Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Ad
Schumann's 4th Finger
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved
Who's Online
127 registered (ajames, alexcawley, 36251, anamnesis, AdrianR, Almaviva, 27 invisible), 1403 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2615558 - 02/17/17 07:06 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
SMA55 Offline

These recitals are exceeding my expectations by a mile! I'm truly enjoying listening, and I will continue to make comments as I make my way through them. For now, I would like to thank everyone for listening. And in addition to Montuno, I would like to thank Sam M, peterws, CRP, Tubbie0075 for kindly writing their impressions of my recital. If anyone has any suggestions for improvement, please don't hesitate to share them with me. Every critical word offered is an opportunity for me to grow as a pianist. Thanks again!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2615566 - 02/17/17 07:16 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: kris shendo]
SMA55 Offline

Originally Posted By kris shendo

25. SMA55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Nocturne in Bb Minor
Lovely, I enjoyed this very much. The slight echo effect sounds like you were playing in a large hall. Very well done.

Thanks, Kris! Yes, that reverb effect you're hearing is the result of my mixing the recorded dryish sound from my living room (where my piano is located) with the sound as recorded by an additional external mic in an adjacent echoey hallway. I think this time I may have overdone the wetness of the mix, haha. Oh, well.

#2615567 - 02/17/17 07:38 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Piano2138 Offline

11. JustinDAggie - Rondo Alla Turca
A difficult piece played with energy and assurance. Judging from your youtube channel, it looks you have learned it pretty quick.

12. J Soo - Intermezzo (from Faschingsschwank aus Wien, op. 26)
After your previous participation at the ABF 44th recital, I am again moved by your interpretation. You have well expressed the intensity of this challenging piece.

13. peterws - Lost elevator
Love it! A delightful and bright piece, what a wave of optimism!

14. h8dk97 - Bach's Invention# 13
Remarkable playing for someone with 1 ½ year of experience.
It is on my list, not before at least a year from now.

15. Richard (zrtf90) - Intermezzo, Op. 117/1
What can I say? High level of interpretation, such a beautiful piano sound and perfect recording.

16. JoBert - Venetian Gondola Song (Songs Without Words - Opus 30, No. 6)
Another beautiful piece, interpreted with emotion and sensibility.

17. xyzzyFL (Susan) - Shangri-La
Excellent return to the world of piano! What you learned it was well preserved.

18. Chris Beecham - Merry Farmer
Nice interpretation. I would increase the tempo a bit, to sound even more cheerful.

19. Tubbie0075 - Prelude pour Louis & 5 Pieces
Charming, I’ve enjoyed your compositions.

20. ajames - Bach short prelude in Cmin BWV 934
Confident and stable interpretation. And yes, you are right, Bach is always a challenge, but such a worth one.

21. Piano2138 - Lost
Some details on what I’ve learned with this piece.
After I learned to play the right notes at the right time and the piece was fluid enough, it was still not like on the track from the CD provided with the book. Apart from being interpreted by someone with probably 20+ years of experience and probably on a Steinway smile , I’ve understood that the tempo of the interpretation was not constant (and to me this contributes to the “sadly” impression intended by the composer).
This is how I discovered the “rubato” (I don’t have a teacher) and I tried to use it in my playing (maybe I should have added even more).
As for the Ravel part – I will stop here, I’ve reached my initial plan and I will resume who knows when, maybe in 5 years, maybe in 10.

#2615578 - 02/17/17 08:27 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
J Soo Offline

Thanks to all who have listened and commented thus far!

09. Monica K. - Ships of Troy

Played with a great feel for the dynamics, pulse, and spacing that drive this piece in an unhurried way. Lovely range of colors from your M&H, too; never muddy, whatever the composer says.

You have the beginnings of a fine piano method book, at any rate! Perhaps your bro-in-law started with the prelude and found it too difficult. A charming set.

29. MaryBee - Intermezzo Op. 117 No. 1

Beautifully played! That middle section is quite a stormy bridge between the tranquil outer sections, and you handle those contrasts convincingly.

39. sinophilia - A Curious Story - Op. 15 no. 2

I can relate to what you say about challenging pedaling in Schumann! But you handle it well. You sound quite comfortable with the piece, and do a good job shifting between the contrasting moods/themes.

49. Montuno - Solitude

You play very expressively, and should indeed be proud of how quickly you've progressed. A convincing performance.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2615600 - 02/17/17 11:26 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida

Awesome, absolutely awesome. I don't remember hearing this before, but I loved it. With all that intensity and constant arpeggiating, it reminded me of Chopin 10/1. Great playing.

Wow, I am elevated. Always enjoy your recordings, Peter. They are unfailingly musical and well-executed.

Wonderful music making, very listenable and well-played. It's not easy to develop hand independence like that. Well done.

JoBert, your playing, and the composition itself, seem a perfect match to the scene being portrayed. It was all a brief journey to another time and place. Well done.

Susan, I remember that song from the Four Coins record in the 50s. Brings back old times. Well done, your playing is certainly progressing nicely.

Well done, Chris, I think you have captured the essence of the piece, a bright and cheerful performance.

Your brain is working quite well, fingers too. Those countermelodies sound great, and are not easy to play. Well done.

22. dynamobt/Marilyn - Kreisleriana - Sehr Langsam (#4)
Marilyn, all I can say is - if that is what left shoulder surgery does for you, may you break your right shoulder now! Just kidding, of course. That was very well done, does not sound as if it is stretching your abilities at all. I especially liked the middle part. Nice work.

23. Forrest Halford - Brahms Intermezzo, Op. 117, #2
Beautifully played, Forrest, very satisfying. You have a very mature and professional playing style.

24. Newbert - Daydreaming
Newbert, nice playing and improvising. Yes, it's an exercise, but these drills morph into creative expression, as you have experienced already. Well done.

25. SMA55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Nocturne in Bb Minor
A beautiful performance of one of the great masterpieces. I'm green with envy! Well done.

28. Ganddalf - "Sommerfugl" (Butterfly, Op.43 no.1)
Beautiful, light and graceful. Not a hint of any bad habits, that I can hear. Great job.

31. Sam S - Sonata K380
Great job, Sam, I felt as if I were back in the 1700s at some royal court or other, listening to the man play it himself. I am also wowed that you did that on one take, from memory! I find that I can easily memorize stuff I have created myself, but otherwise I need a crutch or two. Or three. Anyway, you somehow gave it a real harpsichordy sound, which was just perfect.

33. Kris Shendo - Jacob's Theme
A very appealing, bouncy tune, very enjoyable to listen to. Well done.

34. that'sRich - Night in May
Wow, that was a journey into some mysterious, ethereal place. When you play the original theme with octaves plus another note in the middle, it produces quite an effect. And that repeating motif - small interval up, large interval up, small interval down, that heightens the mystery. Beautiful playing of a piece I have never heard of. Well done.

35. jazztpt - Time For Bed
Very appealing tune, played with a lyrical and light style. It's interesting that this evolved from a tune for children.

38. carlos88 - Our Town, III. The Resting-place on the Hill
I don't think I have heard this played on the piano before, but I have listened to the original work many times, and love it. Great choice for the recital, wonderful playing!

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#2615604 - 02/17/17 11:49 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
SMA55 Offline

Slowly but surely...

Nice playing, Peter! AND nice composing! I enjoyed this recording a lot--except for one aspect. I'm not sure which version of Pianoteq you're running, but the higher notes are not at all convincing as an emulation of the real thing. They sound very electronic. But I guess that's neither here nor there. Congratulations on a job well done!

Pretty darned good! Especially considering the short amount of time you've been taking lessons. Keep up the good work.

Beautiful! Very expressive and well-controlled playing, especially given the difficult inner and outer voices so typical of Brahms. Great job!

#2615674 - 02/18/17 07:00 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
zrtf90 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Originally Posted By cmb13
Wow such great comments! I am learning Moonlight Sonata myself and will have to reread ZRTF90's a few times this week!
I don't normally comment on pieces if I don't know the performers from their participation in the forum; more cautious that they know me than that I know them. This performer has never posted at all - I mistook his moniker for someone else and I'm embarrassed by how much I've written - so I'm glad someone has found benefit from it.

This was a fun listen, Peter. I would love to be able to just relax and play like this. It's great to hear the self-penned pieces in these recitals especially as the composer and performer both know the style intended and therefore get it closer to the initial idea, even if not always entirely right.

This is simply conceived, simply performed and simply delivered in the very best meaning of simple - not at all easy but neither complicated nor confounded. And, as always with your presentations, it's enjoyable and really worth listening to.

Let me say upfront that this playing belies the time you've been taking lessons. Perhaps you knew the instrument before you started lessons? Some people take to it quicker than others and you have a way with the keys that many would not develop in such a short time - and a few might kill for.

This piece has been classified as one of the easier Inventions and varies between Grade 4, reaching the notes, and Grade 6, reaching the music. That's typically around four to six years of good practice. You have all the notes so I'm not going to detract from what you've done but there are some stylistic areas that you might want to address.

Many hold the idea that Bach and his contemporaries should be played non legato as the default touch of the time. I sincerely believe that Bach's inspiration was the human voice and the voice doesn't work in a non-legato fashion so I seldom adhere to non-legato playing especially as it doesn't suit the modern piano equally well. There is also a tendency to minimise tempo variation, too, but again I don't believe that Bach, nor any human, worked with the mechanical precision of a sewing machine so some elasticity in the tempo between the mechanical chain and a Chopinesque bungee cord, is acceptable and appropriate, though not so much in the rhythm.

You seem to have chosen a non-legato style but have overlooked the necessity of holding some notes that are clearly to be held such as the tied notes in M3-5, for example, and their melodic descent, F E D C B C, has been missed. You caught the ties in M11-12 but missed their parallel purpose.

Though Bach is not without passion he is, in this piece, without drama and the elongation of the end of M13 seems a little unstylistic, I feel, and the sudden drop in tempo in the final bar might be more gradual. Bach is well able to mark tempo changes when needed. Compare, for example, the end of the C Minor Prelude performed here by Pathbreaker - the last piece in the recital.

You might consider making the figures with a contiguous melody, such as the first four rising notes in M1, a little more legato and those with a non-contiguous melody, such as the descending figure in M5, a little more staccato but that's an interpretive decision.

I hope I've inspired you to look deeper into your music and not taken this as criticism of what you're doing. You're doing fine but still able for better.

This is a good showing, especially for your time at the piano, as most of the other comments will agree, so very well done.

Delightful, Tubbie, really delightful! Very appropriate and well aimed. And nice to have you perform them in the recitals. Good job!

#2615680 - 02/18/17 07:40 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Albunea Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spain
I enjoyed the recital very much smile Lots of variety!

#2615748 - 02/18/17 12:00 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: SMA55]
CRP Offline

Loc: Milan, Italy
The link you posted is to the page where the video is edited, which is way it asks for a login. You need to post the link that contains "watch" instead of "edit".

CRP

#2615754 - 02/18/17 12:10 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: CRP]
SMA55 Offline

Originally Posted By CRP
The link you posted is to the page where the video is edited, which is way it asks for a login. You need to post the link that contains "watch" instead of "edit".

CRP

Thank you for the info! It was the first time I had submitted a video here, so hopefully next time I'll get it right. (My assumption is that it's now too late for editing the video link.)

#2615778 - 02/18/17 01:57 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Montuno Offline

A pianist returns home and find a letter from his wife: "Gone Chopin, (have Liszt), Bach in a Minuet."
Nice job.

These are very charming.

It's funny, this piece is sung by children here in the Netherlands during the very popular 'Sinterklaas' (Saint Nicholas) celebrations. So everyone here knows it very well. I have to play your version to my kids. cool

Very relaxing and well played. Better than your description suggests.

Playing flawless is one thing, but the way you also bring out the emotions of the piece with your fantastic expression is something else. Amazing.

This recital is such a treat. Another fabulous entry. One thing: I don't want you to take it wrong, I'm just a beginner and your ability is obviously way beyond mine. But I think that you can improve on this already great performance if you dare to let go. Look for the drama/emphasis, not only between phrases but also within a phrase. Given your technical abilities if you make the individual phrases come alive more you will leave each and every listener breathless I am sure.

Just excellent. Truly inspirational to hear how far you've come in such a short time.

Great composition, great execution.

That sounds very hard. And very good!

11. JustinDAggie - Rondo Alla Turca
Impressive job. I so wish i could do this one day. One thing: don't rush it. Some of the phrases (for instance right at the start) are to fast for the overall tempo you have chosen.

My Music

#2615780 - 02/18/17 02:12 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: SMA55]
peterws Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Originally Posted By SMA55

I'm not sure which version of Pianoteq you're running, but the higher notes are not at all convincing as an emulation of the real thing. They sound very electronic. But I guess that's neither here nor there. Congratulations on a job well done!

It's K2, which I thought was modelled on the lines of a Kawai upright. I've been advised that's probably not the case. I rather think it's modelled on the Kawai digital instead . . ..!

""

#2615803 - 02/18/17 02:52 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Alexander Borro Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Great recital I enjoyed listening to a large selection this evening. Well done to the newcomers, the regulars, and the Einaudi treats, you know who you are smile

Unfortunately I couldn't make this recital this time, but I'll be back for my 10th, and my 3 year anniversary will be around the corner then.

Once again, well done to all involved. I enjoyed listening to quite a few.

My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro

#2615812 - 02/18/17 03:12 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto, Canada
16 JoBert - Venetian Gondola Song
Fabulous piece and very nice choice. Beautifully played too. Thank you. This would be a nice one for me I think. It is around the exact length I like so will definitely go in the list.

25 SMA55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Nocturne in Bb Minor
Hello again, Shepherd. I wasn't able to get the video link working as it just took me to login page for youtube. Anyway, I'll assume you had one. It is the sound we are after anyway. You've produced it in spades here. I'm only vaguely familiar with this Nocturne. You've played it beautifully, and is really nicely executed throughout.

26 kalospiano - Sakura (Cherry Blossoms)
Nice production, kalospiano and fine playing. I enjoy the cherry blossoms too and have been several times to High Park when in bloom. It wasn't my idea mind you. smile Anyway, this would make for authentic accompaniment. Here is a quick fact: In 1959, the Japanese ambassador to Canada, Toru-Hagiwara, presented 2000 Japanese Somei-Yoshino Sakura trees to the citizens of Toronto on behalf of the citizens of Tokyo. The trees were planted in appreciation of Toronto accepting re-located Japanese-Canadians following the Second World War. Many of these trees were planted on the hillside overlooking Grenadier Pond (southwest of the Grenadier Café) and around the east shore of the pond.

36 Moonsh1ne - Waltz in A Minor, Op. Posthumous
Very nice. You bring a light touch to it. Very refreshing and lovely sound really. I've done this one recently too and is improving over time. The arpeggio in the middle section feels like it is coming in waves, in both your version and mine. We'll know we are getting closer when it becomes like one single wave. smile Nice video too.

37 lyricmudra - Monday
Nice. A good video production with clear and strong audio. Nicely polished and well performed. Thank you.

38 carlos88 - Our Town, III. The Resting-place on the Hill
An interesting and neat kind of sound there. Definitely achieving the big chord sound I think you are after. I also like open slow moving chords at times, but don't have many pieces that offer it. The video was dark for me, but audio was clear. Nice job.

39 sinophilia - A Curious Story - Op. 15 no. 2
Really cute piece. Liking more and more of the works I'm learning about from this composer. This is a great little short piece. A nice choice again and a fine performance here.

43 Piano Primo 1 - "Inspiration" -Love Theme
Some lovely kind of heart wrenching type changes in this. It grabs interest early and is very pleasant listening to this. Nicely done.

44 UnderConstruction - Nocturne Op9 No2
This is an undertaking and really great job here. Nice patient approach with it and beautiful sound. No easy feat for piece with very challenging elements. Well done.

#2615860 - 02/18/17 06:07 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
13. Peter- Wow!! What a really sweet composition. Just totally enjoyable. You are a natural composer as well as a good pianist.

14. h8dk97- Very nicely done. I enjoyed listening.

15.- Richard. It's always a pleasure to hear your latest "project". You always pick such interesting and, at least to my ear, challenging works and play them with such finesse. This is such a sensitive piece and you play it so well.

#2615950 - 02/19/17 01:40 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Greener]
SMA55 Offline

Originally Posted By Greener

25 SMA55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Nocturne in Bb Minor
Hello again, Shepherd. I wasn't able to get the video link working as it just took me to login page for youtube. Anyway, I'll assume you had one. It is the sound we are after anyway. You've produced it in spades here. I'm only vaguely familiar with this Nocturne. You've played it beautifully, and is really nicely executed throughout.

Hi, Jeff. Thank you for your kind words. Yes, several people have told me about my bad video link, and I have since contacted Casinitaly who I hope can correct my mistake.

#2615988 - 02/19/17 06:53 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
MarieJ Offline

Loc: Queensland Australia
17. xyzzyFL (Susan) - Shangri-La A very pleasant, relaxing piece. (Are you *sure* that you’ve only been back at the keyboard a few weeks?) smile

18. Chris Beecham - Merry Farmer A classic favourite - short, but very sweet. I enjoyed it.

19. Tubbie0075 - Prelude pour Louis & 5 Pieces Simple tunes? Maybe. Silly? No! That was a very valuable project, and we were able to appreciate the result too.

20. ajames - Bach short prelude in Cmin BWV 934 Another deceptive piece: ‘easy’ at first glance, but difficult to get your fingers around. You did well!

21. Piano2138 - Lost The rare appearance of an Australian composer. Great work for less than a year's playing. And ‘Pavane’ has set you on a path which will continually reward you for months - and years.

An hour or two with my Yamaha C3 and Einaudi's music - my idea of happiness.

#2615992 - 02/19/17 07:20 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Greener]
Moonsh1ne Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By Greener

The arpeggio in the middle section feels like it is coming in waves...

Thank you for listening, Greener. My teacher actually suggested doing the acceleration this way, so it's deliberate, if a little slow still.

#2616006 - 02/19/17 08:54 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
SMA55 Offline

For those of you who wrote to tell me that the video link on my recital was bad, thank you! It has now been edited and works, thanks to Casinitaly and BB Player. The link is: https://youtu.be/15gEtpIHp90

#2616007 - 02/19/17 08:54 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
kris shendo Offline

A few more:

31. Sam S - Sonata K380
This sonata is new to me. Very brightly played. I particularly like the contrasting dynamics and intermittent strident sections. Congratulations on managing it in one take from memory!

32. SandTiger - Fading Light
I like the contrasting elements, lovely sound recording.

34. that'sRich - Night in May
Mysterious and beautiful. I love the contrasts, the unusual climbing and descending chords and the enigmatic ways they resolve. Impressive playing, very well done!

35. jazztpt - Time For Bed
This is lovely! An appealing melody, beautifully played and recorded. I enjoyed it very much.

36. Moonsh1ne - Waltz in A Minor, Op. Posthumous
Nice expression. You played the tricky RH sections very well. Thank you for sharing this piece.

37. lyricmudra - Monday
Very expressive, a really lovely tone. I enjoyed your video, you play beautifully.

38. carlos88 - Our Town, III. The Resting-place on the Hill
Unusual; it must be difficult to transcribe an orchestral piece for the piano. Well played.

39. sinophilia - A Curious Story - Op. 15 no. 2
Upbeat and charming. You played this well, enjoyable listening, thank you!

40. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Minuet in G 116 BWV
This was competently played, Cheryl - I liked it very much.

41. Zoot64 - La Lutine
Very evenly played. This was lovely, well done.

42. Mike White Yamaha G3 & p-80 - Stormy Weather
One of my all-time favorites, and played by ear, too! I wish I could do that. You have great ability, Mike.

43. Piano Primo 1 - "Inspiration" -Love Theme
Lovely chords and an easy, relaxed feel to the piece. I enjoyed this, thank you.

#2616008 - 02/19/17 09:05 AM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
JoBert Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
Thank you everyone for this recital. As always, it was a treat to listen to all the fine submissions.

And thank you also for all the kind comments about my own submission, to those that already have commented or that will do so later.

I'm afraid I always have great difficulties putting my impressions into words for useful feedback and comments, so please do not be offended when my feedback below is often short.

01. PawelS - Moonlight Sonata Op.27 No.2 Mov.1 Nice playing, seeing that you are still relatively new to the piano. But keep working on it - the piece has a lot of potential that can yet be explored by you.

02. earlofmar - Consolation No 1 Very nice, well played. Good luck with the exam!

03. MarieJ - Leo Lovely and calm, as always. I'd say there was already a lot of "progress" in it!

04. CarlosCC - Divenire Very nice and enjoyable.

05. SwissMS/Doris - Willy Wagglestick's Walkabout A fun and cool piece, well played. Very fitting to the sound of your rental piano. I wasn't 100% sure about the rhythm in some small parts in the middle, but that may just be me not understanding the rhythm changes in the piece?

07. AZ_Astro - When Rivers Flowed on Mars Very nice and soothing, with a mysterious under tone. Well played!

08. Peyton - Music For Tunnels For me that was evocative of driving through a very long tunnel in a car, with the lights passing over and on the sides, where you lose the feeling for time and distance. Very nice!

09. Monica K. - Ships of Troy Well played with lots of feeling. A nice piece!

10. Riddler (Ed) - I Rembember Clifford A perfect piano bar piece, and very well played.

11. JustinDAggie - Rondo Alla Turca Great playing and very good speed, but still good and regular timing. Excellent!

12. J Soo - Intermezzo (from Faschingsschwank aus Wien, op. 26) A top performance of a very nice piece. The way you brought out the RH melody over the RH broken chords seemed effortless. Bravo!

13. peterws - Lost elevator The "lost" feeling sparked over to me. It kind of reminded me of long drives on the highway through grey weather, when time just passes by...

14. h8dk97 - Bach's Invention# 13 Very nice and well played. Enjoyed it!

15. Richard (zrtf90) - Intermezzo, Op. 117/1 Wonderfully played with great feeling and expression. If I may give a tiny small critique: In some places I would have liked a little less pedal.

17. xyzzyFL (Susan) - Shangri-La A very nice piece and well played. Very enjoyable.

18. Chris Beecham - Merry Farmer A staple piece for every piano pupil - well played! Look out for your speed though - you sped up noticeably over the length of the piece. If you still are interested in working on the piece, I recommend to try to get it faster. It's "merry farmer returning from work" after all. wink

19. Tubbie0075 - Prelude pour Louis & 5 Pieces Nice little compositions for your nephew.

20. ajames - Bach short prelude in Cmin BWV 934 Nicely played and enjoyable to listen to.

21. Piano2138 - Lost Commenting on "Lost": An interesting little piece, well played, with good expression.

22. dynamobt/Marilyn - Kreisleriana - Sehr Langsam (#4) Very nice and expressive. Great playing - I enjoyed listening to it.

23. Forrest Halford - Brahms Intermezzo, Op. 117, #2 Wonderful playing, a really great piece and an excellent performance!

24. Newbert - Daydreaming An interesting improvisation exercise. Quite enjoyable.

25. SMA55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Nocturne in Bb Minor Very nice and very well played, with great expression. I enjoyed listening.

26. kalospiano - Sakura (Cherry Blossoms) Interesting and nice Japanese tune, well played. I agree, that your choice of the piano sound did indeed sound a bit like a harpsichord and added to the slightly "exotic" feel.

27. Greener/Jeff - Db Nocturne Another very well played Nocturne. It was worth it that you returned to it. Very nice!

28. Ganddalf - "Sommerfugl" (Butterfly, Op.43 no.1) This composition really evokes the "butterfly" with its very first bars. Very nicely played. Contrary to what you wrote about it being well known, personally I didn't know it before, so wasn't influenced from other performance and could simply enjoy yours, which I did very much! smile

29. MaryBee - Intermezzo Op. 117 No. 1 Very well played, just as enjoyable to listen to as the other submission of the same piece.

30. CRP - Comptine d'un autre ete - L'apres midi A fun piece, well played. Enjoyed it!

31. Sam S - Sonata K380 Well played, very competently. The crisp baroque feeling worked very well.

32. SandTiger - Fading Light A nice piece and well played.

33. Kris Shendo - Jacob's Theme I haven't seen the movie but the theme that you made from it was very nice. Liked it a lot!

34. that'sRich - Night in May Very nice, both the piece and the playing. Thank you for introducing me to a new-for-me composer.

35. jazztpt - Time For Bed This is indeed a very nice lullaby, very enjoyable to listen to.

36. Moonsh1ne - Waltz in A Minor, Op. Posthumous I like this piece very much and you played it well. Only this one arpeggio still is your master, and not the other way round. wink

37. lyricmudra - Monday Very nice and enjoyable. Good playing!

38. carlos88 - Our Town, III. The Resting-place on the Hill This was different! smile Interesting to listen to. A bit sad about the not so good recording quality.

39. sinophilia - A Curious Story - Op. 15 no. 2 That was nice! To repeat a bromide: All the Kinderszenen piecew have in common that they are more difficult than they sound (and some already sound difficult). In this case, I think you still need to work on the evenness of the short sequences with several eighth-notes. Those sometimes came out unevenly and hesitantly.

40. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Minuet in G 116 BWV A very nice little minuet, played well. Enjoyable!

41. Zoot64 - La Lutine Very nice and enjoyable. Good look with working on the speed!

42. Mike White Yamaha G3 & p-80 - Stormy Weather Great "playing by ear"! Enjoyed it a lot!

43. Piano Primo 1 - "Inspiration" -Love Theme A very soothing and, yes, "inspirational" piece. Well played!

44. UnderConstruction - Nocturne Op9 No2 Well played, with good expression and feeling. Very nice!

45. briangmoore - Scarlatti Sonata in D minor K32 I liked this short little piece. Good playing!

46. PikaPianist - Sonata in A minor (Wq49/1), 3rd mvmt Great playing and with admirable fast and steady speed! Excellent!

47. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Sonatina in C (Op. 36, No. 1, II - Andante) A sweet little movement. Liked your playing! Good luck with the exam!

48. lvojnovic - BWV 939 Little prelude in C major Very nice, well played!

49. Montuno - Solitude Very nice and perfectly played for that "solitude" feeling. The Pianoteq voice you chose (and the reverb) fits very well. But that strange pulsing noise I think I heard in the background: Was that a tad bit too much simulated damper noise?

50. blackjack1777 - Waltz A Minor Op. Posthumous Nicely played, well done! In addition to that one arpeggio that still needs work (and that trips up so many learners of this piece): I'm not much of a fan of how you play the third beat in the left hand staccato. It introduces a jumpiness/skippyness that doesn't fit with the relatively slow, slightly melancholic waltz, in my opinion.

51. Patbreaker - Prelude in c minor Very nice and well played. Enjoyable to listen to.

#2616053 - 02/19/17 12:45 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
SMA55 Offline

Here are a few more...

17. xyzzyFL (Susan) - Shangri-La This was a pretty arrangement. And your very nice touch belies the amount of time you mentioned that you've been playing recently. Well done!

18. Chris Beecham - Merry Farmer Very familiar sounding piece, and you did a good job on it. I feel the tempo was a bit variable, so using a metronome while playing it may help you to hear this.

These are all sweet little pieces, and I would think that your nephew would find them enjoyable to hear while his dad plays them.

20. ajames - Bach short prelude in Cmin BWV 934 I see from what you wrote that you are a fellow native earthling. Greetings! I enjoyed your playing. For what it's worth, I am in agreement with you concerning Bach. Learning to play his music at times makes my brain hurt. Maybe it's an earthling thing. Nice job!

21. Piano2138 - Lost For the short amount of time you've been playing, I think you're doing a great job! Keep it up!

22. dynamobt/Marilyn - Kreisleriana - Sehr Langsam (#4) First of all, I love the sound of your restored Mason & Hamlin BB--beautiful! As for the Schumann, you did a wonderful job. I enjoyed listening to it. Good luck with your learning the other movements of this piece.

#2616108 - 02/19/17 04:04 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: JoBert]
Montuno Offline

Originally Posted By JoBert

49. Montuno - Solitude Very nice and perfectly played for that "solitude" feeling. The Pianoteq voice you chose (and the reverb) fits very well. But that strange pulsing noise I think I heard in the background: Was that a tad bit too much simulated damper noise?

I'm not sure what I could do about it. I use the Stage version of Pianoteq and I think I can't change the damper noise in that version - if that is indeed the problem.

By the way, thanks to everybody for commenting!

My Music

#2616142 - 02/19/17 05:58 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Montuno]
peterws Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Originally Posted By Montuno

I'm not sure what I could do about it. I use the Stage version of Pianoteq and I think I can't change the damper noise in that version - if that is indeed the problem.

You can turn it up or down. I think it sounds good when it clunks and whooshes . . . .you can adjust all these easily on the front screen.

""

#2616170 - 02/19/17 08:04 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: CRP]
Kalos Piano Offline

Originally Posted By CRP

26. kalospiano - Sakura (Cherry Blossoms) I am not convinced by the chords in this arrangement...

Hi CRP!
Could you clarify what do you mean?
Is it that you don't like the way Dittrich arranged this piece or is it that you're not convinced by my playing?
In the first case, I'd say that I like this arrangement very much smile
In the second case, please let me know how you think I could improve it, as I'm actually not sure about my performance, since I played it from the score and I had never heard it before, so I couldn't get and idea beforehand of how other people played this.

Thanks to everybody for their comments on my piece. I hope I'll have the time tomorrow to put my comments, as there's really a lot of material to listen to...

#2616175 - 02/19/17 08:32 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
h8dk97 Offline

Thank you very much All for your feedback and kind words. The last six months or so have been very stressful for me but my piano practice made it a little easier to endure. The feedback from this site is one of the few things that inspire me and help moving forward. Thank you.

#2616179 - 02/19/17 08:51 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
21. Piano2138 - Lost: Nice job! You convey both a sense of sadness and hope in “Lost”; the listener ends up concluding that the protagonist will find his or her way out of the predicament. My only advice would be to experiment with adding a little more pedal (but keep in mind that my motto in piano is “more pedal, more better!” laugh )

22. dynamobt/Marilyn - Kreisleriana - Sehr Langsam (#4): I admire your “one take” approach to these recitals, while fully realizing I will never be capable of adopting it. Your recording is especially impressive given the obvious difficulty of the piece. I particularly enjoyed the faster section at about the 1:35 mark. Bravo!

23. Forrest Halford - Brahms Intermezzo, Op. 117, #2: Your playing sure does not sound like you were facing any fears of the Red Dot... all I heard was tranquility and firm confidence. I was especially impressed by your command of the dynamics, e.g., the crescendo around the 3:45 mark.

24. Newbert - Daydreaming: What an interesting experiment! I couldn’t tell where the full sheet music left off and your improvising began, which in my mind is evidence that you are accomplished at improvising. smile This is a style of music I really like: peaceful, calming, soothing.

25. SMA55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Nocturne in Bb Minor: A beautiful job on a complex piece. Your playing flowed so smoothly. Were those acoustic panels on your wall in the video? Very nice looking, in addition to being functional. smile

26. kalospiano - Sakura (Cherry Blossoms): I like the slower tempo you’re using; I agree it makes it sound more solemn... almost even Russian, dare I say?

27. Greener/Jeff - Db Nocturne: Kudos to you for going back and revisiting a piece that had given you difficulty before! I don’t know enough about classical music or this piece to offer any constructive advice, but I can say that I liked it. thumb

28. Ganddalf - "Sommerfugl" (Butterfly, Op.43 no.1): Oh my gosh, that piece sounds HARD, with all those fast runs. But you seem to pull them off flawlessly, and I can easily imagine a flock of butterflies skimming about a summer meadow.

29. MaryBee - Intermezzo Op. 117 No. 1: Great job... and I know that *I* get easily intimidated by six flats in a key signature, so I’m impressed it didn’t phase you. grin I loved how easily the three sections flowed together under your fingers.

30. CRP - Comptine d'un autre ete - L'apres midi: Oh, I do so love this piece. And I have long thought it sounds just as nice at a slower tempo, such as you're playing. Yes, you’ve got some polishing to do, but this is a great start. I hope you continue to work it up; it's a great piece to have memorized and in your permanent repertoire.

#2616181 - 02/19/17 08:54 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: zrtf90]
h8dk97 Offline

Originally Posted By zrtf90

Let me say upfront that this playing belies the time you've been taking lessons. Perhaps you knew the instrument before you started lessons? Some people take to it quicker than others and you have a way with the keys that many would not develop in such a short time - and a few might kill for.

This piece has been classified as one of the easier Inventions and varies between Grade 4, reaching the notes, and Grade 6, reaching the music. That's typically around four to six years of good practice. You have all the notes so I'm not going to detract from what you've done but there are some stylistic areas that you might want to address.

Many hold the idea that Bach and his contemporaries should be played non legato as the default touch of the time. I sincerely believe that Bach's inspiration was the human voice and the voice doesn't work in a non-legato fashion so I seldom adhere to non-legato playing especially as it doesn't suit the modern piano equally well. There is also a tendency to minimise tempo variation, too, but again I don't believe that Bach, nor any human, worked with the mechanical precision of a sewing machine so some elasticity in the tempo between the mechanical chain and a Chopinesque bungee cord, is acceptable and appropriate, though not so much in the rhythm.

You seem to have chosen a non-legato style but have overlooked the necessity of holding some notes that are clearly to be held such as the tied notes in M3-5, for example, and their melodic descent, F E D C B C, has been missed. You caught the ties in M11-12 but missed their parallel purpose.

Though Bach is not without passion he is, in this piece, without drama and the elongation of the end of M13 seems a little unstylistic, I feel, and the sudden drop in tempo in the final bar might be more gradual. Bach is well able to mark tempo changes when needed. Compare, for example, the end of the C Minor Prelude performed here by Pathbreaker - the last piece in the recital.

You might consider making the figures with a contiguous melody, such as the first four rising notes in M1, a little more legato and those with a non-contiguous melody, such as the descending figure in M5, a little more staccato but that's an interpretive decision.

I hope I've inspired you to look deeper into your music and not taken this as criticism of what you're doing. You're doing fine but still able for better.

This is a good showing, especially for your time at the piano, as most of the other comments will agree, so very well done.

Thank you Richard. I appreciate the time you've taken to provide your feedback. I never played a musical instrument before but quickly became obsessed once started. What my teacher told me to do was, play 8th notes tenuto and 16th legato. I also tried playing staccato trying to mimic A. Schiff (the interpretation I was inspired by) but couldn't do it consistently through out the piece. I watched an interview with Murray Perahia not long ago and he said something like - you should not indulge when playing Bach but I'm afraid this is exactly what I'm doing :-) I will go over your comments when I get home... Thanks very much.

#2616191 - 02/19/17 09:49 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Monica K.]
SMA55 Offline

Originally Posted By Monica K.

25. SMA55 (Shepherd Abrams) - Nocturne in Bb Minor: A beautiful job on a complex piece. Your playing flowed so smoothly. Were those acoustic panels on your wall in the video? Very nice looking, in addition to being functional. smile

Thank you so much, Monica! And yes, those are indeed acoustic panels. I've PM'd you with a bit more info, in case you're interested.

#2616196 - 02/19/17 10:32 PM Re: Recital 45 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Tubbie0075 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By CRP

19. Tubbie0075 - Prelude pour Louis & 5 Pieces I liked the pieces, especially the first one. I believe they are well suited to your original intention.

Thank you. The prelude wasn't part of the set of 5. The style was somewhat 'inspired' by Bach's Prelude in C. When I feel like being creative again, I'm going to write a melody on top of it for violin.

Originally Posted By kris shendo

These were charming! Before I saw your notes, I made my own: Prelude: a pleasing repeating melody; 1) an uncomplicated tune suitable for a small child’s ear; 2) one for jumping about – a child could dance to this, or play Jack-in-the-Box; 3) one for slow movement, maybe gliding around the room; 4) simple melody, again suitable for a small child; 5) this one tells a story – like a nursery rhyme. I would have thought these are just right for a one- year old. What a generous uncle!

Thank you. Your interpretations are very close to my compositional intentions.

Originally Posted By Monica K.

19. Tubbie0075 - Prelude pour Louis & 5 Pieces: Well, I think you win the Best of Show award just for the story of how you came to compose these pieces... what a thoughtful, wonderful gift for your sister and nephew. I enjoyed all these pieces; the only thing I can think of as to why you may not have gotten a response yet is that maybe they’re a bit too hard for your brother in law? These seem maybe a little more challenging than Grade 1 in my opinion.

Thank you. I don't think my brother-in-law have tried them out yet. My sister said they haven't yet set up the keyboard which I gave to my brother-in-law many years ago!

Originally Posted By Sam S

19. Tubbie0075 - Prelude pour Louis & 5 Pieces These are delightful! I would be thrilled if you wrote them for my kid. The first one should be cootchy-cootchy-coo!

Thank you. Maybe this could be my part-time 'career'? In some parts of Asia, I distinctly remember people say "ung-goo-goo".

Originally Posted By Piano2138

Charming, I’ve enjoyed your compositions.

Thank you.

Originally Posted By J Soo

You have the beginnings of a fine piano method book, at any rate! Perhaps your bro-in-law started with the prelude and found it too difficult. A charming set.

Thank you. Let's see if my sister or brother-in-law comes back for more. If they do, it might just turn into a piano method book like you said.

Originally Posted By zrtf90

Delightful, Tubbie, really delightful! Very appropriate and well aimed. And nice to have you perform them in the recitals. Good job!

Thank you.

Originally Posted By Montuno

These are very charming.

Thank you.

Originally Posted By peterws

19 Tubbie 0075

No tech feedback. But your songs were exemplary for their intended purpose.

Thank you.

Originally Posted By MarieJ

19. Tubbie0075 - Prelude pour Louis & 5 Pieces Simple tunes? Maybe. Silly? No! That was a very valuable project, and we were able to appreciate the result too.

Thank you. It wasn't a silly project. Just a project of silly/simple tunes :-)

Originally Posted By Jobert

19. Tubbie0075 - Prelude pour Louis & 5 Pieces Nice little compositions for your nephew.

Thank you.

Originally Posted By SMA55

These are all sweet little pieces, and I would think that your nephew would find them enjoyable to hear while his dad plays them.

Thank you. I have had 2 people who wrote a poem for me. They are very special. Since I'm not that creative with words, I was hoping I could make my nephew feel special (perhaps when he is older) knowing that someone actually wrote some tunes for him.

Edited by Tubbie0075 (02/20/17 05:37 AM)

YouTube channel

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
What's Hot!!
New Forums Location & New Piano World Site
---------------------
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player!
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
A. Geyer Pianos
A. Geyer Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Music Theme Scarves

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sampletekk Black 70% off
by TheodorN
04/28/17 06:03 PM
MIT Piano Drop
by WhoDwaldi
04/28/17 05:35 PM
Possible to disable internal sounds on Yamaha P60 keyboard?
by Fscotte
04/28/17 03:58 PM
In the middle of choosing a piano concerto
by chrisyip789
04/28/17 02:57 PM
In Search Of The World's Greatest Pianos!
by Rich D.
04/28/17 02:54 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
87,549 Registered Members
44 Forums
179,270 Topics
2,620,245 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission