2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, 10 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Did you try the specific GP607 tunings yet Peakski?

Roland HP605|Senheiser HD558|MSFT Surface Pro 4|coffee
P
P
Not had time yet Goss, will do when I get chance though. Just playing it on default settings at the moment, which is good, but curious about what else it can sound like. I've tried the 3 other standard modelled pianos too and prefer the default Concert Grand so far. It sounds pretty authentic (even though my only benchmark is from listening to piano through high end audio - can't remember the last time I heard a real acoustic GP or even a real upright) although I think I can tell it's digital when playing single notes, but maybe that's psychological because I know it is!

Roland GP-607
Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
The app is a real pain to connect, and the connecting has to be done every time.. hope Roland makes it a little more friendly in that regard sóón..

Yes same here - the standard concert on headphones, or the 442 concert from the app I like best. The 'digitalness' is less on the 442 I can tell you that much - also some soundboards do better than others in that respect. Then again, when you choose one that sound particularly tinny in the middle octaves like 5 and tweak the hammer hardness ( Individual Note Character ) it changes totally..

Last edited by Goss; 03/02/17 06:54 AM.

P
P
Originally Posted by Goss
Oooh you're right - the master tuning per voice is an overal master tuning - that sort of throws other tunings in memory off. Only used the 442 concert for the 605 here for speakers, and headphones used the factory 1. Concert which is 440 but when I got the piano designer 605 442 concert in slot 2, number one goes 442 as well - hadn't noticed that at all =S

Yeah, I've just come up against this issue too. It appears that the master tuning is a global single parameter and cannot be stored within individual piano profile slots - in the same way that the master volume doesn't change either when you switch slot. So I think you have to remember to either manually change the master tuning value to match the custom profile you are currently using (if they are different values for each profile). Or load each complete piano profile directly from the BT app whenever you want to use it - which does load the correct master tuning value with it. A bit of an oversight from Roland I think.

Roland GP-607
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Personally I think it would have been much better to store Key Touch, Hammer Response, and Tuning with the piano slot instead of global parameters. Kawai stores the keybouard touch and hammer response speed with the Virtual Technician, but also has a global master tuning.

I like the European and Vienna Grand, but it's impossible to use them at the same time. Because of the 83/100 keyboard setting of the Vienna (which it really, really needs to make the bass sound good), you can't use any other piano than that one. (In addition, it's specifically adjusted to work with the 443 Hz tuning.)

Also: is there a way to make the piano default to Mellow Piano? Kawai and even Yamaha can do this (change startup settings, I mean).

Last edited by Falsch; 03/02/17 10:10 AM.

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7
(Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers II, Karsten, KIVIR, Steinway D, K2)
Intel NUC J5040, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Falsch
is there a way to make the piano default to Mellow Piano? Kawai and even Yamaha can do this (change startup settings, I mean).

have not found that option no.. I think you just got to transplant Mellow to Concert and put a sticker on the piano XD
https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/impact-label
preferably this font =D
[Linked Image]

I think just using the app with saved settings is the easiest thing to do..

Last edited by Goss; 03/02/17 11:46 AM.

Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
rtfm ftw ^^

Specifying the Song (SMF) Playback Mode (SMF Play Mode) When playing back a song (SMF), select the appropriate setting depending on whether you’re playing an internal song or external data. [i]* The acoustic projection effect (p. 10) is not reproduced if the SMF Playback mode is set to “External.” Some of the Piano Designer effects are also not applied in this case.
[/i]Internal
The most suitable tone for the song that’s playing is selected. This setting is ideal when playing back an internal song or a song that was recorded on this unit.
External
The currently selected tone is used when you play back the song. This setting is ideal when playing back external data such as commercially available music data.

So.. unless the number 1. is the voice you want to use, and you want acoustic projection to work, setting playback to external will enable playing midi files in the current selected tone..

If you want acoustic projection to work, and you want to listen to midi files in tones other than the first default tuning, you got to change the default tuning to another first, then set smf playback mode to internal so that acoustic projection is enabled.

Last edited by Goss; 03/02/17 11:54 AM.

P
P
Originally Posted by Falsch
Personally I think it would have been much better to store Key Touch, Hammer Response, and Tuning with the piano slot instead of global parameters. Kawai stores the keybouard touch and hammer response speed with the Virtual Technician, but also has a global master tuning.

I like the European and Vienna Grand, but it's impossible to use them at the same time. Because of the 83/100 keyboard setting of the Vienna (which it really, really needs to make the bass sound good), you can't use any other piano than that one. (In addition, it's specifically adjusted to work with the 443 Hz tuning.)

Ah I see, it's worse than I thought - so not just master tuning that isn't stored in the slot profile! So may be better to keep just one favourite profile as default and then use the piano app to load in other complete profiles as and when required on a temporary basis. I tested that idea and it seems to work okay - obviously means I need my iPad to change pianos.

Roland GP-607
Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Yes so master volume is something you got to set manually for each tuning obviously - master tuning is affected by loading a tuning from the app but basically last loaded tuning prevails on all slots which is kind of annoying.. Falsch did not mean hammer response and key touch is affected by the tunings loaded from the app btw - its just that it would have been more convenient if they had

It is the least bother if you use just one slot on the roland for a profile from the app basically.. And your own tweaks of the default voices safely saved on the app to load when you want it. Bit of a mess isn't it ^^

P
P
Originally Posted by Goss
Yes so master volume is something you got to set manually for each tuning obviously - master tuning is affected by loading a tuning from the app but basically last loaded tuning prevails on all slots which is kind of annoying.. Falsch did not mean hammer response and key touch is affected by the tunings loaded from the app btw - its just that it would have been more convenient if they had

It is the least bother if you use just one slot on the roland for a profile from the app basically.. And your own tweaks of the default voices safely saved on the app to load when you want it. Bit of a mess isn't it ^^

LOL, so I've now messed up all my default slot settings. I presume a Factory Reset will restore them all back?

I liked the custom GP-607 tunings and think I prefer the European Grand best of the 3 profiles currently available for my piano. It seems to have a wider dynamic range (at both ends) than the default setting and really sounds the part at the recommended volume. So I have that loaded in slot 1 now permanently as my new default. Rather than keep tweaking the global settings (I'm bound to get them mixed up between profiles) I think I'll just use the App to load other piano profiles whenever I feel like a change. Then I'll know that all the global parameters are set correctly (except for volume, which I can cope with!)

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction Goss, it's a definite improvement using the custom tunings for the specific piano. The default profile doesn't make the most of the GP-607 sound system as you suspected, although it's still pretty good.

Roland GP-607
Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peakski
liked the custom GP-607 tunings and think I prefer the European Grand best of the 3 profiles currently available for my piano. It seems to have a wider dynamic range (at both ends) than the default setting and really sounds the part at the recommended volume.

Yes I thought so ^^ When I tried the tuning for the GP607 I could basically hear the terrible bits on my piano the sound profile being waaaay off ( all mids ) it had to be that for your system the default was sounding the inverse of that basically..

While you're at it, check your firmware - possible you can do with a new one. 1.19 got released in December
Update history
[ Ver.1.12 ] DEC 2016
Functionality Improvement
Support for Piano Partner 2 Version 1.2 was added.
https://www.roland.com/uk/support/b...rs/63d40449-477d-4bca-9f50-dcb0544b9f6d/

Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ok so having had the extraordinary luxury this past week of having a child go to bed hóurs before I do lol I spent some more time fiddling with the app and here at least on the 1.19 fw ( which reads as 1.19 B026something something on the piano's display) the tuning loaded in slot 1 determines global master tuning.. Load another tuning in slot 2 and the master tuning will not change from the one introduced in slot 1..

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Where did you find version 1.19? The Roland.com site only shows version 1.12, which I already have.

I'll test tomorrow what you wrote above; I've seen my master tuning and key touch change independent into which slot I load a setup.

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7
(Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers II, Karsten, KIVIR, Steinway D, K2)
Intel NUC J5040, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
lol I did mention the screaming kid and lack of sleep? XD No you are right : 1.12 (B0125) it says..

It might be BT issues here I don't know.. Every other time I use the app the app hangs in connecting, and some times it just loses connection altogether during use -_- An older tablet, nexus 7 2013 model, but bt wise the tablet does not give such issues w for example bt audio and a bt speaker.. Maybe it is a sweet spot for my router's signal strength and its interference.

P
P
I can confirm that master tuning and other global parameters do change regardless of which slot you load a piano setup into. Slot 1 doesn't seem to have any special priority. No issues with BT on my iPad, seems very stable and lag free.

Roland GP-607
Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
hm weird Maybe I messed up the settings of the app's tunings.. Sadly Roland makes no Windows apps for our otherwise entirely windows household -_- so I use our old Nexus 7 tablet which is also our little one's go to tablet lol.. I think I got to open it up and see if the hardware in there got jostled around - theres a rubber bumper case around it because it needs to bounce - a lot.
Ribbon cables in there tying things together might have gotten loose. I hope that's it anyways - something I can fix ^^ Don't want to buy an ipad XD

Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
on the piano volume thing an older thread I found that might be of interest:
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...1/topic/020093/Number/0/site_id/1#import

rough measurement ( app on phone, calibrated to a dyson vacume cleaner lol :1 meter distance motor side is 84 dB, so adjusted the app to give this measurement ) of our HP605 with the 442 Concert tuning at a volume setting of just 30 in the 4th octave yields 97dB on a single note hit at a velocity of 110. mf play around 80 velocity yields 80db on average for just single notes.. Actually playing something this is 10-15dB louder still.

Last edited by Goss; 03/05/17 06:05 AM.

Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
So, I tried the DPSBD file again after new fw update, and when the Roland HP605 is set to SMF internal playback, starting for example the DPBSD file now shows the lights on the right of the panel to light up on 'accomp' and the instrument selection goes to 'other' clearly indicating it is playing back a GM voice, nót the Supernatural Modelling engine.

I edited the file in MidiEditor and changed the channel of the DPBSD data from 0 to 3, and now it plays back on the Supernatural Modelling engine - during playback one can switch between concert ballad mellow and bright! The original file had 'Acoustic Grand Piano' as the selected voice, but when it is in the wrong channel, it is seen as accompaniment and it is played back as Acoustic Grand Piano from the GM banks. So it is very likely the recording now in the DPBSD thread of the HP603 is not correct.

So, to trigger the Supernatural Modelling engine's sounds with non native midi files one has to edit the file to have Acoustic Grand Piano on channel 3

I will put the standard Concert tuning back into slot 1, record the DBPSD file and upload and add to the DBPSD thread and include the link to the older file for easy comparison.

Last edited by Goss; 03/06/17 06:22 AM.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Goss,
Thank you for investigating that. Sorry, I had not idea that my HP603 recording did not work as intended.

Goss Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
^^ to be fair that dpbsd file is far from musical lol.. I was like - something is wrong here but.. But as mine exhibited the same behaviours was at a loss as to how to get it to trigger for certain the Supernatural Model and prove it besides by ear.

Also there is a difference in tonal quality between SMF set to internal or external mode - the acoustic projection is enabled/disabled..

Last edited by Goss; 03/06/17 08:44 AM.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission