Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Who's Online Now
86 registered members (Almaviva, 36251, ando, AlanB, accordeur, 25 invisible), 1,841 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2614487 - 02/14/17 10:03 PM Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
AB Forum Recital  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD!

I am delighted to introduce our 45th quarterly AB Forum “Beginners and Beyond” Recital! smile So, pull up a chair and have a listen.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the audience to please refrain from commentary in this recital room.

A separate room has been provided for the purposes of intermezzo discussion. Please take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room.

Thank you!

In addition to the zip files linked below, mahlzeit has added a feature to his program that creates an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Online Streaming Player

A template has been created for those who wish to provide individualized feedback:

Recital #45 Response Template

For the convenience of forum members, mahlzeit's program has normalized the files for consistent volume and standardized the ID3 tags in a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

Recital 45 Zip 1
Recital 45 Zip 2
Recital 45 Zip 3
Recital 45 Zip 4
Recital 45 Zip 5
Recital 45 Zip 6
Recital 45 Zip 7

And here's the link to Sam S.'s terrific ABF recital index, that allows you to browse through and search for pieces in all of our past recitals:

AB Forum Recital Index

Let me express my greatest thanks to some very special people: Mr Super-Hunky for coming up with the idea of our online recitals, which have proven to be more successful than any of us ever dreamed; LaValse for hosting the recitals for so long and then devoting hours of programming trouble-shooting making the transition to Frank's servers; Frank for agreeing to host the recital now that it's gotten so big; Copper for trouble-shooting help and spearheading the Order of the Red Dot; CarlosCC for continuing to maintain the Order of the Red Dot; Sam S. for his terrific AB Forum Recital Index and also devoting hours to programming trouble-shooting; and last but not least, mahlzeit for writing the absolutely fantastic web-based recital program that we are using. THANK YOU MAHLZEIT!!! heart

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2614488 - 02/14/17 10:04 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:PawelS
Experience:22 months
Direct music link:click to download
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdt0-iCJ3f8
Title of piece:Moonlight Sonata Op.27 No.2 Mov.1
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:06:39
Instrument used:Roland RD-800 > Hans Zimmer Piano
Recording method:audacity
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:I usually play this piece faster but this time I've tried to play it slower and found out that the slower it is played the harder is to keep a consistent tempo.

#2614489 - 02/14/17 10:05 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:earlofmar
Experience:4 Years
Title of piece:Consolation No 1
Composer:Liszt
Duration:01:50
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Kawai K-8
Recording method:Zoom H4n
Additional info:I have not been able to participate in the last few recitals as I took time out to re-evaluate my piano regime, and for a while it felt like I was a complete beginner again with nothing to offer. I stopped all then current projects no matter how far progressed and changed teachers. I have to say my new teacher has been so pivotal in my recent development I don't know how I could have managed without her. This piece feels very special to me as it is the first tangible result of our collaboration.

This is the easiest of the six Consolations by Liszt, and I was probably charmed by the apparent simplicity of the piece when I first heard it. That was a good few months ago, and subsequently a lot of time and effort has been put in to get the piece sounding the way it does today. This piece forms a group of six that I will be taking to an AMEB Grade 5 exam in November of this year. Using previous personal criteria I would be happy to say the piece is done and dusted, but there is still room for improvement, particularly some subtleties I want to address, so any comments are welcome. To achieve top marks in the exam each piece must be played as if effortless, I am only at the semi effortless stage at present. First time using my new Zoom H4n recorder and I am still experimenting. I cannot seem to exclude some unwanted pedal noise so apologies there.

#2614490 - 02/14/17 10:05 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:MarieJ
Experience:A couple of brief dabbles half a century apart before discovering Einaudi in December 2011. Self taught since.
Title of piece:Leo
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:04:29
Source of music:'Una Mattina' sheet music album
Instrument used:Yamaha P95, Pianoteq 5.8
Recording method:WAV file recorded by Pianoteq, converted to MP3 with Audacity
Additional info:Einaudi has described his 2004 album 'Una Mattina' as 'a collection of songs linked together by a story' - a story of his life, his home, his piano, his two children (Jessica and Leo). This piece alternates between lively and dreamy passages which seem to picture an energetic toddler in the process of surrendering to the inevitable nap. I like to think of 'Leo' as a lullaby.

'Leo' hasn't made an ABF Recital since a single appearance in 2008, so it's not Einaudi's best-known work here. Nor his easiest! Tricky rhythms were a challenge, and I discovered that I have a very long way to go with trills. I was still working on them up to the deadline, with a view to resubmitting, but improvement was minimal so I stayed with the original recording. My verdict? A real 'work-in-progress': lots of *work* and not enough *progress*.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2614491 - 02/14/17 10:06 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:CarlosCC
Experience:7+ years (self-taught since Dec2009)
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/carloscc-2
Title of piece:Divenire
Duration:06:34
Source of music:Played by ear/memory; original score from the book: "Ludovico Einaudi - Divenire"
Instrument used:Yamaha P85 (Grand Piano 1)
Recording method:Digital to PC; saved to MP3 with GoldWave
Additional info:After submitting "Nighbook" for the last recital I decided to play another of the iconic pieces by Einaudi, "Divenire" (in English "become"). It's a composition for piano and orchestra composed in 2006 and the challenge was to play something that works beautifully with an orchestra and turn it in something interesting with a piano only. So, based on the original score, I tried several approaches and I ended playing a different beginning and I added some notes and dynamics to give more "continuity" between some sessions.

I know that this is not the final form, but the main idea is here.
Thanks for listening.

#2614494 - 02/14/17 10:10 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:SwissMS/Doris
Experience:About 8 years
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLn-J4FNtgY&t=18s
Title of piece:Willy Wagglestick's Walkabout
Composer:Brian Bonsor
Duration:02:27
Instrument used:Feurich upright Accoustic
Recording method:Zoom Q4-Audacity
Additional info:This is my "C" choice for my grade 7 ABRSM exam at the end of May. This is the first true Boogie Woogie that I have played, and I had a lot of fun with it. The temporary piano that I have right now seems well suited to this kind of music!

#2614495 - 02/14/17 10:11 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:wouter79
Experience:7?
Title of piece:Gluckes genug, Kinderszenen, Op. 15, No. 5
Composer:Robert Schumann
Duration:00:54
Source of music:sheet music (Litolff), played mostly from memory
Instrument used:Grotrian-Steinweg 189
Recording method:DPA4060, EMU0404, Jecklin Disk
Additional info:This Kinderszenen bundle seems a collection of Schumann's childhood memories. Schumann composed this set of 13 character pieces "Kinderszenen" (child scenes) in 1838. These are mostly pieces of just 1 or 2 pages. My teacher tought that this was too difficult at this point but I liked it and started working on it anyway.
This piece is about some happy feeling or event. It's a brief (54 seconds), thick sweet rush, a slightly nervous happyness, like eating a chocolate birthday cake. I took it as a straightforward happiness with a only a slight increase of excitement at the start of the A' section but without much further up and downs. This gives a straightforward speed and thickness.
The piece has the form AAA'. The A' is basically the same as A, but where the A part is in d major, the A' part is half in f major, modulating back to d and then ending with a chromatically ascending bass line. I am ignoring the D.C. at the end, as it feels weird to me to do the modulation back to d and indicated ritardando and then start from scratch again.
There are some amazing chords in this piece that make it nice even when you play it at 1/4 speed. It's a bit unfortunate that they pass too quick to notice them when you play at speed. Maybe you can still hear those at 0:45-0.47 ?
The phrasing of the main melody is a little odd. If I would phrase the right hand melody normally, I would put play towards the end of each phrase. However, the melody of the left hand comes in while the right hand melody is still singing. The hearer would miss the entrance of the left hand and then it sounds weird. Therefore the peak is played a bit earlier, so that the left hand melody comes in more naturally.

I have been working a lot on getting a solid tone and phrasing. I think it can be heard, although judging from the instructions from my teacher there's still a long way to

#2614496 - 02/14/17 10:11 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:AZ_Astro
Experience:5 years and 3 months
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E-QPqh8Fvc
Title of piece:When Rivers Flowed on Mars
Composer:Nancy Telfer
Duration:01:04
Source of music:From the piano solo collection: "Planets and Stars" by Nancy Telfer. Available from JW Pepper at:
http://www.jwpepper.com/5987226.item#.WJGvt39Zvqh
Early Intermediate
Instrument used:Korg SP-250 digital piano used for midi input to Garritan CFX virtual piano software.
Recording method:I used the built-in recording capability of Ivory II Cantabile software.
Additional info:I have been fooling around with this piece for years but never really tried to polish it. It is a little tricky in parts and requires some work. My recording is a little uneven and I seem to have forgotten all dynamic markings in the score, but it is what it is.

I love the interleaving melodies and the mysterious texture of the piece.

#2614497 - 02/14/17 10:11 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:many
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZMu6D8ruSg
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:Music For Tunnels
Composer:P. Higgison
Duration:04:29
Instrument used:Young Chang Pramberger grand
Additional info:This piece is somewhat inspired by the idea that Brian Eno put forth around 40 years ago in an album called "Music For Airports". It was an electric ambient sound and really nothing like this but I liked the idea. Thus this piece, Music For Tunnels. As I wrote it I kept in mind the image of someone walking through a tunnel...dark and echoing. I also knew that I would try and film some kind of tunnel to go with this. fortunately there are many old civil war and WW2 era tunnels here on the coast of Maine and, although most are inaccessible in the Winter I was fortunate to find one I could get into. So, if you have a chance I hope you can watch the video on Youtube.

#2614498 - 02/14/17 10:11 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Monica K.
Experience:Since July of 2004.
Video link:https://youtu.be/Im5F52Q23ns
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/pianomonica
Title of piece:Ships of Troy
Composer:Michael Hanna
Duration:05:55
Source of music:Sheet music, obtained from www.michaelhannamusic.com
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin A
Recording method:mp3 file recorded on Zoom H4, amplified in Audacity; YouTube video recorded with Zoom Q8.
Additional info:"O ships of Troy,
Did you know where you were going
ten years ago
When your rowers sweated
And your proud beams parted
The passive seas of the world?
When every port was your harbour
Did you know then where you were heading? ..."

--Hecuba's song,
from The Trojan Women by Euripides;

This piece was composed by Hanna and based on music he wrote as a senior in high school (!!) for a student production of "The Trojan Women." There are four themes present in the piece: The opening tragedy chorus; Hecuba's song (the main melody); Poseidon's song; then a section titled "from gods to men" consisting of a repeating cascading downward run of 16th notes that culminate in a delightful crescendo; the tragedy chorus and Hecuba's song then repeats.

This piece is a sustain pedal lover's dream: The sheet music explicitly instructs the pianist to hold the sustain pedal down for many long sections (at one point, 29 straight measures!), including several chord changes; Hanna notes that "the sound will become very thick and muddy." laugh

Lunch was leftover spaghetti squash served with Moroccan-spiced veggies.

#2614502 - 02/14/17 10:21 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Riddler (Ed)
Experience:Two or three years of lessons as a kid; four years of jazz lessons as an adult; and a lifetime of noodling and playing by ear.
Home page link:http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:I Rembember Clifford
Composer:Golson, Benny
Duration:04:30
Source of music:Lead sheet
Instrument used:Yamaha P-120
Recording method:Pianoteq/Audacity
Additional info:I Remember Clifford is a beautiful threnody in honor of jazz trumpeter Clifford Brown. I have submitted this song previously, in 2008 and 2011. I like to think I have made steady improvement, but must admit that the pace is a bit on the glacial side. The big differences with this recording are that I play a short solo, and use the technique of playing arpeggios under the chords, which I learned from Dan Coates' arrangement of Over the Rainbow. My arrangement, working from a lead sheet.

#2614503 - 02/14/17 10:21 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:JustinDAggie
Experience:About 4, more serious since 2015
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_ZyiURR3s8
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxmK-PCS4k9WTLV1oRSJ7g
Title of piece:Rondo Alla Turca
Composer:Mozart
Duration:03:20
Instrument used:1967 Steinway L
Recording method:i-phone, smart-converter
Additional info:I really love this piece (I mean, who doesn't) but feel very "exposed" when I play it. Little mistakes and problems with my technique just really seem to stick out.

I took the liberty of not repeating the E section twice. My apologies to Mozart and to everyone else for this offense. I also subconsciously tend to slow the C section down just a little bit. My sheet music says this should be played more heavily.

The fingering of one of the runs in the coda section tricks me up. It's where the following sixteenth notes are played in the RH: D-C#-B-C#-D-C#-B-C#-DMAJchord. Right now I'm using 5th finger on the D but I may change that up because it doesn't work well at a fast tempo.

There are quite a few variations on this movement by various artists. I like the Anderson and Roe piano duo version. They add more of a ragtime flair which I think fits. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYSNmMJHVqM

#2614504 - 02/14/17 10:22 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:J Soo
Experience:About 10 years as a child, sporadically for 30-some years after that, then fairly seriously for the last year
Title of piece:Intermezzo (from Faschingsschwank aus Wien, op. 26)
Duration:02:15
Source of music:Played from memory, learned from the Breitkopf & Hartel edition of Schumann's complete solo piano music (Samtliche Klavierwerke, vol. IV)
Instrument used:Roland FP-30 driving Pianoteq 5, Grotrian Concert Royal (Recording 3 preset)
Recording method:Pianoteq-generated WAV file converted to MP3 in iTunes
Additional info:I was assigned this piece by the 3rd and last piano teacher I had in my youth; I had auditioned for him by playing the Allegro (first section) from the same suite. I fear I must have been a disappointing student; I had just started at the boarding school where he taught and was overloaded with coursework, and rather neglected the piano. He was a helpful teacher nonetheless, so, Mr. C, this performance is dedicated to you!

The right hand does most of the heavy lifting in this piece: the left hand mainly sticks to a simple accompaniment, while the right hand has a continual flurry of arpeggiated chords along with the melody. I would like to play it more expressively but just getting the notes in at tempo is quite challenging for me. Actually I think the piece also works very well at a much slower tempo, giving it the feel of a nocturne. But passionate intensity is apparently what the composer intended and so I've tried for that here.

#2614505 - 02/14/17 10:22 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:peterws
Experience:Loads
Video link:https://youtu.be/e_EOidt9A7w
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/dashboard?o=U
Title of piece:Lost elevator
Composer:Me
Duration:02:01
Source of music:Ear. Music written out for once
Instrument used:Pianoteq K2
Recording method:Wav file converted
Additional info:Last of the Elevator music. It all has a similarity to it. Need to break free! Push forward! Think outside the box . . .

#2614506 - 02/14/17 10:23 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:h8dk97
Experience:Taking lessons since September 2015
Title of piece:Bach's Invention# 13
Composer:Johann Sebastian Bach
Duration:01:51
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha p255
Recording method:Through USB on Yamaha p255

#2614507 - 02/14/17 10:23 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Richard (zrtf90)
Title of piece:Intermezzo, Op. 117/1
Composer:Brahms
Duration:05:11
Additional info:"Balow, my babe, lie still and sleep!
It grieves me sore to see thee weep."

I started to learn this piece with vevurka (formerly verqueue) a couple of years ago and have taken it up to scratch a few times since. I learnt a lot from vevurka doing this.

It's not too difficult (for a difficult piece) and comes together quite quickly but getting it up to a consistent performance is slow going. The voicing of the melody inside the octaves is awkward and keeping the outer notes soft enough keeps the tempo under control.

It would be easy to overlook the composer's inspiration for this piece and miss some of the pathos. It quotes the chorus from the ballad, Lady Anne Bothwell's Lament, a lullaby sung by a mother to her child after having been abandoned by her lover. The central section going into the minor is the encapsulation of the main story told in the verses of the ballad, that of having been deceived by the father and the miserable life awaiting the child but the reprise, for me, introduces a faint glimmer of hope that I don't detect in the opening.

I can't believe I forgot the rinforzando in the coda. I must have been dreaming! Every other dynamic marking is either P or PP.

This Intermezzo has not yet been presented in the ABF Recitals but this time it comes up twice and is also accompanied by the second in the series. Had I known a month ago how much Schumann would show up in the list I might have been tempted to submit his Romance Op. 28/2 instead but I have to drop that into the forum, as a promise to peterws, in a week or so.

I extend my gratitude, as ever, to all those involved in these recitals, whether hosting, organising, participating or commenting. The absence of any one of these would detract from the inspiration, motivation, encouragement and experience that they bring.

#2614509 - 02/14/17 10:25 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:JoBert
Experience:Since childhood
Video link:https://youtu.be/14BTavpTE1o
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJcDLkLZ0uqWMVNKxPGOvpA
Title of piece:Venetian Gondola Song (Songs Without Words - Opus 30, No. 6)
Composer:Felix Mendelssohn
Duration:03:57
Source of music:Henle edition sheet music
Instrument used:Kawai CA 97 with Kawai SK-5 Chamber Grand voice
Recording method:Built-in recording, converted to MP3 with Audacity
Additional info:Felix Mendelssohn visited Venice on his great European tour in 1830 and the city made a great impression on him. He was later cited with: "Now the gondoliers are shouting at each other again and the lights are reflected far on the water; one is playing the guitar and singing. It is a joyful night."

He later wrote four Venetian Gondola Songs between 1830 and 1841, probably inspired by the impressions from his visit.

This is one of these four songs.

#2614510 - 02/14/17 10:26 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:xyzzyFL (Susan)
Experience:Fiddled around w/piano a few times over the years but never learned more than block chords/w melody. Taught myself to sort of read music, but haven't had a keyboard for about 30 years. Started working in the Alfred's Adult Piano Book 2 about a six weeks ago. Somehow, after all those years, I am able to play better than I ever have, but still have a LONG way to go.
Title of piece:Shangri-La
Composer:Matt Malneck & Robert Maxwell
Duration:01:36
Source of music:Sheet Music (published originally in 1946)
Instrument used:Yamaha DGX-660
Recording method:digital to PC - covert .wav to .mp3
Additional info:Loved this song as a teenager back in the 50's. Over the years tried to play it with no success. Sat down last week to look at it again and managed to play the entire thing. Been working on it since then and this recording has a several glitches in it, but it is the best I can do at the moment.

#2614511 - 02/14/17 10:26 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Chris Beecham
Experience:3 yr 8 mth
Title of piece:Merry Farmer
Composer:Schumann
Duration:00:57
Instrument used:Casio PX150
Recording method:Audacity
Additional info:Played a few Schumann pieces in Album for the Young, but wanted to tackle this as its in the Abrsm Grade 4 syllabus which is about my level at the moment

#2614512 - 02/14/17 10:26 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Tubbie0075
Experience:Returned to piano for about 7 years
Title of piece:Prelude pour Louis & 5 Pieces
Composer:Tubbie0075
Duration:04:35
Source of music:Own compositions
Instrument used:Kawai RX-2H, 2008.
Recording method:Zoom H4 & Logic Pro X
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:Last month, my sister asked me to search for a piano book easy enough for her husband to play (Thompson Grade 1 level). The book should have tunes that suit my 1 year-old nephew to listen to so his daddy can play for him. I suggested that I'd write the tunes myself instead as a gift to my nephew. My sister and her husband can name the pieces and even make up some lyrics to go with it. The idea was warmly welcomed.

I sent the sheet music and recordings about 2-3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back. So I guess they must have hated it but too polite to tell me. LOL

Anyway, since the pieces aren't fulling their purposes, I thought I'd share them here instead.

Prelude pour Louis - My nephew is Belgian (mixed Chinese), hence the French title.

Piece No. 1: I was thinking of "ung-gu-gu", something people say to babies to make them smile?
Piece No. 2: I was thinking of skipping or hopping.
Piece No. 3: I was thinking of a lullaby.
Piece No. 4: I was thinking of a waltz.
Pieces No 5: I was thinking of a happy and concluding piece to end the set.

It was a worthwhile project for me. At the very least, I know I can write some simple and silly tunes. I do hope someone will enjoy them.

#2614513 - 02/14/17 10:26 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:ajames
Experience:3.5
Title of piece:Bach short prelude in Cmin BWV 934
Composer:J.S. Bach
Duration:02:01
Instrument used:Kawai model 350
Recording method:Zoom H4n
Additional info:I really enjoy Bach, just wish his music didn't make me feel like I have some kind of brain damage!

#2614514 - 02/14/17 10:27 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Piano2138
Experience:10 months (+ a couple of years, years ago)
Title of piece:Lost
Composer:Milne, Elissa
Duration:01:39
Source of music:Celebration Series - Piano Repertoire Level 1, 2015 edition
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP-585
Recording method:Piano to USB, WAV normalized & converted to MP3 with Audacity
Additional info:Milne is an Australian contemporary composer, with wonderful educational pieces. Lost is a short, but to express the sadly indication, a challenging piece.

I've added the result of my work on a piece well beyond my level - as planned, the almost 7 beginning bars from Pavane pour une infante defunte by Ravel, a piece I love listening (in particular in the interpretation of Kun-Woo Paik).
Given my current level, I struggled with many things (technique, musicality, how to keep the sound soft), but a great learning experience in fingering, harmony and memory.

Thanks for listening.

#2614515 - 02/14/17 10:27 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:dynamobt/Marilyn
Experience:Easily 8 or 9 years as a kid. Dropped piano for decades. Currently 5 years with present teacher
Title of piece:Kreisleriana - Sehr Langsam (#4)
Duration:03:23
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:1918 fully restored Mason & Hamlin BB
Recording method:Zoom H2n to Audacity
Additional info:I became obsessed with Kreisleriana after Yuja Wang played it at Carnegie Hall last year. I've listened to many artists play it since. Trifonov, Argerich, Horowitz for just a few.

I asked my teacher last Fall before my shoulder replacement if she thought any of the piece was within my grasp. She said, "Go for it!" So, I sightread what I could of the various movements and settled on #4 as the most doable. It's been my shoulder rehab piece after surgery to replace my right shoulder in October.

I'm currently trying to learn #8. Time will tell how many movements I can conquer.

It's snowing out. My lesson was cancelled today. So thought I would make use of the extra time and record today. As usual, it's my "one take and done". I'm still a little more percussive than I would like in my playing. I have the opportunity to play it for a UNH Music professor in a master class on the 18th. I'm looking forward to him helping me make the piece more musical.

I had yogurt and almonds for lunch.

#2614516 - 02/14/17 10:28 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Forrest Halford
Experience:I should be better than I am.
Video link:https://youtu.be/4VRGRMkW9Kc
Title of piece:Brahms Intermezzo, Op. 117, #2
Duration:05:21
Source of music:Dover Publication (sheet music) played by memory
Instrument used:Baldwin Model L
Recording method:Zoom Q2HD
Additional info:Richard (Zrtr90) saw that I was working on these three Intermezzi and since he was submitting #1, asked if I would possibly submit one of the others. Sure I said, since when someone you consider a mentor makes a request you should do it. So here I am facing my fears and the red dot. I love playing, it's great therapy, but somehow I feel better if I think no one is listening, although I want them to listen. What a conundrum!!
This piece, as all of Brahms mature work, is tightly composed, rewarding to study and to play. Even though the piece is in Bb minor, you never get the Bb minor chord in root position until the very end. Brahms is the master of tonal ambiguity!
The Op. 117 set, as well as Bach 870 and 883, along with Debussy are being readied for my great niece's wedding in April of this year. There will be a red dot there, so I should just suck it up, right?
My Grandfather was four years old when these were published, but he had no idea who Brahms was. Likewise, Brahms had no idea who my grandfather was. Brahms was 59, the same age I'll be one week after that wedding.

Please pardon the sound of traffic. I live on a highway that sees 10,000 cars a day flying by at 55+.

#2614517 - 02/14/17 10:28 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Newbert
Experience:About 4 years as a "re-starting" adult, after giving it up for about 45 years.
Title of piece:Daydreaming
Composer:Ron Drotos
Duration:02:36
Source of music:Sheet Music plus Improvisation
Instrument used:Kawai VPC1 using Garritan CFX VST software.
Recording method:digital to PC
Additional info:This "piece" is actually an exercise from the "Flowing Waters" Module of Ron Drotos's Improvisation Course. I wasn't originally going to submit anything for this recital, since I've mainly been working on exercises found in two online courses that I'm taking, and have no new "pieces" ready. But I felt that this "exercise" was pleasant in its own right, so decided to submit it.

The first half of the recording is played from sheet music while the second half's RH melody is improvised over the repeating chord progression. The goal of the exercise is twofold: First, to get comfortable with the LH progression so that it becomes automatic and second-nature, and Second, to get comfortable in letting the RH "flow" (with no hesitations) in creating the improvisation.

Yes, the chord progression and the basic RH melody are both simple but the goal is to get comfortable with improvising. I hope that it shows through in this performance.

#2614519 - 02/14/17 10:28 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:SMA55 (Shepherd Abrams)
Experience:I was self taught as a child, but I (finally) began lessons almost 3 years ago.
Video link:https://youtu.be/15gEtpIHp90
Title of piece:Nocturne in Bb Minor
Composer:Frederic Chopin
Duration:05:55
Source of music:From memory
Instrument used:Steinway Model B
Recording method:Recorded with iPhone using Zoom iQ6 external microphone, uploaded to iMovie and Audacity, converted into mp4 and mp3 files.
Additional info:This is my second submission to ABF. Apart from a few minor gaffes, I'm mostly pleased with this one. I don't know why the video is slightly out of sync with the audio, as both came from the same source--my iPhone. Perhaps it was the titling that did it? Anyway, thanks a ton for listening! And please feel free to offer any constructive feedback.

Last edited by BB Player; 02/19/17 09:19 AM. Reason: Fixed video link
#2614520 - 02/14/17 10:28 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:kalospiano
Experience:1 year and a half
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Ze1gM_01M
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/kalos-piano
Title of piece:Sakura (Cherry Blossoms)
Composer:Rudolf Dittrich (arranger)
Duration:03:17
Source of music:http://imslp.org/wiki/Nippon_Gakufu_(Dittrich,_Rudolf)
Instrument used:Roland FP30
Recording method:Pianoteq
Additional info:I'm playing here a traditional Japanese song in the piano version arranged by Rudolf Dittrich.

There are other more modern versions around Youtube but I've never managed to find this one, which I believe keeps more intact the Eastern sound.

I'm taking quite a lot of liberty as regards to the tempo. The original version is faster, but I believe a slower pace, especially in certain sections (like the beginning) gives the music a more solemn feel.

I'm also using an old J. Schantz model in Pianoteq instead of the D4 I normally use, as I believe it sounds even more oriental with this string-y timbre, closer to an harpsichord, or, why not, a Japanese instrument like the Koto.

#2614521 - 02/14/17 10:29 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Greener/Jeff
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVdu7BEY43Q
Title of piece:Db Nocturne
Composer:Chopin
Duration:04:59
Instrument used:Yamaha UX-1
Additional info:I had worked on this piece for the recital of last May 2016. At the time it was all I had worked on for the recital so I recorded it, but the last 3rd fell completely apart. I had not completed learning it. Nonetheless, I left it after that and moved on to other things.

Well, I am now trying to get in the habit of completing pieces and not leaving behind so easily. I've had far too many pieces in this state already in my past, and don't want to perpetuate that more now. I decided to try to complete learning it and started in about November after the last recital.

There are some really tricky sections in this for me, which I've found very challenging to get smooth and nice, within a steady tempo. I remember hearing my Dad play it when I was young and always admiring the sound of the quick 3rds, 6ths and chromatic runs. Speed has never really been my thing though and it shows in areas requiring it.

As this is my 2nd time around with it, I will not be spending a great deal more time on it for very long. I will try to keep it up from time to time though, as I now do with many others like it. I appreciate any comments and suggestions that may be left and will apply them as I'm able. I remember what has been suggested for other pieces like Ab Waltz or Moonlight Sonata (from past recitals) and think of them any time I am playing these pieces. I do still play them and the suggestions always makes them better.

Thank you for listening.

#2614522 - 02/14/17 10:29 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Ganddalf
Experience:More than 50 years
Title of piece:"Sommerfugl" (Butterfly, Op.43 no.1)
Composer:Grieg
Duration:01:52
Source of music:Peters edition
Instrument used:Yamaha AvantGrand N1 hybrid piano
Recording method:Zoom H1
Additional info:This is the first time I submit one of Grieg's Lyric Pieces to one of the ABF quarterly recitals. Choosing "Butterfly" was perhaps a bad idea, since it is one of the most frequently played, and it is pretty challenging although it takes just below 2 minutes to play. Moreover I'm haunted by some bad habits from my young days when I "played" this piece in a just terrible way. I have tried to make a more polished version now, and I hope that you enjoy listening in spite of my shortcomings.

#2614523 - 02/14/17 10:29 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:MaryBee
Experience:too many years on my own; past 8 years with a teacher
Title of piece:Intermezzo Op. 117 No. 1
Duration:04:45
Source of music:http://imslp.org/
Instrument used:Charles Walter 1520 upright
Recording method:Tascam DR-08. Converted to MP3 using Audacity
Additional info:My teacher suggested that I try a Brahms piece and pointed me to Op. 118 No.3. But after listening to Op. 117 No.1 and falling under its charm, I decided to start my acquaintance with Brahms here.
A lullaby is implied from the inscription on the first page of the score. These lines read, "Sleep softly, my child, sleep softly and well! It breaks my heart to see you weep."
This piece is very much about its three voices and phrasing. It was fun deciding on the voice emphasis for each section, and playing with phrasing to see how it changed the resulting sound. Surprising to me, I did not feel intimidated by the 6 flats in the middle section. Maybe I'm finally starting to figure this out! The third section is my favorite, with some beautiful sixteenth note passages in the right hand.

#2614524 - 02/14/17 10:29 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:CRP
Experience:I started trying to teach myself at age 39, then decided to get a teacher after hitting a few walls. I have taken regular lessons for one and half years now, at 44. No other previous musical education.
Title of piece:Comptine d'un autre ete - L'apres midi
Composer:Yann Tiersen
Source of music:sheet music found on the net...
Instrument used:Steinway Model B
Recording method:via IPhone "Voice Memos" App, then converted m4p file to mp3 with ffmpeg
Additional info:This is the first "longer" piece that I have tackled since starting to play, and I have quite a few issues remaining concentrated throughout the piece. I can play short sections fine, but there is currently no way for me to go through the whole pieces without getting distracted at a certain point.
Unfortunately I will not have access to the piano for the next few days, so the version I uploaded, which contains a number of mistakes, is the best I could do, sorry wink

#2614525 - 02/14/17 10:30 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Sam S
Experience:I restarted about 8 years ago after 30+ years of no piano.
Title of piece:Sonata K380
Composer:Scarlatti, Domenico
Duration:05:19
Source of music:Henle
Instrument used:1927 Bechstein Model L - 90 years old this year!
Additional info:This is one of the more famous Scarlatti Sonatas, since Horowitz used to play it. I love it, but I would not have picked it just because it is so familiar - my new teacher wanted me to do it. When something is familiar, then if I play if differently (which I have to do - couldn't play it like Horowitz anyway), people think - "that's too slow", "that's too loud", and so forth. Much better to pick one of the less well known Sonatas - Scarlatti wrote about 600!

I try to play it bright and crisp, more baroque harpsichord than romantic piano. I am going for an echo effect at times, especially in the introduction, but that's hard to pull off.

My piano is 90 years old this year - I should have a birthday party. I moved it to a new room in the house, and I have not yet figured out how to tame the sound in that room. There's no furniture! I've got the lid closed and the fabric cover on so the balance is way off. More experimentation is required (and some furniture). My wife is making me a full-size quilt to hang on the wall - that should help!

I'm playing this in a recital next month. I recorded it in one take, from memory. That is a major accomplishment for me - I never thought I would be able to say that! The new teacher has really helped with my memory problems.

Thanks for listening!

#2614526 - 02/14/17 10:31 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:SandTiger
Experience:5 years
Home page link:http://sandtigerpiano.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:Fading Light
Composer:Sand Tiger
Duration:01:38
Source of music:Original composition.
Instrument used:Casio PX150
Recording method:On board recording. Transferred to PC. Audacity used to boost the signal.
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:The motif came to me during the last days of summer, and that was the working title for a while.

#2614527 - 02/14/17 10:31 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Kris Shendo
Experience:Several years as a child, many lapsed years, recently returned as an adult.
Title of piece:Jacob's Theme
Composer:James Newton Howard
Duration:01:26
Source of music:Memorised from watching film
Instrument used:VPC-1 with Ravenscroft sample library
Recording method:Digitally into laptop
Additional info:Recently I saw the film Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and liked the catchy little tune that emerged a couple of times in association with the "no-maj" (no magic) character Jacob Kowalski. I've tried an adaptation of the basic piano tune, which appears in the film in what I think are different keys - C minor and G minor. I've put it together in two halves for the different keys and improvised the bits where, in the film, other parts of the orchestra come in. As it's a simple tune it should have been easy but I've never tried playing anything "jazzy" or syncopated before so I actually found it quite tricky, but really enjoyed the process anyway. I hope you like it!

#2614528 - 02/14/17 10:31 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:that'sRich
Experience:5 years of lessons from age of 7 to 12 then about
2 1/2 years from age 27.
Title of piece:Night in May
Composer:Selim Palmgren
Duration:03:42
Instrument used:Upright acoustic piano - Waldemar(Berlin) - Manufactured in 1909.
Recording method:Zoom H4
Additional info:Also known as 'May Night','Spring Night' or 'Kevatyo', in the language of its composer it was called 'Night in May' on my mother's old piece of music dating from the 1930s.
The Finnish composer Selim Palmgren (1878 - 1951) I have read was strongly influenced by Schumann and Chopin and although his music was rooted in the late Romantic tradition he was the first Finnish composer to use impressionistic elements.
This piece was No.4 of 4 pieces in Opus 27 and was written in 1907 (the year following the piece I played in my 1st recital No.42 - Rosemary by Frank Bridge). I understand it was very popular during the first few decades of the 20th century but has over the years like its composer become much more obscure. That being said I have learned that it was a Grade 7 option in the ABRSM examinations for 2015 - 2016. In notes following the piece in the syllabus it mentions that full use is made of this composer's extensive tonal palette.
With this piece the volume level mostly is supposed to be quiet - with several pp's and also ppp's. I had problems playing chords successfully at these levels worrying that often one or two notes wouldn't sound. Consequently I ended up not playing as quietly as it should be played. That included a section half way through which was supposed to be played diminuendo - a run of changing chords in quavers - which I didn't manage to play in diminuendo! I might have managed this better if my piano had a lighter weight of touch.

#2614529 - 02/14/17 10:31 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:jazztpt
Experience:41
Title of piece:Time For Bed
Composer:jazztpt
Duration:02:47
Source of music:Original
Instrument used:Roland HP507
Recording method:Recorded direct to piano and converted to MP3 in Audacity
Additional info:I wrote this tune about 30 years ago and it has taken various transformations in that time, mainly because I (hopefully) can play the piano a bit better now. It was written as a bedtime song for my children and the original version was really quiet simple.
A couple of recordings of this up to date version have appeared in the Piano Bar in the past few years and this is the latest development. Recorded in one take there is the odd moment where 'unexpected' things happened, no doubt due to the red dot but I managed to plough through. So in effect I have been playing this for 30+ years, you'd think I would have it right by now LOL
Thanks for listening.

#2614530 - 02/14/17 10:32 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Moonsh1ne
Experience:3.5 years
Video link:https://youtu.be/nry2ntlqzlY
Title of piece:Waltz in A Minor, Op. Posthumous
Composer:Frederick Chopin
Duration:02:17
Source of music:imslp.org
Instrument used:August Forster 190
Recording method:iPad w/ Tascam iM2
Additional info:2nd take

#2614531 - 02/14/17 10:32 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:lyricmudra
Experience:Learned piano as a child but stopped when I was about 13 or 14 years old. Did not touch the piano for 35 years until about six years ago. Like many of us here at ABF, life and profession just took over. I remember learning from a Thompson book and moving on to Hanon lessons, but skipping the scale exercises entirely, which if I recall correctly was almost half of the Hanon book. Then I had some Czerny for velocity and dexterity. My piano teacher, however, preferred that I jump right into 'real' pieces and learn technique along the way. Unfortunately, music theory was not part of my lessons. This is why I am unable to comprehend a piece conceptually or structurally, or why I don't have the language to explain what I am doing musically. My early training lacked this intellectual component. However, I believe I learned the most by being part of a boys' choir, by understanding early enough that playing the piano is like singing, knowing the importance of connectedness (legato) and phrasing, and understanding the breath during emotional expression. These were the elements that accelerated my process of relearning the piano later in life. I have not had a piano teacher since I started the relearning process, but would like to work with one in the future. I am willing to start at a more basic level if that will provide me with a more 'proper' and thorough training that includes sight reading, aural training, music theory, etc.. For now, I play the piano primarily for pleasure and personal fulfillment.
Video link:https://youtu.be/z3BObRsWkHQ
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/user/lyricmudra
Title of piece:Monday
Duration:06:17
Instrument used:Kawai RX-2 Blak
Recording method:Kodak Zi8 (video) and Zoom H4N (audio)
Additional info:Having been inspired by Monica K.'s, CarlosCC's, and others' Einaudi repertoire, I thought I'd give THE man a try! I fell in love with Einaudi's 'Monday' the first time I heard it, and thoroughly enjoyed learning the piece. It is my first 'non-classical' piece and the very first I've memorized as an adult learner (I had no choice given its length!). Being primarily a classical piano learner, there were several unfamiliar musical patterns in the piece that my brain and fingers were challenged with. It also took some amount of 'unlearning' my classical piano leanings, which I believe still showed through in this performance. I hope you all like it though!

#2614532 - 02/14/17 10:32 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:carlos88
Experience:4 as a returning adult.
Video link:https://youtu.be/Ak0muHqAsoI
Title of piece:Our Town, III. The Resting-place on the Hill
Composer:Aaron Copland
Duration:03:50
Source of music:Our Town, Three Piano Excerpts from the Film Score.
Instrument used:Yamaha
Recording method:Samsung phone
Additional info:I'm a sucker for most of Copland's earlier works, especially the ones with open chords and slow moving lines.

#2614534 - 02/14/17 10:33 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:sinophilia
Experience:5 years
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhqxFyTILgs
Title of piece:A Curious Story - Op. 15 no. 2
Duration:01:21
Instrument used:Yamaha W110BW
Recording method:iPhone 6s
Additional info:Scenes from Childhood is a set of 13 Romantic pieces by Robert Schumann. This is the third one I learned after nos. 1 and 13. It has a thick 4-voice texture and an upbeat tempo, with contrasting jumpy sections and softer legato parts.

I learned the notes quickly, but the pedalling gave me headaches and my left hand has a hard time keeping up. Thank God it's short! During this recording I hit a key by mistake during the first part repeat, but didn't have any other major mishap, so it's definitely a winner.

#2614535 - 02/14/17 10:33 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:CASINITALY (Cheryl)
Experience:7
Title of piece:Minuet in G 116 BWV
Composer:J.S. Bach
Instrument used:Yamaha P112N (Silent feature used)
Recording method:audacity to pc
Additional info:I had hoped to have the tuner over and play in acoustic mode, but the flu intervened and not only did I not get the piano tuned, I didn't touch the piano for days. So....
I'd have liked to have done better, but here we are.

I don't remember when I first heard this piece, but I do remember that I thought, and still think, it is quite charming.

I hope my rendition today gives you a sense of its cheery nature.

Breakfast was blueberry pancakes with maple syrup.

#2614536 - 02/14/17 10:34 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Zoot64
Experience:Piano exam pieces ABRSM grade 4
Title of piece:La Lutine
Composer:J P Kirnberger
Duration:01:15
Instrument used:Casio PX 150
Recording method:Headphone out into M audio interface
Additional info:The first grade 4 pieces I've tried to learn to performance standard. This performance is slower than instructed, but will try and improve tempo through the next few months.

Defintiely found the pieces a challenge, especially some of the runs on the right and left hand. Not sure if I've got the "balance" between both hands correct in terms of volume but oh well.

#2614537 - 02/14/17 10:34 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Mike White Yamaha G3 & p-80
Experience:Lifetime by ear, self-teaching since the beginning of the recitals
Title of piece:Stormy Weather
Composer:Harold Arlen & Ted Koehler
Duration:01:39
Source of music:play-by-ear
Instrument used:Yamaha P-80
Additional info:This was so much easier than trying to read music. I recorded it on the first try!

#2614538 - 02/14/17 10:34 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Piano Primo 1
Experience:8
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaKQw2tiNmw
Home page link:http://wp.me/p5jsTm-1p
Title of piece:"Inspiration" -Love Theme
Composer:Matt Dennis a.s.c.a.p.
Duration:01:44
Instrument used:casio px pinao
Recording method:dirct to laptop
Additional info:original was -, Debussy, then Schubert, then i got the flu ... and decided to submit a piece I was somewhat familiar with and I like the lazy feeling of the piece. Thanks for listening .

#2614539 - 02/14/17 10:35 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:UnderConstruction
Experience:Returning adult, 2.5 years as child, 25 months as an adult
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh_zRBcSVNE&t=83s
Title of piece:Nocturne Op9 No2
Composer:F. Chopin
Duration:04:59
Source of music:sheet music from imslp
Instrument used:Yamaha GC1
Recording method:iPad + Tascam
Additional info:Chosen a slightly slower tempo, hopefully not too slow. :-)

#2614540 - 02/14/17 10:35 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:briangmoore
Experience:On and off a few years now.
Title of piece:Scarlatti Sonata in D minor K32
Composer:Domenico Scarlatti
Duration:01:43
Source of music:Dover "Scarlatti Masterpieces"
Instrument used:Boston upright, probably fairly new (college practice room)
Recording method:Zoom H2
Additional info:I have been so busy I have missed I think two recitals now! I am glad to finally have something to submit. This piece is in part motivated by some very nice Scarlatti in recent recitals, especially the Sonata in F Minor, K. 466 by lyricmudra on the last recital and the the K 208 by PikaPianist on the Baroque themed recital April last year. I liked these a lot, so that stimulate me to open the Dover book of Scarlatti I had bought some time ago, and it turns out to be quite good (hey! fingering!).

The K32 is quite simple, on a par with the simple Bach minuets. Yet if you go to youtube you can find some very good pianists performing it. One new thing for me was I decided to add some light ornamentation, even though it no trills, etc. are indicated in the score. This is my first attempt to play a Baroque piece with ornaments not explicitly spelled out.

#2614541 - 02/14/17 10:36 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:PikaPianist
Video link:https://youtu.be/3fFrfAabip0
Title of piece:Sonata in A minor (Wq49/1), 3rd mvmt
Composer:CPE Bach
Duration:05:03
Source of music:IMSLP
Instrument used:Kawai CS7 + VI Labs Ravenscroft 275 VST
Additional info:A new composer for a new recital. This time: CPE Bach

This is an extremely frantic and agitated rendition of the third movement of CPE Bach's wonderful Württemberg Sonata number 1. This Sonata is a rare gem. CPE Bach should be known for more than just his famous Solfeggietto!

It is labelled Allegro Assai, but it ended up being more of a Presto Agitato. It has been stressful trying to record the piece. You can hear some of my frustrated emotions throughout the interpretation, which translated into rushed passages and hectic rhythms. I often find that my mood on the day ends up being mixed into the piano recording, which gives it that extra bit of character.

#2614542 - 02/14/17 10:37 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:BSharp(C)yclist (Dan)
Experience:A little over a year of formal lessons, although there were about 3 months last year I didn't go/play due to travel.
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfKMhC9WkdM
Title of piece:Sonatina in C (Op. 36, No. 1, II - Andante)
Composer:Clementi
Duration:01:22
Source of music:RCM 2015 Level 3 Repertoire Book.
Instrument used:Yamaha Arius YDP-181
Recording method:Audio out from digital piano into microphone of Sony FDR-AX33 HandyCam. MP3 was then extracted from MP4 file using FFmpeg. See YouTube link for video.
Additional info:I was uncertain of what to submit. I thought about Clowns by Kabalevsky or Arabesque by Burgmuller. All three are pieces from RCM Level 3. I plan to take the exam at the end of May.

#2614543 - 02/14/17 10:37 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:lvojnovic
Experience:14 months
Title of piece:BWV 939 Little prelude in C major
Composer:Johann Sebastian Bach
Duration:00:40
Instrument used:Kawai CN41
Additional info:A very short piece I learned a month ago. Not my first choice for this recital, but I could not manage to record a decent version of BWV999.

#2614544 - 02/14/17 10:37 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Montuno
Experience:1 year
Title of piece:Solitude
Composer:David Nevue
Duration:02:47
Instrument used:Casio PX-150
Recording method:Pianoteq (D4 Classical Recording BA)
Additional info:My second recital, my second David Nevue. There were a number of pieces by other composers I considered and did some preparatory work on. But I went for this one in the end because it is a great stepping stone for these harder pieces.

Solitude is fun to play and a great way to work on expressiveness and rubato. I am pretty satisfied with this recording. When I play the first repeat of the central theme towards the end I didn't get the flow right, but that's the perfectionist in me talking.

I am very proud that I am able to play stuff like this only one year after struggling with the most simple arrangement of Jingle Bells in Alfred's 1 and I already look forward to the next recital.

#2614545 - 02/14/17 10:37 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:blackjack1777
Experience:Just under 2 and a half years with approximately 2 Hours per day of practice time on average. (Using Alfred's All in One with a Piano Teacher weekly and some outside repertoire)
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/blackjack1777/
Title of piece:Waltz A Minor Op. Posthumous
Composer:Frederic Chopin
Duration:02:26
Source of music:Memorized from Alfred's Masterworks Edition, edited by Willard Palmer, 2nd Edition
Instrument used:2014 Wm. Knabe & Co. 48" Academy Series Upright Acoustic Piano (Model WMV 121)
Recording method:Tascam DR-05 and Audacity Software
Additional info:This Waltz is one of Chopin's best known works with a lovely, if not somewhat sad, melody. The waltz seems to go by multiple names - Waltz in A minor Op. Posthumous, B. 150, KK IVb/11, P. 2/11, and often designated as No. 19

It was composed by Chopin for solo piano sometime between 1843 and 1848, but was not published until 1955!!

I enjoy the mood of this piece because it is uncharacteristically sad for a waltz although there are hints at hope or happiness in some parts of it. There is a main theme which is repeated multiple times and decorated with lots of ornaments.

I like to imagine patrons dressed in fancy clothes dancing while Chopin played at the center of a gilded ballroom in France sometime in the 1800s. And as he plays surround by gaiety, dancing, and laughing there is a sadness about Chopin himself. I can only imagine how beautiful and artistic the playing and how extraordinarily decadent the party...It makes me wish for a time machine.

Overall, I really love this piece and I hope you enjoy my performance. Please feel free to provide me your feedback. I know I can improve many of things and I will continue working hard to make it better. For right now I will take a rest and move on to new repertoire. smile

#2614546 - 02/14/17 10:38 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Patbreaker
Title of piece:Prelude in c minor
Composer:Bach
Duration:02:45

#2615207 - 02/16/17 06:40 PM Re: Recital 45 --- February 15, 2017 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
500 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Orange County, California
Oops, wrong forum .. smile

Last edited by bSharp[C]yclist; 02/16/17 08:08 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
What's Hot!!
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
To Shake up the Digital Piano scene?
by peterws. 06/22/17 06:08 PM
HELP: Lirika String Measurements
by Lirika. 06/22/17 05:01 PM
Chopin Revolutionary Etude - Tempo?
by hag01. 06/22/17 02:25 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics180,398
Posts2,638,313
Members88,164
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Check It Out!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission