Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Who's Online Now
124 registered members (ajames, Adypiano, accordeur, Almaviva, agraffe, aleksivu, 28 invisible), 2,006 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#2617554 - 02/24/17 07:04 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Peyton]  
kris shendo Offline
kris shendo  Offline

Originally Posted by Peyton
33. Kris Shendo- Kris, did you come home and play this after watching the film? If so, then you have one heck of a memory!

Thank you for your kind words. In fact I saw the film twice, and my partner and I both remembered bits of the tune. I put together what we both thought was the main melody, but it won't be true to the original as there was some guess-work and a couple of made-up sections!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2617558 - 02/24/17 07:20 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: piano_primo_1]  
kris shendo Offline
kris shendo  Offline

Originally Posted by piano_primo_1

33. Kris Shendo - Jacob's Theme
Impressively clean clear sound and playing, very professional .. enjoyed it a lot !!
What a vpc-1?

It's a software piano controller made by Kawai - it belongs to a friend who has let me use his set-up. Many thanks for your kind comments.

#2617577 - 02/24/17 08:42 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
SMA55 Online content
SMA55  Online Content

Still a few people I haven't yet thanked: Riddler, Greener, JoBert, Monica K., MarieJ, Barbara, Piano2138, cmb13, piano_primo_1. Thank you all for listening and for your kind comments!

#2617771 - 02/24/17 07:45 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Peyton  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Maine
43.- piano_primo- Very relaxing. Makes me want to light up a cigar and sit back with a martini. smile

49. Montuno- And well you should be proud. Well done!

"One's real life is often the life that one does not lead."- Oscar Wilde
www.youtube.com/Biffer5
www.peytonart.com

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2617841 - 02/25/17 02:42 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
MarieJ Offline
MarieJ  Offline

Queensland Australia
37. lyricmudra - Monday What a treat, especially for Einaudi aficionados! I’ve struggled with this one for some time, and appreciate the work involved. I loved your interpretation; like Monica, I hope you are now tempted to add more from ‘THE man’ to your repertoire. smile

38. carlos88 - Our Town, III. The Resting-place on the Hill I’m not familiar with the film, but I really enjoyed this dramatic piece - thank you!

39. sinophilia - A Curious Story - Op. 15 no. 2 Bright and bouncy - nicely done!

40. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Minuet in G 116 BWV Beautifully played. Congratulations on overcoming earlier flu and piano tuner setbacks!

41. Zoot64 - La Lutine You will wow/must have wowed the examiners with this - it was bright, crisp, confident.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-XLVI

An hour or two with my Yamaha C3 and Einaudi's music - my idea of happiness.
#2617899 - 02/25/17 10:36 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
J Soo Offline
J Soo  Offline

Sevens and eights this time. smile

07. AZ_Astro - When Rivers Flowed on Mars

You've brought this to a high polish indeed. Very evocative, lovely subtle rubato.

08. Peyton - Music For Tunnels

Nicely controlled development as you gradually introduce new elements. The significantly dissonant bit (when the a-flat comes in) gets left hanging, though, and I'm not quite convinced by it. But overall a strong shape and a distinct mood.

17. xyzzyFL (Susan) - Shangri-La

Congratulations on your return to piano! This is a very accomplished performance, you have an excellent feeling for it and seem technically assured.

18. Chris Beecham - Merry Farmer

Well, I can't but smile whenever I hear this, and picture myself in my Suzuki violin days. Played with assurance, maybe occasionally pressing the tempo (not sure if you mean to speed up over the course of the piece).

27. Greener/Jeff - Db Nocturne

Agree with SMA55 that the melody wants more bringing out, especially in the quieter sections. This piece is a big challenge and you've managed it well.

28. Ganddalf - "Sommerfugl" (Butterfly, Op.43 no.1)

Delightful! Beautiful leggiermente playing. Just wow.

37. lyricmudra - Monday

Your choral background and insights about making the piano sing are especially apropos to this style of music. Excellent use of dynamics and rubato to control the shape of this. Beautiful colors, aided by well controlled pedaling.

38. carlos88 - Our Town, III. The Resting-place on the Hill

The sound is severely compressed, I suspect that's the phone's recording setting; this takes away from the restful quality of the piece. However, your playing is fine and I enjoyed your very clear exposition of the motives and themes.

47. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Sonatina in C (Op. 36, No. 1, II - Andante)

Well done all around!

48. lvojnovic - BWV 939 Little prelude in C major

Very well done! My only suggestion is to break some of the long lines into shorter phrases.

I left the piano for a while, but it never left me
#2617952 - 02/25/17 03:16 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
wouter79 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Piano2138
Charming piece, played with confidence and melody.

Piano, glad that you like it !

Originally Posted by SMA55
Well, you're not alone; I hear the same things about my playing from my teacher all the time. I suppose that what I was saying about your struggling a bit to keep things up to tempo might be better described as some unevenness in your right hand. To be specific, I hear it at the 5-6, 8-9, 17, 25, and 32 sec marks in your recording. See if you can hear what I mean.

Thanks SMA55 for this additional details. Yes you are correct, some notes being too soft or too loud in these places. FAIK it's not a problem with the speed, but a technical issue with the finger juggling going on here.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
#2617957 - 02/25/17 03:23 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
wouter79 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by SwissMS
Brief, but beautiful! There is a lot going on in that one minute of music and you handled it well. I think you did a very nice job balancing the voices to good effect. Well played!

Good to hear, thanks!

Originally Posted by CRP
Very nice rendition from what sounds like a rather difficult piece.

Thank you CRP

Originally Posted by peterws
Tempo of OP15 5 is 168 quavers per minute, which really rocks. Now, I don't know why his stuff seems so fast, considering the title of this one, but maybe kids are excitable even when contented . . .but I guess a light touch is advisable under the circumstances.
Nothing what you did sounded wrong to me. I played it faster, but wasn't over happy at that speed.

Thanks Peter for the additional details smile Strange, my edition from Breitkopf & Härtel says "MM 132" and I play it at approximately that speed.

Originally Posted by kris shendo
There’s a lot going on here. I particularly like the way we’re thrown straight into the melody, and the separate LH and RH melodies shine through beautifully. Well played.

Kris, thanks for your nice comments!

Originally Posted by Justin Davis
That really was quite impressive. I think you made it sound easier than it probably is. If you make the baseline a little lighter and softer would that bring out the happier mood you are trying to achieve?

Yes, it took quite some work to make it sound easy smile Schumann doubled all the octaves, so I took it that he is talking about a thick happyness. This is why I talked about "like a chocolate cake" smile

#2617958 - 02/25/17 03:31 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
wouter79 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
wouter79  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Kalos Piano
can still be perfected, but already very good

Thanks Kalos! Please let me know if you have something specific to work on, apart from the spots mentioned already by SMA55 above

Originally Posted by Greener
Nice. Really clear and great acoustic sound. I've tried one of these and what I remember is that is was quite a bit trickier then I thought it would be, in terms of how it looked on the page and sounded. I'm interested now to look more at this series. Well done.

Greener thanks. Yes it's tricky but it sounds very nice even at slow speeds. I already did Traumerei and "Von Fremden Ländern und Menschen before. Maybe I will do more in the future

never heard this but nice repetitive motif. Well played.

Thanks!

#2618040 - 02/25/17 10:45 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
bSharp(C)yclist Online content
500 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

Orange County, California
I wanted to thank everyone that commented. My teacher had some comments today after I played for her - there are things I need to fix. You guys should have pointed them out to me before my lesson today, haha smile

#2618062 - 02/26/17 02:01 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
MarieJ Offline
MarieJ  Offline

Queensland Australia
42. Mike White Yamaha G3 & p-80 - Stormy Weather I’m in awe of people with great play-by-ear skills. A toe-tapping and very pleasant rendition - nice work!

43. Piano Primo 1 - "Inspiration" -Love Theme A late-night piano-bar contender - that was calm and relaxing. Thank you.

44. UnderConstruction - Nocturne Op9 No2 I loved the slower tempo. Just beautiful. Bravo!

45. briangmoore - Scarlatti Sonata in D minor K32 An unfamiliar piece to enjoy - and I certainly did! Nice ornamentation, by the way - well done.

46. PikaPianist - Sonata in A minor (Wq49/1), 3rd mvmt Running out of superlatives here - just amazing! A ‘rare gem’ of a performance; I was blown away.

#2618124 - 02/26/17 09:34 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
Kalos Piano Offline
Kalos Piano  Offline

second batch:

09. Monica K. - Ships of Troy
very nicely played, and special mention for recording quality smile beautiful piano and nicely placed mic = very good sound

10. Riddler (Ed) - I Rembember Clifford
excellent, professional level stuff, felt like I was in an elegant cocktail bar

11. JustinDAggie - Rondo Alla Turca
very good, just some more slow practice needed to perfect the last section. Also, do you use the pedal in the section from 2:31 to 2:46? If so, I feel you could use less.
On the D-C#-B section you might use 4-3-1 if that's easier for you, but you'll have to remember to use the 4 on the last C# in order to have the hand ready in the right position for the next chord. Honestly I never thought about using the 5th finger on the D and, although harder at high speed, that would allow the hand to remain in the same position all along, so I might just try it out smile

12. J Soo - Intermezzo (from Faschingsschwank aus Wien, op. 26)
beautiful piece. I didn't know it and I don't know how difficult it actually is, but the left hand sounds quite impressive. Bravo!

13. peterws - Lost elevator
impressive playing

14. h8dk97 - Bach's Invention# 13
I prefer a faster tempo on this one but I can hear that you've got the whole piece under control already and I'm sure it'll be no problem to speed it up with some more practice. Unfortunately can't offer much more technical advice as I haven't tried this invention out yet.

15. Richard (zrtf90) - Intermezzo, Op. 117/1
very soothing listening. Someone like me who doesn't know the piece wouldn't recognize any mistakes at all.

16. JoBert - Venetian Gondola Song (Songs Without Words - Opus 30, No. 6)
really... just... beautiful

nice pianobar material

18. Chris Beecham - Merry Farmer
I'd prefer a little more speed. A little more steady slow practice to gain perfect confidence and then it'll be perfect.

19. Tubbie0075 - Prelude pour Louis & 5 Pieces
These are all really beautiful compositions! congratulations! I would have definitely loved it as a present smile I hope you do more. I think the Prelude was my favorite.

20. ajames - Bach short prelude in Cmin BWV 934
nice, just some tiny flubs here and there

21. Piano2138 - Lost
I hear some things that don't sound right but it might just be me, I don't know the music so I can't really judge.

22. dynamobt/Marilyn - Kreisleriana - Sehr Langsam (#4)
I never managed to enjoy Kreisleriana much, I might give it another try, but this was very nicely played.

#2618526 - 02/27/17 02:02 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
Piano2138 Offline
Piano2138  Offline

31. Sam S - Sonata K380
Loved your interpretation! Very good dynamics and lively sound. Congratulations for the playing from memory achievement.

Modern sound, charming, confident interpretation.

34. that'sRich - Night in May
Interesting harmonies of an unknown piece and composer to me. Very nice interpretation!

35. jazztpt - Time For Bed
Beautiful composition, played with nostalgia.

36. Moonsh1ne - Waltz in A Minor, Op. Posthumous
Well played for someone with 3 ½ years of experience.

37. lyricmudra - Monday
Sensitive interpretation of your first Einaudi piece.

38. carlos88 - Our Town, III. The Resting-place on the Hill
Nice interpretation, beautiful and profound melody. A pity for the quality of the recording.

39. sinophilia - A Curious Story - Op. 15 no. 2
Well played, good dynamics and level of energy.

40. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Minuet in G 116 BWV
Nice cheerful playing. It’s on my short list of pieces to learn.

Slowly, Separately, Sections - Graham Fitch
My SoundCloud
#2618743 - 02/28/17 02:47 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
MarieJ Offline
MarieJ  Offline

Queensland Australia
47. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Sonatina in C (Op. 36, No. 1, II - Andante) Nice confident playing - good for you! You should do very well in your exam.

48. lvojnovic - BWV 939 Little prelude in C major Not an easy piece, but you overcame that Red Dot and managed it beautifully.

49. Montuno - Solitude You *should* be proud of this performance, particularly after only one year. Expressive and lovely.

50. blackjack1777 - Waltz A Minor Op. Posthumous I think you captured the mood of this well-known piece really well. (Hard to believe it wasn’t published until 1955!) I enjoyed it very much.

51. Pathbreaker - Prelude in c minor A challenging piece which you handled with flair. I’m glad you made the Recital deadline!

#2618859 - 02/28/17 11:15 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
CarlosCC Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CarlosCC  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Lisbon, Portugal
40. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Minuet in G 116 BWV
As you know I'm not a big fan of Bach, but I know this lovely Minuet! On the contrary, I'm a fan of your playing and I've been watching your progress along the time; I feel you're more mature and secure. Good job! thumb

08. Peyton - Music For Tunnels
Wow, this is really a piece for a movie. You got it, Peyton. Immersive, mysterious. I love this, including the "movie" and the way you play it!

05. SwissMS/Doris - Willy Wagglestick's Walkabout
And the "Big Surprise" award goes to... Doris! I wasn't expecting this and it shows how good you are as a pianist. I'm used to listening you play those classic pieces but this Boogie Woogie is fantastic. Very good! thumb

Once again, you are bringing new sounds and composers to this recitals. That's what I call innovation wink This piece by Hanna is really beautiful and full of messages, and IMO it demands a deep connection between the player and the instrument, and you did it! Thank you so much for sharing this thumb

31. Sam S - Sonata K380
Sam, I don't know if this is slowly or faster that the "original", but what I know is that you're playing it in your own way and that's what I value most when I'm listening a piece. I'm not a big fan of Scarlatti but I'm getting used to like this sounds and chords after hearing records like this one. Good job!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
#2618869 - 02/28/17 11:44 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
CarlosCC Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CarlosCC  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Lisbon, Portugal
Peter, I don't know where are you going to get your inspiration and I'm always looking forward to listen your originals. This time you're offering us a fresh and happy tune; simple but effective. I like it!

35. jazztpt - Time For Bed
Jazztpt, as you know I'm always looking forward to listen your pieces. I think you're a very talented musician, and this piece just proves what I'm saying: that you're always improving and searching for the best options - even in a 30yo tune like this -. Fantastic. thumb

28. Ganddalf - "Sommerfugl" (Butterfly, Op.43 no.1)
This is new for me, and this is somehow different from your last works. I like the way you gave "space" to the music, which is the key for this one. Good job!

43. Piano Primo 1 - "Inspiration" -Love Theme
This is very relaxing and sweet, and I like the reverb effect along the entire piece. Smart choice and nicely played. thumb

Wow, you can play this as if it were easy... I'm sorry, but I'm not in position to give any technical advice to you about his one... This is not my championship wink , but as a listener I know what I like, and I like this one very much. Very good job, and congratulations on your persistence to finish this piece. Keep it in your repertoire my friend. Please!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
#2618883 - 02/28/17 12:23 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
CarlosCC Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CarlosCC  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Lisbon, Portugal
03. MarieJ - Leo
Wise choice once again. "Leo" isn't easy to play but you're proving that being a self taught pianist isn't synonym of not be able to play beautiful pieces like this one. You know what you're doing and what do you want to produce, "just" because you're deeply connected with the piece. You're progressing like a rocket! Good job! thumb

02. earlofmar - Consolation No 1
This little piece is lovely and charming, and as far as I can see you're working hard after your "pause" with the piano. Welcome back! thumb

37. lyricmudra - Monday
This is just wonderful, and one of my favorites of this recital. I love the way you play it, specially how you manage to play the session at 2:48. I played this piece some years ago and I never liked the way I was playing this session. But you did it with mastery, and you have solve one of the big mysteries of this piece; IMO this session is the *key* to keep the ambiance of Monday - and I couldn't find it-, but know you're revealing how to do it. More, it's not too common to do a shift from classic composers to Einaudi, and I hope you can play more for us. For this, and for the overall work, a big thank you.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
#2619019 - 02/28/17 08:21 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
dynamobt Online content
500 Post Club Member
dynamobt  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

NH
I want to thank everyone who has commented so kindly about my Kreisleriana #4. I did play It in the master class. I got very good suggestions on how to improve it. It's such a beautiful little piece, I hope to memorize it and have it at hand to play at a moment's notice.

I never have had something I can just sit down and play. I love this so much, I hope this will be the one.

Again, thank you for the very positive comments.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#2619558 - 03/02/17 07:28 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
MarieJ Offline
MarieJ  Offline

Queensland Australia
I’m finally getting around to saying thank you:

To those who took the trouble to venture an opinion on my performance - I believe that you’ve given much kinder and more generous feedback than I deserve. I appreciate your comments enormously, and collect them each Recital, to cheer me on when progress seems elusive.

By its very nature, the self-teaching path can be a solitary one, so being given a regular opportunity to take part in these Recitals is particularly important to me. Thank you to Piano World, to the hard-working and dedicated officials who make these Recitals possible, and to staunch fellow members of the Order of the Red Dot. Another highly successful concert! thumb

#2619776 - 03/02/17 10:12 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
that'sRich Offline
that'sRich  Offline

I'm a bit late in getting started but here is my first batch of comments. I've really enjoyed the recitals and thanks to all who have written comments on my piece and all who have contributed a piece towards the recitals.

01. PawelS - Moonlight Sonata Op.27 No.2 Mov.1 Sensitive and flowing performance with just the right degree of expressiveness in the
melody which you emphasised beautifully. To me it showed excellent musicality especially for someone who has only been learning for 22 months.
A pleasure to listen to.

02. earlofmar - Consolation No 1 I like the solemn,stately feel of this piece and the way the melodic single note line was helped along
by the sonorous bold,ever changing chords. I didn't notice any pedal noise.

03. MarieJ - Leo A very charming and gentle piece which seems to reflect a young child in a safe caring environment.Your rendition is
sensitive and pleasant and your trills as well as the piece are a joy to listen to!

04. CarlosCC - Divenire I needed to listen to this two or three times to really appreciate the moods which were very evident during your
performance of this piece. There seemed to be a strong insistant statement being made that at times seemed troubled and tormented contrasting with
much milder and meditative portions. A very unexpected dramatic sudden ending! - but also very well played.

05. SwissMS/Doris - Willy Wagglestick's Walkabout Great fun to listen to this - and I can tell you had fun playing it! Looks like it's opened
up a new genre of music for you to add to your repertoire - you made a very good job of this - Good luck in your exams in May!

06. wouter79 - Gluckes genug, Kinderszenen, Op. 15, No. 5 I love the way this piece rolls merrily along from beginning to end. Also the
interchanging of statements between left hand and right hand with increase in volume coupled with rise in pitch each time to bring out expression.
Nice enjoyable performance.

11. JustinDAggie - Rondo Alla Turca A really lively stimulating performance.Seems a tricky piece to keep going without slipping up,especially
at that speed. Very enjoyable - well played!

12. J Soo - Intermezzo (from Faschingsschwank aus Wien, op. 26) Very impressive playing of a difficult piece full of passionate intensity.
This was all systems go! The melody line rang out beautifully over the busy accompaniment in the left hand.Extra praises for playing it from memory -
your teacher would be proud!

13. peterws - Lost elevator A joy to listen to this - a lot was going on - give and take of the melody between octaves as if one octave reflected
what the other was saying and then bringing in a higher octave still later in the piece to join in. Bright and lively and very well thought out and played!

14. h8dk97 - Bach's Invention# 13 This brought back memories - one of Bach Inventions I also learned. Very nice performance - I like the interweaving
of left and right hand parts which you played very well giving each equal importance. Nice playing - I enjoyed listening.

15. Richard (zrtf90) - Intermezzo, Op. 117/1 A lovely gently rocking performance of this piece which I have also been practicing sometimes. You do well
bringing out the melody in between the octaves.Beautiful melody - very soothing to listen to. Thank you.

16. JoBert - Venetian Gondola Song (Songs Without Words - Opus 30, No. 6) Enchanting piece and delightfully played with much feeling and passion.
Dynamics,trills etc. all excellent. A real joy to listen to.

21. Piano2138 - Lost A delightful,wistful little piece and seemed to convey a sad and lost feeling. The Pavane had a nice lilting sway effect as you
played it. Very pleasant.

22. dynamobt/Marilyn - Kreisleriana - Sehr Langsam (#4) A grand,brooding and rather sinister effect (particularly towards the end)seemed to be
predominant here for the first and last part of the piece but there was a light,sweeping contrast providing relief in the middle section.Excellently played.

23. Forrest Halford - Brahms Intermezzo, Op. 117, #2 I really liked the way this music had the characteristic of swirling around and at the same time
the volume seemed to expand and shrink back and expand again in a sweeping style - also the contrasting slower and chordal sections. Interesting dynamic
variations too. Delightful piece and excellently played.

24. Newbert - Daydreaming Yes,I thought your performance of this exercise from 'Flowing Waters'certainly flowed along very nicely without hesitations.
Well done with the improvising - and there was definitely a dreamy atmosphere here!

25. SMA55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Nocturne in Bb Minor Beautiful,sensitive and melifluous playing of this piece.Ornaments also brilliantly executed.This was
a real delight to listen to - and to also play from memory - you clearly are a very accomplished pianist!

26. kalospiano - Sakura (Cherry Blossoms) A very attractive oriental flavour shines through this piece.The 'plucking' effect of strings(like somewhere
between Koto and Harpsichord)is very evident although it's a keyboard. Exquisitely played arpeggios as well as equally well played piece.

31. Sam S - Sonata K380 A really bright and rhythmical piece. Very much a harpsichord effect came through and this suited the piece very well.Trills are all
superbly played and to not only play this but by memory as well shows a lot of hard work. Well done!

32. SandTiger - Fading Light I enjoyed listening to this - there seemed to be a three way conversation going on here in the music.The sustain pedalling helped
it flow and the high register with bell like effect added extra contrast. Very nice.

33. Kris Shendo - Jacob's Theme A lively,cheerful piece with jazzy chords and catchy rhythm and syncopation.The sort of tune that has a feel-good effect.
Very enjoyable to listen to.

35. jazztpt - Time For Bed Lovely piece - it shows you have a real aptitude for jazz style and syncopation in this piece which although originally simple sounds
quite complex to me. A great idea to write this piece for your children - they must have been proud of their dad! I hope you have written other pieces as well !

36. Moonsh1ne - Waltz in A Minor, Op. Posthumous Enjoyed listening to this - delicately played and nicely executed trills and ornaments.Also very good progress
for just 3 1/2 years experience.Well done!

41. Zoot64 - La Lutine A lively, bouncy piece - played evenly and crisply - and I thought you made a good job of the alternating contrasts in volume which I think
is possible on some harpsichords (with two keyboards or some mechanism)which I guess this piece would have been written for. Enjoyed listening to this.

42. Mike White Yamaha G3 & p-80 - Stormy Weather I liked this piece very much - excellently played and with a great deal happening alongside the melody - adding
much to the interest of your arrangement.Also I liked the Gershwin style chords and final arpeggios - really great!

43. Piano Primo 1 - "Inspiration" -Love Theme A lovely piece to relax and listen to with its enchanting chords and also runs such as when it comes to the end.
Very nice and enjoyable.

44. UnderConstruction - Nocturne Op9 No2 This is another piece that brings back memories for me. I also learned this piece and listening to it here makes me want
to re-learn it again.A lovely lilting and expressive performance with exquisitely played trills and ornaments and great rubato and dynamics.Loved it!

45. briangmoore - Scarlatti Sonata in D minor K32 A crisp,clean performance - particularly the ornaments.Liked the piece and nicely played.

46. PikaPianist - Sonata in A minor (Wq49/1), 3rd mvmt A really bright, lively and highly accomplished performance! Just wondering how long it took to learn this
from scatch to this level! Most enjoyable to listen to.

51. Patbreaker - Prelude in c minor I really enjoyed this. I learned this piece years ago and seem to remember it was easy to get confused trying to play it- the
first two thirds or so that is,until the pattern changes.It's interesting when it does change - from absolute uniform rhythm to not strict timing,then presto,then adagio,
and finishing with allegro. I liked your performance of it.

#2619923 - 03/03/17 10:35 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
CarlosCC Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CarlosCC  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Lisbon, Portugal
Some more:

I like your "one take" work specialy the sessions starting at 01:34, but that's only a matter of taste smile God job!

16. JoBert - Venetian Gondola Song (Songs Without Words - Opus 30, No. 6)
I like the atmosphere around this piece. Melancholic at it should be. Good job!

Very good arrangement with those syncopated chords. I like the way you turn this in a solo version. Congratulations!

51. Pathbreaker - Prelude in c minor
This type of music still confused me; I can understand it's roots and the melodic lines but I found myself somehow lost when listening this Preludes. That's *my* problem - not yours! -. Nevertheless, I can recognise that you did a good job decoding this piece. Congratulations.

39. sinophilia - A Curious Story - Op. 15 no. 2 (to do)
This is new for me but I can understand it's not an easy one. Good job in this happy tune thumb

44. UnderConstruction - Nocturne Op9 No2
Chopin. Oh, how I love Chopin... and I love this Nocturne too. Nicely done, the melodic line is clear and well defined. And congratulations for being brave enough to play Chopin at the end of 25 months thumb

20. ajames - Bach short prelude in Cmin BWV 934
I'm not a fan of Batch, but I think you're in the right path. Good job!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
#2619935 - 03/03/17 11:17 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
CarlosCC Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CarlosCC  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Lisbon, Portugal
45. briangmoore - Scarlatti Sonata in D minor K32
Those ornaments are crazy... that's what I can say about this piece (new for me). Good job with this Sonata; and welcome back to the recitals thumb

Dan, you may start thinking about the 4th RCM level exam, because I know that your exam in May will be a "piece of cake" wink You know what you're doing and your confidence is big enough to turn this piece in a very pleasant experience to the listener. Well done!

01. PawelS - Moonlight Sonata Op.27 No.2 Mov.1
A famous piece to open a famous recital wink And what a great work you've done here. I like the relaxing rhythm and the bass line along the entire work. Well done!

24. Newbert - Daydreaming
You may call it an "exercise" but that's a piece for me. I agree, it's a good approach to play some "exercises" before playing another piece, so this is a wise choice. Good job with the improvisation in the 2nd half. Well done!

50. blackjack1777 - Waltz A Minor Op. Posthumous
As a listener, I'm not sure about your choice about playing this Waltz with a syncopate rhythm. But that's only a matter of "taste"; the choice is yours - you are the player wink - and I'm sure you loved to play it. Overall impression: good control, and pleasant to listen. Good job!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
#2620536 - 03/05/17 12:56 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
CarlosCC Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CarlosCC  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Lisbon, Portugal
Amazing work... so many figures! Incredible how you can play this piece without getting lost in the rhythm - the tempo is just fine for me -. Congratulations!

49. Montuno - Solitude
I like Nevue but I never played any of his pieces. This is a beautiful piece and after hearing your interpretation I'm thinking seriously in trying it soon. You're giving me ideas wink Good job!

10. Riddler (Ed) - I Rembember Clifford
Ed, I can recognize your (jazzy) playing from the very first chords, and you did a super job with this one. Very pleasant for the listener, and I like the way you kept the melody line along the entire piece. Good job!

25. SMA55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Nocturne in Bb Minor
One of my favourites Nocturnes and it's amazing the perfect way your are expressing it. Very, very good Shepherd. Excellent interpretation, sound and video; Perfect! Thanks for sharing.

34. that'sRich - Night in May
This is new for me, and I liked the contrast between the bass sounds and the RH. I can recognize that this is not easy to play and it demands a good independence of hands. Good job, nicely done.

19. Tubbie0075 - Prelude pour Louis & 5 Pieces
Wow, I love it. My sincere congratulations for writing this "simple and silly" tunes. You're a great composer, and all of the pieces are different and very interesting. This is a high value work! Congratulations.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
#2620543 - 03/05/17 01:22 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
CarlosCC Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CarlosCC  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Lisbon, Portugal
26. kalospiano - Sakura (Cherry Blossoms)
Thanks for bringing this piece for us. It's not too common to listen Japanese themes around here, so I'm glade you did it. Interesting piece with those "oriental sounds". Congratulations and Welcome to the Recitals!

Susan, I love the relaxed way of your playing, really. This is a beautiful theme and your interpretation is just very attractive to the listener. Congratulations and Welcome to the Recitals!

I'm not a big fan of Bach but I think you did a good job with this little piece. Welcome to the Recitals!

30. CRP - Comptine d'un autre ete - L'apres midi
CRP, I love this piece and after listening your work, I'm going to put it in the top of my to-do list. I think it's time to do a shift from Einaudi to Tiersen. Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the Recitals!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
#2620764 - 03/06/17 08:21 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
barbaram Online content
500 Post Club Member
barbaram  Online Content

500 Post Club Member

A few more comments...

02. earlofmar - Consolation No 1
Lovely, very sensitive and controlled
As you are working on this for an exam, my suggestion would be to focus further on the small expressive details & dynamic shaping of your phrases - but it’s already beautiful

06. wouter79 - Gluckes genug, Kinderszenen, Op. 15, No. 5
Short and sweet and very nicely done.

Very enjoyable (and certainly not muddy!)

I can imagine it would also work well at a lower tempo, as you say, but you don’t sound as if you have any trouble with this tempo, it seemed perfectly under control and very lovely

Loved this, well done!
Beautiful composition and playing

You should be proud of this - very musically played and you create a wonderful mood

Beautifully played. I’m in awe of your “one and done” approach. Of course, if I waited until my pieces were more fully secure before trying to record them perhaps it would be realistic for me too!

This is not one of the nocturnes I am particularly familiar with, and I think you’ve done a really great job with it

#2621293 - 03/08/17 12:01 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member
MaryBee  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Cleveland, OH
01. PawelS - Moonlight Sonata Op.27 No.2 Mov.1 Very beautiful. I like the tempo you chose, but I see what you mean about the consistency, especially in the middle section. Maybe concentrating practice on that section will help.

02. earlofmar - Consolation No 1 Congratulations on finding a teacher who is so good for you, and good luck on your exam! I enjoyed listening to your submission. Progress is funny, in that it is never linear. We might make great strides in a few short weeks, and then spend months of effort trying to get it to that "effortless' level!

03. MarieJ - Leo Love your expressive playing. Sounds like you've got those tricky rhythms down.

04. CarlosCC - Divenire That's awesome that you could modify the score from a piano/orchestral piece to end up with this beautiful piece of music. Your connection to the piano as an instrument is a joy to hear.

05. SwissMS/Doris - Willy Wagglestick's Walkabout Oh gosh, what fun! You did a great job with this!

06. wouter79 - Gluckes genug, Kinderszenen, Op. 15, No. 5 There's a lot going on in this short piece, it makes me wish you did play the repeat. As it was, I just listened to it a second time. It's funny how even a little piece can present so much to work on. You've done a great job with it.

07. AZ_Astro - When Rivers Flowed on Mars What an interesting piece. You played it beautifully.

08. Peyton - Music For Tunnels I always look forward to listening to your compositions and watching your videos, so thank you! This one was very moody, even dark one could say (going along with the tunnel theme). Watching how long you played with crossed hands made me almost uncomfortable. I never like having to play in that position for very long. smile

09. Monica K. - Ships of Troy What an interesting piece! Loved your playing.

10. Riddler (Ed) - I Rembember Clifford You mention a "glacial pace". Should it be played faster? It sounded very good to me as is. I enjoyed listening.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
#2621474 - 03/08/17 12:22 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: MaryBee]  
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by MaryBee
10. Riddler (Ed) - I Rembember Clifford You mention a "glacial pace". Should it be played faster? It sounded very good to me as is. I enjoyed listening.

Thanks.

Re "glacial", I think I wrote that rather clodhoppingly. I meant that my progress has been at a glacial pace, not my performance of this tune. Sorry, since I retired, I've gotten very sloppy with my writing.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#2623559 - 03/14/17 10:38 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
bSharp(C)yclist Online content
500 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

Orange County, California
Thanks again for those that commented. My teacher had me take another look at this and consider the following, basically, I don't think she would have signed off on it.

1. Measures 8 and 24, the 32nd note needs to come after the first triplet, not on the last note of the first triplet.
2. I tend to speed up when playing the trills (can see by looking at left hand). I still do it.
3. More dynamics.
4. More pedal. I had used pedal in only 2 places. She had me experiment with using pedal throughout the piece, and think about changing pedal or not using pedal for 2nds, 4ths, and 7ths. Think about it both melodically and harmonically. For example, don't pedal when stepping. I was told pedaling can be personal, even vary by piano and room.

Anyway, here is a follow-up version.

SoundCloud

#2623602 - 03/14/17 12:50 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
Piano2138 Offline
Piano2138  Offline

41. Zoot64 - La Lutine
Enjoyed this cheerful piece played with confidence.

42. Mike White Yamaha G3 & p-80 - Stormy Weather
Excellent playing!

43. Piano Primo 1 - "Inspiration" -Love Theme
Nice soothing piano piece!

44. UnderConstruction - Nocturne Op9 No2
Wow! This kind of piece and interpretation after 2 years? Bravo!

45. briangmoore - Scarlatti Sonata in D minor K32
It sounds to me like a sad and solemn piece, so I would keep the ornamentation at a minimum. Nevertheless, nice playing.

46. PikaPianist - Sonata in A minor (Wq49/1), 3rd mvmt
Very good interpretation! A difficult piece played with energy and with clear distinctive voices.

Confident interpretation. Good luck with the RCM exam!

Remarkable interpretation for someone with a bit more than a year of experience!

49. Montuno - Solitude
Nice, expressive playing after one year. Congratulations!

50. blackjack1777 - Waltz A Minor Op. Posthumous
Another remarkable playing – very good dynamics and expression!

51. Pathbreaker - Prelude in c minor
A very difficult piece played under the pressure of the deadline – amazing!

My SoundCloud
#2623606 - 03/14/17 01:01 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
Piano2138 Offline
Piano2138  Offline

Originally Posted by barbaram

21. Piano2138 - Lost
Nicely done. The excerpt of the Pavane was lovely, keep going!

Thank you!

21. Piano2138 - Lost nice recording , but the melody was difficult to discern ( at times?) was this an exercise or a study?, but -I enjoyed the listen.

Thank you! The second part, after the Lost piece, is actually an exercise, please see my explanations within this thread.

Originally Posted by Kalos Piano

21. Piano2138 - Lost
I hear some things that don't sound right but it might just be me, I don't know the music so I can't really judge.

Thank you! Is it possible to detail what didn't sound right exactly?

Originally Posted by that'sRich

21. Piano2138 - Lost A delightful,wistful little piece and seemed to convey a sad and lost feeling. The Pavane had a nice lilting sway effect as you played it. Very pleasant.

Thank you!

My SoundCloud
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
What's Hot!!
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Searching for my perfect piano
by vais4pianists. 06/22/17 10:47 AM
Used QRS midi strip /Pianodisk midi strip
by Marc NY. 06/22/17 09:42 AM
1899 Knabe Concert Grand
by Keith D Kerman. 06/22/17 09:29 AM
Returning to Piano after awhile
by acdyer23. 06/22/17 06:38 AM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics180,389
Posts2,638,175
Members88,153
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Check It Out!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission