2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
58 members (accordeur, Chrispy, 36251, anotherscott, c++, andredatele, 19 invisible), 456 guests, and 503 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Getting started with Jazz
#2614921 02/16/17 12:21 AM
Y
OP Offline
Y
Hi all, a little background I'm a fairly decent pianist however I'm completely clueless when it comes to "jazz" I know some harmonies and chords etc and have a decent ear but still I don't know where to start with learning standards etc for instance accompanying the melody in jazz. Usually what I play would be stylistically wrong. I've heard of certain books like "The Jazz Piano Book" but basically I just need kind of step by step advice on what to do with actually learning the standards. My goal is to be able to play Solo jazz piano in like bars and hotels and stuff like that. Stylistically I like ballade-y lounge type stuff haha. I hope someone can help.

Regards

YN

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Getting started with Jazz
YoungNoir #2614934 02/16/17 01:25 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Tim Richards' books: Improvising Blues Piano and succesor Exploring jazz Piano
Very clearly explained and nice to read!

Also watch some Bill Hilton youtube tutorial video's - very well explained.

YoungNoir #2615043 02/16/17 10:32 AM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
There are a number of websites that might be very helpful to you.

The one I would start with if I were you is ...

https://www.pianogroove.com/jazz-piano-lessons/

It gives you access to a number of FREE lessons on playing jazz standards.

If you can deal with that instruction and do some of the free lessons, it might be all you need.

If you need more help with basics you could try ....

http://jazzpianoonline.com/

or ...

https://pianowithwillie.jazzedge.com/

Which one you choose depends upon what you know now.

Good Luck

Last edited by dmd; 02/16/17 10:40 AM.

Don

Casio PX-S1000, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used), Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
YoungNoir #2615047 02/16/17 10:42 AM
J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Some thoughts:
1. You'll need to the the Real Books or (my preference), the New Real Books. Those are the lead sheets for the commonly played standards.
2. As a former classical player who now plays jazz, you'll need to re-program your brain. Jazz is a different animal. Rather than thinking so much about the notes you are playing, you think about the groove and the harmonic structure. You'll need to learn about chord progressions.
3. I can't recommend books or websites, as I study with a teacher. Teachers are great, and many use the internet to give lessons.
4. You don't want to use the Jazz Piano Book, even though it's my bible. One reason is that it's really a reference work, not a method book. The other reason is:
5. Playing solo and playing with a group involve different skills. When there is a bass player, you generally use rootless voicings. For solo piano, you'll be playing the bass line in some fashion (the Jazz Piano Book is more focused on playing in a group context). Playing solo is harder than playing in a group, but it can be fun.
6. Listen, listen and the listen some more. Find people who play solo jazz piano that you like. You won't play like them, but you'll absorb the rhythm and feel. You can get lots of recommendations here. I recently wanted to play some solo blues piano, and found Ray Bryant's Alone With The Blues. You can't learn jazz without spending hours listening to that masters (and that's not exactly at chore!).

Hope some of this helps.

YoungNoir #2615053 02/16/17 11:03 AM
Y
OP Offline
Y
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. Yeah at the moment im doing my funny valentine by ear. and my arrangements...well idk there's this lingering Chopin vibe going on so its getting used to this style change. Also where can I learn about what certain type of chords are I vaguely understand altered chords etc but there's chords I have found and am starting to recognise by ear but still have no idea what they are and example and I'll use C. A C dominant 7 in left hand (C E Bb) and then a d major in right hand (d F# a d) and also a c dominant 7 left hand But this time the right hand is playing Gb major chord inverted for example (C E Bb Db Gb Bb) like what even is that haha it sounds nice but I like to know what I'm doing.

Cheers guys

YoungNoir #2615054 02/16/17 11:06 AM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Well, those sites I provided will give you much of what you are mentioning.

P.S. The Chord you mentioned is probably an upper structure triad off the sharped 11th.

That is not where to begin. LOL ...

Please look into those sites I provided. I think they will be perfect for you, especially the middle one. It provides a solid curriculum for this type of thing.

Last edited by dmd; 02/16/17 11:10 AM.

Don

Casio PX-S1000, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used), Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
YoungNoir #2615055 02/16/17 11:09 AM
Y
OP Offline
Y
Also yeah thanks jjo the bit about listening stands out a lot. Can someone give me some great players to listen to particularly Solo jazz piano. I do like trios etc aswell but I want to listen to more solo stuff.. By now obviously I've listened to Tatum, Evans et al but who else plays solo piano I should be checking out. Dmd I will have a look at them links now thanks

Regards

YN

Last edited by YoungNoir; 02/16/17 11:11 AM.
YoungNoir #2615102 02/16/17 01:23 PM
Thank you for the shout out dmd!

The chords that you were mentioning YoungNoir are upper structure triads (USTs). They can really transform your playing. I have lessons on them at my site.

In a nutshell, there are 5 common USTs in use on dominant chords, II, bIII, bV, bVI and VI, all major, the roman numeral referring to the scale degree of the triad. For example, a C7 with a II UST would be a C7 with a D major triad. C7 with a VI UST would have an A major triad.

There are others and can be used on qualities other than dominant (although that's where they work best).

Write me for more info!

BTW dmd, do you have a CFX? What do you think of it?

Bill
bill@jazzpianoonline.com
www.JazzPianoOnline.com
Online Jazz Piano Lessons
Yamaha C7 Disklavier DC7ENSPRO
JazzPianoOnline #2615106 02/16/17 01:42 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by JazzPianoOnline
BTW dmd, do you have a CFX? What do you think of it?

I rarely use any of my VSTs.

I really cannot give you anything specific that makes me feel that way other than the sound I get with my ES8 (modified with mixer and ES8 parameters) is more to my liking than any of my VSTs. I wished it were not true but it is so I have sort of bowed out of the VST world.

Perhaps a part of that is my sound system, I do not know.

Don

YoungNoir #2615135 02/16/17 02:47 PM
E
E
Originally Posted by YoungNoir
Can someone give me some great players to listen to particularly Solo jazz piano...but who else plays solo piano I should be checking out?

My favorite is Bill Evans but an often overlooked pianist who could play great solo jazz piano is Dave Brubeck. He usually is lumped in with his old quartets, but he could play very hip, forward-looking solo piano for his time:

YoungNoir #2615142 02/16/17 03:05 PM
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N
George Shearing :

JazzPianoOnline #2615168 02/16/17 04:06 PM
Y
OP Offline
Y
Yeah this is exactly what I was talking about, I didn't know there was a name for it "UST's" this has opened my eyes a lot. I'm intrigued to know where else they are commonly used other than dominant. Have you got any ideas about how to improvise and start learning standards in the correct style. I'm optimistic but at the moment it feels like a mountain, mainly because you don't really know where to start or what to even practice with these kind of things. Hope you can help.

Regards

YN

YoungNoir #2615170 02/16/17 04:09 PM
Y
OP Offline
Y
Will check out the links being posted, thanks guys. I really like Nat Cole's block chord style aswell but I know it's more geared towards accompanying himself singing, albeit he was an absolute monster at the piano. Any info on that anyone. Cheers. YN

YoungNoir #2615355 02/17/17 05:03 AM
I
I
You could try transcribing the trumpet solo in So what (don't cheat by looking at the sheet music for this solo). Then you have that as an inspiration for your own soloing. Also, learn soloing by singing a phrase and repeat it on your piano.

Last edited by iamanders; 02/17/17 05:04 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The 100 Hardest Piano Concertos
by achoo42 - 11/30/20 06:19 PM
MIDI to USB double output
by lukasz-zsakul - 11/30/20 04:57 PM
Chopin's Nocturne op 27 no.2 vs. op.72 no.1
by RhaegarTargaryen - 11/30/20 03:51 PM
back after 34 years
by JerryLouis - 11/30/20 02:44 PM
Roland FP-30 Bluetooth Connectivity Issue
by Yaboku - 11/30/20 01:08 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,170
Posts3,029,003
Members99,437
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission