2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (bcalvanese, BillS728, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, danno858, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the General Discussion Room for the AB Forum “Beginners and Beyond” Recital #45!!!

Please use this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital #45 that is taking place in the Main Recital Thread.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is appropriate. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:

Recital #45 Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Enjoy the music! heart

J
J
So far so good!

1 PawelS - Very nice start to the recital. Your video was well done.

2. earlofmar - I know nothing about this piece so I can't really provide any technical feedback. I do think it sounded almost effortless. That's really fantastic that you have had a good experience with your current teacher.

3. MarieJ - Wow, so far this recital has a relaxed theme!!! Nice work. I'll be curious to see what advice you get on the trills from others. I don't know much but it almost sounds like you are tensing up a bit on the trills compared with the rest of the piece.

4. CarlosCC - This really is fantastic. It's like there's a message you are sending through this. Good work with voicing. I feel like the soft parts could be even softer. loved the ending.

Adult Beginner Since 2012
Steinway L, Casio Privia

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxmK-PCS4k9WTLV1oRSJ7g
J
J
5. SwissMS - this was a nice change of pace. nice rhythm! i liked the sound of the piano but that one C above middle C stuck out for being a little out of tune.

Adult Beginner Since 2012
Steinway L, Casio Privia

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxmK-PCS4k9WTLV1oRSJ7g
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
FIRST HALF:

1. Moonlight Sonata - very expressive and moving
2. Consolation No. 1- slipped me into reverie
3. Leo - all sort of pictures popped up in my head like scenes from a movie
4. Divenire - same effect on me as Leo (no. 3) but more drama
5. Willy Wagglestick- got my inner rhythm going along with the music
6. Gluckes Genug- very organic sound
7. When Rivers Flowed - Reminded me of one of favourite pop songs, Evanescence’s Good Enough
8. Music for Tunnels - Made me tried to imagine being in the tunnels during my Europe trip last year
9. Ships of Troy - so sorrowful it hurts!
10. I Remember Clifford - Brought me to the piano lounge
11. Rondo All Turca - very energetic!
12. Intermezzo - restless
13. Lost elevator - happy and light-hearted
14. Invention No. 13 - the music played itself
15. Intermezzo - simply beautiful!
16. Venetian Gondola Song - same effect on me as Divenire (no. 4)
17. Shangri-la - same effect on me as Clifford (no. 10)
18. Merry Farmer - brought me right back to Suzuki violin book 1!
19. -
20. Short Prelude - good effort
21. Lost - a peculiar piece. In the second piece which ended abruptly, didn’t Ravel wrote it? Pavane?
22. Kreisleriana - very expressive playing, especially the second section of the piece.
23. Intermezzo - I enjoyed the “stretch” and “release” of the tension throughout the piece.
24. Daydreaming - felt like I’ve come to an emotional resolution
25. Nocturne - no words!
26. Sakura - never heard this arrangement before. Interesting.
27. Nocturne - Very brave attempt! Though, try not to rush when there are more notes and things get difficult. Take your time :-)

Be yourself

B
B

I hope I have more time to comment on this recital!

My first subjective take is on #37 lyricmudra Einaudi Monday

Having played this twice today I have this piece going through my head right now!
This is a very nice performance. Really exquisite. I love the subtle touches like the dynamics in the long section with all the triplets. This and many other subtle touches.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
SECOND HALF:

28. Summerful: professionally and musically executed
29. Intermezzo: sensitive playing
30. Comptine D'un Autre Été - Brought me back to the first year I met my partner, when I first watched this movie
31. Sonata K380 - full of characters
32: Fading Light - moody yet colourful sound
33. Jacob's Theme - like listening to a professionally played and recorded music
34. Night in May - the music gave me mixed feelings
35. Time for bed - sensitive playing
36. Waltz in A minor - imagine listening to this played live, sitting next to the fire with a glass of wine on a cold winter's night
37. Monday - full of emotion and drama, not the kind of Mondays I imagined.
38. Our Town - nicely played but I don't what to make of this music. It feels foreign for some reasons.
39. A Curious Story - needs a bit more curiosity but enjoyed the piece
40. Minuet in G - Again! Brought me back to Suzuki Violin Book 1. I always warm up with this piece when I haven't played my violin for months.
41. La Lutine - characterful playing
42. Stormy Weather - If there's a stormy weather, this cheers me up right away.
43. Inspiration - I didn't get inspired, but I did felt some emotional resolutions.
44. Nocturne - melody nicely sung
45. Sonata in Dm - the rhythm sounds tricky
46. Sonata in Am - I wish you have a Steinway concert grand. You truly deserve having one!
47. Sonatina in C - sweet little piece
48. Little Prelude - It's surely is little. Too short Mr. Bach!
49. Solitude - like being haunted by the past
50. Waltz in Am - It sounded like you enjoyed playing this piece
51. Prelude in Cm - You made it to the recital! Good effort.

Last edited by Tubbie0075; 02/15/17 04:34 AM.

Be yourself

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
1 Pawel - VERY nicely played. Lots of good feeling.

2. earlofmar - It's been such a long time since I've listened to this piece. I forgot how lovely it sounds… but maybe that's just your playing smile

3. MarieJ - Now that you suggest it as a lullaby I can really get that feeling from it. Very sweet, very moody. Very nice playing.

4. CarlosCC - I always look forward to hearing your latest. You have a great "grasp" of Einaudi. My only "criticism" is that… man, I would love to hear you playing this on a big friggin concert grand! smile

05. SwissMs- Ha… what a change from the last two moody works. I can really tell you had fun playing this. And you are right, the piano sound is perfect! Well done!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If anyone is interested, I created a playlist file that can be used with VLC.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aq5RA8FZygcygcp3p-lVPIxyU0dSIw

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

What a great recital this is. Some of my favourite pieces, lots of excellent entries, and enjoyment and love of music sounding through all the performances.

But let's start at the beginning - or rather the end. I was the next to last entry - until blackjack stole that magic number 50 from me when he entered a newer recording wink - and that gave me idea to work backwards through the recital. No, work is not the correct word, it is a great pleasure.

51. Patbreaker - Prelude in c minor
I am happy that you decided to make a late entry - a really nice performance.

50. blackjack1777 - Waltz A Minor Op. Posthumous
Two versions of this Waltz which is on my short list of pieces that I absolutely have to learn one day, what a treat! You play the melody including dynamics and ornamentation really well. I think if you take a day to practice the left hand separately and get it more flowing (think oom-pa-paaah where the last chord is not played staccato but fills up the space to the next measure) you will surprise yourself how amazing you can make it sound.

49. Montuno - Solitude
Keep practicing and one day you might even manage to play Jingle Bells.

48. lvojnovic - BWV 939 Little prelude in C major
A very clean performance, really impressive.

47. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Sonatina in C (Op. 36, No. 1, II - Andante)
It is very nice to hear some of the entries by people that have started around the same time I did, like Ivojnovic and you. Since we both frequent the Alfred thread I have been following your progress and as this excellent recording shows you are moving - or I should rather say leaping - forward very nicely.

46. PikaPianist - Sonata in A minor (Wq49/1), 3rd mvmt
I have no idea how this Sonata 'should' sound since I didn't know it, but your energetic interpretation fits it quite well. Very enjoyable to listen to.

45. briangmoore - Scarlatti Sonata in D minor K32
That's a beautiful Sonata, one of the great things about this recital is that besides fresh performances of pieces you know you also get to hear stuff you didn't know. Thanks for playing this, I added this to my list of things I would like to learn one day. Well done on the performance. If I may give you one suggestion: the phrasing in this Sonata with its deliberate tempo is really important. Try to identify the climax in each of the phrases (put arrows or something in your score) and try to make it stand out. That will push the emotional impact of your performance to the next level. Have fun experimenting!

44. UnderConstruction - Nocturne Op9 No2
This is not only my favourite Chopin, this is easily in the top 3 of my favourite songs/pieces in any genre. My dream is to one day play this Nocturne well. And I have to say, if I manage to do only half as well as you did, I would be extremely happy.
You really nailed the dynamics and the rubato, everything sounds just like that's the correct way to play it. Often in Chopin there's these notes that almost sound as they are stuck in the keys and need to be pulled out. With your exquisite control you get this exactly right. Really impressive!
One tip - and I'm only nitpicking here since everything is so very good: toward the end, at 3:50 in the recording, you start that part playing pretty loud. As a result you have nowhere to go during the next phrase (at 3:57) and it sound a bit flat. I think if you back down at 3:50 more you can extend the crescendo through both phrases and get a really powerful build up to the next section.

43. Piano Primo 1 - "Inspiration" -Love Theme
To be honest I found this piece a bit boring. But that is not because of your performance which was very good.

42. Mike White Yamaha G3 & p-80 - Stormy Weather
Your piece makes me want to sit in a dark bar with a glass of good Scotch whisky, close my eyes and listen to the piano. Hmm, I should do that again soon. wink
Nice job!

41. Zoot64 - La Lutine
Well it's clear you did overcome the challenge. Congratulations!

Casio Privia PX-150 - Pianoteq
Working on Classical Piano Method (Hans-Günter Heumann)

My Music
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow that's really bad. In my rush to get in I spelled my own screen name wrong. eek

Thanks for the comments and for listening. And for the last recital too because I'm not sure if I finished posting there.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
23. Forrest Halford - Brahms Intermezzo, Op. 117, #2
This is absolutely wonderful, Forrest, and it's great to have you back in the recitals.

You've paid very close attention to the text and imbued it with creative and thoughtful decisions without compromising it and it's a very fussy text to boot. Hats off and enjoy the wedding!

27. Greener/Jeff - Db Nocturne
Wow, that's some improvement, Jeff. You've got a great left hand going through this piece and no shortage of dexterity. For those times when you do come back to this I'd lessen the requirement for speed and get the RH soft and articulate first and add the LH in dribs and drabs with all the tempo stretching you need so as not to interfere with the smooth RH. This piece can tolerate a good deal of elasticity in this regard.

Powerful amount of effort you've put into this, great job!

02. earlofmar - Consolation No 1
This is lovely playing, earlofmar, you've got the control you need for the piece but there are still things that might give you food for thought while you invest this exam piece with more time.

It's a consolation, not a drama, and it's marked dolce. The first phrase climaxes on the big 6+9 chord on the downbeat of M4, the only note on a downbeat in this phrase*. I think of the last three notes of M4 as the upbeat to the second phrase rather than the end of the first despite the phrase markings. This aligns with his handling of the reprise as well so the first phrase ends on the third beat of M4. Try to bleed the pedal off these last three notes instead lifting suddenly.

*A question, for you. Why do you think he started M1 with a crotchet rest, instead of using the measure as an anacrusis, and avoided a downbeat before M4?

Play just the upper RH notes of this first phrase with the dolce in mind then add the notes of the chords as if they were a secret only you, the performer, know and give this tender melody just a glint of colour. You might add the chords one note at a time from the bass upwards. Likewise in M5 & 6 pretend the chords are a secret colouring of the plaintive Bs that only the select few can hear.

The top Es in M9, 11, 13 and 15 are a touchstone for your phrasing skills. They are a parallel of the Bs in M5&6 but which one is the loudest? It would be tempting to make the third one the strongest and build a crescendo up to it but for that little falling grace. I think this is the climax of the middle section (and of the piece) but the first E is the dynamic high and this graced E is the emotional climax with the second and fourth Es each being an echo of the preceding one. Give the climax more time instead more volume. You've left a silence there but I'm not sure how deliberate that was. If it's deliberate make that self evident.

The final run of quavers in the bass - I'd keep them a secret, too.

The work ahead is not hard. You have all the skills in place. It is slow, careful and thoughtful though and I would tackle it in three sections, m1-8, m8-16 and m16-25, taking only a few minutes and one section each day and doing the whole piece over three days.

Good luck with the exam.

Note: this was a Grade 6 piece, ABRSM, in my time, which would be more demanding. For Grade 5 you may be a lot closer to the requirements than my comments might lead you to believe.

40. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Minuet in G 116 BWV
I love this minuet and frequently play Anh. 114 - 116 as a set. You are fluent in the main body of the piece and considering the recent absence and 'flu the hesitations are quite understandable.

The passages that seem to break the flow are the transitions where the inherent rhythm changes. This haunts all of us at times. It also suggest that we need to practise these passages all the more and that's where I'd direct your attention. Slow practise with a solid count should sort these out.

I don't know what source you used and how much editing might have been added but I'd discuss the RH articulation with your teacher in M7, M13-15 and M25-27. The left hand articulation might be more evident after that but you'll need to write it into the score or practise it carefully hands together and apart until it's more established. It will really lift this piece for you.

I hope you're back to full strength, Cheryl.

31. Sam S - Sonata K380
This is one of my favourite Scarlatti sonatas! You've done a splendid job with all the articulation requirements, Sam. If you continue to work on this I'd spend the time trying to tame the sound a bit further. I know you're already fighting logistical problems in this regard but you've pulled off the echo effects well enough in many places that you still have room here.

There's only a subtle difference in the dynamics of the baroque period compared to today so containment is the key, I think. The martial staccato passages would be the first item on my list in this regard.

Huge plaudits for the memorising! It may have meant venturing into more modulatory keys than Scarlatti might have chosen wink but this will resolve itself when you get more used to being paperless. The time and effort you've put in are clear and the entire piece is enjoyable to listen to.

Richard
X
X
Riddler - really enjoyed I Remember Clifford. Awesome Job!

peterws - Great Job on your original composition - The Lost Elevator

Peyton - Amazing video goes so well with your composition. Dark... somber. Very well done.

SwissMS - Doris... loved it. Foot tapping, happy song. You go girl!

Many of the classical pieces were amazing, but my knowledge of classical music is so poor, I can't make any comment except Good job, Everyone! We have a boatload of talent here on PW.

'Just Leap and the net will appear'

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tubbie0075

39. A Curious Story - needs a bit more curiosity but enjoyed the piece

I didn't understand exactly what you meant, but this morning I sat at the piano with your comment in mind and I just played the piece with all the energy and clarity that I could, and it went really well! So thank you smile

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
1 PawelS

Super start to the recital. Loved the slower speed, it brings out the depressive nature of his music. It's hard to replicate that if you're not that way inclined! Why not include the second part for a nice contrast in mood!

2 earlofmar

Very pleasantly and empathically played, if I might be so bold! Nice piano you have there . . . .

3 Marie J

Good bell sound combined with a light touch creates a pleasant feeling which tinkies . . .Einaudi can be what you want it to be. Nice work!

4 CarlosCC

Love the sound; those Yammies fit into this genre seamlessly and ring out so well with clarity and dynamics. Powerful and passionate!

5 Swiss MS

Bit different for you, lass! Handled great, but fluidity will come with a bit more time. The more you enjoy this stuff, the better it gets! And you sound like you enjoyed it, as i did.

6 Wouter 79

Possibly one of his shortest songs, I love this and all the op15 pieces which were schumnann's own favourites. Great job. I just heard the powerful version!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
40. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Minuet in G 116 BWV
You are correct, it is a charming piece. And your playing brings out the charm very well. Nice.

39. sinophilia - A Curious Story - Op. 15 no. 2
That is an enjoyable performance.

38. carlos88 - Our Town, III. The Resting-place on the Hill
I don't like this piece. It has nothing to do with your playing which was fine. I guess it is just not my cup of tea.

37. lyricmudra - Monday
Wow! My favourite Einaudi! Thank you so much for doing this. I love your performance very much.

36. Moonsh1ne - Waltz in A Minor, Op. Posthumous
You make these jumps with the left hand look so easy. As for the sound, very nice and smooth.

35. jazztpt - Time For Bed
That is very lovely. I closed my eyes as I was listening and this really carried me away. You have every reason to be very proud of your ongoing creation.

34. that'sRich - Night in May
That's a pretty good effort, despite your troubles with the dynamics.

33. Kris Shendo - Jacob's Theme
You did well on the jazzy interpretation. And great job on working this out from memory!

32. SandTiger - Fading Light
A very nice composition. Congrats!

31. Sam S - Sonata K380
One take? Wow, well done. You make it sound quite effortless.

Casio Privia PX-150 - Pianoteq
Working on Classical Piano Method (Hans-Günter Heumann)

My Music
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by zrtf90

Wow, that's some improvement, Jeff. You've got a great left hand going through this piece and no shortage of dexterity. For those times when you do come back to this I'd lessen the requirement for speed and get the RH soft and articulate first and add the LH in dribs and drabs with all the tempo stretching you need so as not to interfere with the smooth RH. This piece can tolerate a good deal of elasticity in this regard...

Outstanding. Thank you kindly, Richard.

You know, I do practice a good deal this way now and due to your influence as well. When it comes time to record though, I seem to want to throw all that out the window to bring everything within a narrow tempo range and end up rushing where I don't need to. I've already tried specifically as you're suggesting. It's going to come along fine and I am so pleased about that. It was not such a ridiculous stretch piece after all, as it seemed to be in the beginning. I enjoy playing it. Just not all the time and why I'll need to give it some rest, but not too much. Really appreciate the insight.

----

I'll just comment on a few videos for now. That is where I started last night, but then the phone rang and I had to go out and salt 50 properties starting at midnight. I've had like 3 hours sleep in the last 30+ hours. I find it hard to sleep well in the day, so I got 3 hours this morning and will just function in a bit of a daze for now. Surprisingly, I often play better when in this state. crazy

PawelS - Moonlight Sonata Op.27 No.2 Mov.1
Very nicely done. Good care in bringing out the melody and keeping accompaniment quiet. There are people here that can explain a few things that will help far better then I. Not sure if you are aware of it, so will just mention one thing I noticed. If I am not mistaken around the 49 second mark in video you are missing a beat and 3 note thingy. I thought possibly just a mistake but when you did it again at around 1:07 or so I thought I would mention. Good job and do keep coming back to this piece. It never ends.

SwissMS/Doris - Willy Wagglestick's Walkabout

Great, fun piece. Not your usual style I think and comes off well. The acoustic hammer sound is very crisp and clear in this recording. That is the sound I am going for when recording. Beautiful looking piano and fine playing Doris. Hope you're enjoying Spain, sounds fabulous. But then so did Switzerland. smile

AZ_Astro - When Rivers Flowed on Mars
This is nice. I was not familiar with it and very enjoyable short listening. Nicely played.

Peyton - Music For Tunnels
Fabulous quality production, Peyton. Nice portrayal of your composition, playing and artistic style.

Monica K. - Ships of Troy
Interesting piece. The pick up at the one minute mark is lovely. So is the harmony throughout. You play it clean with good tone and clear distinction in melody. Effective and great sound.

JustinDAggie - Rondo Alla Turca

You're doing well. I come here for coaching with this stuff, so won't offer much. One thing I know to be careful with, as it was drilled into me early, is rushing. Yet, it still happens. Just be aware of it is all. It can easily occur naturally in performance, unless really careful and watching for it. Good job on a tricky piece.

Forrest Halford - Brahms Intermezzo, Op. 117, #2
Really enjoyed your video Forrest. Nicely shot. Lovely piano and quality performance all around. Beautifully done.

----
night night

Edit:
Not sure what happened. I was sure I'd written something for peterws. Now it's not there. Guess I didn't copy quite right. Oh oh ...

Peter. Really good writing. Composition is one thing but writing out like this is outstanding. Very smooth playing too and nice sound.

Last edited by Greener; 02/15/17 05:00 PM.
7 AZAstro

Lovely dark sound, fluid and so very evocative!

8 Peyton

Now, this is something else. An exercise on what you can do with a few chords? No. Much much more than that. Lively steady left hand, resonating right make this sound like it's come from a workstation. Evocative, love the discords and the deep variation you put in. I am blown away . . . . . .!

9 Monica K

That is a wonderful sound you get from the piano; excellent atmosphere along with the lighter bits. Enjoyed the contemplative side to this. well done.

10 Riddler

Nice, Ed. Works really well for you, wi those chords and stuff. Very polished to my ears! Money earning stuff . . .

11 Justin DAggie

Not easy is it? You handled the hard bit after the 1 minute mark very well! Overall, a lively rendition of a populae piece! Very useful for testing a new piano with . . .

12 J Soo

Quality sound, wonderful playing! Your left hand must be jiggered by now; Nice! And i get to follow it . . . ha ha

Last edited by peterws; 02/15/17 05:30 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
29. MaryBee - Intermezzo Op. 117 No. 1
This one seems vaguely familiar wink

You've chosen a more passionate and emotive interpretation to me but remained faithful to the text. You've no doubt wrestled with some of these passages to discover how carefully Brahms adds harmony. He was a perfectionist who discarded more than he published. This is very narrow writing relying on his unique style without the scales and arpeggios of his peers.

You foretold the impending tragedy of the Piu adagio very well in the four bars preceding it but perhaps with more menace than I found. Did you intend to keep it cloudy with the pedal at the start of the second half (e.g. M30) to add to the menace? This is more in keeping with the ballad but I would have preferred to see more variance in the dynamic markings before I chose that direction.

This is a really enjoyable performance. You've made great progress with your teacher.

45. briangmoore - Scarlatti Sonata in D minor K32
This is a gorgeous sonata and well within the technical ability of an adult starter. What is difficult is getting the basics in place as a matter of course.

One of the first ways of practising this piece is to get the count solid by dropping the second and third notes of the first bar. Just get one note per beat while counting the bar, one-two-three.

Bar 1, then, is D-E-D. Next add the semiquaver F, counting one-and-two-(and)-three-(and). Finally, add the demisemiquaver E and count double-1, double-2, double-3.

The left hand could be quieter if you can manage that. Just trying is enough. Don't worry excessively about it but do keep it in mind - it will happen in time. The ornaments are fine as long as they aren't interfering with the rhythm.

You have everything else in place. Well done.

28. Ganddalf - "Sommerfugl" (Butterfly, Op.43 no.1)
A delightful rendition, Ganddalf, despite your misgivings. You've captured the erratic, flighty nature of the butterfly very well.

It's difficult to identify the piece as one of Grieg's until that characteristic harmony comes in at the una corda passages and similar. Very enjoyable.

It would benefit us to hear more of Grieg from a Norwegian who can more naturally capture the idiomatic accent in his music.

39. sinophilia - A Curious Story - Op. 15 no. 2
You've got a nice contrast between the jaunty sections and the softer legato parts but do keep an eye on the rhythm. Are you still counting or tapping when you practise?

I'm guessing the score you're using is bereft of the graces at the start of the main theme. If you get around to putting them in they go before the beat so they should be easier to add though they will make the opening figure a little harder.

You have consistently played the wrong notes at the end of the first phrase so I'm guessing you're playing from a spurious score (or a faulty memory). You might want to check what's available from IMSLP. The First Edition from Breitkopf und Haertel is sound.

This is no small feat for a pianist of five years - it's an ABRSM Grade 5 piece, if memory serves, and you do it justice after self-teaching for that many years. Way to go!

08. Peyton - Music For Tunnels
This was an experience, Peyton! You have a real gift for atmosphere. The use of multimedia adds so much to the whole thing. I really enjoyed it and I'm giving you a standing ovation.

Richard
S
S
My first batch of impressions:

01. PawelS - Moonlight Sonata Op.27 No.2 Mov.1
Enjoyed your playing, and I like how well you brought out the melody (an often underdone aspect when this piece is played by amateurs). And I like the lighting in your video!
One technical suggestion: Beethoven specified that this piece to be played pp, and were you to play it to that specification, it would create a wholly different dimension and mood to this piece.

02. earlofmar - Consolation No 1
Nicely and evenly played. I enjoyed it!

03. MarieJ - Leo
What a lovely piece! And I loved your delicate touch. Great job!

04. CarlosCC - Divenire
Wow! Beautiful piece--and nearly perfectly executed. And so cleanly recorded and produced! I'm impressed.

05. SwissMS/Doris - Willy Wagglestick's Walkabout
Good job on your first boogie woogie piece. It was fun, and I enjoyed listening.

06. wouter79 - Gluckes genug, Kinderszenen, Op. 15, No. 5
This piece was so short, I had to listen to it twice to form an impression! It is indeed a happy piece. And I think you did a good job with it, but I can hear a few spots where it sounds like you might have been struggling a bit with keeping things up to tempo. You mentioned that your teacher still feels you have a long way to...and I presume the word "go" got cut off at the end of your sentence. So what exactly would your teacher like you to continue working on with it?

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
01. PawelS - Moonlight Sonata Op.27 No.2 Mov.1: You play this with the deliberate tempo this beautiful piece demands... so calming and serene. (I love your piano room, by the way; the fireplace and artwork over the piano really added to the atmosphere of the piece.)

02. earlofmar - Consolation No 1: I don’t know enough about classical music, or Liszt, to offer any useful fine-tuning suggestions, but I *will* say that your playing sounded effortless to me. smile

03. MarieJ - Leo: I love your interpretation of “Leo” as depicting a reluctant toddler being induced to take a nap. laugh I’ve always wished I could play this piece (largely because of the oh-so-catchy melody at the 1:07 mark), but all those trills are way beyond me. You didn’t seem to have any problem with them, however! Beautifully played.

04. CarlosCC - Divenire: I’m always thrilled to hear one your Einaudi interpretations. I really like your new introduction (much better than the sheet music arrangement, in my opinion). I think your “Night” variation is still my favorite, but this one is pretty, too.

05. SwissMS/Doris - Willy Wagglestick's Walkabout: This had me tapping my toes, and it looked like you were having a heck of a lot of fun playing it, especially the tremolo part.

06. wouter79 - Gluckes genug, Kinderszenen, Op. 15, No. 5: Although short, it’s clear this piece is not at all simple; I heard a lot of complex chords and rhythms. Very well done!

07. AZ_Astro - When Rivers Flowed on Mars: I had never heard of this composer before, but her music is right up my alley... the bass pattern is very much like something Einaudi or Nevue would use. You do a great job of communicating the poignancy of this piece.

08. Peyton - Music For Tunnels: Love this composition, AND your video, which captured well the dark and brooding tone of this piece.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission