2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
billb Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Well the new piano is settling in nicely but I have questions about what to use to clean the satin finish. Shortly after arrival at the house (as the movers were leaving the driveway) my wife went to work cleaning the smudges and dust and ?oily substance off the piano. The thing she says worked best was Pledge sprayed onto a cloth. When the tuner was out he became somewhat quiet as he, I believe, shifted into "Oh My God you did what" mode. He states that the lemon oil in pledge clogs the pores in the finish. The piano looks pretty good now but if there is a less lengthy process or substance to get fingerprints off with that would be great as it takes some work to clean even with the pledge. And of course we don't want to damage the finish. Plain water suggested by tuner does not work for fingerprints. Any suggestions for the future for our piano? Thanks.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Cory's Satin Sheen works very well.

Cory\'s Satin Sheen

Piano Technician/Tuner
Use a small amount of 50/50 denatured alcohol and water on a clean cotton rag.

Piano Technician
B
billb Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Can I pick up the denatured alcohol at Home Depot or the like?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Billb,
try clicking on Pianosupplies.com on the right side of the page. They have polishes for your piano there.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Do you want to clean it or grease it up?

If you want to clean it a spray bottle with Murphy's oil soap (flax seed soap) and water. Mist and wipe with the grain with a 100% cotton cloth. Or, naptha on a rag wiped with the grain (well ventilated room).

Pledge will soften the finish over a period of time. Alchol is a solvent for some natural finishes if allowed to sit on the finish for more than a few seconds. Satin Sheen will gloss up the finish, but then make it look blotchy as it dries out. Also adds some silicone to the finish making it more difficult to repair if necessary.

Piano Technician, member Piano Technicians Guild.
B
billb Offline OP
OP Offline
B
We are looking to clean not make shine though it is looking more high gloss with the Pledge. I can easily get Murphy's oil soap and wondered if there is a particular ratio of Murphys to water that you have used Craigen, We like the satin finish look so appreciate all the ideas to help maintain that look. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
A chamois dampened with water....mix a drop or 2 of dish soap with the water.....a simple, safe and cheap solution! Cuts grease & fingerprints...leaves no residue.

Please don't use Pledge or any kind of furniture polish that will grease up your beautiful finish.

Mat D.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
And especially, don't use anything containing silicone.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Follow directions on the Murphy's concentrate. The premixed in the spray bottle can be used as is. Available in most grocery stores in the cleaning products section. A natural product, and smells good too.

Piano Technician, member Piano Technicians Guild.
N
N
I asked the dealer from whom I recently bought my piano. The mahogany case has a satin finish.

Here's the reply:

As far as the furniture is concerned we always use a lightly dampened lint free towel or cloth to remove finger prints- nothing too wet, though. It's best not to use any furniture polish as that tends to leave a residue on the satin case and will make it appear dull. Also, always rub in one vertical direction only. This will prevent any hairlines in the top layer of lacquer.

B
billb Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks to everyone again. We are going to try the above as we just moved the piano AGAIN and have more hand prints but the piano looks great!!! :-) Piano lessons start in 2 weeks!!! Can't wait.

Although the focus is a satin finish, from the perspective of a glossy finish, I would wonder if a microfiber cloth might also be a general recommendation for any fine wood finsh for which you want to maximize life. I am familiar with taking care of a car finish which can rapidly develop damage to its glossy finish just using a cotton cloth, no matter how soft it feels or how clean you believe it to be.

So regardless of the cleanser you use or the finish, I would recommend use of a clean MICROFIBER cloth to avoid the tiny scratches caused by cotton cloths. It is what I use on my piano.

Rod Michael
Mason & Hamlin AA, SN 93018
Yamaha CGP-1000, SN UCNZ01010
Zoom Q3
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by billb:
Thanks to everyone again. We are going to try the above as we just moved the piano AGAIN and have more hand prints but the piano looks great!!! :-) Piano lessons start in 2 weeks!!! Can't wait.
Bill...I hope "the above" means simple damp cloth or chamois (try the drop of dish soap to cut the grease of fingerprints)...... please don't use polish or Murphy's, you'll regret it...

that makes A TOTAL OF $.04 worth of advice.
Mat D.

B
billb Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks Mat D. Probably comes out to more than $.04. Off to get a chamois, the one I use on the car no doubt has "stuff" on it I don't want on the piano. The reason part of me wants to use Murphy's is that we have Pledge all over it and it is shinier than I like so wanted to get the oil or whatever off it. But I will try the drop of dish detergent first to see if that works and anything more on a verrrrry inconspicuous place. Thanks again!

P
P
How did it turn out? I am currently shopping for a piano and while I love the satin finishes, the sales woman broke my heart when she told me to avoid it all costs because it can't be cleaned of fingerprints, etc. Was she right? Did you prove her wrong?

Thanks!

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
She is completely wrong. Just use a slightly dampened, soft cotton rag, and wipe in the direction of the rub marks. I usually just use mild dish soap and water, but the Cory's products work very well too.

Rich Lindahl
Piano Restorations in Central CT
www.rivervalleypiano.com
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Many of us prefer and own satin.

The salesperson is either showing her bias OR selling her stock of shinies!!!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
I would humbly suggest a damp microfiber cloth to clean your piano. It's what I use on my PE finish with good result. Microfiber does not scratch as does a cotton cloth and it's easier to keep clean than a chamois. Microfiber is the preferred means to dry automotive finishes to avoid the scratching caused by cotton. Microfiber absorbs more water than a chamois (obviously not an issue with your piano). After wiping with a damp microfiber, I sometimes use a dry one to insure against water spotting; although, water spotting is not a usual problem with a microfiber cloth.

Rod Michael
Mason & Hamlin AA, SN 93018
Yamaha CGP-1000, SN UCNZ01010
Zoom Q3
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

will swiffer duster not work here?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission