Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
141 registered members (agraffe, akc42, AnthonyPaulO, AlphaBravoCharlie, amad23, 7uturu, Animisha, anamnesis, 38 invisible), 1,292 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Kawai CS11 vs Casio GP500? [Re: aokman] #2603978
01/13/17 09:52 AM
01/13/17 09:52 AM
Florida
M
motomike1961 Offline
motomike1961  Offline
M

Florida
I've played both the CS11 and GP500. They both are GREAT digital pianos.

The Casio action felt the best to me although the CS11 was very close so this will come down to personal opinion.

Where these 2 instruments differ immensely is their sound/speaker systems. The Casio does not produce enough volume although you felt immersed by the sound.

The CS11 and for that matter the Yamaha CLP 585 killed the Casio in terms of volume and immersing of sound.

Has anybody experienced this also?

Mike

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Kawai CS11 vs Casio GP500? [Re: aokman] #2604099
01/13/17 02:41 PM
01/13/17 02:41 PM
F
Falsch Offline
Falsch  Offline
F

Originally Posted by aokman
Just thought I would give everyone an update now that the mad Christmas period is over.

I have been practicing on the piano and the mrs has been using it to get back up to speed again. Overall we are loving it once we became accustom to the sound signature. It was a bit muffled starting out but came alive once you really start playing it.

Couple of issues that didn't win me over though:

3rd last key has that same scratching plasticy noise I heard in the store unit. I think it might be the wood grain of the keys rubbing on each other as they aren't really sanded that smooth and have rough bits.

The polishing job on the cabinet leaves a bit to be desired in some small areas, there is significant marring / swirl marks in the middle which look hideous under the light. Not sure what passes as a good polishing job these days on acoustics... Don't really want to try polishing them out (used to do car detailing) as I don't know what the finish is.

Key spacing is good but no perfect, keys can rub on each other.

Giving it some time to bed in, settle and get used to it. One thing you have to watch out for is that the Kawai logo is not put under the clear coat (if there is one) quite easy to snag it when wiping down the cabinet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

WTH is that 'stain' on the left of the top picture?

I hope that's just something that can be wiped off, such as a handpalm print, because if this is what the finish looks like, I would never have accepted it.

The lower picture shows some sort of circle. I'd consider that... sloppy, personally.

I'll have to take a very close look at my LX-17, but I haven't seen anything like this as of yet.

Roland LX-17 PE == At GF's condo: Kawai MP7 == Currently in storage: Focal Alpha 80, Pianoteq with Kremsegg I, II and Ruckers II addons.
Re: Kawai CS11 vs Casio GP500? [Re: Falsch] #2604112
01/13/17 03:25 PM
01/13/17 03:25 PM
Germany
JoBert Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Germany
I think that "stain" (if you refer to what I think you do) is the distorted reflection of aokman's fingers and smartphone...

@aokman: If the key-rubbing doesn't go away after settling in (which I doubt it will) I would contact the vendor or Kawai to come fix it. Should be easily doable, as the keys rest on guide and balance pins just like with an acoustic action, which can be (carefully and slightly) bent by a technician to regulate the distance between keys.

Re: Kawai CS11 vs Casio GP500? [Re: aokman] #2604794
01/15/17 08:39 PM
01/15/17 08:39 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Offline

Hamamatsu, Japan
aokman,

I'm sorry to learn about these blemishes on the CS11's cabinet finish.

If you have not done so already, please contact your Kawai dealer and/or Kawai Australia directly to inform them of the situation and request assistance.

I'm confident that these matters can be resolved promptly, however the dealer/distributor must be informed in order for things to move forward.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Kawai CS11 vs Casio GP500? [Re: Lam] #2614000
02/13/17 02:16 PM
02/13/17 02:16 PM
Finland
V
valle Offline
valle  Offline
V

Finland
Originally Posted by lamadoo
I personally would choose the gp500 as it is the only 'hybrid' hammer based action besides the yamaha n1/2/3. Bechstein opted out on the escapement as it is a nuisance.

My first expression seeing the new Casio action is that it seems very similar to the Kawai actions (Grand Feel). The configuration is different: hammers are in a different place and the keys are "bent" (i.e. not straight when looked down from above) like in a real piano (grand or upright). I bet the Casio and Kawai look more different than they actually are. They seem to use same mechanical principles with the moving parts.

So my opinion - after learning about the Casio GP models just today - is that it offers little new to the scene of digital pianos. I so much wanted to see another real action like the AvantGrands have with a more reasonable price.

Personally I dislike all advertising - like Casio has now done with its GP range - that forgets about the Yamaha AvantGrands and claims that their new action is something that has never been seen in digital pianos. After all the AvantGrand is a full-on digital piano. For me it makes no difference that the manufacturer calls it a "hybrid". I see it only as a digital piano with a very good (the best?) action.

Then again, maybe the Casio GP is the best in its price range. I can't really say, because I haven't tried it...

Roland HP101e
Re: Kawai CS11 vs Casio GP500? [Re: valle] #2614010
02/13/17 02:48 PM
02/13/17 02:48 PM
Germany
JoBert Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Germany
valle: Kudos for being a relative newcomer to the forum but recognizing that the "hybrid" action in the Casios is just hype and that they do in fact simply use the same action principle that Kawai has been using in their GF and RM actions for years - just with a nice flashy plastic faux-hammer instead of a simple metal weight "hammer".

The marketing of this action was very successful, apparently, because even often-times posters here on the forum are still falling for it and calling it a "hybrid action" that is "similar to" or "like" a real grand action, even though it really isn't.

I'm not saying that it's a bad action, just that it's nothing new, and not "hybrid" - unless you classify the Kawai GFs and RMs as hybrid too (I wouldn't).

Re: Kawai CS11 vs Casio GP500? [Re: aokman] #2614022
02/13/17 03:27 PM
02/13/17 03:27 PM
France
Frédéric L Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Frédéric L  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

France
You should read about hybrid piano here : http://www.kawaius.com/hybrid/hybrid_main.html smile

Funny that Yamaha, Kawai and Casio all use the same word "hybrid", but not with the same meaning.

As I have said before : what is inside the product doesn't matter, only the felling and the sound. (And I prefer the AvantGrand).

Last edited by Frédéric L; 02/13/17 03:34 PM.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Re: Kawai CS11 vs Casio GP500? [Re: Frédéric L] #2614086
02/13/17 07:52 PM
02/13/17 07:52 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline
Kawai James  Offline

Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
You should read about hybrid piano here : http://www.kawaius.com/hybrid/hybrid_main.html smile

I believe a pretty strong case could be made for the AnyTimeX instruments as 'hybrid' pianos as these models truly do combine both acoustic and digital components. However I do not personally agree with Kawai America placing the CA97 and CS11 within this same category.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha PF-1000
by Gavin24985. 03/19/19 09:09 AM
Happy Birthday Lennie Tristano!
by Dfrankjazz. 03/19/19 05:09 AM
“Spring Time” - A beautiful song
by Vũ Trần. 03/19/19 05:08 AM
Piano action issue
by kokatla. 03/19/19 04:31 AM
Practice session of Chopin prelude 3
by baudelairepianist. 03/19/19 12:26 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics190,989
Posts2,808,076
Members92,812
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission