2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:ajames
Experience:3.5
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:Bach short prelude in Cmin BWV 934
Composer:J.S. Bach
Duration:02:01
Instrument used:Kawai model 350
Recording method:Zoom H4n
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:I really enjoy Bach, just wish his music didn't make me feel like I have some kind of brain damage!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Piano2138
Experience:10 months (+ a couple of years, years ago)
Title of piece:Lost
Composer:Milne, Elissa
Duration:01:39
Source of music:Celebration Series - Piano Repertoire Level 1, 2015 edition
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP-585
Recording method:Piano to USB, WAV normalized & converted to MP3 with Audacity
Additional info:Milne is an Australian contemporary composer, with wonderful educational pieces. Lost is a short, but to express the sadly indication, a challenging piece.

I've added the result of my work on a piece well beyond my level - as planned, the almost 7 beginning bars from Pavane pour une infante defunte by Ravel, a piece I love listening (in particular in the interpretation of Kun-Woo Paik).
Given my current level, I struggled with many things (technique, musicality, how to keep the sound soft), but a great learning experience in fingering, harmony and memory.

Thanks for listening.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:dynamobt/Marilyn
Experience:Easily 8 or 9 years as a kid. Dropped piano for decades. Currently 5 years with present teacher
Title of piece:Kreisleriana - Sehr Langsam (#4)
Composer:Robert Schumann
Duration:03:23
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:1918 fully restored Mason & Hamlin BB
Recording method:Zoom H2n to Audacity
Additional info:I became obsessed with Kreisleriana after Yuja Wang played it at Carnegie Hall last year. I've listened to many artists play it since. Trifonov, Argerich, Horowitz for just a few.

I asked my teacher last Fall before my shoulder replacement if she thought any of the piece was within my grasp. She said, "Go for it!" So, I sightread what I could of the various movements and settled on #4 as the most doable. It's been my shoulder rehab piece after surgery to replace my right shoulder in October.

I'm currently trying to learn #8. Time will tell how many movements I can conquer.

It's snowing out. My lesson was cancelled today. So thought I would make use of the extra time and record today. As usual, it's my "one take and done". I'm still a little more percussive than I would like in my playing. I have the opportunity to play it for a UNH Music professor in a master class on the 18th. I'm looking forward to him helping me make the piece more musical.

I had yogurt and almonds for lunch.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Forrest Halford
Experience:I should be better than I am.
Video link:https://youtu.be/4VRGRMkW9Kc
Title of piece:Brahms Intermezzo, Op. 117, #2
Composer:Brahms
Duration:05:21
Source of music:Dover Publication (sheet music) played by memory
Instrument used:Baldwin Model L
Recording method:Zoom Q2HD
Additional info:Richard (Zrtr90) saw that I was working on these three Intermezzi and since he was submitting #1, asked if I would possibly submit one of the others. Sure I said, since when someone you consider a mentor makes a request you should do it. So here I am facing my fears and the red dot. I love playing, it's great therapy, but somehow I feel better if I think no one is listening, although I want them to listen. What a conundrum!!
This piece, as all of Brahms mature work, is tightly composed, rewarding to study and to play. Even though the piece is in Bb minor, you never get the Bb minor chord in root position until the very end. Brahms is the master of tonal ambiguity!
The Op. 117 set, as well as Bach 870 and 883, along with Debussy are being readied for my great niece's wedding in April of this year. There will be a red dot there, so I should just suck it up, right?
My Grandfather was four years old when these were published, but he had no idea who Brahms was. Likewise, Brahms had no idea who my grandfather was. Brahms was 59, the same age I'll be one week after that wedding.

Please pardon the sound of traffic. I live on a highway that sees 10,000 cars a day flying by at 55+.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Newbert
Experience:About 4 years as a "re-starting" adult, after giving it up for about 45 years.
Title of piece:Daydreaming
Composer:Ron Drotos
Duration:02:36
Source of music:Sheet Music plus Improvisation
Instrument used:Kawai VPC1 using Garritan CFX VST software.
Recording method:digital to PC
Additional info:This "piece" is actually an exercise from the "Flowing Waters" Module of Ron Drotos's Improvisation Course. I wasn't originally going to submit anything for this recital, since I've mainly been working on exercises found in two online courses that I'm taking, and have no new "pieces" ready. But I felt that this "exercise" was pleasant in its own right, so decided to submit it.

The first half of the recording is played from sheet music while the second half's RH melody is improvised over the repeating chord progression. The goal of the exercise is twofold: First, to get comfortable with the LH progression so that it becomes automatic and second-nature, and Second, to get comfortable in letting the RH "flow" (with no hesitations) in creating the improvisation.

Yes, the chord progression and the basic RH melody are both simple but the goal is to get comfortable with improvising. I hope that it shows through in this performance.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:SMA55 (Shepherd Abrams)
Experience:I was self taught as a child, but I (finally) began lessons almost 3 years ago.
Video link:https://youtu.be/15gEtpIHp90
Title of piece:Nocturne in Bb Minor
Composer:Frederic Chopin
Duration:05:55
Source of music:From memory
Instrument used:Steinway Model B
Recording method:Recorded with iPhone using Zoom iQ6 external microphone, uploaded to iMovie and Audacity, converted into mp4 and mp3 files.
Additional info:This is my second submission to ABF. Apart from a few minor gaffes, I'm mostly pleased with this one. I don't know why the video is slightly out of sync with the audio, as both came from the same source--my iPhone. Perhaps it was the titling that did it? Anyway, thanks a ton for listening! And please feel free to offer any constructive feedback.

Last edited by BB Player; 02/19/17 09:19 AM. Reason: Fixed video link
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:kalospiano
Experience:1 year and a half
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Ze1gM_01M
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/kalos-piano
Title of piece:Sakura (Cherry Blossoms)
Composer:Rudolf Dittrich (arranger)
Duration:03:17
Source of music:http://imslp.org/wiki/Nippon_Gakufu_(Dittrich,_Rudolf)
Instrument used:Roland FP30
Recording method:Pianoteq
Additional info:I'm playing here a traditional Japanese song in the piano version arranged by Rudolf Dittrich.

There are other more modern versions around Youtube but I've never managed to find this one, which I believe keeps more intact the Eastern sound.

I'm taking quite a lot of liberty as regards to the tempo. The original version is faster, but I believe a slower pace, especially in certain sections (like the beginning) gives the music a more solemn feel.

I'm also using an old J. Schantz model in Pianoteq instead of the D4 I normally use, as I believe it sounds even more oriental with this string-y timbre, closer to an harpsichord, or, why not, a Japanese instrument like the Koto.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Greener/Jeff
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVdu7BEY43Q
Title of piece:Db Nocturne
Composer:Chopin
Duration:04:59
Instrument used:Yamaha UX-1
Additional info:I had worked on this piece for the recital of last May 2016. At the time it was all I had worked on for the recital so I recorded it, but the last 3rd fell completely apart. I had not completed learning it. Nonetheless, I left it after that and moved on to other things.

Well, I am now trying to get in the habit of completing pieces and not leaving behind so easily. I've had far too many pieces in this state already in my past, and don't want to perpetuate that more now. I decided to try to complete learning it and started in about November after the last recital.

There are some really tricky sections in this for me, which I've found very challenging to get smooth and nice, within a steady tempo. I remember hearing my Dad play it when I was young and always admiring the sound of the quick 3rds, 6ths and chromatic runs. Speed has never really been my thing though and it shows in areas requiring it.

As this is my 2nd time around with it, I will not be spending a great deal more time on it for very long. I will try to keep it up from time to time though, as I now do with many others like it. I appreciate any comments and suggestions that may be left and will apply them as I'm able. I remember what has been suggested for other pieces like Ab Waltz or Moonlight Sonata (from past recitals) and think of them any time I am playing these pieces. I do still play them and the suggestions always makes them better.

Thank you for listening.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Ganddalf
Experience:More than 50 years
Title of piece:"Sommerfugl" (Butterfly, Op.43 no.1)
Composer:Grieg
Duration:01:52
Source of music:Peters edition
Instrument used:Yamaha AvantGrand N1 hybrid piano
Recording method:Zoom H1
Additional info:This is the first time I submit one of Grieg's Lyric Pieces to one of the ABF quarterly recitals. Choosing "Butterfly" was perhaps a bad idea, since it is one of the most frequently played, and it is pretty challenging although it takes just below 2 minutes to play. Moreover I'm haunted by some bad habits from my young days when I "played" this piece in a just terrible way. I have tried to make a more polished version now, and I hope that you enjoy listening in spite of my shortcomings.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:MaryBee
Experience:too many years on my own; past 8 years with a teacher
Title of piece:Intermezzo Op. 117 No. 1
Composer:Brahms
Duration:04:45
Source of music:http://imslp.org/
Instrument used:Charles Walter 1520 upright
Recording method:Tascam DR-08. Converted to MP3 using Audacity
Additional info:My teacher suggested that I try a Brahms piece and pointed me to Op. 118 No.3. But after listening to Op. 117 No.1 and falling under its charm, I decided to start my acquaintance with Brahms here.
A lullaby is implied from the inscription on the first page of the score. These lines read, "Sleep softly, my child, sleep softly and well! It breaks my heart to see you weep."
This piece is very much about its three voices and phrasing. It was fun deciding on the voice emphasis for each section, and playing with phrasing to see how it changed the resulting sound. Surprising to me, I did not feel intimidated by the 6 flats in the middle section. Maybe I'm finally starting to figure this out! The third section is my favorite, with some beautiful sixteenth note passages in the right hand.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:CRP
Experience:I started trying to teach myself at age 39, then decided to get a teacher after hitting a few walls. I have taken regular lessons for one and half years now, at 44. No other previous musical education.
Title of piece:Comptine d'un autre ete - L'apres midi
Composer:Yann Tiersen
Duration:02:36
Source of music:sheet music found on the net...
Instrument used:Steinway Model B
Recording method:via IPhone "Voice Memos" App, then converted m4p file to mp3 with ffmpeg
Additional info:This is the first "longer" piece that I have tackled since starting to play, and I have quite a few issues remaining concentrated throughout the piece. I can play short sections fine, but there is currently no way for me to go through the whole pieces without getting distracted at a certain point.
Unfortunately I will not have access to the piano for the next few days, so the version I uploaded, which contains a number of mistakes, is the best I could do, sorry wink

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Sam S
Experience:I restarted about 8 years ago after 30+ years of no piano.
Title of piece:Sonata K380
Composer:Scarlatti, Domenico
Duration:05:19
Source of music:Henle
Instrument used:1927 Bechstein Model L - 90 years old this year!
Additional info:This is one of the more famous Scarlatti Sonatas, since Horowitz used to play it. I love it, but I would not have picked it just because it is so familiar - my new teacher wanted me to do it. When something is familiar, then if I play if differently (which I have to do - couldn't play it like Horowitz anyway), people think - "that's too slow", "that's too loud", and so forth. Much better to pick one of the less well known Sonatas - Scarlatti wrote about 600!

I try to play it bright and crisp, more baroque harpsichord than romantic piano. I am going for an echo effect at times, especially in the introduction, but that's hard to pull off.

My piano is 90 years old this year - I should have a birthday party. I moved it to a new room in the house, and I have not yet figured out how to tame the sound in that room. There's no furniture! I've got the lid closed and the fabric cover on so the balance is way off. More experimentation is required (and some furniture). My wife is making me a full-size quilt to hang on the wall - that should help!

I'm playing this in a recital next month. I recorded it in one take, from memory. That is a major accomplishment for me - I never thought I would be able to say that! The new teacher has really helped with my memory problems.

Thanks for listening!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:SandTiger
Experience:5 years
Home page link:http://sandtigerpiano.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:Fading Light
Composer:Sand Tiger
Duration:01:38
Source of music:Original composition.
Instrument used:Casio PX150
Recording method:On board recording. Transferred to PC. Audacity used to boost the signal.
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:The motif came to me during the last days of summer, and that was the working title for a while.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Kris Shendo
Experience:Several years as a child, many lapsed years, recently returned as an adult.
Title of piece:Jacob's Theme
Composer:James Newton Howard
Duration:01:26
Source of music:Memorised from watching film
Instrument used:VPC-1 with Ravenscroft sample library
Recording method:Digitally into laptop
Additional info:Recently I saw the film Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and liked the catchy little tune that emerged a couple of times in association with the "no-maj" (no magic) character Jacob Kowalski. I've tried an adaptation of the basic piano tune, which appears in the film in what I think are different keys - C minor and G minor. I've put it together in two halves for the different keys and improvised the bits where, in the film, other parts of the orchestra come in. As it's a simple tune it should have been easy but I've never tried playing anything "jazzy" or syncopated before so I actually found it quite tricky, but really enjoyed the process anyway. I hope you like it!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:that'sRich
Experience:5 years of lessons from age of 7 to 12 then about
2 1/2 years from age 27.
Title of piece:Night in May
Composer:Selim Palmgren
Duration:03:42
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Upright acoustic piano - Waldemar(Berlin) - Manufactured in 1909.
Recording method:Zoom H4
Additional info:Also known as 'May Night','Spring Night' or 'Kevatyo', in the language of its composer it was called 'Night in May' on my mother's old piece of music dating from the 1930s.
The Finnish composer Selim Palmgren (1878 - 1951) I have read was strongly influenced by Schumann and Chopin and although his music was rooted in the late Romantic tradition he was the first Finnish composer to use impressionistic elements.
This piece was No.4 of 4 pieces in Opus 27 and was written in 1907 (the year following the piece I played in my 1st recital No.42 - Rosemary by Frank Bridge). I understand it was very popular during the first few decades of the 20th century but has over the years like its composer become much more obscure. That being said I have learned that it was a Grade 7 option in the ABRSM examinations for 2015 - 2016. In notes following the piece in the syllabus it mentions that full use is made of this composer's extensive tonal palette.
With this piece the volume level mostly is supposed to be quiet - with several pp's and also ppp's. I had problems playing chords successfully at these levels worrying that often one or two notes wouldn't sound. Consequently I ended up not playing as quietly as it should be played. That included a section half way through which was supposed to be played diminuendo - a run of changing chords in quavers - which I didn't manage to play in diminuendo! I might have managed this better if my piano had a lighter weight of touch.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:jazztpt
Experience:41
Title of piece:Time For Bed
Composer:jazztpt
Duration:02:47
Source of music:Original
Instrument used:Roland HP507
Recording method:Recorded direct to piano and converted to MP3 in Audacity
Additional info:I wrote this tune about 30 years ago and it has taken various transformations in that time, mainly because I (hopefully) can play the piano a bit better now. It was written as a bedtime song for my children and the original version was really quiet simple.
A couple of recordings of this up to date version have appeared in the Piano Bar in the past few years and this is the latest development. Recorded in one take there is the odd moment where 'unexpected' things happened, no doubt due to the red dot but I managed to plough through. So in effect I have been playing this for 30+ years, you'd think I would have it right by now LOL
Thanks for listening.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Moonsh1ne
Experience:3.5 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/nry2ntlqzlY
Title of piece:Waltz in A Minor, Op. Posthumous
Composer:Frederick Chopin
Duration:02:17
Source of music:imslp.org
Instrument used:August Forster 190
Recording method:iPad w/ Tascam iM2
Additional info:2nd take

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:lyricmudra
Experience:Learned piano as a child but stopped when I was about 13 or 14 years old. Did not touch the piano for 35 years until about six years ago. Like many of us here at ABF, life and profession just took over. I remember learning from a Thompson book and moving on to Hanon lessons, but skipping the scale exercises entirely, which if I recall correctly was almost half of the Hanon book. Then I had some Czerny for velocity and dexterity. My piano teacher, however, preferred that I jump right into 'real' pieces and learn technique along the way. Unfortunately, music theory was not part of my lessons. This is why I am unable to comprehend a piece conceptually or structurally, or why I don't have the language to explain what I am doing musically. My early training lacked this intellectual component. However, I believe I learned the most by being part of a boys' choir, by understanding early enough that playing the piano is like singing, knowing the importance of connectedness (legato) and phrasing, and understanding the breath during emotional expression. These were the elements that accelerated my process of relearning the piano later in life. I have not had a piano teacher since I started the relearning process, but would like to work with one in the future. I am willing to start at a more basic level if that will provide me with a more 'proper' and thorough training that includes sight reading, aural training, music theory, etc.. For now, I play the piano primarily for pleasure and personal fulfillment.
Video link:https://youtu.be/z3BObRsWkHQ
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/user/lyricmudra
Title of piece:Monday
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:06:17
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Kawai RX-2 Blak
Recording method:Kodak Zi8 (video) and Zoom H4N (audio)
Additional info:Having been inspired by Monica K.'s, CarlosCC's, and others' Einaudi repertoire, I thought I'd give THE man a try! I fell in love with Einaudi's 'Monday' the first time I heard it, and thoroughly enjoyed learning the piece. It is my first 'non-classical' piece and the very first I've memorized as an adult learner (I had no choice given its length!). Being primarily a classical piano learner, there were several unfamiliar musical patterns in the piece that my brain and fingers were challenged with. It also took some amount of 'unlearning' my classical piano leanings, which I believe still showed through in this performance. I hope you all like it though!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:carlos88
Experience:4 as a returning adult.
Video link:https://youtu.be/Ak0muHqAsoI
Title of piece:Our Town, III. The Resting-place on the Hill
Composer:Aaron Copland
Duration:03:50
Source of music:Our Town, Three Piano Excerpts from the Film Score.
Instrument used:Yamaha
Recording method:Samsung phone
Additional info:I'm a sucker for most of Copland's earlier works, especially the ones with open chords and slow moving lines.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:sinophilia
Experience:5 years
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhqxFyTILgs
Title of piece:A Curious Story - Op. 15 no. 2
Composer:Robert Schumann
Duration:01:21
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha W110BW
Recording method:iPhone 6s
Additional info:Scenes from Childhood is a set of 13 Romantic pieces by Robert Schumann. This is the third one I learned after nos. 1 and 13. It has a thick 4-voice texture and an upbeat tempo, with contrasting jumpy sections and softer legato parts.

I learned the notes quickly, but the pedalling gave me headaches and my left hand has a hard time keeping up. Thank God it's short! During this recording I hit a key by mistake during the first part repeat, but didn't have any other major mishap, so it's definitely a winner.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission