2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,874 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by ClassicalMan
Trivia question: Who's the father of stride piano?

James P Johnson, I'd guess.

It's messy because there are not really crisp dividing lines between ragtime, novelty, stride, jazz.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
john fh #2600870 01/04/17 01:35 AM
J
john fh Offline OP
OP Offline
J
120 bpm is ok, but that brings up a question.

If I play an old tune that is, say 90 bpm and I play it at 90 bpm using the bass chord stride pattern, what is that called?

I might even play some songs slower than that like 80 or 85 bpm. Do some stride players play faster than 120 bpm, because to me it does sound like some do.

john fh #2601028 01/04/17 02:13 PM
H
H
If you're going to do some serious listening to stride, you should listen to :
- all the James P. Johnson solos (starting in 1921, I believe)
- all the Fats Waller solos from the 1929 session where there's Handful of Keys, etc
- anything you can find by Donald Lambert but that's a little harder to come by
- all the others: Joe Turner, Dick Wellstood, there are many others

And you will quickly realize that all tempos are represented. 220 bpm or above is not rare, but you'll also find slower
tempos (Numb Fumbling by Fats Waller on the 1929 session for example).

I said "start at 120" because it was a good starting point for me, the goal being to reach faster tempos later on.

But if you want to start slower, then fine. If you want to never play faster than 120, then fine. Do what you like!

If I play an old tune that is, say 90 bpm and I play it at 90 bpm using the bass chord stride pattern, what is that called?

Umm... well... I would venture to say that it's called an old tune played at 90bpm?
The tune becomes what you do with it; if you can sell it at 90bpm, or 60, or 140 it's all good.

john fh #2601065 01/04/17 04:10 PM
Guys, I found this really neat piece of software that will be solve a significant portion of playing like the masters and finding out what they actually played. It slows down those fast playing tempo songs played by James P Johnson, Waller, and the stride masters and shows the actual notes the performer played on a keyboard, and naming the notes too. So even if you don't read music it shows you what keys on piano to play. It doesn't not change the key! As a matter of fact, all you have to do is do a search in its google browser for midi files then click on them and watch the built in keyboard for the notes. It has a tempo slow down and key change features too.
Check this out and let me know what you think. I downloaded a digital copy and I've been wanting something like this for a longtime. It's too good to be true. I looked at some of the notes and treasure stuff the masters do and I'm like WOW!

http://songtutorsoftware.s3.amazonaws.com/videos/songtutornow.html

Let me know what you think!

The thought of eternal efflorescence of music is a comforting one, and comes like a messenger of peace in the midst of universal disturbance--Roman Rolland, Musicians of Former Days

Vast untapped resources lie within.
john fh #2601759 01/06/17 07:39 PM
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
What I think is that by using this method/software, you can learn by rote exactly how they (the masters) or any other original composer or performer played it and even without needing to know how to read.

It has it's merits I suppose. I was initially taught by rote, but it came with live coaching too. As I understand it, this is just the raw goods.

If you want to exactly replicate what the greats were doing, well they are bound to be difficult arrangements if they are indeed an exact copy of what they were playing. I do not doubt they would be. I do think one would also need plenty of coaching though.

Overall I am not keen on it.

My preference would be just learn to incorporate your own stride into any piece that can use it, and in your own way. If this helps bridge a gap, or provide ideas is fine, but surely would not suggest starting with the toughest or fastest. Unless just trying to replicate a single piece or very few and not really caring about actually learning stride.

To me it is learning by rote and time would be better spent either learning to do stride from lead sheets or reading transcriptions. I think.

john fh #2601873 01/07/17 05:58 AM
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Hi All

I think it all has merit. If you're not a reader, or a poor reader, then reading transcriptions of the old masters is out of the question. There certainly are accurate transcriptions out there. Conversely if you don't have a great ear (that's me) then transcribing by ear is out of the question. Sure we can all improve our weak points, but I know after 45 years of playing and studying music that my ear isn't going to get any better. Stride Piano is difficult and the only way to learn it is a way that works for you. So reading it, listening to it (definitely), using software, learning by ear and making it up from lead sheets all has merit.

In the end as an amateur there are only so many hours I can devote to playing each week. If it works for you and you're happy with the results; then do it!

Cheers

Simon

Simon

Casio PX-S3000
Korg SV2S (73)

ABRSM Grade 7 distinction 2023.
Decent blues/rock Pianist.
Try to play Jazz Piano, but pretty rubbish.
Studying ABRSM grade 8 now.

Simon_b #2601908 01/07/17 09:45 AM
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Simon_b
Stride Piano is difficult and the only way to learn it is a way that works for you. So reading it, listening to it (definitely), using software, learning by ear and making it up from lead sheets all has merit.

Yes, I'll go along with that, nearly fully. I do not think stride is as hard as we make it out to be. Most of our exposure to stride is at break neck speed though, so maybe that is why. Once you become accustomed to it and familiar with the (common) chord patterns, it is not that tough and can be far easier than other styles.

Greener #2602087 01/08/17 02:13 AM
W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Greener
I do not think stride is as hard as we make it out to be.

O.o

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
john fh #2602135 01/08/17 11:07 AM
J
john fh Offline OP
OP Offline
J
OK Scott Joplin Fans

Does any one have a list of all of the works of Scott Joplin?

Can anyone provide me a link to a public domain site where I may download some of his music if it is not copyrighted?

I have some of it but I am sure not near all of it.

I am using the book I ordered plus some sheet music of Joplin's I have to study out how he played his bases. So far I am using Swipesy Cake Walk. The more I try playing this music, The more I like it.

john fh #2602139 01/08/17 11:15 AM
J
john fh Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I plan to play whatever speed sounds the best for each song. For sure some will be slower and some at break neck speed if I practice long enough.

I did a little research and came up with Max Morath, William Bolcom, and
William Albright. All three played, at least some numbers, slower than the main ones on U-Tube now.

What can be said about Jonny May as an instructor using computer? Any comments or information available?

john fh #2602376 01/09/17 05:52 AM
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by john f
OK Scott Joplin Fans

Can anyone provide me a link to a public domain site where I may download some of his music if it is not copyrighted?

Anything before 1923 is PD in the USA, and Joplin died before then IIRC, so all his stuff should be PD.

Google the "Lester S. Levy" collection at Johns Hopkins -- you can download and print PDF scans of their PD sheet music.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
john fh #2602760 01/10/17 07:23 AM
J
john fh Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the link. While searching for PD scores I came across a book by The American School of Ragtime Playing by H. J. Beckerman. He states in the Preface of the Book that Ragtime can be made very melodious when play slowly and in strict time. Published in 1918.

john fh #2602784 01/10/17 10:15 AM
W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W

Following is the list of piano pieces. (He also composed some songs and an opera)

Marches

Crush Collision March
Combination March
THE ROSE-BUD MARCH
MARCH MAJESTIC

Waltzes

Syncopated

Bethena Waltz
Pleasant Moments

Non-syncopated

Bink's Waltz
Augustan Club Waltz
Harmony Club Waltz

Collaborations

Heliotrope Bouquet (Louis Chauvin)
Sensation (Joseph Lamb)
Lily Queen (Arthur Marshall)
Swipesy Cake Walk (Arthur Marshall)
Kismet Rag (Scott Hayden)
Felicity Rag (Scott Hayden)

Leaves

Maple Leaf Rag
Fig Leaf Rag
Rose Leaf Rag
Palm Leaf Rag

Plants

Gladiolus Rag
The Chrysanthemum
Sunflower SLOW DRAG
Weeping Willow
The Sycamore
SUGAR CANE RAG
PEACHERINE RAG

Girls

Antoinette March and Two-Step
Cleopha
Leola
Eugenia

Rags and other

Solace, A Mexican Serenade
The Entertainer
The Easy Winners
The Favorite
Stop-Time Rag
Reflection Rag
Paragon Rag
Wall Street Rag
Something Doing
The Strenuous Life
Scott Joplin's New Rag
Searchlight Rag
The Nonpareil
The Ragtime Dance
Magnetic Rag
Pine Apple Rag
Original Rags
EUPHONIC SOUNDS
THE CASCADES
COUNTRY CLUB
A BREEZE FROM ALABAMA
SILVER SWAN RAG
ELITE SYNCOPATIONS

Can anyone provide me a link to a public domain site where I may download some of his music if it is not copyrighted

All of Joplin's pieces are in the public domain and you'll be able to find the majority on imslp.org.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
john fh #2605162 01/16/17 10:13 PM
Take a look at this regrettably short clip of a pianist in the DC area...
https://www.facebook.com/borahmlee/videos/10150126157628266/

The thought of eternal efflorescence of music is a comforting one, and comes like a messenger of peace in the midst of universal disturbance--Roman Rolland, Musicians of Former Days

Vast untapped resources lie within.
john fh #2605513 01/17/17 10:36 PM
J
john fh Offline OP
OP Offline
J
He sure has a fast hand. Sounds good. I wonder at my age if I can ever get my hands to move even half that fast.

john fh #2606033 01/19/17 12:01 PM
J
john fh Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have been listening to different stride players lately. In the past I never listened to stride much except Scott Joplin's music. I have found one that plays close to what I would like to play. He is Allen Dale. He is on U-tube. He play's old tunes and some church music. I like the way he plays. There is others on U-tube I like too but I am not too much in favor of the break neck speed playing. I like to hear the melody of the song come through. I do not think I will ever improvise much, it just does not seem to be my thing. I listen to some and like it but I cannot help but wonder, where is the melody.

john fh #2607094 01/22/17 04:39 AM
J
john fh Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I am still searching around on u-tube for artist that I like the way they play. Here is another one and he plays exactly the way I would like to play stride and jazz if I ever learn enough. For sure I do not believe I will ever be near as good as he.

Check out Hank Jones on U-Tube, Oh, look at me now. His stride playing here is what I dream of being able to play like.

john fh #2607911 01/24/17 12:48 PM
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
... Here is another one and he plays exactly the way I would like to play stride and jazz if I ever learn enough. For sure I do not believe I will ever be near as good as he.

Maybe not. But maybe for one piece you could come close.

"Check out Hank Jones on U-Tube, Oh, look at me now."

Keep practicing. The guy is great. Good taste though, he has very good rhythm and a great sound. If you play a lot of stride, you could get there, in terms of what he is doing LH. He is mixing stride with shell chords played like block chords LH. Anyway it is effective and swings.

john fh #2608320 01/25/17 11:50 AM
J
john fh Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Not sure I understand shell chords and block chords. I have been looking at block chord vids tonight on u tube and they are hard to understand. They seem to leave out a lot of explanation about what they are doing and why.

A shell I think is when you play the Root and 5th or 7th of the chord in the left hand. The other notes of the chord plus melody go in the right hand. This is the same as discussed in my other thread, 6th, 7th, 9th chords. I think.

Block Chords, I am lost and I understand, all mixed together. If I understand it correctly you almost change chord on each melody note - C, D, E, G becomes CM, dm, em, G7 in your right hand with a melody note on top, while playing a C, F, or G7 chord in your l.h. in the key of C.

Then the U-Tube went on to explain that there are two ways to play block chords and my brain went dahhhhh blank.

john fh #2608393 01/25/17 03:28 PM
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Just meant he wasn't always playing the straight stride pattern like we were discussing earlier. I think it was in this thread crazy. At any rate, it seemed like he was comping around more with just the shell chords without the part on top. But he switches back and forth to regular stride. Or as I remember.

Yes, a shell just leaves out notes and is as you describe. A block chord to me, is just playing the complete chord at once and more like what you would be doing at the top of the stride.

The style has nothing to do with the progression of the piece though. When Mr. Jones is playing it seems he is changing chords every beat in LH, but really he may only be changing intervals and where he plays the chords, but still following the progression of the piece.

I see what you are getting at though. I think. You can of course always get fancy (within reason) and mix things up with your own little riffs and progressions to add appeal and your own style. Fine if it comes later.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission