2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 13 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
http://ecrostech.com/ for stitching it all together and http://www.tron.org/ as the OS

Roland HP605|Senheiser HD558|MSFT Surface Pro 4|coffee
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Latest warranty info, if you`re interested. Updated Dec 2016. A surprise or two?

http://www.roland.ca/support/repairs_parts/warranty

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
P
P
Originally Posted by peterws
Latest warranty info, if you`re interested. Updated Dec 2016. A surprise or two?

http://www.roland.ca/support/repairs_parts/warranty

shocked

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
What's so surprising about that? The fact that the RD-series only has one year of warranty?

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7
(Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers II, Karsten, KIVIR, Steinway D, K2)
Intel NUC J5040, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
Would`ve expected more, wouldn`t you? V piano has a 5 year. And the FP50 is down to one year from three, when I bought it.
I guess things change . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bfb
Jay,

so i guess there is no compatibility between the early-on V-Pianos and the new engine for the HP/ LX / RD lines? As in, since all this started I've been hoping i would go to the Roland website and see a downloadable update for my V-Piano that will make it sound like these new pianos. Because it sounds NOTHING like them in its current configuration. I know my V piano has out-of-date hardware in it but I have been hoping it is powerful enough to update to the newer (... i hope newer...) set of algorithms used in the supernatural modeled pianos recently released.
I played an FP-90 a few days ago in a music store around here and was very impressed with the sound of the piano(s). But i also remember being impressed with the V-piano when i first tried it out. And that is what scares me about this move by roland. My brain is excited and hearing what it wants to hear. Just like i did when i listened to the Garritan CFX demos (people actually like this piano?..). Familiarity breeds contempt quickly with digital piano sounds...

So, surely Roland didn't just stick the V-Piano software without any re-working in these new pianos, right? if they did, i wish they'd send me the settings!!!

Having said all that, i believe i will own a FP-90 or RD 2000 within the next couple years....

I'm not affiliated with Roland anymore, but can assure you that the hardware and underlying firmware that runs the newer HP/LX series, will not run on the V-Piano. The core processor is so completely different, that there is no way that the current modelling algorithms could possibly run on the V-Piano. So no. Do not expect an update for the V-Piano that will take it to the current generation of SuperNatural Modelled sounds. It is not coming.

Jay

Industry Consultant
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Falsch
Well... Jay can at least attach a 70-200/2.8 VR to his D800 and then use that to smash his FP-90 to pieces next time half his pictures are blurry and he fails to keep time in La Campanella smile

Then, obviously, the only course of action will be to become an origami teacher.

(j/k, Jay smile )

Can't waste a perfectly good body and lens combo. (It's the D810 now!)

Jay

Industry Consultant
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by bfb
Jay,

so i guess there is no compatibility between the early-on V-Pianos and the new engine for the HP/ LX / RD lines? As in, since all this started I've been hoping i would go to the Roland website and see a downloadable update for my V-Piano that will make it sound like these new pianos. Because it sounds NOTHING like them in its current configuration. I know my V piano has out-of-date hardware in it but I have been hoping it is powerful enough to update to the newer (... i hope newer...) set of algorithms used in the supernatural modeled pianos recently released.
I played an FP-90 a few days ago in a music store around here and was very impressed with the sound of the piano(s). But i also remember being impressed with the V-piano when i first tried it out. And that is what scares me about this move by roland. My brain is excited and hearing what it wants to hear. Just like i did when i listened to the Garritan CFX demos (people actually like this piano?..). Familiarity breeds contempt quickly with digital piano sounds...

So, surely Roland didn't just stick the V-Piano software without any re-working in these new pianos, right? if they did, i wish they'd send me the settings!!!

Having said all that, i believe i will own a FP-90 or RD 2000 within the next couple years....

You've been gone a while Bruce! Yes, familiarity breeds contempt, you are quite right. An acoustic seems to evolve over time. It's never quite the same and that can frustrate but also delight in equal measure. I'm afraid you are on your own with your V-Piano. Roland has moved on....

B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Hi Steve.... it took me a few years to remember my password.....

Bruce

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
B
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Here is the complete listing of the RD-2000 V-Piano parameters:
TONE COLOR
LID
STRING RESONANCE
DAMPER RESONANCE
HAMMER NOISE
DUPLEX SCALE
KEY OFF RESONANCE
CABINET RESONANCE
SOUNDBOARD RESONATOR
DAMPER NOISE
KEY OFF NOISE

Here is the list of the V-Piano and V-Piano parameters:
SOUND LIFT
SOFT PEDAL SENSE
STRING RESONANCE
DAMPER RESONANCE
SOUNDBOARD RESONANCE
KEY OFF RESONANCE
UNISON TUNE
STRETCH TUNE
HAMMER HARDNESS
CROSS RESONANCE
DECAY TIME
TONE COLOR
DAMPING TIME
DAMPER NOISE LEVEL

Here is a list of the HP603, HP605, LX7 and LX17 parameters (Sound designer):
Lid 0–6
Key Off Noise Off, 1–10
Hammer Noise -2–0–2
Duplex Scale Off, 1–10
Full Scale String Res. Off, 1–10
Damper Resonance Off, 1–10
Key Off Resonance Off, 1–10
Cabinet Resonance Off, 1–10
Soundboard Type 1–5
Damper Noise Off, 1–10

You will not be able to use RD-2000 settings in the HP, LX or V-Pianos.
The individual string settings are not on these lists.

The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
AFAIK, the HP/LX have everything the RD-2000 has, except Tone Color. But the HP/LX do have a Brightness setting, which basically does the same thing. They also have an individual note character, which also affect the piano's tone.

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7
(Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers II, Karsten, KIVIR, Steinway D, K2)
Intel NUC J5040, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Falsch

I'm even inclined to say that if you don't have an acoustic to compare to, or a very good professional setup to start from, changing the settings is useless because you could easily be creating a piano that can't even exist.

That isn't actually a problem for most people. All instruments never existed until they were invented.

The V-piano itself can (it is claimed) replicate a piano with silver strings that cannot be physically produced.

When technicians started to invent pianos that were electric rather than acoustic they also produced different and new sounds that have now, in many different forms become acceptable instruments in their own right.

Last edited by slipperykeys; 02/13/17 05:35 AM.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by slipperykeys

That isn't actually a problem for most people.

Indeed - for some, being able to do that is a big reason to use physical modelling at all.

The V-piano itself can (it is claimed) replicate a piano with silver strings that cannot be physically produced.

It seems that the "silver" is not to be taken to literally - I think it's meant to convey that the sound is "silvery" in character, but it's not actually physically modelling silver strings per se, if this Pianoteq forum post is correct.
EDIT: Upon re-reading the rest of that thread, it seems that it MAY actually be legit afterall - it's modelling silver WRAPPED strings. smile (I had completely forgotten about that)

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 02/13/17 06:33 AM.
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Regarding the VST discussion vs. hardened chips, I would like to mention that my current digital piano is ready to play in (feels like) 5 seconds. Just pressing a button. My 3 year old grandchild can use it, as well. I have doubts about a VST setup to be so trouble free and so fast to readily use it.

P
P
Originally Posted by Wuffski
Regarding the VST discussion vs. hardened chips, I would like to mention that my current digital piano is ready to play in (feels like) 5 seconds. Just pressing a button. My 3 year old grandchild can use it, as well. I have doubts about a VST setup to be so trouble free and so fast to readily use it.

Nothing so easy as a hardware digital. However a good computer with ssd's and a mildly sized piano vst gets you there in 15-20 seconds too.
And if you used the computer for a few vst's only it is going to be very stable.
Children find it easier to start a computer and click on a few icons than searching for a button...... kidding !

Last edited by pianistje; 02/13/17 11:30 AM.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by pianistje
Originally Posted by Wuffski

Nothing so easy as a hardware digital. However a good computer with ssd's and a mildly sized piano vst gets you there in 15-20 seconds too.
And if you used the computer for a few vst's only it is going to be very stable.
Children find it easier to start a computer and click on a few icons than searching for a button...... kidding !

As a point of reference regarding boot time, the V-Piano and V-Grand take approximately 30 seconds to load all their data and become ready to play.

That doesn't bother me, but for some folks it probably would be a sticking point. I still remember booting from 8" floppies on my CP/M system back in the late 70s and early 80s. smile

For some reason, I really don't care to use computers for my music (i.e. VSTs, sequencers, etc.), except my Microsoft Surface Pro 4 for learning (i.e. video and audio teaching lessons). My personal preference is for an all-in-one digital piano with a cabinet and speakers. Others obviously have different preferences.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
B
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
The RD-2000 looks to be kin to the HP-LX more than the V-Piano

HP603,605,LX7 and LX17------RD-2000 V-PIANO
Lid--------------------------------LID
Key Off Noise--------------------KEY OFF NOISE
Hammer Noise-------------------HAMMER NOISE
Duplex Scale---------------------DUPLEX SCALE
Full Scale String Resonance----STRING RESONANCE
Damper Resonance--------------DAMPER RESONANCE
Key Off Resonance--------------KEY OFF RESONANCE
Cabinet Resonance--------------CABINET RESONANCE
Soundboard Type----------------SOUNDBOARD RESONATOR
Damper Noise--------------------DAMPER NOISE
Brightness------------------------TONE COLOR
Reverb----------------------------AMBIENCE

V-Piano
SOUND LIFT
SOFT PEDAL SENSE
STRING RESONANCE
DAMPER RESONANCE
SOUNDBOARD RESONANCE
KEY OFF RESONANCE
UNISON TUNE
STRETCH TUNE
HAMMER HARDNESS
CROSS RESONANCE
DECAY TIME
TONE COLOR
DAMPING TIME
DAMPER NOISE LEVEL

R
R
I mentioned this on another forum about my FP90:

I have a strong feeling that the FP90 and RD2000 are using a very (if not same) similar modeling technology. I've noticed that the default FP90 with the ambience feature enabled doesn't sound as great as I would like because the 3D headphone is enabled by default. However if you like the ambience feature (reverb) I strongly suggest you turn the 3D headphone feature off. When that's done after hearing the RD2000 piano demos, they nearly sound identical. I think it's a marketing technique to mention the V-Piano inside of the RD2000, because the Supernatural modeling technology is also V-Piano technology.

Rhodes MkII Stage 73, Yamaha CP4, Yamaha Reface CP + DX
B
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by sullivang
Originally Posted by slipperykeys

That isn't actually a problem for most people.

Indeed - for some, being able to do that is a big reason to use physical modelling at all.

It seems that the "silver" is not to be taken to literally - I think it's meant to convey that the sound is "silvery" in character, but it's not actually physically modelling silver strings per se, if this Pianoteq forum post is correct.
EDIT: Upon re-reading the rest of that thread, it seems that it MAY actually be legit afterall - it's modelling silver WRAPPED strings. smile (I had completely forgotten about that)

Greg.

Maybe Roland will put an all silver preset in the RD-2000. Maybee* an all platinum preset!!

* If the May Bees are flying.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rhodie73
I mentioned this on another forum about my FP90:

I have a strong feeling that the FP90 and RD2000 are using a very (if not same) similar modeling technology. I've noticed that the default FP90 with the ambience feature enabled doesn't sound as great as I would like because the 3D headphone is enabled by default. However if you like the ambience feature (reverb) I strongly suggest you turn the 3D headphone feature off. When that's done after hearing the RD2000 piano demos, they nearly sound identical. I think it's a marketing technique to mention the V-Piano inside of the RD2000, because the Supernatural modeling technology is also V-Piano technology.

Headphone 3D ambience, only comes out over the headphones, not out the line outs.

Jay

Industry Consultant
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission