2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, 12 invisible), 1,983 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Something like this:

I say, "Yes, we can learn this. But not until you are good enough with treble clef lines and spaces to pick out the notes. We'll get there fast, probably 2 months max if you study the things I ask you to do."

Then I play it, exactly as written, with the chords improvised in any of 1000 ways, to show that *I* can do it, and I'm not stonewalling because *I* have any problem with the piece or chords.

This establishes instant credibility. I do this in front of a new student and a parent.

I don't have any problems saying, "In the future, absolutely, but now is not the right time and will terribly delay progress in what I want you to learn."

Any parent who is fully on board with the idea that reading is vital will instantly agree that teaching by rote is a false step.

I go over major chords in all keys very early, with all students. So any student I have in the 2nd month or so will know the C, F and G chords in root position.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I'd do a combination of teaching her by rote, having her use what stuff she's learned already, and learn a bit about note reading. Maybe teach her Middle C and treble G and then go from there by ear. Write in what you have to.

I have no problem with this at all. It will actually help her when you actually get to teach her staff reading for real, because she's gotten a "sneak peak" at it before.

She wants to play it, so run with it!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by SonatainfSharp
Originally Posted by jdw

One thing about the fingerings, though. I don't like that 234 in the second-third measure and then a stretch from 4 to 3 to get back to the C, especially for a child's hand. Why not 345? (As I say, not a teacher, but have had a lot of Taubman lessons.)

It's not legato, so not a stretch (though I wouldn't suggest that myself, either).

I actually think it should be legato, but then I'm a choral singer (O give me a home where the buffalo roam--one phrase, no punctuation).

1989 Baldwin R
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SonatainfSharp
You would be completely flabbergasted by what kids can learn when they really want to. Teach her by rote, with the "score" just being a guide to remind her of what comes next. This isn't ideal, but it isn't going to harm anything.

I once had a 12yo boy who really wanted to learn "Linus and Lucy" for a talent show. It was waaaay above his level, but he insisted (he started piano at 11yo). I counted out the rhythms with him and got him started. He came back the next week and had it learned and memorized (not totally polished, but still). After learning that piece, he went back to his regular rep and was a slow learner again, and had no interest in learning anything else. I later found out he learned the piece to impress a girl during the talent show. He got her attention, then switched to trumpet because that is what she played. (I found this out from his younger sister, who I also taught.)

Hilarious, and cute.

~piano teacher in training~
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by outo
@az
I have no idea what skips and steps are, so I wouldn't know. But I don't think I have ever met a child with already several years of schooling behind and without some sort of disability that could not learn the notes of something this simple if they are able to sing it and really wanted to. The 10 year olds I know are quite resourceful. Are you sure you're not underestimating kids because you look at it through the process of classical piano learning. Which is a lot harder.

Besides I have dyscalculia and still confuse finger numbers but that never has been more than a nuisance (I frequently write them wrong). The only issue is if one truly does not understand them.

Don't want to argue but sometimes I just get baffled from what I read here...is the reality we live in really that different?

Well... Outo, yes, it is different. From your comments, it simply just doesn't sound like you have taught piano. I don't underestimate kids because I want to. In fact, I overestimate them most of the time because I have just started teaching and am finding out that a lot of things we take for granted after playing music for a long time, needs to be explained. I end up with some frustrated students, but I'm learning. It might look like something simple, but it is not simple if you want to teach it from the point of view of being able to read the notes, read the rhythm, and play it with proper fingering, and gracefully as well. The girl doesn't know her way around the keyboard yet, and a piece like this that is not in 5-finger C position requires jumping around the piano and I can already imagine her getting lost. Teaching someone a single tune by fumbling around on a piano to find the notes by ear or by copying someone else do it is completely different from teaching someone to read music bottom up. Here is a black note with a stem. Here is a white note with a stem... This is middle C. Now find middle C on the piano. With this girl, even though she is 10, when I taught her hot cross buns in the first lesson.. she kept playing the "one a penny" part twice as fast as the rest of the song. And I tried, believe me, modeling what she was doing, modeling the correct way, clapping, counting. Nope. She is a dancer too, so I thought rhythm would be easier for her, but it hasn't proved to be the case.

I'm teaching another girl who has been in Yamaha for two years. She can play do-re-mi and probably a lot of other things, but she didn't know where middle C is on the staff, couldn't read a lick of music, so today we learned steps (2nd) which go from line to space or space to line, and skips (interval of a third), which go from line to line or space to space.
The first piece is Yankee Doodle. You would be surprised how difficult it is, even after being taught steps and skips. They go down instead of up, or they step instead of skip. Do-Re instead of Do-Mi for example. or C-D instead of C-E if that's the way you know it.
She already knows how to play Yankee Doodle, by ear, because she is musical and because the method that they use in Yamaha encourages that. But I am teaching her new skills because I want her to be able to read music. Reading music is like learning another language. For most of the kids I've encountered thus far, it does not just come.

You sound like you are talking about another method that maybe is closer to what Yamaha does. I don't disagree with such a method, but I have another student that has been in Yamaha for four years, and cannot read music either. She has a wonderful ear, can transpose, real cool stuff, but her parents want her to read music, so here I am. Eventually, they'd like her to be able to play for church, to accompany, and that requires good sight-reading skills, if someone calls a hymn and nobody knows how to sing it.

Last edited by hello my name is; 02/17/17 12:04 AM.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gary D.
Something like this:

I say, "Yes, we can learn this. But not until you are good enough with treble clef lines and spaces to pick out the notes. We'll get there fast, probably 2 months max if you study the things I ask you to do."

Then I play it, exactly as written, with the chords improvised in any of 1000 ways, to show that *I* can do it, and I'm not stonewalling because *I* have any problem with the piece or chords.

This establishes instant credibility. I do this in front of a new student and a parent.

I don't have any problems saying, "In the future, absolutely, but now is not the right time and will terribly delay progress in what I want you to learn."

Any parent who is fully on board with the idea that reading is vital will instantly agree that teaching by rote is a false step.

I go over major chords in all keys very early, with all students. So any student I have in the 2nd month or so will know the C, F and G chords in root position.

Thanks. I don't think her dad cares since he won't buy piano books for her, but if you say 2 months max.. then I might be able to get her there the step-wise way eh?

Also thanks Morodiene, Ben, and Johnstaf for the suggestions.

As for fingering, I'm not worried about that right now. Her version that she brought in has zero fingering on it, so I plan to write it in myself. X_X

Off topic, but how do you quote various people in one post? Manually?

Last edited by hello my name is; 02/17/17 12:15 AM.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by hello my name is
@az
I have no idea what skips and steps are, so I wouldn't know. But I don't think I have ever met a child with already several years of schooling behind and without some sort of disability that could not learn the notes of something this simple if they are able to sing it and really wanted to. The 10 year olds I know are quite resourceful. Are you sure you're not underestimating kids because you look at it through the process of classical piano learning. Which is a lot harder.

Besides I have dyscalculia and still confuse finger numbers but that never has been more than a nuisance (I frequently write them wrong). The only issue is if one truly does not understand them.

Don't want to argue but sometimes I just get baffled from what I read here...is the reality we live in really that different?

Well... Outo, yes, it is different. From your comments, it simply just doesn't sound like you have taught piano. I don't underestimate kids because I want to. In fact, I overestimate them most of the time because I have just started teaching and am finding out that a lot of things we take for granted after playing music for a long time, needs to be explained. I end up with some frustrated students, but I'm learning. It might look like something simple, but it is not simple if you want to teach it from the point of view of being able to read the notes, read the rhythm, and play it with proper fingering, and gracefully as well. The girl doesn't know her way around the keyboard yet, and a piece like this that is not in 5-finger C position requires jumping around the piano and I can already imagine her getting lost. Teaching someone a single tune by fumbling around on a piano to find the notes by ear or by copying someone else do it is completely different from teaching someone to read music bottom up. Here is a black note with a stem. Here is a white note with a stem... This is middle C. Now find middle C on the piano. With this girl, even though she is 10, when I taught her hot cross buns in the first lesson.. she kept playing the "one a penny" part twice as fast as the rest of the song. And I tried, believe me, modeling what she was doing, modeling the correct way, clapping, counting. Nope. She is a dancer too, so I thought rhythm would be easier for her, but it hasn't proved to be the case.

I'm teaching another girl who has been in Yamaha for two years. She can play do-re-mi and probably a lot of other things, but she didn't know where middle C is on the staff, couldn't read a lick of music, so today we learned steps (2nd) which go from line to space or space to line, and skips (interval of a third), which go from line to line or space to space.
The first piece is Yankee Doodle. You would be surprised how difficult it is, even after being taught steps and skips. They go down instead of up, or they step instead of skip. Do-Re instead of Do-Mi for example. or C-D instead of C-E if that's the way you know it.
She already knows how to play Yankee Doodle, by ear, because she is musical and because the method that they use in Yamaha encourages that. But I am teaching her new skills because I want her to be able to read music. Reading music is like learning another language. For most of the kids I've encountered thus far, it does not just come.

You sound like you are talking about another method that maybe is closer to what Yamaha does. I don't disagree with such a method, but I have another student that has been in Yamaha for four years, and cannot read music either. She has a wonderful ear, can transpose, real cool stuff, but her parents want her to read music, so here I am. Eventually, they'd like her to be able to play for church, to accompany, and that requires good sight-reading skills, if someone calls a hymn and nobody knows how to sing it.

Yes I am talking about a different method. Not to replace "real" teaching but to teach this one song as a side project. Yes, it might interfere a bit with your normal teaching plans so you need to consider whether you want to do it or not. But with a 10 year old beginner, how probable is it that she will ever be more than an amateur? So is there any harm in using some time with this and possibly slowing down on the method you use a bit? That's for you to decide. But it could be a motivation booster for her to study music also.

No, I have not taught piano for real, but as I already said I have taught complete beginners how to play songs like this on the piano. It's not really so much about teaching piano playing but teaching basic music making and the instrument just happens to be the piano. Maybe in two months it won't be that good, but the idea that one needs a year or more of experience to be able to do something like this just seems ridiculous to me. Children often learn faster than adults, and even on this forum there are examples of adult beginners teaching themselves to read and play pieces of greater complexity in a few weeks or months. It may not be wise, but it still happens.

Nothing here is rocket science really. If you dissect the task there are not that many things to learn. To recognize a few notes on the RH staff. Memorize what keys these notes refer to on the piano. Sing the piece so that the rhythm is learned by rote with the words instead of counting but of course a smart kid might soon connect the notes with what is sang. Then teach the few required chords. You do need to discard the "position method" for a while and just teach her to move around on the keyboard more freely. But still be consistent with the fingering of course.

I don't see how it would add to your credibility as a teacher if you tell her this is way over her head and she will later realize that it really wasn't. Which may well happen if she talks to someone who has done something like it. So if you don't want to do it, just tell her that it is possible but it would interfere with the teaching process at this point.

When it comes to teaching reading notation in general I grew up with Michael Aron where you learn to play from the staff from day one. So I kinda find it strange how slow things are sometimes taught. Can't say if it is better or worse. That method is often thought a bit old fashioned here because it is so fixed on the hand positions for so long. There really are many ways to learn and they all have their benefits and problems. If a perfect method was there, almost everyone would learn fast and would not need to quit because of frustration...

Of course you would have to make it clear that she would be required to practice daily at home. Every day without exception. I wonder how much the difficulties mentioned here come from lack of practice rather than the methods.

Last edited by outo; 02/17/17 01:32 AM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
When it comes to teaching reading notation in general I grew up with Michael Aron where you learn to play from the staff from day one. So I kinda find it strange how slow things are sometimes taught. Can't say if it is better or worse.

You might not be familiar with the current piano pedagogy that involves pre-staff notation, which teaches finger numbers, basic rhythm, and directional reading (using the black keys) before kids even learn the musical alphabet.

Once you learn this method, you might at first be shocked at how slow it goes. However, the more you use it, the more you will realize that the system sets a firm foundation upon which intervallic reading depends.

But, of course, that means you need to know what intervallic reading means in the first place.

It is not rocket science, but it is a science.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
When it comes to teaching reading notation in general I grew up with Michael Aron where you learn to play from the staff from day one. So I kinda find it strange how slow things are sometimes taught. Can't say if it is better or worse.

You might not be familiar with the current piano pedagogy that involves pre-staff notation, which teaches finger numbers, basic rhythm, and directional reading (using the black keys) before kids even learn the musical alphabet.

Once you learn this method, you might at first be shocked at how slow it goes. However, the more you use it, the more you will realize that the system sets a firm foundation upon which intervallic reading depends.

But, of course, that means you need to know what intervallic reading means in the first place.

It is not rocket science, but it is a science.

Just a little reminder that I am not an American nor English, so I may not be familiar with the terms you use in US. Also I do think that what you describe as current may only be that is US and a rarity elsewhere. New things do travel slow and sometimes they never really do. Pedagogical research of very high quality exists outside the English speaking world as well and you may not be familiar with other "current" trends, based on science as well. But I think we can agree that what was done 50 years ago may not be the best way to go today.

But be assured that I know what intervallic reading is and yes, I have heard of pre staff notation before (on this same forum). I am sceptic, but I would not judge without experience.

I do believe that it can work as a long term project. What is discussed here is a short term project and if and how to do it. And what to tell the student if one decides not to.

K
K
You are speaking to people who have appointed Betsy DeVos as Secretary of Education. We are that different. https://www.theatlantic.com/nationa...-school-success/250564/?utm_source=atlfb

Hello my name,
first of all you are the teacher here, and you have your own gut instinct. Deep down you already know what you want to do, I would go and do it.
In my opinion, if you teach this piece in any other way that teaching this student how to read it, it will come and haunt you sooner rather than later.
Teachers, please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that those students with ease to read music show it from the very beginning (I do only have limited experience my self by observing my own children and their friends learning process, but there are remarkable differences in what I have seen) Those struggling (or learning at a slower pace by comparison) at the early stages and not very secure with finger numbers will find relief of learning any piece in a way different than by reading.
If you teach this piece by rote, your student will probably discover how much easier it is to play by copying others than learning to read. If you teach her how to memorize at the beginning of her piano path, other skills will take more effort and much longer to develop properly. Now is the school play, but she will present you other pieces soon.
If I was the teacher, I would offer an alternative to play in this occasion.Something that will not stop or slow down your lesson plan. Something that will be a true reflection of she can achieve in the short time you have.
But again, I am not a teacher, and my perspective can be totally skewed

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Puylly Fog
Hello my name,
In my opinion, if you teach this piece in any other way that teaching this student how to read it, it will come and haunt you sooner rather than later.

Two comments.

One, they are using prestaff notation. So they're not doing staff reading yet anyway. (I've seen prestaff notation only once: when I took my first lesson with my first teacher, as an experienced adult on other instruments. She started with the beginner book and had me read straight through until she found my level, then we started there. If you haven't seen prestaff before (and I hadn't) it is HARD! It made my brain hurt translating it into what I knew on the fly.

Two, I wish I had been exposed to other-than-sheet-music playing early. I had some basic music education at age 9, started band instruments at 12, accepted that I would never play by ear, then at age 52 started to realize I could, a little. I'd never learned anything by rote. It's still a struggle and I wish I'd started earlier.

I would predict that a beginner would have no trouble learning the notes to this but might have a lot of trouble playing it fluently. I remember how fluency eluded me starting out, and I focused on it.

gotta go practice
I never said not to train on other things but reading. I said evaluate if that will hinder the process and follow your lesson plan.
I personally memorize without effort, and going back to the page requires a lot of brain power. It will be different for others. Our own experience is unique, but for sure there must be common trends that tend to happen more often than not

Typos edited.

Last edited by Puylly Fog; 02/17/17 10:58 AM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Based on my own experiences and what I've heard from other piano learners and teachers (both here and in music shool), I would guess that the common trend most likely to manifest is that people who are allowed to do what comes naturally to them early on (be that reading or playing by ear or learning by rote) will tend to keep doing that even when the situation ideally calls for something else. That's why Tim struggles to play anything without a score, while I struggle to play anything with one.

So if this student naturally gravitates towards playing by ear or by rote, were I her teacher, I'd definitely tell her to wait until she can read enough to figure the piece out by herself using the score. But if she's in need of ear training, could this perhaps be a worthy challenge for her?

Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P

Yes.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
Yes.
You can also use the "quick quote" button on the full reply screen.

Du holde Kunst...
M
M
Originally Posted by kaziranga
You are speaking to people who have appointed Betsy DeVos as Secretary of Education. We are that different. https://www.theatlantic.com/nationa...-school-success/250564/?utm_source=atlfb

This has nothing to do with this thread.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by Puylly Fog
Hello my name,
first of all you are the teacher here, and you have your own gut instinct. Deep down you already know what you want to do, I would go and do it.
Teachers, please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that those students with ease to read music show it from the very beginning (I do only have limited experience my self by observing my own children and their friends learning process, but there are remarkable differences in what I have seen) Those struggling (or learning at a slower pace by comparison) at the early stages and not very secure with finger numbers will find relief of learning any piece in a way different than by reading.
If you teach this piece by rote, your student will probably discover how much easier it is to play by copying others than learning to read. If you teach her how to memorize at the beginning of her piano path, other skills will take more effort and much longer to develop properly. Now is the school play, but she will present you other pieces soon.
If I was the teacher, I would offer an alternative to play in this occasion.Something that will not stop or slow down your lesson plan. Something that will be a true reflection of she can achieve in the short time you have.
But again, I am not a teacher, and my perspective can be totally skewed

I don't think it's as disastrous as you may think. And I recommend that she uses this to help the student with finger numbers, and some basics on reading, but supplement with rote where it's too advanced for her.

And playing by ear isn't the worst thing either. In ungrad we called it "ear training" and we had several classes on it.

Since the child just started piano, it would be a shame to squash her enthusiasm so early on.

Of course, you go in saying that this is way above her level of playing and she'll have to work hard on it. Then pick a date by which you, the teacher, can decide if she will be able to get it ready in time. Have some concrete goals so she knows what to aim for. That way, if she doesn't reach those goals, then she doesn't play that piece, and you the teacher get to pick the piece she plays.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jdw

I actually think it should be legato, but then I'm a choral singer (O give me a home where the buffalo roam--one phrase, no punctuation).

True, true. Me being caught thinking like a pianist again (a pianist should never think like a pianist! Those who sing or play instruments which require breathing have it so easy!) wink

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!

Current:
1998 PETROF Model IV Chippendale
LEGO Grand Piano (IDEAS 031|21323)
YAMAHA PSR-520

Past:
2017 Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony
1991 Kawai 602-M Console in Oak
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Since the child just started piano, it would be a shame to squash her enthusiasm so early on.

I agree with you in spirit, but there are so many question marks in this endeavor. My inclination is to play it safe and say "no" to the kid.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission