view of a pure Acoustic piano player , mainly Jazz fwiw. I don't care about midi , bluetooth, controller functions, any electric pianos or "other sounds".

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5
Re: Nord Piano 3 v Roland RD-2000 Help me What to buy [Re: Morodiene] #2616160
02/19/17 07:43 PM
02/19/17 07:43 PM
Sydney, Australia
S
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member
sullivang  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
S

Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I think sound-wise, Nord may win

Just listening to demos without playing them, yes, I certainly think the basic tone of the Nord sounds more authentic and natural than anything I've heard from the RD-2000 yet.

Greg.

Middle-aged Jeremy Clarkson acolyte.
Re: Nord Piano 3 v Roland RD-2000 Help me What to buy [Re: M Spin] #2616494
02/20/17 08:46 PM
02/20/17 08:46 PM
L
login Offline
login  Offline
L

The Nord piano is over priced. They use an action inferior to what Roland, Kawai and Yamaha offer at the same price.

As for the sound it is subjective, I like Roland more. The RD2000 also comes with way more sounds and functionality than the NP3.

In functionality the Nord Piano is more like the FP90, and even less.

Theyare nice instruments and for gigging musicians there is some value in the weight but for home I wouldn't bother with nord at all.

(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater - Lowest Prices on Gear
Re: Nord Piano 3 v Roland RD-2000 Help me What to buy [Re: M Spin] #2617023
02/22/17 03:50 PM
02/22/17 03:50 PM
B
Buckster Offline
Buckster  Offline
B

are the knobs etc midi assignable on the Nord Piano 3 ?

Re: Nord Piano 3 v Roland RD-2000 Help me What to buy [Re: M Spin] #2617027
02/22/17 04:00 PM
02/22/17 04:00 PM
the Netherlands
Goss Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Goss  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

the Netherlands

Roland HP605|Senheiser HD558|MSFT Surface Pro 4|coffee
Re: Nord Piano 3 v Roland RD-2000 Help me What to buy [Re: M Spin] #2617489
02/23/17 09:42 PM
02/23/17 09:42 PM
United States
P
PianoMan51 Offline
PianoMan51  Offline
P

United States
Hi M.

About a year ago I ended up with both a Nord Piano 2 and a Yamaha CP4. I kept the CP4. I'm mostly a jazz pianist, and the CP4 provides an even, neutral, reasonably realistic sound and feel for me to use for live gigs. And it sounds good through 'okay' sound systems.

But let me be clear, the Nord (sampled) always sounded more real than the CP4 (sample/model combo). However, as soon as drums come into the mix most of the nuance of the nice samples gets swamped out. And if you use a mediocre PA, then the evocative samples can be a negative, because they get morphed into who-knows-what by a non-linear system. Usually a less than stellar system will make a beautiful sampled piano sound more like an old upright from Grampa's garage.

You mentioned in your original post that you play with other acoustic instruments. Because of this, I highly believe that a sampled piano like the Nord, when used with a high quality sound system, perhaps stereo, will fit in much better with real acoustic instruments. And because it's a Nord, you have a terrific choice of piano sounds.

Good luck!

Re: Nord Piano 3 v Roland RD-2000 Help me What to buy [Re: M Spin] #2619637
03/02/17 11:42 AM
03/02/17 11:42 AM
Chicago, IL
H
HSFlik Offline
HSFlik  Offline
H

Chicago, IL
So, if I want a lighter / smaller keyboard and a more natural / sampled piano sound, get the Nord.

If I want a keyboard with all the bells and whistles, get the Roland RD-2000?

Instruments: Roland RD-2000 + Roland A-49
Software: REAPER and MuseScore
Re: Nord Piano 3 v Roland RD-2000 Help me What to buy [Re: HSFlik] #2619717
03/02/17 04:52 PM
03/02/17 04:52 PM
Glendale, Ca.
D
Dave Ferris Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Dave Ferris  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D

Glendale, Ca.
The NP3 and CP4 are the two best sounding and playing in that 38-40 lb. weight range.

Tone and action are of course subjective to what's a preference.

For home use I would buy the RD2000 just based on the action and the one piano sound I heard. For gigs, I'm done hauling 48 lb. keyboards + the weight of the case. In addition , with shrinking stages and set up spaces being almost the norm today - the RD2000 is simply too wide for a good percentage of the places I try and cram into.

Originally Posted by PianoMan51
About a year ago I ended up with both a Nord Piano 2 and a Yamaha CP4. I kept the CP4. I'm mostly a jazz pianist, and the CP4 provides an even, neutral, reasonably realistic sound and feel for me to use for live gigs. And it sounds good through 'okay' sound systems.

But let me be clear, the Nord (sampled) always sounded more real than the CP4 (sample/model combo). However, as soon as drums come into the mix most of the nuance of the nice samples gets swamped out. And if you use a mediocre PA, then the evocative samples can be a negative, because they get morphed into who-knows-what by a non-linear system. Usually a less than stellar system will make a beautiful sampled piano sound more like an old upright from Grampa's garage.

You mentioned in your original post that you play with other acoustic instruments. Because of this, I highly believe that a sampled piano like the Nord, when used with a high quality sound system, perhaps stereo, will fit in much better with real acoustic instruments. And because it's a Nord, you have a terrific choice of piano sounds.

The CP4 does fare much better then the Nord on an entry level , mono PA systems or when forced to use funky keyboard amps.

Live, they both sound optimum from running stereo but more so the NP. To get either DP sounding the best it can, you could easily spend as much ( quite possibly more) on your active speakers and preamp/Di source then the keyboard itself.

I do some gigs with strings from time to time. In my 4 years with the NPs, even with my fairly high system, I didn't feel the Nord blended that well with strings until they released the Fazioli sample. It seemed, at least to my ears, it was less harsh, more smooth and had a more even timbre. I felt better about it in those situations and even remember getting more then one compliment from the sometimes snobby string players on how good the piano sounded.

I have no experience with the samples released after that. I'm sure they sound very good though.

Nord does seem to read the criticisms around their piano sounds and action. It seems everything new they do release is an improvement on what has come before. I still feel the basic tone and sound is an acquired taste and not for everyone, all the time.

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5
Re: Nord Piano 3 v Roland RD-2000 Help me What to buy [Re: M Spin] #2621268
03/07/17 09:01 PM
03/07/17 09:01 PM
M
M Spin Offline OP
M Spin  Offline OP
M

I want to thank everyone for their advise on both pianos. I decided I wanted both options so I went ahead and ordered a RD-2000 for the features and keybed, but also purchased a barely used Nord Electro 5d 73 at the same time at a great price ($1500US someone I knew needed to offload it quick). So now I also have the piano samples when I want them.

Re: Nord Piano 3 v Roland RD-2000 Help me What to buy [Re: M Spin] #2621275
03/07/17 09:10 PM
03/07/17 09:10 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Hamamatsu, Japan
Result!

Congrats on a killer combo! wink

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
Re: Nord Piano 3 v Roland RD-2000 Help me What to buy [Re: M Spin] #2621281
03/07/17 09:53 PM
03/07/17 09:53 PM
Glendale, Ca.
D
Dave Ferris Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Dave Ferris  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D

Glendale, Ca.
Great , good move ! Since it appears you primarily play at home, the weight of the Roland isn't an issue.

And if you get tired of the V-Piano sound, you can use something completely different and choose from whatever strikes your fancy in the Nord library. Personally I like the online demos I've heard of the Royal Grand.

Also this way you are not shelling out top money for the questionable Fatar action on the NP3. If it was $2500 street and could be had for $1900- $2200 , that to me might be a price point I could see taking a gamble with.

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Brodmann PE 121 vs. Kawai K300
by Timpskie. 11/15/18 12:20 AM
Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room
by AB Forum Recital. 11/14/18 10:44 PM
Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018
by AB Forum Recital. 11/14/18 09:06 PM
DIGITAL PIANO "SECONDS WAITED"
by ericco. 11/14/18 06:15 PM
Diminished scales and chords
by Tango. 11/14/18 03:02 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,337
Posts2,761,210
Members91,490
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission