2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 13 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfzE6l49U0o Looks interesting. All made in EU - not all the specs impress evenly though, and that sound recorded by mic sort of sounded muffled but that could be different for the player.
The keyboard isn't linear graded like Kawai - 4 zones

Last edited by Goss; 02/19/17 08:07 AM.

Roland HP605|Senheiser HD558|MSFT Surface Pro 4|coffee
M
M Spin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Previous Nord Piano owner here. And Roland RD700-GX(SN).

I played Nord Piano 3 a couple of weeks ago together with Roland FP-90 and RD-800.

The Roland's form-factor (RD-2000) is just a pain. The siting of the joystick thing is awful. The whole package is too long and because the keyboard is offset due to the huge left cheek block there isn't any aesthetic balance to the thing. It's been a curse of RDs for a long time now.

I went to the shop wanting to feel instantly like I had 'come home' when playing the NP3. I still loved the sounds but for reasons I can't quite put my finger on I was a tad disappointed. Only a tad but enough to stop me buying it there and then.

If it were my choice I'd go Nord but it's a very close call. I can easily see how the new RD would be ticking lots of boxes for pro and semi-pro players. As a package, depending on your needs, I wouldn't rule out the FP-90 either. Its form factor is far nicer than the RD and the speakers are useable. For that matter the plain jane little Yamaha CP4 should be on anyone's audition list. A dowdy little box she may be but it has that innate Yamaha musicality and 'balls'. Kawai MP7 - the best looking stage piano - and a good deal cheaper too (than Nord or RD) with a truly fantastic action. There's more to this contest than Nord or Roland...

EssBrace thank you for that fantastic write up! You did exactly what I wish I could do, try out everything side by side.

You also hit one of the main reasons the RD-2000 was lower on my list, that dang left side is a horrible design. It's sad to say but one reason I was drawn to the Nord was how it looked and it wasn't off centre.

It's good to hear about your view of the dynamic range and the different feel of the keybeds. Since this is my return from an extremely long break and first move from an acoustic piano I think any keyboard will feel a little strange at first but I should be able to adapt to their nuances. Still I completely understand what you are talking about with the bouncy feeling, I found it existed in a lot of less expensive keyboards at the store I went to.

I did look at Kawai and Yamaha and the CP4 was #3 on my list of options and I just looked at the MP11 which I eliminated due to size/weight. I know there are other options but in my mind I was down to these 2. Of course who says I won't buy another one a year later.

M
M Spin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by HSFlik
I'm currently thinking about the exact same thing, and the factors I've come across are:

http://www.norduserforum.com/nord-p...tml?sid=0a122cd4930a71b31917e9d5ec804a59

Also, if it matters, the RD-2000 has pitch bend / modulation, if you are looking to do synthy stuff whereas the Nord Piano 3 doesn't.

I read the exact same thing on the key knocking, everyone there who has it seems to have an early batch, knowing if I order now there are none in the distribution line currently so it should be a new batch where they maybe have fixed the felt. If I do end up with the Nord it will 100% be the first thing I test for. But that was one of the reasons the RD-2000 keeps staying in my mind.

The synth/midi option most likely is just temporary and if I decide I want to use it more, I most likely will go with an actual synth keyboard/controller for that option. But for now I will be using this piano with a computer to start to play around with it some. But I agree the RD-2000 mod wheels would be better for that use.

Last edited by M Spin; 02/19/17 10:23 AM.
R
R
As someone who has owned a Nord Piano 3 (3 times) and now a Roland FP90, I'd say wait until you can try both extensively before committing. Yes I've owned a Nord Piano 3 (NP3) twice from September and November of 2016 and most recently 3 weeks ago and I can tell you that it isn't a "batch" thing. Over time of playing the "break in" process of the fatar actions used in the NP3 results in an annoying knocking or "slap back" (unusually loud) noise when you release the keys quickly. I've owned an NP2 years ago and I really never noticed it as much because the whole damn action was super loud. Now the NP3 has been quieted down significantly but expect to hear some noises (unusually loud) when you release keys quickly or simply playing runs or scales. On stage this will not be a problem, but at home practicing with headphones, it will certainly be distracting.

I've owned the instrument a number of times trying to resolve this problem and luckily 2 of the times I was able to return it, but one of the times I used the great tech support from Sweetwater and they sent me a replacement unit. It was quiet for a while but then after a couple of days some of keys started making that slap back noise upon quick release and because I knew where it was heading, I sent it back. I exchanged it for a Roland FP90 and I am relieved now to just play. I don't worry about weird noises or strange wearing out concerns with regard to the action. I simply play!

Now the Roland 2000 is going to have the same action and closely the same piano engine but it will be longer and for me doesn't have a music rest. It will also have more controller features and more. However at this time all I need is a piano sound that I can taylor to my needs when I need a different flavor and some high quality vintage electric pianos. I also need basic layering and splitting, built in speakers and a music rest to round out things and thus I have a Roland FP90. I'm still waiting to try the RD2000 regardless and might pick up one in the future because of the extensive editing of the other supernatural engine for vintage electric pianos and etc., but right now as a practice intstrument that I can also do basic jazz gigs with, I'm happy. I do miss the downloadable library of Nord, but if I'm constantly worried about when the action is going to start making noises that it shouldn't at a $3k instrument, then all of that is pointless. Like I said this was my preference but I strongly suggest you wait to try both.

Rhodes MkII Stage 73, Yamaha CP4, Yamaha Reface CP + DX
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
And the FP90 offers the additional models too eh - uprights =] just like the RD2000 which had some more ones though I forget which..

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Funny though eh how 10 cents worth of foam can affect things..

R
R
Originally Posted by Goss
Funny though eh how 10 cents worth of foam can affect things..

Man, ain't that the truth!

Rhodes MkII Stage 73, Yamaha CP4, Yamaha Reface CP + DX
M
M Spin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Rhodie73
As someone who has owned a Nord Piano 3 (3 times) and now a Roland FP90, I'd say wait until you can try both extensively before committing. Yes I've owned a Nord Piano 3 (NP3) twice from September and November of 2016 and most recently 3 weeks ago and I can tell you that it isn't a "batch" thing. Over time of playing the "break in" process of the fatar actions used in the NP3 results in an annoying knocking or "slap back" (unusually loud) noise when you release the keys quickly. I've owned an NP2 years ago and I really never noticed it as much because the whole damn action was super loud. Now the NP3 has been quieted down significantly but expect to hear some noises (unusually loud) when you release keys quickly or simply playing runs or scales. On stage this will not be a problem, but at home practicing with headphones, it will certainly be distracting.

That's what I was afraid of and my biggest concern with getting the Nord Piano 3. I want the Nord piano sounds but keep hearing the piano 3 has knocking issues. Would I be crazy to buy an RD-2000 and a Nord Electro 5D? Could I use the RD-2000 keyboard to control the Electro 5d via midi or am I just dreaming? Plus if I do ever want organ sounds I've heard the nord electro with the sw keys is better for that use.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I've played both and prefer the RD2000.

After 4 years with the Nord pianos - NP88 & NP2- for me their overly bright and even clangy tone simply wore out my ears. The Nords record very realistically and can mirror that same effect when you are standing out front listening to them in the audience. But out on a gig, up close coming through my fairly high end speakers, I gave up trying to like them. It was simply ear fatigue coupled with constantly fighting the inferior action. Again, I tried very hard for 4 years to like them but finally felt relief when the CP4 came out and I was able to sell the NP2.

Also I can't justify paying 3K for anything with a Fatar action. Even though the NP3 is improved, I still find a clunkiness factor associated with it. And now it seems there are an inordinate amount of complaints from users about keyboard action noise on brand new units. Makes me wonder how the NP3 will play in a year or two down the road…even with light gigging. Sorry, for that kind of money, there should be no issues.

I've only spent 20 minutes on the RD2000 at NAMM, in less then ideal conditions. But I heard enough to feel it is their best DP and on par with the CP4 in the area of playability and player connection to the instrument. However the extra 10 lbs. over the Yamaha precludes me from considering it for gigging purposes.

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 02/19/17 01:10 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The RD-2000 feature for feature leaves the NP3 looking like dated tech. That's not to say the NP3 wouldn't be perfectly fine if your needs are basic. Also depends on if you travel to play and if you carry your own stuff.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
I've played both and prefer the RD2000.

After 4 years with the Nord pianos - NP88 & NP2- for me their overly bright and even clangy tone simply wore out my ears. The Nords record very realistically and can mirror that same effect when you are standing out front listening to them in the audience. But out on a gig, up close coming through my fairly high end speakers, I gave up trying to like them. It was simply ear fatigue coupled with constantly fighting the inferior action. Again, I tried very hard for 4 years to like them but finally felt relief when the CP4 came out and I was able to sell the NP2.

Also I can't justify paying 3K for anything with a Fatar action. Even though the NP3 is improved, I still find a clunkiness factor associated with it. And now it seems there are an inordinate amount of complaints from users about keyboard action noise on brand new units. Makes me wonder how the NP3 will play in a year or two down the road…even with light gigging. Sorry, for that kind of money, there should be no issues.

I've only spent 20 minutes on the RD2000 at NAMM, in less then ideal conditions. But I heard enough to feel it is their best DP and on par with the CP4 in the area of playability and player connection to the instrument. However the extra 10 lbs. over the Yamaha precludes me from considering it for gigging purposes.

Hello Dave,

Did the RD-2000 sound much different than the FP-90 and the current HP-LX series?

The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I've never played that Roland home console model but did post my initial impression here already on the FP-90 & RD 2000 fwiw :

Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
They had about a half dozen RD2000s to play, no lines. Not good phones - Roland's own - but I've heard worse. Definitely better then the Fostex phones Nord were using.

The action - wow, very nice ! On par with the CP4 definitely (I stilll prefer the CFX sample on the CP4 though). And blows away the Nord piano 3 as far as playability. The player connection is the best I've ever experienced on a Roland keyboard , and yes better then the RD800. It also meshes well with the main V-Piano sample. And that sounds even in all the registers. No notes jumping out. Jazz single note lines felt / sounded smooth and phrases were easy to connect. Something I've always had problems with on all Roland pianos in the past.

Part of the bad -- I had to deal with a EDM/ DJ production 25 yards away that was ridiculously over the top LOUD. Luckily I came in on the tail end of it and only had to endure about 7 minutes.

I found the FP-90 to play but another electronic production was starting…of course at ear splitting volume level. So I just had a short play the FP-90 in less then ideal conditions compared to the RD2000 -- I liked the player connection better on the 2000 then the 90. It sounded crisper and an overall more sophisticated sound -- more of a Pro feeling and sounding keyboard where the 90 gave me the impression of a home hobbyist . Could be a better DAC in the 2000 ? You could somewhat tell the action was the same but the 2000 felt easier and more fun to play. To be fair I didn't spend all that long on the 90 -- I really wanted to get out of there at that point because of the sonic pollution.

I like the design of the 2000. I didn't try to lift it but the depth gives the keyboard a somewhat compact look. It didn't seem overly long either.

I didn't try any editing or any EP, pad or organ sounds. I did do a LH bass split with the Ac. bass. That's not on par with the CP4's but it's good.

I think everyone will highly dig this keyboard. thumb cool

I wrote that before being informed that the FP-90 doesn't include the V-Piano piano on the RD2000. That could be the main factor in my initial preference for the RD2000.

I highly wanted to like the FP-90 more because of the internal speakers but simply didn't. At least, again, on a short first play.

And I'm coming to this solely from the point of view of a pure Acoustic piano player , mainly Jazz fwiw. I don't care about midi , bluetooth, controller functions, any electric pianos or "other sounds".

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Morodiene
I think sound-wise, Nord may win

Just listening to demos without playing them, yes, I certainly think the basic tone of the Nord sounds more authentic and natural than anything I've heard from the RD-2000 yet.

Greg.

L
L
The Nord piano is over priced. They use an action inferior to what Roland, Kawai and Yamaha offer at the same price.

As for the sound it is subjective, I like Roland more. The RD2000 also comes with way more sounds and functionality than the NP3.

In functionality the Nord Piano is more like the FP90, and even less.

Theyare nice instruments and for gigging musicians there is some value in the weight but for home I wouldn't bother with nord at all.

B
B
are the knobs etc midi assignable on the Nord Piano 3 ?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

P
P
Hi M.

About a year ago I ended up with both a Nord Piano 2 and a Yamaha CP4. I kept the CP4. I'm mostly a jazz pianist, and the CP4 provides an even, neutral, reasonably realistic sound and feel for me to use for live gigs. And it sounds good through 'okay' sound systems.

But let me be clear, the Nord (sampled) always sounded more real than the CP4 (sample/model combo). However, as soon as drums come into the mix most of the nuance of the nice samples gets swamped out. And if you use a mediocre PA, then the evocative samples can be a negative, because they get morphed into who-knows-what by a non-linear system. Usually a less than stellar system will make a beautiful sampled piano sound more like an old upright from Grampa's garage.

You mentioned in your original post that you play with other acoustic instruments. Because of this, I highly believe that a sampled piano like the Nord, when used with a high quality sound system, perhaps stereo, will fit in much better with real acoustic instruments. And because it's a Nord, you have a terrific choice of piano sounds.

Good luck!

H
H
So, if I want a lighter / smaller keyboard and a more natural / sampled piano sound, get the Nord.

If I want a keyboard with all the bells and whistles, get the Roland RD-2000?

Instruments: Roland RD-2000 + Roland A-49
Software: REAPER and MuseScore
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
The NP3 and CP4 are the two best sounding and playing in that 38-40 lb. weight range.

Tone and action are of course subjective to what's a preference.

For home use I would buy the RD2000 just based on the action and the one piano sound I heard. For gigs, I'm done hauling 48 lb. keyboards + the weight of the case. In addition , with shrinking stages and set up spaces being almost the norm today - the RD2000 is simply too wide for a good percentage of the places I try and cram into.

Originally Posted by PianoMan51
About a year ago I ended up with both a Nord Piano 2 and a Yamaha CP4. I kept the CP4. I'm mostly a jazz pianist, and the CP4 provides an even, neutral, reasonably realistic sound and feel for me to use for live gigs. And it sounds good through 'okay' sound systems.

But let me be clear, the Nord (sampled) always sounded more real than the CP4 (sample/model combo). However, as soon as drums come into the mix most of the nuance of the nice samples gets swamped out. And if you use a mediocre PA, then the evocative samples can be a negative, because they get morphed into who-knows-what by a non-linear system. Usually a less than stellar system will make a beautiful sampled piano sound more like an old upright from Grampa's garage.

You mentioned in your original post that you play with other acoustic instruments. Because of this, I highly believe that a sampled piano like the Nord, when used with a high quality sound system, perhaps stereo, will fit in much better with real acoustic instruments. And because it's a Nord, you have a terrific choice of piano sounds.

The CP4 does fare much better then the Nord on an entry level , mono PA systems or when forced to use funky keyboard amps.

Live, they both sound optimum from running stereo but more so the NP. To get either DP sounding the best it can, you could easily spend as much ( quite possibly more) on your active speakers and preamp/Di source then the keyboard itself.

I do some gigs with strings from time to time. In my 4 years with the NPs, even with my fairly high system, I didn't feel the Nord blended that well with strings until they released the Fazioli sample. It seemed, at least to my ears, it was less harsh, more smooth and had a more even timbre. I felt better about it in those situations and even remember getting more then one compliment from the sometimes snobby string players on how good the piano sounded.

I have no experience with the samples released after that. I'm sure they sound very good though.

Nord does seem to read the criticisms around their piano sounds and action. It seems everything new they do release is an improvement on what has come before. I still feel the basic tone and sound is an acquired taste and not for everyone, all the time.

M
M Spin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I want to thank everyone for their advise on both pianos. I decided I wanted both options so I went ahead and ordered a RD-2000 for the features and keybed, but also purchased a barely used Nord Electro 5d 73 at the same time at a great price ($1500US someone I knew needed to offload it quick). So now I also have the piano samples when I want them.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission